HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
06-17-2013, 09:26 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
you can put a sr wooden extension to in. if it doesn't fit the first time, file down the edges of the tenon.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:13 PM
One Turris God
Gersei Chongar

Warrior Widow: 85 flex, Draper, matte blade finish

No complaints about this stick. True OPS makes for a wicked kick point and the corner only nipple-grip is sweet. I really love the pop in the blade as well, really really good feel for stickhandling, passing, and shooting.

Sherwood T90: 75 flex, grip, Stastny

Blade lost a little stiffness over a while and the shaft is a bit big for my liking but this stick is really great. The flex is too whippy for me (got whippier over time) but it's still serviceable and I have a wicked one-timer with it. Blade also chipped a bit near the heel but mostly cosmetic damage.

Reebok AI9: 85 flex, Hedman, grip

Eh... I thought I liked this stick but upon further review, the blade is way too thick for me and shooting provides little to no pop. Feels like a struggle to get a puck going the way you want it, and the flex is more like a 90. I'd probably pass on this stick.

Easton SE16: 85 flex, non-grip, Sakic

The best. Paint chips a little too easily (aka ridiculously easily) and the non-grip is a little annoying but I bought it anyways and just candy-caned it because that's how great this stick is.

Sherwood N12: 85 flex, Ryan, grip

Perfectly balanced stick, nice blade feel but the curve was not my preferred curve and the flex is a little stiff for an 85. I wish I could've traded it in for a Stastny but they didn't have any at the time and I had won a contest so I had no choice Would like to have a second chance with this because even with a stiff flex and wrong curve it's still a really nice stick to use.

CCM U+ CL: 100 flex (approximate), non-grip, pro-stock

Loved this stick, but unfortunately I sold it to a friend as it was too short and the blade was cracking. Even with a flex way higher than I normally use, it shot the puck off the blade like a rocket.

One Turris God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:44 AM
God
Free Citizen

Bought a Zack Kassian pro stock Nexus, 102 flex. I currently use a two piece stick, 95 flex Bandito with an S19 Hall blade, so hitting the gym a bit should be enough to get that 102 flex going.

What's funner is trying out this Drury curve on the stick. I've used P88 Kane and Hall mid patterns, but never a heel. Seems to be a pretty popular NHL curve so I'm sure I'll have a blast. Just gotta adjust my shooting mechanics.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:45 AM
wingfan

Anyone have experience with the Ai9? I'm thinking about picking up a pro stock from hockey monkey. I'm using the Nexus 1000 right now and love it but would like to grab a new stick, especially with the 20% off discount hockey monkey is running right now. I was thinking 90 flex and the curve closest to Duchene as that seems to be very similar to the 87 flex Stamkos I'm using now...

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:03 AM
AIREAYE

just because the paint says ai9, its likely that the stick is custom built. the codes on the stick can reveal more.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:12 PM
wingfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
just because the paint says ai9, its likely that the stick is custom built. the codes on the stick can reveal more.
This is part of the reason I've always been weary of pro stock sticks(and no warranty). How is the retail Ai9? I'm looking to pick up another stick. I've thought about that one, last year's Mako, or an RS. I've heard about the serious breakage issues with the RS though.

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

I've got two 'pro stock' Ai9s that are built like retail (judging from the codes). I like em, although I have virtually no experience with its competitor sticks (only used Easton ST and Ai9 in my life ).

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfan View Post
This is part of the reason I've always been weary of pro stock sticks(and no warranty). How is the retail Ai9? I'm looking to pick up another stick. I've thought about that one, last year's Mako, or an RS. I've heard about the serious breakage issues with the RS though.
Happens to be the exact reason I love pr stock sticks. You get to try way more top of the line options for much cheaper than a retail stick. and chances are, if you want retail stick specs and/or curves, those are easy enough to find.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd love pro stocks if I were 6" taller. But I have to use kid sticks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:39 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
ill use anything with a toe curve

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd love pro stocks if I were 6" taller. But I have to use kid sticks.
You mean you don't want to cut the stick and end up with 120+ flex?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:06 PM
AIREAYE

yeah, if you know what specs you enjoy, its part of the enjoyment in finding pro stock sticks. however, the vast majority of people don't have a clue. the retail AI9 was amazing for some and unremarkable for others. they should be found at a good price now and is still a decent option for a mid kick stick.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
You mean you don't want to cut the stick and end up with 120+ flex?
Pickup superstars would think I'm awesome though!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I had picked up a couple of Warrior Widows (100flex, Kovalchuk pattern) from Hockey Monkey on sale and.....they felt completely dead. I went back to the standard shaft/blade combo (I'm using the new Warrior Dynasty shaft w/p88 APX blade) and I'm much happier.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Bengerm77

