HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Two Final games on NBCSN - good move for NBC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2013, 12:41 PM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 56,803
vCash: 500
Two Final games on NBCSN - good move for NBC

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/6/18/44...-any-time-soon

Quote:
American viewers aren't happy, though, because the network is not available in as many homes and, therefor, the NHL and NBC should make every effort to end this tradition and put every game of the Stanley Cup Final on broadcast television.

That's not going to happen, for a lot of reasons. I know hockey fans in the United States aren't going to like hearing this, but NBC needs to grow NBCSN with exposures like the ones they got on Saturday night and Monday night. They've done everything they can, now, to ensure that all elimination games (Games 4-7) will air on broadcast television. After the debacle that was the Kings potentially clinching on cable in 2012, this appears to be the new format, at least for the foreseeable future.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:48 PM
  #2
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,121
vCash: 500
Same ol' story - cable companies forcing sports consumers to buy their premium channels.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:52 PM
  #3
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 19,436
vCash: 50
It's hardly a premium channel...it's in 80% of the homes that ESPN is.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:12 PM
  #4
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 55,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
It's hardly a premium channel...it's in 80% of the homes that ESPN is.
Easy to say when it's on your cable plan, harder to stomach when it's not on the one option you have.

When living at the mouth of a thing called Hellgate Canyon satellite isn't exactly an option and cable options aren't plentiful in Montana I went without the network for the extreme majority of my time there.


80% is a huge improvement over what it used to be, but it still needs to be higher.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:23 PM
  #5
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
It's hardly a premium channel...it's in 80% of the homes that ESPN is.
Even better - forcing themselves onto regular packages is the guaranteed money maker.

Gamecenter + Witopia for the win.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:51 PM
  #6
Teemu
Moderator
 
Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Palatine
Country: United States
Posts: 20,564
vCash: 500
It's great that the NHL is bringing in record numbers to NBCSN. But unless the network figures out something else to keep viewers there, it doesn't really matter.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:38 PM
  #7
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
It's great that the NHL is bringing in record numbers to NBCSN. But unless the network figures out something else to keep viewers there, it doesn't really matter.
I'm not a big soccer guy, but getting the Premier League seems like a pretty big addition, no?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:51 PM
  #8
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 11,132
vCash: 500
If NBC (still) had the rights to the NBA, would they put two NBAF games on their cable network?

Anyway, I don't think putting all games on NBC will happen until NBCSN gets the ESPN status (meaning you'll see it on TV even in cheap motels).

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:02 PM
  #9
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 19,436
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
If NBC (still) had the rights to the NBA, would they put two NBAF games on their cable network?
They never had cable rights, so it's a completely different animal.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:29 PM
  #10
castle
HFBoards Sponsor
 
castle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 841
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Same ol' story - cable companies forcing sports consumers to buy their premium channels.
seems like some confusion here. the cable companies aren't putting the game on a premium channel. NBC is doing that. And last time I checked nobody if forcing anybody to get cable... or a premium channel. there is the option of not watching the game. it wasn't that long ago that very few games were on tv at all. even in Canada.

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:10 PM
  #11
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,059
vCash: 50
except that Comcast = NBC, so in effect it's the Cable company(s) decision

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:37 PM
  #12
Reality Check
Registered User
 
Reality Check's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
It's great that the NHL is bringing in record numbers to NBCSN. But unless the network figures out something else to keep viewers there, it doesn't really matter.
You mean Michelle Beadle and Profootballtalk aren't moving the needle?

Unless hell freezes over with the NHL, NBCSN won't become relevant until they land either MLB, NBA or NFL. NBC has Sunday Night and a pair of Wild Card games but they would never in a million years put that on NBCSN.

Having CBC makes NBCSN pretty much useless for me. Especially seeing as it is a premium channel.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:43 PM
  #13
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 19,436
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
NBC has Sunday Night and a pair of Wild Card games but they would never in a million years put that on NBCSN.
Well, they don't have the right to, it's an over the air deal.

