HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

C. Giroux: 8-year contract extension (ESPN: $66.2m, $8.275m AAV, NMC) upds in post #1

Old
06-18-2013, 09:49 AM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
If your boss came to you and asked you to take a pay cut, would you?

While Roo will still be getting a raise, signing for a hometown discount is no different than taking a pay cut.
He might not take less but that's a terrible analogy there, you're comparing a guy who makes millions playing a child's game to an average joe.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:56 AM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 50
People need to realize major league sports are businesses. The more money the business earns, the more its employees will be paid. As long as millions of fans are watching the teams and dishing out the cash, salaries will be huge.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:01 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
If your boss came to you and asked you to take a pay cut, would you?

While Roo will still be getting a raise, signing for a hometown discount is no different than taking a pay cut.
I like where I work and honestly if my boss came to me and said "we can only give you a 75% raise due to financial problems. We know you can get a 100% raise somewhere else but we just can't do that right now" I would take the 75% raise instead of having to look for another job in a different city with people that I don't know. I'm happy where I am, I like where I live and the people I work with. The extra 25% wouldn't be enough for me to uproot my life. So, yes, I'd take less money.

And it really isn't a pay cut if you take less money than you could get elsewhere. A pay cut is when you have to make lifestyle changes to account for bringing in less money than you're used to.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Bryz4shiz

I imagine there will be NHLPA pressure for him, and other players like him, to not take hometown discounts

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Haute Couturier

I think the fact that Giroux fired his agent after his last deal shows that he was probably unhappy and is looking to maximizing his earnings on his next contract.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:58 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Believe it or not, money is not everything to everyone.

It's easy to look from the outside and see these guys getting paid and believing that all of them are greedy/want to get every dollar possible.

Honestly, if it came down to it, and someone was going to have to pay me over $5m...and they were going to bring in lawyers and make it a huge hassle for me and cause all kinds of problems over every little cent because that's what lawyers do...at some point I'd shake Paul's hand and say "I'm glad to be a part of this team. Let's make this deal reasonable so I can go home and go back to bed."

Some people, myself included, are just like that. If I'm making that much money, I wouldn't give a ****. Then again, I also wouldn't be retarded enough to spend it on mansions and cars and TVs.
Seriously? If your boss came to you and said they wanted to pay you less, you'd be okay with that? Especially knowing that the guy you work beside makes more? What if the guy who works across the street from you makes 20% or 30% more than you do? Are you still fine? How about if your boss came to you and said "I paid the guy beside you more than I maybe should have, so I can't pay you what you deserve". Are you still happy?

It makes no difference if you make $10 an hour or $5 million a year -- we're talking about your pay in comparison to others in your profession.

I can promise you that Roo's agent has Lavi's comments about Roo being the best player in the league in his back pocket. Not to mention the all-star appearance, wearing the C, and his stats to back him up.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:00 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He might not take less but that's a terrible analogy there, you're comparing a guy who makes millions playing a child's game to an average joe.
Income is income.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:02 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Seriously? If your boss came to you and said they wanted to pay you less, you'd be okay with that? Especially knowing that the guy you work beside makes more? What if the guy who works across the street from you makes 20% or 30% more than you do? Are you still fine?
No guy on this team will make more than Giroux. I guarantee that.

As far as across the street? If we're talking increments of millions of dollars, then I don't care.

If I'm making 100k a year and some dude is doing the same job across the street for 120k a year?

I'm okay with that. Maybe I'm weird, but as long as I can live my life happily, I don't need excessive funding or competition. If I'm happy where I am, I'll take the pay cut.

Quote:
It makes no difference if you make $10 an hour or $5 million a year -- we're talking about your pay in comparison to others in your profession.
Yes, it really does make a difference. A huge difference.

Quote:
I can promise you that Roo's agent has Lavi's comments about Roo being the best player in the league in his back pocket. Not to mention the all-star appearance, wearing the C, and his stats to back him up.
I guess we'll see. I'm not really worried either way.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:13 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Yes, it really does make a difference. A huge difference.
No, it really doesn't.

People who make 7 figures have expenses commensurate with a 7 figure income. People who make 5 figures have expenses commensurate with a 5 figure income.

Roo has two houses/apartments, cars, travel expenses for friends/family, cars, clothing, etc. that are likely much higher priced than the average worker. Could he cut back? Sure. But why would he? Why should he?

For most of us, being paid $5 million is a dream come true and we'd be happy forever. Let's not forget that there is a limited time players can earn a living, and every professional athlete on the planet has an ego.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:19 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
If I'm making 100k a year and some dude is doing the same job across the street for 120k a year?

I'm okay with that. Maybe I'm weird, but as long as I can live my life happily, I don't need excessive funding or competition. If I'm happy where I am, I'll take the pay cut.
Now pretend you'll only make your 'happy' income for 10 more years, but then you'll have to take a significant pay cut... yet your life expectancy suggests you'll live for another 40 years.

Wouldn't you try to maximize what you earn now, considering you'll be making relative peanuts by the time you're 40?

06-18-2013, 11:26 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Now pretend you'll only make your 'happy' income for 10 more years, but then you'll have to take a significant pay cut... yet your life expectancy suggests you'll live for another 40 years.

Wouldn't you try to maximize what you earn now, considering you'll be making relative peanuts by the time you're 40?
This is why hockey players get paid millions (well the better ones) and not hundreds of thousands.

I could live pretty comfortably on a million dollars for a long time.

If I'm making 2m/year for 10 years?

Divide 20m by 100k and that's how many years I'd be able to live far above the means I currently live at.

Yes, athletes have other expenses during their careers, but I'll cut out 5m over 10 years of a career to cover that.

That leaves 15m divided by 100k.

That leaves 150 years at 100k a year.

I think I'll be okay.

And that's at the low end of the NHL regular salary for a guy playing a decade.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:31 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
You think differently than most others in professional sports; most guys don't even like playing in Canada because it means they're taxed 10s of thousands more on every million they earn.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:40 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
You think differently than most others in professional sports; most guys don't even like playing in Canada because it means they're taxed 10s of thousands more on every million they earn.
Maybe I'm different. But I can't be the only one who wouldn't give a **** about $300,000 when I'm making $7,000,000.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Income is income up until a certain point. Every year guys in every sport go to places that were not offering them the most money. This is mainly true of the elite talent in a league. A guy like Talbot will likely go to whoever is paying the most because he wants to maximize his earning while he can. But a top athlete will choose a team based on other considerations besides money, even regular people like us don't always take the highest paying job we can.

Now these athletes are not going to those teams for peanuts, as they're still getting paid a ton, but that's the point. If you're making a ton of money regardless of where you go, you're going to go to the place you like most. Giroux obviously likes the Flyers most because it's all he knows, he may be willing to take $7.5 a year rather than $8.5 if he thinks it'll help the team. He shouldn't want $9+ million a year because he should know that it will handicap his team.

He's already made like $13 million, he'd be getting another $60 with $7.5 a year at 8 years, and then another couple million if he can hang around until is late 30's. You're talking about a career earnings of $85-90 million, rather than an earnings of $93-98 million. Yes it's more, but as Cliff Lee said, once the numbers get to like $100 million it all seems fake, and you just pick the place you want to be most.

If Giroux really thought that $1 mil could make a difference he'd sign for a million less. The thing is, does he actually feel that it could help? It's the GM's job to convince him it does without offending him.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:10 PM
skillhockey

Datsyuk his idol got 7.5, 7 should be fine now

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:25 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Income is income up until a certain point. Every year guys in every sport go to places that were not offering them the most money. This is mainly true of the elite talent in a league. A guy like Talbot will likely go to whoever is paying the most because he wants to maximize his earning while he can. But a top athlete will choose a team based on other considerations besides money, even regular people like us don't always take the highest paying job we can.

Now these athletes are not going to those teams for peanuts, as they're still getting paid a ton, but that's the point. If you're making a ton of money regardless of where you go, you're going to go to the place you like most. Giroux obviously likes the Flyers most because it's all he knows, he may be willing to take $7.5 a year rather than $8.5 if he thinks it'll help the team. He shouldn't want $9+ million a year because he should know that it will handicap his team.

He's already made like $13 million, he'd be getting another $60 with $7.5 a year at 8 years, and then another couple million if he can hang around until is late 30's. You're talking about a career earnings of $85-90 million, rather than an earnings of $93-98 million. Yes it's more, but as Cliff Lee said, once the numbers get to like $100 million it all seems fake, and you just pick the place you want to be most.

If Giroux really thought that $1 mil could make a difference he'd sign for a million less. The thing is, does he actually feel that it could help? It's the GM's job to convince him it does without offending him.
Well said. In the end, players can choose their contracts a couple of ways. They can try to maximize their earning potential and take the highest contract they can possibly receive, or they can take a fair contract that won't hamstring the team's ability to put pieces around them. They're entitled to do either, but let's not act like taking slightly less money means they're going to the poor house the moment their career is over, or at least they shouldn't be.

Last edited by flyershockey: 06-18-2013 at 12:34 PM.
flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:32 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
No, it really doesn't.