Quote:
you can put a sr wooden extension to in. if it doesn't fit the first time, file down the edges of the tenon.
WOW! My new stick is rad. I should have switched to a intermediate 1 piece a long time ago. Now I know why you guys spend so much money on fancy sticks. I have a snap shot, who knew? Wristers actually went somewhere, and I could feel the puck give a nice solid smack in the shaft. I am still considering putting an end plug in it, but I don't want to ruin a good thing. I just feel like I need that extra inch.

Anybody thinking that's what she said?

Bengerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:52 PM
hockey17jp
Lets Go Jackets!

I got an APX last year and I have never looked back. Simply the best stick I have ever held in my hands.

My backup is a Vapor 6.0. It's pretty light but compared to the APX it's a street hockey stick.

hockey17jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 07:39 AM
AIREAYE

Got my RBZ Stage 2 in. Taped up and ready to go! Decided to try the intermediate 65 flex this time and the RNH curve, which is slightly deeper, slightly more open at the mid-toe and has a slightly higher lie than the P106 from Bauer.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:46 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Got my RBZ Stage 2 in. Taped up and ready to go! Decided to try the intermediate 65 flex this time and the RNH curve, which is slightly deeper, slightly more open at the mid-toe and has a slightly higher lie than the P106 from Bauer.
Let me know how it works!

I actually got an insane steal on a pro stock Easton RS II with a drury like curve, but I hate that thing with a passion. It has a totally different feel than my RS has had a year ago, and the curve - while pretty good for passing and backhand - just throws me off my game if it comes to shooting (I am a sakic/P92 guy). So I went back to my CCM CL which still works after 18 months of abuse, but the heel of the blade is chewn op so it will let go soon. I will look for a deal on a RBZ or RBZ Stage 2 if I am lucky enough...

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:23 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I've gone back and forth on these composite sticks. I've used Easton, Warrior, CCM, RBK and Gear.

What I've found out is the crappy heavies stick of all works best for me and it's a tank. I can't break it.

It always starts the season as my extra stick but I end up using it as a primary every time.

I like the feel of the heavier stick.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 06:01 PM
AIREAYE

Decided on a whim to grab 2 SE16 wood blades to slot into my Dolo shaft. Haven't used wood since my first year of hockey (used the One55 woodie, it was great) and the combo seems absurdly blade LIGHT. Can't wait to turn back time.

Old
09-04-2013, 07:13 PM
do0glas

just ordered a sherwood t90. first time i stepped outside of bauer was the easton 65s, which i wasnt a big fan of. so im hoping i can get away from bauer products in general because their are better deals out there.

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Pothier

I'm currently using a Total One NXG right now as my primary stick and I absolutely love it. P88 87 flex with a small extension (probably 85 flex now). I'd always been a Vapor guy before but decided to go with the Total One in the end, probably my favourite stick I've ever used. I have a pro-stock APX I got in the spring from the Sens (Mike Lundin curve, must have been only used once, it's in great shape). Maybe it's the curve which is a bit too much for me, but I really do prefer the NXG.

Anyways I was at the store on the weekend and gave the Ribcore a go. I was really suprised at how well I could get my shot off, the stick felt really good. I'd likely be looking at an 85 flex/Perron curve. Has anyone here used the Ribcore on ice for an extended period of time? I've never used a Reebok stick before and am just wondering about the durability more than anything.

Pothier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 08:48 PM
AIREAYE

It just came out, you'll have to wait for feedback to come through.

Old
09-04-2013, 08:54 PM
do0glas

If i am looking to take snap shots as opposed to wrist shots, would i want a lower kick point or a higher kick point?

will a mid kickpoint get the job done, or would something like the x60 be better?

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 09:23 PM
vapor11

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
If i am looking to take snap shots as opposed to wrist shots, would i want a lower kick point or a higher kick point?

will a mid kickpoint get the job done, or would something like the x60 be better?
mid kick would get the job done but a low kickpoint would be better as you would get the snap shot off quicker

Ive used x40's for the last year or so and my snapshot has never been better

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote