HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Stanley Cup Final: (1) Chicago Blackhawks vs (4) Boston Bruins Part III

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 12:02 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Fun fact I just heard on ESPN: Last time the Hawks were shutout this post season, we won 5 in a row.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:03 PM
bosox1001

vCash: 500
Is Ben Smith? From what I can see, he didn't even play in the AHL this year. Just sat on Chicago's roster, played 1 game all year, and seemed like an afterthought. Maybe that's wrong, but I can't imagine Smith was their guy they wanted to step in if someone up top went down... he wasn't even practicing with the team in warm-ups, and, according to NHLN, was on his way HOME when he got the call. They could have called up Mayers and just put him on a lower line and bumped someone else up to the top line. Surely Chicago is deep enough for that, right? So it really sounds like Chicago had no plans to have Smith in these playoffs, and were equally unprepared for having Hossa go down. Yet they claim otherwise.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:05 PM
bosox1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Fun fact I just heard on ESPN: Last time the Hawks were shutout this post season, we won 5 in a row.

Fun fact: Last time before Game 1 that the Bruins lost in OT, they won 5 in a row and clinched two series'. They're on a 2 game streak right now....

Old
06-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosox1001 View Post
Is Ben Smith? From what I can see, he didn't even play in the AHL this year. Just sat on Chicago's roster, played 1 game all year, and seemed like an afterthought. Maybe that's wrong, but I can't imagine Smith was their guy they wanted to step in if someone up top went down... he wasn't even practicing with the team in warm-ups, and, according to NHLN, was on his way HOME when he got the call. They could have called up Mayers and just put him on a lower line and bumped someone else up to the top line. Surely Chicago is deep enough for that, right? So it really sounds like Chicago had no plans to have Smith in these playoffs, and were equally unprepared for having Hossa go down. Yet they claim otherwise.

Ben Smith played in AHL all year

Had 27 goals + 20 assists in 54 games

He drew in likely because of all our young guys he has the most playoff experience (7 games with 3 goals vs Nucks back in 2011). And when Stalberg was banished last time he took some practice with Hawks top 6 heading into Wings series

Q did screwup not telling kid or having him ready though

Old
06-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Here is your answer:

When I realized how tensed up I was with 8 seconds left and up 2 goals, I had to ask myself why. Because it's a Cup Finals game was my response to myself... but the game didn't quite feel like it with the way the Blackhawks did[n't] really show up. In hindsight there should have been less stress, more enjoyment for me.
Thanks for the graphic!

Old
06-18-2013, 12:14 PM
bosox1001

That's odd then, I can't find any AHL stats for him on hockey-reference.com for 2012/13. It lists his college and AHL stats from 2006 through the 2011/12 season and then stops. Odd. So I guess if what you say is true, it gives their decision a little more credit... but still. Not sure if he was the guy to bring in, and maybe it would be best going with a vet with experience and just dropping him on a lower line.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Arktos

vCash: 50
Fun fact: Boston hasn't allowed a goal in their home building for 186 minutes and 28 seconds

Old
06-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
That's odd then, I can't find any AHL stats for him on hockey-reference.com for 2012/13. It lists his college and AHL stats from 2006 through 2012 and then stops. Odd. So I guess if what you say is true, it gives their decision a little more credit... but still. Not sure if he was the guy to bring in, and maybe it would be best going with a vet with experience and just dropping him on a lower line.
Problem with that is

Mayers is done , Carcillo is horrid this year (Looks like he lost step from injury)

So there is no vet to draw in

We have those 2 and the black aces + Bollig

Old
06-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Eennad142

Boston limits open ice at home rink, negating Chicago speed factor. Subtract key player, Hossa, and Chicago missing one big advantage. Series took a turn when Julien brought Seguin-Kelly-Paille together, which gave Boston three strong lines. Chicago roster, built around speed, seems unable to defend well against that speed line.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Serpico4ever

I love watching the CBC guys have to eat their words. Its one of the simple joys in life. On replay, it looks like Shaw was throwing ye ole chicken wing out, and in five minutes threw two elbows on the CBC feed, which might explain the Dog elbow, which was stupid no matter how Shaw moved. That and Stalberg should have been playing all along, and Chicago would be better off just trying to play their own game. The B's got a knack for making the other team play their game.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:25 PM
TCL40

