HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 01:39 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Was reading the posts about Titan Fall so I thought I would check it out. I'm not usually into shooters, but damn this looks spectacular.

Here's the trailer:

Old
06-18-2013, 01:46 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
It's getting 'piss me off' hard, but it's mostly fun hard. I'm not exactly the best game player either, but some of my trouble is that I have to wrap my head around not playing it like a video game (kill everything!) and play it more like real life (run, hide, run some more, leave dozens of still-breathing bad guys behind me). If I think about it like that, it's 'fun hard' and very thrilling.

But some parts, where I kind of have to be typical-video-game guy and kill everything, those are getting piss-me-off hard. I'm dying a lot.
Oh cool. Do you at least get to save at any time? I'm still not sure when I'll get to it, but I'm convinced I have to at some point

06-18-2013, 02:12 AM
JonQuixote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Oh cool. Do you at least get to save at any time? I'm still not sure when I'll get to it, but I'm convinced I have to at some point
Yeah, you can save whenever, but I think it will only ever save at the "checkpoint". There are a lot of them, but it's still frustrating to kill 2/5 guys, save, have the 3rd kill go bad, and then have to start at 0/5 again.

I think it's a really cool game, but I have a very short tolerance/attention span and I suspect I'm going to peter-out before I finish.

Old
06-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Was reading the posts about Titan Fall so I thought I would check it out. I'm not usually into shooters, but damn this looks spectacular.

Here's the trailer:

Looks like COD with mechs and jet packs. But I loved COD 4 and this looks fun.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Perfect_Drug

You know. The more i think about this, the more I'm warming up to the Xbone:

I think this is how it will play out:

PS4 = Single Player console. Great for single player games, disc swapping, used games, and self contained experiences.

Xbone = The Multiplayer console. Daily patches, tweaks, introducing new items/maps/characters on the fly, with more pronounced league systems, and cloud integration. Gameplay balancing will happen automatically. All games will be designed with the backbone of a persistent world. Bugs will be squashed quite rapidly.

I think I'm back to thinking of getting both consoles.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:47 AM
GreatKeith

Nintendo is for people who have friends close by.

Microsoft is for people who have friends far away.

And Sony is for people with no friends at all.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:50 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Yeah, you can save whenever, but I think it will only ever save at the "checkpoint". There are a lot of them, but it's still frustrating to kill 2/5 guys, save, have the 3rd kill go bad, and then have to start at 0/5 again.

I think it's a really cool game, but I have a very short tolerance/attention span and I suspect I'm going to peter-out before I finish.
If you've played Dark Souls (or Demon's souls), how would you say the difficulty compares?

Also, is the game free-roaming or is it more mission based (like, say, Infamous)?

Old
06-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
It will if Sony keeps throwing around free games when the PS4 is out as they have with the PS3.

Almost every owner of a PS4 will be playing their games online primarily. So basically every owner of a PS4 will be subscribed to PS+.

Sony is using free games to get PS3 owners to sign up for PS+, but when the subscription is essentially mandatory for the PS4, I can't help but wonder if Sony will keep offering the same incentives.
They said they will be putting up a PS4 game a month, along with the PS3 and Vita games. One PS4 game will pay for the subscription itself.

The thing to notice with PS+ games that come up for free are ones that either have a ton of DLC or are basically advertising for an upcoming sequel. They make their money back.

Old
06-18-2013, 10:07 AM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
You know. The more i think about this, the more I'm warming up to the Xbone:

I think this is how it will play out:

PS4 = Single Player console. Great for single player games, disc swapping, used games, and self contained experiences.

Xbone = The Multiplayer console. Daily patches, tweaks, introducing new items/maps/characters on the fly, with more pronounced league systems, and cloud integration. Gameplay balancing will happen automatically. All games will be designed with the backbone of a persistent world. Bugs will be squashed quite rapidly.

I think I'm back to thinking of getting both consoles.
you are selling PS+ way too short...all the free games, more indie games, great deals on upcoming games make it well worth the 50 bucks a year (also cheaper than XBL)

Old
06-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
you are selling PS+ way too short...all the free games, more indie games, great deals on upcoming games make it well worth the 50 bucks a year (also cheaper than XBL)
?

So.. thinking of getting both consoles is selling the PS4 short?

