HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXI: MacT's Summer Of Fun

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 10:28 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Yeah, that fact that he was something like top 3 in dmen blocked shots a year or so ago attests to that. I really think a lot of people in the hockey world have no idea what 'soft' is.

The guy regressed badly obviously but we have no bargain in Nick 'I do nothing well' Schultz.
Isn't that more because our team allows so many shots? Really is someone going to jump out of the way of all the pucks that come towards our net? We always seem to have guys in the top 30.

This year on a team that doesn't allow as many blocked shots, Gilbert was no where near his totals of his Edmonton years.

Old
06-18-2013, 10:30 AM
joestevens29

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 3m
Isn't that 7.67? RT @tkulfan: Datsyuk's agent Greenstin says deal worth $23 million: $10 million first: 7.5 2nd; 5.5 3rd. Cap hit 7.5 mil

Old
06-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Isn't that more because our team allows so many shots? Really is someone going to jump out of the way of all the pucks that come towards our net? We always seem to have guys in the top 30.

This year on a team that doesn't allow as many blocked shots, Gilbert was no where near his totals of his Edmonton years.
Soft means you get out of the way of shots. If you are among league leaders in that cat you are not soft. Sounds like the old 'Gagner and Hemsky are soft' myths.

You can say the guy is atrocious in his own end (which he was in Edmonton) but he was not a soft player. Maybe he became one in minny.

Old
06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
HeavyHitter99

I didn't mind Gilbert when he was here. I would take him back if he is only our 5th or 6th D Playing limited minutes. I like him more than Nick Schultz but take his previous shot blocking numbers with a grain of salt. I remember he used to trip on the blue line a lot with us haha

Old
06-18-2013, 10:49 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
The Heatley contract is what needs to go, and I would think buying him out is still their best option. As for Gilbert, I haven't been following him that much either but if he does become a UFA my guess is another team would be willing to pay him ~4M. That's just how the UFA market works.

P.S. That article also mentions RFA Clutterbuck being trade bait. Would you guys be interested?
Heatley is considered injured and can't be bought out. That is why we are hearing speculation about guys like Clutterbuck being moved and Gilbert being bought out if they can't find a suitor. Konopka is rumoured to be on the way out as well.

Personally I would love to grab all 3 if we could get them cheap enough.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:02 AM
shogun99

Konopka and Clutterbuck would be huge additions for our bottom six. If Minny doesn't resign Backstrom offer Dubnyk for both those players. (Only if we sign Luongo or Bryzgalov after they get bought out)

Old
06-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
And that is what happens when you throw around 100 mil contracts

Old
06-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Heatley is considered injured and can't be bought out. That is why we are hearing speculation about guys like Clutterbuck being moved and Gilbert being bought out if they can't find a suitor. Konopka is rumoured to be on the way out as well.

Personally I would love to grab all 3 if we could get them cheap enough.
If Gilbert's value is really that low then my offer is Belanger and a 5th. Throw in an inconsequential prospect if necessary.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:10 AM
joestevens29

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 9m
Keep hearing #Kings Bernier will b traded sooner than later. With poss' Breeze buyout and Leiweke LA link, #Leafs #Flyers front-runners

Old
06-18-2013, 11:12 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Just spitballing here.

I don't know how keen Katz would be on something like this, but it certainly could help both teams.

7th(Nichushkin) + Hemsky for 3rd(Barkov) + Malone + Vinnie.

Oilers buy out Lecavalier and he re-signs with Tampa.

Oilers get some size in the top 6/9 and their big C from the draft. Costs Katz a bunch of money. Tampa gets the guy they appear to be targeting in the draft, and gets to keep their beloved Vinnie at a reduced cap hit to give StevieY some flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
If Gilbert's value is really that low then my offer is Belanger and a 5th. Throw in an inconsequential prospect if necessary.
I was thinking the less cap hit would be the biggest thing for Minnie. Belanger + Eager + Potter + 2nd for Gilbert + Clutterbuck + Konopka. They downgrade but save a bunch of money.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:19 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Just spitballing here.

I don't know how keen Katz would be on something like this, but it certainly could help both teams.

Oilers get some size in the top 6/9 and their big C from the draft. Costs Katz a bunch of money. Tampa gets the guy they appear to be targeting in the draft, and gets to keep their beloved Vinnie at a reduced cap hit to give StevieY some flexibility.

I was thinking the less cap hit would be the biggest thing for Minnie. Belanger + Eager + Potter + 2nd for Gilbert + Clutterbuck + Konopka. They downgrade but save a bunch of money.
Still think it was mentioned awhile back about a power forward not waiving to come here and the rumor was it was Malone.

Personally I'd love to get him, but I don't know if it's reality.

As for the Vinny angle. I know that nowhere does it state you can't do that, but do we really want to test Bettman?

Old
06-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Giggli G

Posted this on the main board. You will love it I am sure:

To Calgary: 7th overall + Musil

To Edmonton: Mark Giordano and Curtis Glencross

Edmonton fills its holes, Calgary goes full rebuild and gets a second top pick.