Quote:
There was some NHL Network post-game reporting on that issue last night, and I thought it was pretty interesting. CHI is insisting this was something they possibly saw coming, and made it clear (in their word) that it didn't happen in warm-ups as reported. But that answer makes NO sense because video from the warm-up shows Hossa taking himself off the ice immediately after a shot, and the guy they replaced him with was Ben Smith, without letting him warm-up and him being completely not prepared to play. It was his first playoff game this year, and only his 28th career game played, regular and playoffs combined. Yet, they have Jamal Mayers on their roster who has over 900 NHL games, playoff experience, and has even suited up for 3 playoff games this year for Chicago. So it seems like he was the guy before to step in for an injury, but for whatever reason they went with a very unproven young player in this case with no practice....

So it seems like something they were absolutely not prepared for, yet their coach insists it was not an injury in warm ups. So if they knew this guy was possibly injured PRIOR to game 3, why would they be caught with their pants down and no replacement when he was unable play? And for a guy to not play in the SCF, it is a serious injury. So I'm not buying their story. I think Hossa is hurt more than they let on, and maybe he tweaked/pulled a muscle on the shot and will either be very ineffective here on out or will miss more games.
Teams like to keep details of injuries close to their chests during the playoffs.

My theory is that he was already injured but powering through it and tweaked the injury before the game.

I think of the three games-game 3 was the worst for the Hawks. Not sure the Bruins had their best offensive game but I think their defense looked very good.

Crawford IMO was challenged more and in spite of the loss played well. There wasn't any goal support from the Hawks.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:31 PM
bosox1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
Boston limits open ice at home rink, negating Chicago speed factor. Subtract key player, Hossa, and Chicago missing one big advantage. Series took a turn when Julien brought Seguin-Kelly-Paille together, which gave Boston three strong lines. Chicago roster, built around speed, seems unable to defend well against that speed line.
That 3rd line is really an interesting one. At first glance it's easy to brush off, but their stats this year are just the tip of the iceberg with those guys. Seguin, I think, most people know his story and the potential he has. Kelly has played pretty sound hockey since coming to Boston and even was a 20 goal scorer just last year with a crazy +33. Kelly gets a lot of PK minutes, so that skews his +/- a little as well, but this year he played pretty bad. But he had some big goals in the 2011 Cup run, and is fast. Likewise, Paille is very fast and is a threat to score shorthanded, and for all the crap those bottom lines were getting he had an alright 2 G 3 A prior to breaking out.

So while it is kind of funny a speed line is giving Chicago so much trouble defending, those aren't necessarily your average 3rd and 4th line guys, with the exception of Paille.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:34 PM
bosox1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
Teams like to keep details of injuries close to their chests during the playoffs.

My theory is that he was already injured but powering through it and tweaked the injury before the game.

I think of the three games-game 3 was the worst for the Hawks. Not sure the Bruins had their best offensive game but I think their defense looked very good.

Crawford IMO was challenged more and in spite of the loss played well. There wasn't any goal support from the Hawks.
I'm sure he may have already been injured because at this point who isn't playing through SOMETHING? But the coaches should have at least had a player ready to go, as opposed to their last second call up. What probably happened was Hossa had something bothering him but no one thought it was going to be an issue, and it suddenly became one in warmups, and they had to scramble. To say this was an injury they were possibly planning for seems impossible, but it's fair to say Hossa was probably nursing some minor ailment. Teams can keep injury details close, and the Bruins did just that all playoffs with Horton and his shoulder before that came out, but they had a plan, and Horton ended up not missing Game 2. So for Hossa to entirely miss a game, that means one of two things: He had a pre-existing serious injury and the team totally dropped the ball on preparing for it, or he had a minor irritation that become a full-blown injury in warmups and they didn't/don't really have a plan to replace him.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:53 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
The plan all along was for Smith to come in if there was an injury. He's been groomed for it for about 2 months now. I don't know why people are even talking about it.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:59 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Wouldn't be surprised to see the Bruins win out in five, the Hawks to bounce back and win three straight to take it in six, or either to win in seven. It's just that kind of series and both teams are more than good enough to get hot and respond to adversity.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:59 PM
bosox1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
The plan all along was for Smith to come in if there was an injury. He's been groomed for it for about 2 months now. I don't know why people are even talking about it.
Then I guess the coaching staff just handled it poorly by having the planned replacement for a very critical guy with a pre-existing injury not be prepared to step in. It will really become a story if Hossa is still out for Game 4 though.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:03 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Then I guess the coaching staff just handled it poorly by having the planned replacement for a very critical guy with a pre-existing injury not be prepared to step in. It will really become a story if Hossa is still out for Game 4 though.
Prepared? A short free skate around half the ice and shots to warm up the goaltender? Not needed. He can stretch and be ready to go, which he was. If anything, it was a decoy type thing or Smith had to ****.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:18 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
Yeah there is no way Chicago could ever come back from down 3-1 to an original six team, with home-ice advantage, in these playoffs. Never I tell you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by compan View Post
what does original 6 have anything to do with it

