HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban and that bridge contract..(what to expect with his next extension)

View Poll Results: Bridge contract
Bridge contract was a smart deal. It was a good move for both parties 107 54.04%
Should have signed him long term (likely cheaper) when we had the chance. Bit of a blunder by MB. 91 45.96%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2013, 07:20 AM
  #376
MonkeyBusiness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
I would be hoping that Florida felt the same way.......I like PK he's a very good PMD, skates well and has a good shot on the pp. I know its hard to accurately project the potential of prospects however when you look at a winning lineup Vs the Habs....down the middle we are small, soft & thin. IMHO we need to build on the AG pick from last year.
We don't need another center, we are set for the future with Eller and Galchenyuk. Do you know anything about Mackinnon? Trading P.k straight up for him would be a very very dumb thing to do.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:35 AM
  #377
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
I would be hoping that Florida felt the same way.......I like PK he's a very good PMD, skates well and has a good shot on the pp. I know its hard to accurately project the potential of prospects however when you look at a winning lineup Vs the Habs....down the middle we are small, soft & thin. IMHO we need to build on the AG pick from last year.
Funnily enough, if you look at both teams in the finals, their centers are Krejci, Bergeron, Toews, Bolland... No big centers.

And trading PK is just silly.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:54 AM
  #378
White Spy
Spy vs Blades
 
White Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Funnily enough, if you look at both teams in the finals, their centers are Krejci, Bergeron, Toews, Bolland... No big centers.

And trading PK is just silly.
Both Toews and Bergeron are 6'2

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:02 AM
  #379
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
BTW, I would trade PK for the Nathan MacKinnon pick straight up...we would get another stud C and avoid the whole messy contract issue if it was possible.
And leave us with a smoking crater of a hole in the defence corps. Brilliant. You're not Reggie Houle trolling us, are you?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have MacKinnon, but you don't trade Norris-trophy calibre defencemen. Ever.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:04 AM
  #380
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,337
vCash: 256
Extend now. Send a message in the room that PK is going to be a leader for this organization going forward

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:37 AM
  #381
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,956
vCash: 500
Trade Subban? Because he's going to get a significant raise in his next contract?

The 'salary cap soldiers' are alive and well I see lol

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:48 AM
  #382
Habster33
In Habs we trust!
 
Habster33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Here's my take on what Subban will be getting. I'm pretty sure it'll be close to Karlsson's. I like Subban and I'm he wants to stay in Montreal. I would think that this deal if fair to both parties. I'm guessing a contract something like this:

Year 1: 5.75M
Year 2: 6.5M
Year 3: 6.5M
Year 4: 6.75M
Year 5: 7M
Year 6: 7.25M
Year 7: 7.5M

47.25M for 7 years - 6.75M AAV

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:59 AM
  #383
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,306
vCash: 500
A big and honest at all those who would trade Subban for picks and prospects.

Remember the last time Habs traded a Norris caliber dman? Yes, that was a huge mistake. And Chelios was 28 at the time. Now we have a 24 yo. Norris caliber dman. You build around this, period.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:58 AM
  #384
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
A big and honest at all those who would trade Subban for picks and prospects.

Remember the last time Habs traded a Norris caliber dman? Yes, that was a huge mistake. And Chelios was 28 at the time. Now we have a 24 yo. Norris caliber dman. You build around this, period.
Chelios for D. Savard
McDonagh for S. Gomez

The problem isn't that we traded for picks or prospects, lol.

You know why we traded Chelios, but if the truth doesn't fit the narrative who cares?

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:18 AM
  #385
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
Here's my take on what Subban will be getting. I'm pretty sure it'll be close to Karlsson's. I like Subban and I'm he wants to stay in Montreal. I would think that this deal if fair to both parties. I'm guessing a contract something like this:

Year 1: 5.75M
Year 2: 6.5M
Year 3: 6.5M
Year 4: 6.75M
Year 5: 7M
Year 6: 7.25M
Year 7: 7.5M

47.25M for 7 years - 6.75M AAV
I was thinking almost exactly the same numbers. Good deal for both sides

__________________
Hey look, it's Duffman; the guy in a costume that creates awareness of Duff!
Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:25 AM
  #386
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Chelios for D. Savard
McDonagh for S. Gomez

The problem isn't that we traded for picks or prospects, lol.

You know why we traded Chelios, but if the truth doesn't fit the narrative who cares?
I know we didn't. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but my point is: when you have a young/prime Norris caliber dman, you don't trade him, period. Whatever the return is, it's unlikely to be worth it.

Look at the history a little bit:

Niedermayer: Norris in 2004 (Devils), he leaves to the Mighty Ducks. Who won a cup afterwards?

Pronger: Norris in 2000 (Blues), traded to Oilers, then to Mighty Ducks, then ends up with the Flyers. Who went into the finals and/or won the cup?

Rob Blake: Norris in 1998 (Kings), traded to Colorado, you know the rest...

Lidstrom: NOT traded () Multiple Norris in the 2000's, Wings were perennial contenders during that time.

As for the Chelios trade, there was more to these moves than purely hockey considerations, of course. But to me, it's clear that if you can hold on to your Norris caliber dman, you do! Especially when he's barely 24 years old.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:27 AM
  #387
True Tick and Tin
Registered User
 
True Tick and Tin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 1,800
vCash: 500
Within reason, give PK whatever amount he wants, and whatever term he wants... he IS the franchise now, more so than Carey or Chuckie or whoever.

