HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2013, 12:30 PM
  #901
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Sounds like a done deal that he'll sign, too. Quote from Feaster:



I wonder if the Habs were one of those teams.
Doubt it...

gusfring is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 12:37 PM
  #902
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Sounds like a done deal that he'll sign, too. Quote from Feaster:



I wonder if the Habs were one of those teams.
If he had teams after him, maybe he was looking for some kind of guarantee that he'd play at least x amount of NHL games like college FA's. I doubt MB would play that game, Clargary is a huge mess so they are desperate for talent any way they can get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Not really, the replacement will only cost that much if he turns out really good. If they end up with a guy like Desharnais he'll neve cost 6m. Not too mention the cap will be quite higher in 3 years and Tampa is unlikely to want to spend up to it.
You think Desharnais fully replaces Lecavalier?

It has nothing to do with cap hit...TB's "cap" is their budget and how much Steve Y can spend on salaries. The cap can be 100 mil but if TB can only afford 80 mil in salaries it's meaningless.

The whole debate with Lecavalier's buyout for TB is about what the cost will be at status quo and how much the buyout + replacement player would cost plus the fact that his replacement will probably be inferior, at least the first few years.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 12:49 PM
  #903
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,485
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Doubt it...
It's undeniable they saw a lot of Knight from watching Kristo. If they didn't talk to the Flames, it's because they don't think he has an NHL future.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 01:04 PM
  #904
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You think Desharnais fully replaces Lecavalier?

It has nothing to do with cap hit...TB's "cap" is their budget and how much Steve Y can spend on salaries. The cap can be 100 mil but if TB can only afford 80 mil in salaries it's meaningless.

The whole debate with Lecavalier's buyout for TB is about what the cost will be at status quo and how much the buyout + replacement player would cost plus the fact that his replacement will probably be inferior, at least the first few years.
Well Desharnais has gotten more points then him over the past 2 years. But he was just an example of an average 2nd line center. They can't keep the status quo because they are up against the cap and have very little space. They need to shed salary so will be taking a step back on paper regardless. If they want to get out of the basement any time soon then buying out Vinny makes more sense then someone like Malone. And it makes even more sense to trade and retain salary because it's cheaper in actual dollars paid out and you get assets back. It only costs cap space which won't matter in a couple of years anyways.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 01:14 PM
  #905
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,814
vCash: 500
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 7m Flyers would move Matt Read in a deal for Bernier. But Kings would likely want Jakub Voracek as main piece - speed, scoring.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 01:18 PM
  #906
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Well Desharnais has gotten more points then him over the past 2 years. But he was just an example of an average 2nd line center. They can't keep the status quo because they are up against the cap and have very little space. They need to shed salary so will be taking a step back on paper regardless. If they want to get out of the basement any time soon then buying out Vinny makes more sense then someone like Malone. And it makes even more sense to trade and retain salary because it's cheaper in actual dollars paid out and you get assets back. It only costs cap space which won't matter in a couple of years anyways.
The only way to move VL and have it make sense for them is if somebody just took his contract. If they have to keep paying him 1/3 of his salary plus have to replace him, cash flow wise they are no further ahead.


The main reason they want to move him is to free up money for Hedman and whoever they take #3 overall, so they don't end up with 4-5 good players surrounded by 4th line calibre talent.

Moving Malone makes more sense, they can probably move him witout taking back salary, may even get a pick back, plus they can use Killorn as a decent replacement.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 01:43 PM
  #907
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,924
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 7m Flyers would move Matt Read in a deal for Bernier. But Kings would likely want Jakub Voracek as main piece - speed, scoring.
Kings are out to lunch. Voracek is the 2nd best player on the Flyers up front.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 01:45 PM
  #908
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,924
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
You know, I respect that Corban Knight informed Florida he would be using the loophole so that they could go about searching for SOME sort of compensation for him.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 01:58 PM
  #909
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,648
vCash: 500
Lol Couture @ 6 million per year.

Glad we got Maxpac at 4.5

Dagistitsyn is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:02 PM
  #910
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,215
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Kings are out to lunch. Voracek is the 2nd best player on the Flyers up front.
Agreed, that would be a terrible deal for the Flyers

At that point just play Mason

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:03 PM
  #911
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,215
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Lol Couture @ 6 million per year.

Glad we got Maxpac at 4.5
We definitely have a great deal in Patches. Was a solid signing last year by Bergevin

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:05 PM
  #912
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,485
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
We definitely have a great deal in Patches. Was a solid signing last year by Bergevin
Signed until 2019 too...starting to look like one of the best contracts in the league IMO.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:11 PM
  #913
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Lol Couture @ 6 million per year.