People who make 7 figures have expenses commensurate with a 7 figure income. People who make 5 figures have expenses commensurate with a 5 figure income.

Roo has two houses/apartments, cars, travel expenses for friends/family, cars, clothing, etc. that are likely much higher priced than the average worker. Could he cut back? Sure. But why would he? Why should he?

For most of us, being paid $5 million is a dream come true and we'd be happy forever. Let's not forget that there is a limited time players can earn a living, and every professional athlete on the planet has an ego.
It's not a simple as just saying expense percentages are in line with one another. I make around $50,000 in base salary. I also have monthly payments on my car that come out to about $4,800 a year. That's roughly ten percent of my salary. Do you really think a guy that's making $5,000,000 a year in the NHL is paying $480,000 for his cars per year? I mean he could be, but I highly doubt he would.

Professional athletes and other substantially wealthy people aren't in the same financial zip code as normal people. Trying to compare the two on their expense percentages is ridiculous.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:00 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
It's not a simple as just saying expense percentages are in line with one another. I make around $50,000 in base salary. I also have monthly payments on my car that come out to about $4,800 a year. That's roughly ten percent of my salary. Do you really think a guy that's making $5,000,000 a year in the NHL is paying $480,000 for his cars per year? I mean he could be, but I highly doubt he would.

Professional athletes and other substantially wealthy people aren't in the same financial zip code as normal people. Trying to compare the two on their expense percentages is ridiculous.
You're right - I simplified it (probably too much). Pro athletes won't be spending 10% of their income on a car. When you or I buy a house, it's not the equivalent of a year's pay (although I wish it were!). They have significantly different expenses than we do.

My point was that no matter what your normal pay is, that's how you live. I'm guessing that your standard of living is different now than it was when you made $18K a year. Your standard of living if you were making $200K would be different than it is now, and when you were making $18K a year, you probably thought $50K would give you everything you needed in life and you'd have tons of money in the bank. Do you? Personally speaking, I don't. I think I probably would at $200K a year but then again, I thought that about $50K or $60K.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:12 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Remember that these guys are not really keeping all they earn, too. An agent gets percentage of his salary typically.. Then there are taxes. And, in many of the cities that have a team, there is actually city income tax. These sports guys must hire expensive accountants at the end of the year to figure out how much they must pay for each of these cities they played a game in during the season.

Philly itself reportedly has one of these tax rates for the city. (NYC's is supposedly totally ridiculous)

So, after he pays probably 1/2 in taxes (or more - I don't know what a Canadian citizen pays) and his agent, he's likely bringing in 40% of his actual income, IF that much....

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

Claude is a very competitive person (like most professional athletes) and they would do anything to win the big one. Let's assume Giroux would get 8.5m/yr on the open market. If he was to take a 1.5m/yr hometown discount, that frees up money for the next 8 years to help the team sign other people to play with him; people who may help him win the Cup.

That's how I would look at the situation if I was in a similar position.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:22 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
You're right - I simplified it (probably too much). Pro athletes won't be spending 10% of their income on a car. When you or I buy a house, it's not the equivalent of a year's pay (although I wish it were!). They have significantly different expenses than we do.

My point was that no matter what your normal pay is, that's how you live. I'm guessing that your standard of living is different now than it was when you made $18K a year. Your standard of living if you were making $200K would be different than it is now, and when you were making $18K a year, you probably thought $50K would give you everything you needed in life and you'd have tons of money in the bank. Do you? Personally speaking, I don't. I think I probably would at $200K a year but then again, I thought that about $50K or $60K.
True enough, but then again, buying a house outright does eliminate a monthly mortgage payment. That would be nice for us commoners.

I've only been out of college for a couple of years, so I can't really say what's going to change about my standard of living as I make more money. Quite honestly, nothing much has really changed from when I first graduated and took an entry level position. Sure, my apartment is a little nicer than my first one was, and my new car is a little nicer than the car I drove in college and shortly there after, but not much else has really changed as far as my standard of living goes. And I certainly could still afford my living standard now if I was making say 90% of what I currently make.

I do drink better beer now though if that counts.

Back on topic though... I think G gets the full eight years at around 7.75-8.25 million per year. It could be less if he signs a shorter deal like five years, but then you run the risk of losing him at the age of 30 as a UFA.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
So if there's a new coach by the time the deal will be signed then Giroux will take a discount?

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:39 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Claude Giroux reportedly looking for an 8-year, $62 million deal from the Flyers.

https://twitter.com/ALLsportsINTEL

https://twitter.com/betr2maro

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:47 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

7.75 per.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:48 PM