:/

BTW, XBLA is a VASTLY superior online service than the PSN. PSN hadn't even really fixed up their matchmaking until they leaked my credit card and account info. EVeryone that owns both consoles will tell you they SEE where the extra money goes with XBLA. Heck, Sony is completely reactionary when it comes to XBLA, because they never even bothered to fix this until they saw their game sales slipping due to Microsofts superiority in this space.

(And yes I own both consoles).

Also, most indie games are shovelware, so it's not a selling point for me. YES I have sifted through over 500,000 of the crappiest games ever, and it's not necessarily a hobby of mine to try all of them to see if i like them. There's maybe 1 out of every 40,000 indie games I might consider playing... and those are on Xbox one anyways (Notch's game, Blows game, Superbrothers game etc).

Sony will win the console race, that's a given, but there's no way they can compete in online space with a studio requiring 'always online' out of the box.

You tell a designer they have 100% market penetration for always online. Being always online isn't a tacked on feature.. it can be a HUGE design advantage for developers.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:00 AM
shogun99

PS+ makes me feel like i'm ripping off Sony. I've been a subscriber since it started and have probably downloaded close to 150 free games. Some good games in there also like LBP, Deus Ex etc plu a ton of PSN games. Xbox live makes me feel like i'm getting ripped off. I'll be cancelling xbox live until a really good excluisve comes out on Xbox One.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Quote:
?

BTW, XBLA is a VASTLY superior online service than the PSN. PSN hadn't even really fixed up their matchmaking until they leaked my credit card and account info. EVeryone that owns both consoles will tell you they SEE where the extra money goes with XBLA. Heck, Sony is completely reactionary when it comes to XBLA, because they never even bothered to fix this until they saw their game sales slipping due to Microsofts superiority in this space.

I love when people bring up this argument. Maybe 5 years ago it was valid. There is no discernable difference in online on 360 and PS3. Except that with PS+ you get free stuff. With Gold you see where the extra money is going when they flood your TV screen with advertisements.

For actual gameplay and stability there is nothing different.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:20 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
PC gamers are the hipsters of the video game industry. If I wanted to drop $1000+ to get a gaming computer, I would, but I prefer console gaming
I have a gaming PC and consoles. Certain games are just better on PC and certain games are better on console. I use my xbox almost exclusively for sports games right now and play games like Skyrim, GTA, Battlefield, Counter-strike etc on my PC.

I'll always have both, I love PC's because of the freedom. I have a huge catalog of N64, SNES, NES, Gamecube, GBA, NintendoDS games on my computer as well, and as previously mentioned the price is comparable to the new consoles (extra 1 or 2 hundred dollars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post

I love when people bring up this argument. Maybe 5 years ago it was valid. There is no discernable difference in online on 360 and PS3. Except that with PS+ you get free stuff. With Gold you see where the extra money is going when they flood your TV screen with advertisements.

For actual gameplay and stability there is nothing different.
That's one thing that drives me crazy with XBL... you pay a ton of money for a subscription and they still spam you with ads.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I have a gaming PC and consoles. Certain games are just better on PC and certain games are better on console. I use my xbox almost exclusively for sports games right now and play games like Skyrim, GTA, Battlefield, Counter-strike etc on my PC.I'll always have both, I love PC's because of the freedom. I have a huge catalog of N64, SNES, NES, Gamecube, GBA, NintendoDS games on my computer as well, and as previously mentioned the price is comparable to the new consoles (extra 1 or 2 hundred dollars)

That's one thing that drives me crazy with XBL... you pay a ton of money for a subscription and they still spam you with ads.
I heard that one, brother. I cannot even imagine aiming with my thumbs.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:44 AM
s7ark

Quote:
?

Also, most indie games are shovelware, so it's not a selling point for me. YES I have sifted through over 500,000 of the crappiest games ever, and it's not necessarily a hobby of mine to try all of them to see if i like them. There's maybe 1 out of every 40,000 indie games I might consider playing... and those are on Xbox one anyways (Notch's game, Blows game, Superbrothers game etc).

Sony will win the console race, that's a given, but there's no way they can compete in online space with a studio requiring 'always online' out of the box.

You tell a designer they have 100% market penetration for always online. Being always online isn't a tacked on feature.. it can be a HUGE design advantage for developers.
I am sure developers and publishers love what MS is doing for XBone. They get all the benefits and little of the flack. It's the consumers(as usual) that are getting the short end of the stick.