Glad we got Maxpac at 4.5
the lockout. So worth it.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:13 PM
  #914
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,215
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
the lockout. So worth it.
Tell Jacobs about it

That ****er always get's what he wants and now is even on the verge of winning another Cup

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:15 PM
  #915
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,465
vCash: 500
Anyone know when the 1st and 2nd team all-stars along with all-rookie team will be announced?

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:18 PM
  #916
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
The only way to move VL and have it make sense for them is if somebody just took his contract. If they have to keep paying him 1/3 of his salary plus have to replace him, cash flow wise they are no further ahead.


The main reason they want to move him is to free up money for Hedman and whoever they take #3 overall, so they don't end up with 4-5 good players surrounded by 4th line calibre talent.

Moving Malone makes more sense, they can probably move him witout taking back salary, may even get a pick back, plus they can use Killorn as a decent replacement.
Hedman has another 4 years on his current deal so I'm not sure he is a concern. VL hurts cash flow and performance on ice, unless they want to tank EDM style and completlly rebuild they have to get rid of him. Once the decision's been made to get rid of him it's better to pay him 1/3rd to play elsewhere then it is to pay 2/3rds to buyout.

EDIT: And from a purely cash flow perspective only in year 4 would they still be paying VL ~3m and give the guy they take 3rd overall a big raise, and even then they could structure the post ELC deal so that it's has a smaller salary in the first year. In the first 3 years they would save a ton of money, and in the last few are barely paying him anything anyways.


Last edited by Sorinth: 06-18-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Sorinth is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:24 PM
  #917
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Kings are out to lunch. Voracek is the 2nd best player on the Flyers up front.
I don't blame LA for asking a lot. Better to ask for more and have to come down later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Lol Couture @ 6 million per year.

Glad we got Maxpac at 4.5
Seems a bit steep but Pacioretty isn't a good comparable, he's about 1-1.5 mil under market value.

Couture has 84 goals in less than 3 full seasons(including 48 game lock out year).

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:28 PM
  #918
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
the lockout. So worth it.
It was, if nothing else than for the 50-50 split and putting a stop to the back diving 12 year contracts. Malkin's new contract having a higher cap hit than Crosby, plus Datsyuk at 7.5 mil as well as Giroux's extension show it. Last CBA Malkin would have gotten 4-5 years more and an 8 mil cap hit, Datsyuk would have gotten a low cap hit deal like Zetterberg and Giroux like Richards/Carter for 10-12 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Hedman has another 4 years on his current deal so I'm not sure he is a concern. VL hurts cash flow and performance on ice, unless they want to tank EDM style and completlly rebuild they have to get rid of him. Once the decision's been made to get rid of him it's better to pay him 1/3rd to play elsewhere then it is to pay 2/3rds to buyout.
Still don't see him going anywhere for 2 years, money makes more sense in a couple yaers.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:38 PM
  #919
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Mike "Doc" Emrick's Passing Synonyms: A Daft Punk Mashup

http://deadspin.com/mike-doc-emricks...ium=socialflow

this is amazing!

overlords is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
  #920
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
We definitely have a great deal in Patches. Was a solid signing last year by Bergevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Signed until 2019 too...starting to look like one of the best contracts in the league IMO.
He took a hometown discount for us. He's the first player with actual skill I remember doing that.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:56 PM
  #921
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He took a hometown discount for us. He's the first player with actual skill I remember doing that.
From all the interviews after the chara incident, he really seemed to appreciate the outcry and support from the fans. I remember noting to a friend after it happened that if he came back to form, he'd leave some money on the table to stay here longterm.

overlords is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:08 PM
  #922
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He took a hometown discount for us. He's the first player with actual skill I remember doing that.
I'd say that Andrei Markov took a hometown discount when he signed his previous deal, not the one he's currently on, but the original 5.75M deal

He would of gotten alot more had he hit the open market

417 is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:14 PM
  #923
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Take a number. I'm already over him...
over my naked, ready body

MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:17 PM
  #924
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,215
vCash: 256
Slava Voynov extended by the Kings. 6 years 25 million. 4.16 cap hit

Good deal for the Kings, I like Voynov a lot

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:24 PM
  #925
VanCity72
Registered User
 
VanCity72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
From all the interviews after the chara incident, he really seemed to appreciate the outcry and support from the fans. I remember noting to a friend after it happened that if he came back to form, he'd leave some money on the table to stay here longterm.
Well they did call for Chara's arrest and execution......

VanCity72 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.