You really don't see it?

Think about it a little more...

Old
06-18-2013, 01:31 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Is Ben Smith? From what I can see, he didn't even play in the AHL this year. Just sat on Chicago's roster, played 1 game all year, and seemed like an afterthought. (...)
He played 54 games in the AHL this year, 27 goals and 20 passes.

You might want to diversify your sources.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:38 PM
nitric
German Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

You really don't see it?

Think about it a little more...
Instead of rolling your eyes at him you could just tell him that the poster is referencing Chicago's comeback from 3-1 down to Detroit this year

Old
06-18-2013, 01:47 PM
SensFactor

Boston is a powerful team. They are like the Borg, they adapt to your style and make you comply!...very frustrating team to play against. I've seen them do what they do in the Northeast Division for years. They have become increasingly good at it.

Against Vancouver, in 2011, every single commentator and hockey expert had the Canucks winning at home in game 7. Bruins went against the grain and crushed the Canucks in their own barn. This year I don't think will be any different. Chicago is a better more resilient team than Pittsburgh, but they still can't outwill the Bruins.

This series will end in 6 with the Bears raising the cup.

Old
danpantz

Fwiw, tony amonte apparently still has sources in chicago who told him it was a groin for hossa.

Old
SpokedLightning
3rd Line Grinder

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Wouldn't be surprised to see the Bruins win out in five, the Hawks to bounce back and win three straight to take it in six, or either to win in seven. It's just that kind of series and both teams are more than good enough to get hot and respond to adversity.
Pretty much how I feel about it. It's great my team is up 2-1 but I ain't counting these guys until 4 of them are hatched.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:55 PM
bosox1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Prepared? A short free skate around half the ice and shots to warm up the goaltender? Not needed. He can stretch and be ready to go, which he was. If anything, it was a decoy type thing or Smith had to ****.
Nope. I am not buying it, and Chicago fans/media are totally giving the team a pass on this one. Hossa is a critical part of the team. he played the full Game 2 and showed no signs of ailment. He was out there in warm-ups and then takes himself off the ice and is scratched last minute, while Chicago has to call up the "planned" replacement back from his way home to tell him "by the way, you're playing in an hour." It seems like Hossa took himself out of the lineup over something minor. Because this isn't the MLB, it's the SCF. Guys play hurt. Horton disclocated his shoulder in OT of Game 1 and has not missed a beat for Games 2 and 3. Guys routinely play hurt in the NHL.

So what I think happened is Hossa may have had something bothering him but not enough to warrant missing time. Then HE told the coaches HE wasn't playing, took himself out of the lineup and left Chicago scrambling. You can have guys skate in warm ups that aren't dressing for the game, you know. That's not against the rules. So if Smith was being "groomed for 2 months," as another poster said, how is it that he's not even with the team right before a game starts if one of their star players has an injury the coach is aware about that could possibly (and eventually did) cause him to miss an entire game?

I'm calling ******** on this story. Something is up. Either Chicago was clueless about how to handle it, or Hossa is soft and screwed his team over at the last minute.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:05 PM
coldsteelonice84

Hossa doesn't like to play hurt, never has.

Closed Thread