Go for it!

Last edited by Giggli G: 06-18-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old
06-18-2013, 11:32 AM
joestevens29

Kyle Cumisky signs in ANA, I was wondering if someone would take a chance on him this year.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
Posted this on the main board. You will love it I am sure:

To Calgary: 7th overall + Musil

To Edmonton: Mark Giordano and Curtis Glencross

Edmonton fills its holes, Calgary goes full rebuild and gets a second top pick.

Go for it!
No thx.
Not interested in trading potential blue chipper to Calgary.

Plus the value isn't there from us, they don't agree to that trade, we'd likely have to add a roster player.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:42 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
"In theory"... that should be enough.

Here's a paper on the theoretical values of various draft picks...

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2011/...lue-pick-chart

#6, #22, and #28 have a "value" of about 1300... while #1 has a "value" of just over 900. So that should be enough premium paid to get a deal done... but that all goes out the window when you have the #1 pick, and have the choice between 2 potential franchise players like MacKinnon/Jones. Hard to move that pick for only other lower draft picks imo. I think a solid established NHL roster talent would also have to be in the package to get a deal done.

I think theoretical values for various picks works out better for lower picks but #1 in a very strong draft is a special case.

Would the Oilers move the #1 pick (if they had it) this year for #6, #22 and #28? Not on your life. They'd run to the podium... pick MacKinnon/Jones and be on their merry way... only way they'd trade that pick is for a legit #1 dman or elite established centre... and it's doubtful any team would give that up so like the last 3 years... the Oilers would simply keep and make the pick.
This paper drastically underrates the picks near the top of the draft, particularly when you limit the data range to include only recent top picks (when drafting has become much more accurate).

Old
06-18-2013, 11:46 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
This paper drastically underrates the picks near the top of the draft, particularly when you limit the data range to include only recent top picks (when drafting has become much more accurate).
I don't think it drastically underrates them thats for sure. It is almost a law of fandom, fan's always value draft pick higher then they are worth. IF you put up any trade suggesting trading picks fans never like it. They see every pick as becoming a star. Any way. We over rate picks, and we over rate top picks.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
No thx.
Not interested in trading potential blue chipper to Calgary.

Plus the value isn't there from us, they don't agree to that trade, we'd likely have to add a roster player.
We could add Belanger, Peckham, Potter, Etc. Etc. with little to no loss to us.

It addresses our two biggest needs. Awesome tough LW and solid top 4 puck moving defenseman. Both around 30 years old so neither fresh nor old, signed for 2 and 3 years, potential extension options.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Glencross-Gagner-Yakupov

Giordano-Schultz
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Belov/Fistric

Flames net two top prospects at once instead of having to stagger them by year. That will help their rebuild.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:50 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Still think it was mentioned awhile back about a power forward not waiving to come here and the rumor was it was Malone.

Personally I'd love to get him, but I don't know if it's reality.

As for the Vinny angle. I know that nowhere does it state you can't do that, but do we really want to test Bettman?
Someone is going to test this out. It's been all over the media as a possible option for teams. It may as well be us.

Besides what would Bettman's argument be? Teams are allowed to trade players. Teams are allowed 2 buyouts that don't affect the cap. Teams are allowed to sign UFAs.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:52 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
We could add Belanger, Peckham, Potter, Etc. Etc. with little to no loss to us.

It addresses our two biggest needs. Awesome tough LW and solid top 4 puck moving defenseman. Both around 30 years old so neither fresh nor old, signed for 2 and 3 years, potential extension options.

Flames net two top prospects at once instead of having to stagger them by year. That will help their rebuild.
My biggest problem is with the style both play their careers can be over anytime. Just seems once you hit that 30 the drop off can come out of nowhere. Glencross for example is already getting injury prone.

They are both guys I'd prefer trading a 15th or later pick with a prospect for. Adding them together doesn't make me want to give up the 7th+

Old
06-18-2013, 11:53 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Someone is going to test this out. It's been all over the media as a possible option for teams. It may as well be us.

Besides what would Bettman's argument be? Teams are allowed to trade players. Teams are allowed 2 buyouts that don't affect the cap. Teams are allowed to sign UFAs.
Bettman or the PA could go the collusion route. Although I don't know if the PA would be against it.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:54 AM
joestevens29

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 3m
Flames acquire Corban Knight from Florida for a fourth round pick in 2013 draft.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:55 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Just spitballing here.

I'd do it but that's a crap load of money for Katz to spend, ultimately it would be up to him if he wants to throw 30 million to move up a couple spots and swap Hemsky for Malone.

Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 3m
Flames acquire Corban Knight from Florida for a fourth round pick in 2013 draft.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Calgary Oilers

Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 3m
Too bad for us; however, I was prepared for this news...

Old
06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 3m

Well, at least we'll be able to see him play.

Good for him.

If they gave up a fourth, that means they know they can sign him.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
GreatKeith

Who is he?

Closed Thread