However, I'm sure they planned to bid on the half season package before the NFL decided to keep the games to themselves for NFL Network. Who I'll add are doing the same thing NBCSN is doing...keeping games on the channel to raise its profile and get it in more homes.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:50 PM
  #14
tsanuri
Registered User
 
tsanuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Grants Pass OR
Country: United States
Posts: 2,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
It's hardly a premium channel...it's in 80% of the homes that ESPN is.
But that is still approx 20M homes. 80% might sound good until you see the raw numbers.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:47 PM
  #15
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,672
vCash: 500
Not sure what the issue is here.

Part of the point of NBC having the NHL is to build the NBCSN channel.

Also, the risk of a game going to triple overtime is tougher to deal with on network TV where you have local affiliates complaining that the local news is delayed vs a dedicated sports channel where it doesnt matter.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:58 PM
  #16
CrazyMonkey1208
Registered User
 
CrazyMonkey1208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 242
vCash: 500
I miss when games were on regular old broadcast channels, like ABC and NBC.

Cable sucks, refuse to pay $800/year for the pleasure of watching advertisements 60% of the time.

CrazyMonkey1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:01 PM
  #17
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
But that is still approx 20M homes. 80% might sound good until you see the raw numbers.
It was in approximately 55M homes when the NHL started there, I believe.

Like it or not, two games on NBCSN helps grow the network, which is good all around.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:42 PM
  #18
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by castle View Post
seems like some confusion here. the cable companies aren't putting the game on a premium channel. NBC is doing that. And last time I checked nobody if forcing anybody to get cable... or a premium channel. there is the option of not watching the game. it wasn't that long ago that very few games were on tv at all. even in Canada.
NBC is owned by Comcast.. a cable company.

The ratings would suggest that it would be worthwhile for NBC to broadcast every game. But they don't. Why? Because they want people to pay for more expensive sports packages. Cable companies force people to pay for a large amount of content just so they can watch a small amount of content.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:46 PM
  #19
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey1208 View Post
I miss when games were on regular old broadcast channels, like ABC and NBC.

Cable sucks, refuse to pay $800/year for the pleasure of watching advertisements 60% of the time.
Well enjoy Dancing with the Stars then

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:49 PM
  #20
Pyro Kinesis
Cleveland for LIFE!
 
Pyro Kinesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Wish there was a cable package that just included the local channels and all sports channels. No other fluff.

Pyro Kinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:43 AM
  #21
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
It was in approximately 55M homes when the NHL started there, I believe.

Like it or not, two games on NBCSN helps grow the network, which is good all around.
What were the ratings from Game 1 in comparison to 2 and 3?

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:51 AM
  #22
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
NBC is owned by Comcast.. a cable company.

The ratings would suggest that it would be worthwhile for NBC to broadcast every game. But they don't. Why? Because they want people to pay for more expensive sports packages. Cable companies force people to pay for a large amount of content just so they can watch a small amount of content.
Comcast isn't trying to get people to buy sports packages. That doesn't even make sense considering the people that don't get NBCSN already have providers other than Comcast.

They're just trying to build NBCSN into a major sports cable network in competition with ESPN, Fox Sports 1, and CBS Sports.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:55 AM
  #23
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 19,436
vCash: 50
More on the subject from Ed Sherman:
http://www.shermanreport.com/is-nhl-...hy-it-is-done/

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:07 AM
  #24
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,773
vCash: 500
Just saw the thread in the Finals area...Game 3 was the most watched finals game ever. Wow.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:50 AM
  #25
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Easy to say when it's on your cable plan, harder to stomach when it's not on the one option you have.

When living at the mouth of a thing called Hellgate Canyon satellite isn't exactly an option and cable options aren't plentiful in Montana I went without the network for the extreme majority of my time there.


80% is a huge improvement over what it used to be, but it still needs to be higher.
Putting SCF games on NBCSN is a good way of getting from 80% to 100%, no?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.