True Tick and Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:19 PM
  #388
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,221
vCash: 500
What a novel idea. So...what happens when those pics outplay their ELC's? Do we play hardball again with them and then trade them away when we realize the bridge deal screwed us?

Some fans here really deserve the 20 years of poop we've endured.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:21 PM
  #389
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post

BTW, I would trade PK for the Nathan MacKinnon pick straight up...we would get another stud C and avoid the whole messy contract issue if it was possible.
So 4 years down the road you can trade McKinnon for the next top pick? You don't build a team this way. Sheesh.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:23 PM
  #390
Lebowski
In Price We Trust
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,913
vCash: 500
Hey guys, I just had a genius idea.

Imagine is Chuckie breaks out next season and gets like... 70 points.

We could then trade him for 1st round picks and avoid resigning him after his ELC ('cause you know, he'd have a huge contract raise).

We would then have lots of good prospects and loads of room on the salary cap!!!1!!

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:23 PM
  #391
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
What a novel idea. So...what happens when those pics outplay their ELC's? Do we play hardball again with them and then trade them away when we realize the bridge deal screwed us?

Some fans here really deserve the 20 years of poop we've endured.
and how about, it doesnt screw anyone, P.K. will get a better deal based on the season he had (assuming he keeps the pace) and Habs will be paying for a player they know for sure is worth his salary...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:29 PM
  #392
Lebowski
In Price We Trust
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
and how about, it doesnt screw anyone, P.K. will get a better deal based on the season he had (assuming he keeps the pace) and Habs will be paying for a player they know for sure is worth his salary...
That argument is so opportunistic. There was so MANY posters on here saying Subban had Norris potential and could blossom in the next few years, hence why we should have signed him long-term to a cheaper deal right away. There's always a risk involved in signing long-term a player out of his ELC, but doing so with Subban would have been a calculated risk that would have already started to pay off for us.

Let's not act like what happened this season totally came out of the blue and that Bergevin could not reasonably expect Subban had that kind of talent in him. We've been literally dozens to say it over the last... 3 years? It was bound to happen. Had Bergevin took the risk, we would be saving about 1,5 to 2M on the cap.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:44 PM
  #393
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
That argument is so opportunistic. There was so MANY posters on here saying Subban had Norris potential and could blossom in the next few years, hence why we should have signed him long-term to a cheaper deal right away. There's always a risk involved in signing long-term a player out of his ELC, but doing so with Subban would have been a calculated risk that would have already started to pay off for us.

Let's not act like what happened this season totally came out of the blue and that Bergevin could not reasonably expect Subban had that kind of talent in him. We've been literally dozens to say it over the last... 3 years? It was bound to happen. Had Bergevin took the risk, we would be saving about 1,5 to 2M on the cap.
expect him to be the best D in the entire league ? no GM/coach expect that from their 22/23 years old D...

the opportunistic part is mostly saying "haha! MB should have known", come on now...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:04 PM
  #394
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Well I guess I got my ass kicked with that idea......still love PK & we'll see how Nathan turns out.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:06 PM
  #395
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
That argument is so opportunistic. There was so MANY posters on here saying Subban had Norris potential and could blossom in the next few years, hence why we should have signed him long-term to a cheaper deal right away. There's always a risk involved in signing long-term a player out of his ELC, but doing so with Subban would have been a calculated risk that would have already started to pay off for us.

Let's not act like what happened this season totally came out of the blue and that Bergevin could not reasonably expect Subban had that kind of talent in him. We've been literally dozens to say it over the last... 3 years? It was bound to happen. Had Bergevin took the risk, we would be saving about 1,5 to 2M on the cap.
There will be ample opportunity to save that money on the cap over the next 2 years...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:07 PM
  #396
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,337
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
So 4 years down the road you can trade McKinnon for the next top pick? You don't build a team this way. Sheesh.
No but you can make a **** load of money selling jersey every 3-4 years

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:08 PM
  #397
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
expect him to be the best D in the entire league ? no GM/coach expect that from their 22/23 years old D...

the opportunistic part is mostly saying "haha! MB should have known", come on now...
Do you really think Letang, Subban and Suter are the 3 best defensemen in the league? I can live with top 10 in the league but the Norris is really just a what's trendy indicator.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:15 PM
  #398
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Do you really think Letang, Subban and Suter are the 3 best defensemen in the league? I can live with top 10 in the league but the Norris is really just a what's trendy indicator.
Shea Weber says hello to anyone asking about D in the NHL

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:25 PM
  #399
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
Shea Weber says hello to anyone asking about D in the NHL
I always found Shea Weber to be a bit overrated...that doesn't mean he's not an excellent player, don't get me wrong, I'd take him on the Habs anyday of the week, but I've never found him to be that great defensively, certainly not on the Chara level.

Being physical and laying big hits does not necessarily equate to being great defensively. I always thought Ryan Suter was a much more complete dman than Weber was when they played together in Nashville.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:37 PM
  #400
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I always found Shea Weber to be a bit overrated...that doesn't mean he's not an excellent player, don't get me wrong, I'd take him on the Habs anyday of the week, but I've never found him to be that great defensively, certainly not on the Chara level.

Being physical and laying big hits does not necessarily equate to being great defensively. I always thought Ryan Suter was a much more complete dman than Weber was when they played together in Nashville.
Yeah I've been Habs fan many years & long for the days of the big three when other teams were told "the crease is ours" & "trespasser's will be moved".

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.