HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Fozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I agree with Marc as well and said it a few weeks ago, I think Erne is the player that will drop the most
I don't see it. I still think Erne goes top 20. I believe Mantha falls and will still be available at 34.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:35 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
This draft is going to be ridiculous. Derrick Pouliot-like reaches are going to happen, and they won't even look bad in the grand scheme.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:39 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I don't see it. I still think Erne goes top 20. I believe Mantha falls and will still be available at 34.
Putting all his warts and work ethic issues and grit aside, I just don't see 30 teams and their GMs passing on a guy his size who scored as many goals as he did. All it takes is one GM to fall in love with him and I'm sure it's going to happen, likely before he even gets to our pick.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Habsfan18

Maybe it was wishful thinking on my part to put Zykov in the 34th/36th category, but there are always going to be players who slip, and my "bold" prediction this year is it could be Zykov. McKeen's has him as an early 2nd rounder, and they are well informed with contacts throughout the league, so I'm thinking they may know something. Of course, all it takes is for a team to absolutely love him and he could even be a surprise top 10 pick.

I've seen his rankings all over the map. Anywhere from like 12th to 35th.

Either way we look at it, he would likely be the early "steal" of the draft if he was available with our 34th pick.

06-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Mantha will be a first rounder, at least I think he will be. I just hope the Habs won't be "that" team to take him.

Funny, am I the only one that has Compher on his/her wishlist?

Old
06-18-2013, 02:55 PM
S Bah

The more Mock drafts I see, it won't surprise this poster that the QMJHL players that get chosen in the 1st round are;

1) J. Drouin
2) S.Morin
3) A. Erne
4) V.Zykov

Far from the original eight projected early this year, Fucale might go to Calgary to make it five.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:58 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Encounter View Post
Mantha will be a first rounder, at least I think he will be. I just hope the Habs won't be "that" team to take him.

Compher's fine, he's just not a terribly sexy first rounder.

This may be because they share the same initials but he reminds me of J.T. Miller in his draft year (a player I was certain the Habs were going to take). Smart, and the kind of guy you're happy to have on your team, but nothing that screams 'home run' about him.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
This draft is going to be ridiculous. Derrick Pouliot-like reaches are going to happen, and they won't even look bad in the grand scheme.
He turned out a prettt solid pick by the Penguins. I'm really high on Pouliot. Maybe this year Ristolainen can be the Hampus Lindholm of the draft. I believe he's already better than Nurse and Zadorov and is very underrated.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Encounter View Post

I'd like Compher and Hartman...I know they don't have the biggest upside and they are not big players, but man would they help the motor of the team.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Compher's fine, he's just not a terribly sexy first rounder.

This may be because they share the same initials but he reminds me of J.T. Miller in his draft year (a player I was certain the Habs were going to take). Smart, and the kind of guy you're happy to have on your team, but nothing that screams 'home run' about him.
He's been ridiculously clutch and has a strong all around game. Faster Mike Richards? Red Line has him at #20 and compares him to Derek Stepan.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Putting all his warts and work ethic issues and grit aside, I just don't see 30 teams and their GMs passing on a guy his size who scored as many goals as he did. All it takes is one GM to fall in love with him and I'm sure it's going to happen, likely before he even gets to our pick.
Agreed. I ain't no fan of Mantha but if he's there at 34 you got to take him

Old
06-18-2013, 03:12 PM
odishabs

- Gauthier/Lazar/Rychel
- Santini/McCoshen/Mueller (whichever slips)

Old
06-18-2013, 03:14 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Maybe it was wishful thinking on my part to put Zykov in the 34th/36th category, but there are always going to be players who slip, and my "bold" prediction this year is it could be Zykov. McKeen's has him as an early 2nd rounder, and they are well informed with contacts throughout the league, so I'm thinking they may know something. Of course, all it takes is for a team to absolutely love him and he could even be a surprise top 10 pick.

I've seen his rankings all over the map. Anywhere from like 12th to 35th.

Either way we look at it, he would likely be the early "steal" of the draft if he was available with our 34th pick.
If Zykov has skating that is good enough, then he is a legitimate power forward potential guy. The picture Im getting of this guy is a better skilled Rene Bourque playing a consistent, hard working and physical game. Zykov is really growing on me as the forward to take at 25. Not there yet, but really liking him.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Gaston Gingras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He's been ridiculously clutch and has a strong all around game. Faster Mike Richards? Red Line has him at #20 and compares him to Derek Stepan.
Compher had 2 concussions this past year... so it's something to consider

Old
06-18-2013, 03:18 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I'd like Compher and Hartman...I know they don't have the biggest upside and they are not big players, but man would they help the motor of the team.
The Habs have quite a few of those type of players and more in the system to come. With Bournival, Kristo and Leblanc when he's healthy.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Draft

Maybe this is a little presumptuous but.... if I see one more poster pushing to choose a "need" instead of BPA, I'm probably going to finish off this can of Pringles.

"We really needed a guy like Bryan Bickell so we passed up on Patrice Bergeron because we already have Tomas Plekanec." Ridiculous.

The parity in the picks from 20-50 isn't as crazy as a lot of people are making it out to be. We should definitely not be picking Compher when a guy like Mantha is on the board. They have roughly the same likelihood of reaching the NHL, IMO, but one has WAY higher upside than the other. We're looking for potential players in any capacity, not players to fill holes in our current roster or prospect pool. Compher, Hartman, Mccoshen etc. do not have a higher chance at becoming NHL players because they play a 3rd liners/Defensive defenceman style now in their careers. Lower topside-potential does not mean closer to the NHL.

Maybe my idea of BPA is just different from everyone else's and I value different qualities more..... Still seems nuts to me.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:34 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Maybe this is a little presumptuous but.... if I see one more poster pushing to choose a "need" instead of BPA, I'm probably going to finish off this can of Pringles.

"We really needed a guy like Bryan Bickell so we passed up on Patrice Bergeron because we already have Tomas Plekanec." Ridiculous.

The parity in the picks from 20-50 isn't as crazy as a lot of people are making it out to be. We should definitely not be picking Compher when a guy like Mantha is on the board. They have roughly the same likelihood of reaching the NHL, IMO, but one has WAY higher upside than the other. We're looking for potential players in any capacity, not players to fill holes in our current roster or prospect pool. Compher, Hartman, Mccoshen etc. do not have a higher chance at becoming NHL players because they play a 3rd liners/Defensive defenceman style now in their careers. Lower topside-potential does not mean closer to the NHL.

Maybe my idea of BPA is just different from everyone else's and I value different qualities more..... Still seems nuts to me.
Fair point, but I don't think people are looking for Bickell, more like big , tough, physical skill players that can pot 25-30 goals. You know I think Gretzky was the best ever, and Paul Coffey was amazing, but if I could clone a team Id pick 12 lesser skilled in comparison Messiers and 6 Scott Stevens over a team of 12 Gretzkys and 6 Coffeys. I don't know if this really makes a point but it came to mind.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The more Mock drafts I see, it won't surprise this poster that the QMJHL players that get chosen in the 1st round are;

1) J. Drouin
2) S.Morin
3) A. Erne
4) V.Zykov

Far from the original eight projected early this year, Fucale might go to Calgary to make it five.
MacKinnon goes in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Old
06-18-2013, 03:38 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
MacKinnon goes in the 2nd or 3rd round?
Yeah that would be nice even 25th - I forgot Mack - I know there is no way we get him though.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post

I disagree that Compher has lower upside. Most fans don't value a skill player who can also be a top defensive player, being a center also adds value as a top center will always be more valuable than a top winger. Compher is smaller than Mantha but plays bigger, plus he is almost a full year younger age wise(April 95 vs Sept 94).

Old
06-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
I disagree that Compher has lower upside. Most fans don't value a skill player who can also be a top defensive player, being a center also adds value as a top center will always be more valuable than a top winger. Compher is smaller than Mantha but plays bigger, plus he is almost a full year younger age wise(April 95 vs Sept 94).
7 months is not anywhere near a full year. It's actually closer to half a year if my math is correct. But i'd have to double check the calculations.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
7 months is not anywhere near a full year. It's actually closer to half a year if my math is correct. But i'd have to double check the calculations.
In hockey terms, Mantha has played with an older age group the last 10-12 years than the 1995's in the draft, gives him an edge in terms of where he is now, in 4-5 years the gap gets closed. That's a consideration for scouts.

Old
06-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Bob b smith

Quote:
In hockey terms, Mantha has played with an older age group the last 10-12 years than the 1995's in the draft, gives him an edge in terms of where he is now, in 4-5 years the gap gets closed. That's a consideration for scouts.
There's a bunch of players in that situation... Wennberg and Lindholm come to mind... Filip Forsberg had similar numbers as Lindholm his last 3 seasons before the draft. Except they were born just a few days apart, so Forsberg amassed the same numbers when he was 15, 16, 17 as Lindholm did when he was 16, 17, 18... Yet, Forsberg was drafted 11th and Lindholm could be going Top-5 in a much deeper draft...

Last edited by Bob b smith: 06-18-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old
06-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Disappearing Semin

I'd like MTL to pick 3F or 2F-1D. Dauphin and Zykov tied for Q top GWG scorers, add Poirier to this as our first three picks and we get important goal scorers

Old
06-18-2013, 05:04 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
He turned out a prettt solid pick by the Penguins. I'm really high on Pouliot. Maybe this year Ristolainen can be the Hampus Lindholm of the draft. I believe he's already better than Nurse and Zadorov and is very underrated.
Agreed. Pouliot showed his great potential during the Memorial Cup. I would readily trade our 25 for him even up. His playing style strongly reminds me of a young Duncan Keith. Even with all the hype surrounding this draft, I don't think Pittsburgh would do that deal.

Closed Thread