But hey, buy what you like. But don't be surprised if in 8 years MS decides to shut off the XBone authentication servers to force everyone to re-buy all those games for the XBtwo.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:57 AM
GreatKeith

I think too many people are buying into Sonys hype because Microsoft looks so bad. Keep in mind the PS3 failed hard against the wii and the vita isn't nearly as popular as the 3DS. Even a year after its release the vita just has games you can get on the PS3 or inferior products like their call of duty game

Old
06-18-2013, 12:10 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
?

no, you're selling the multiplayer aspects of PS3 short

you saying "XBox live is light years better" was valid 5 years ago but PS Network caught up in my opinion...plus you throw in all the deals like free games and free multiplayers, the value is there

Old
06-18-2013, 12:10 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I think too many people are buying into Sonys hype because Microsoft looks so bad. Keep in mind the PS3 failed hard against the wii and the vita isn't nearly as popular as the 3DS. Even a year after its release the vita just has games you can get on the PS3 or inferior products like their call of duty game
so did XBox

Old
06-18-2013, 12:24 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
so did XBox
That it did. Nintendo blew them both out of the water in terms of sales, but the ps3 was a distant third. I still question why Sony entered the handheld market when Nintendo has buried every competitor since day one and that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:44 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
That it did. Nintendo blew them both out of the water in terms of sales, but the ps3 was a distant third. I still question why Sony entered the handheld market when Nintendo has buried every competitor since day one and that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.
no it was 2nd

XBox was 3rd

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/13174.html

Old
06-18-2013, 12:46 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Didn't they do that in the PS2 days when Sony was destroying the Gamecube and original Xbox? I am sure Sony thought they were invincible back then. Which explains the launch of the PSP and the PS3.

It's been interesting to see MS now act with similar arrogance as Sony back when they launched the PS3. Anyone remember "the next generation starts when we say it starts"? MS acted like people would buy the XBone no matter what. And they may have already killed off their relevancy for the next generation as a result.

Frankly, the XBone announcement has been so disastrous, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see major shakeups at MS.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Quote:
Because there is a market for handheld devices that people can play things other than Cooking Mama and Animal Crossing.

If someone wants games like Call of Duty, Uncharted and so on with portability, Sony has no competition. Different markets.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:16 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Because there is a market for handheld devices that people can play things other than Cooking Mama and Animal Crossing.

If someone wants games like Call of Duty, Uncharted and so on with portability, Sony has no competition. Different markets.
Well given the overall negative reception of that CoD game there might be a reason it's untouched. The interactivity with the ps3 seems to be its selling point, as most of the vita games are already available on the ps3 or average at best. I own a 3ds so there is some bias but I bought a psp years ago with the full intention of playing it as much as my DS, but the lackluster library killed it for me. I spent more hours playing New Super Mario Bros than all of my psp games put together.

The vita could pick up in the future but with the new ssb on the horizon I don't think it's going to outsell the 3ds even with its struggles

Old
06-18-2013, 01:37 PM
fysloc

Quote:
Well given the overall negative reception of that CoD game there might be a reason it's untouched. The interactivity with the ps3 seems to be its selling point, as most of the vita games are already available on the ps3 or average at best. I own a 3ds so there is some bias but I bought a psp years ago with the full intention of playing it as much as my DS, but the lackluster library killed it for me. I spent more hours playing New Super Mario Bros than all of my psp games put together.

The vita could pick up in the future but with the new ssb on the horizon I don't think it's going to outsell the 3ds even with its struggles
To me, it really depends what kind of games you like to play on a mobile platform. I had a PSP and it lasted me longer than I expected it would, not because of what was released in north america (horrible library), but what was released in europe and asia (much better library and variety of games, not all macho man shooters). Language barriers are an issue, but some games are so fun even if you dont know the language, like Project Diva rythm games. It seems to me that 3ds was targetted more towards the younger audience, while PSP/Vita is more for the older audience, and their games library reflect that.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:13 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
To me, it really depends what kind of games you like to play on a mobile platform. I had a PSP and it lasted me longer than I expected it would, not because of what was released in north america (horrible library), but what was released in europe and asia (much better library and variety of games, not all macho man shooters). Language barriers are an issue, but some games are so fun even if you dont know the language, like Project Diva rythm games. It seems to me that 3ds was targetted more towards the younger audience, while PSP/Vita is more for the older audience, and their games library reflect that.
Agreed. I literally didn't pick up my DS after the first day. Not once. My PSP on the other hand was a staple whenever I was going somewhere and didn't have to drive. It's all about the games you like. I'm a little disappointed with my vita so far, but I can't wait to play PS4 games on it

Closed Thread