HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: DousedInOil's Annual Rankings Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post
Zadorov's agent told Russian press that Craig MacTavish was particularly interested in having additional interview with Zadorov.
All that tells us is he's on the list. If he trades down, that would for sure be a guy he's looking at.

I should hope MacT is doing his due diligence on all potential targets.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:31 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
No they messed up by not taking Parise who fell square into their lap. The fact that the other two players exceeded expectations doesn't make what the oilers did right. Luckily for the Oilers the need for a centre may meet the players that are there for them.

In the long run drafting for need is a poor strat, especially in hockey with the ages of the kids drafted. 5 or 6 years later when the winger you passed on is a star and the guy you drafted positionally is a 2nd liner it never looks good.

Now it can always work out just fine but it's a mistake for teams to narrow a gap between potential prospects due to need.
I guess we will agree to disagree. I don't see the NHL draft having a Nash equilibrium where their is one set strategy. I don't think their is ever one best player. Rather, I would have groups of players and take the player in that group that you think best fits your teams need.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post
Zadorov's agent told Russian press that Craig MacTavish was particularly interested in having additional interview with Zadorov.
I wouldnt count Zadorov off as our 7th overall selection. The kid has been climbing up the standings .. Is huge in size, can skate like the wind and move the puck.
If Monahan and Lindholm are both gone, I can see EDM select Zadorov over Nichushkin and Nurse.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Paralyzer008

I don't want Zadorov, I think he's going to be a solid defensive d-man and he's got size, but I think he's definitely down there in terms of talent, like more of a mid pick

Old
06-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Musashi

Yes it has some merit but enough with the bpa crap. Every team is for the most part taking the best player they think is available. It is a subjective subject. That is what happens when teams try and predict how 17 and 18 year olds nhl careers will go while playing in different leagues and as kids in different stages of development. It is also why teams pay for their own scouts. Maybe it's in more of a position they prefer but why do we act like every draft goes by what the "public" views as the best player available. Drafts NEVER play out that way so why do we act like it's such a cardinal sin going against it.

Also pointing out how big of a mistake trading down because we passed over parise is ridiculous. Did they make a huge mistake, of course but saying all trade downs won't work because of 1 example that happened 10 years ago is pretty insignificant. Lots of teams made a mistake passing over Parise. He should of been a top 10 pick but would any of you be ripping if a team took him in the top 5 because there were "better players available"? A lot of teams made a big mistake not taking him but some didnt. LA and CHI went with different options and selected players who directly contributed to them winning the cup. What mistake did they make?

Revisionist history when looking at the 2003 draft is pointless unless you are redrafting all of the players in that draft class

Old
06-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I don't want Zadorov, I think he's going to be a solid defensive d-man and he's got size, but I think he's definitely down there in terms of talent, like more of a mid pick
He can also skate and isnt afraid to hit. I dont want him at #7 either but the Oilers\Scouts might be sold on him.
We prefer a more dynamic player with 7th overall.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:10 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
This is why you dont believe everything you read folks.

ISS Top ten rankings for 2008 draft (May)....

1. Steven Stamkos
2. Nikita Filatov
3. Zach Bogosian
4. Drew Doughty
5. Alex Pietrangelo
6. Luke Schenn
7. Mikkel Boedker
8. Colin Wilson
9. Cody Hodgson
10. Luca Sbisa

How many would be screaming BPA if someone suggested taking Eberle or Karlsson ahead of Filatov or Colin Wilson?

Old
06-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Paralyzer008

MacT definitely loves Darnell Nurse

and to the above point, ISS isn't the most reliable of sources ever (highlighted, in my opinion, by how low Monahan is)

Old
06-18-2013, 03:12 PM
doubledown99

Wow MacT really talking up Nurse at the seat holders meeting. Hmmm wonder if Nurse is the guy after Barkov and Monahan

Old
06-18-2013, 03:13 PM
DousedInOil

Sounds like MacT really likes Darnell Nurse. Stauffer said the audio will be posted on the oilers website sometime today.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

^^ Yes. Everyone's talking about how they'll **** a brick if the Oilers pick this player or that player, but no one knows how these guys are going to turn out. If the Oilers reach and grab someone who isn't a consensus pick at 7 and turns out be garbage 5 years down the road, then sure be mad. But for right now, nobody knows.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:15 PM
BackhandToeyJoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
This is why you dont believe everything you read folks.

ISS Top ten rankings for 2008 draft (May)....

1. Steven Stamkos
2. Nikita Filatov
3. Zach Bogosian
4. Drew Doughty
5. Alex Pietrangelo
6. Luke Schenn
7. Mikkel Boedker
8. Colin Wilson
9. Cody Hodgson
10. Luca Sbisa

How many would be screaming BPA if someone suggested taking Eberle or Karlsson ahead of Filatov or Colin Wilson?
I always wondered why Petro was slated to go 5th? Guy's a perennial Norris candidate, and yes I'm sure they didn't realize that but goodness, he was amazing at the WJC and WHC.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:17 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
I definitely wouldn't complain if we drafted Nurse
Athletic genes, big frame to put on some muscle, mean player...
He is supposed to go between 5-9

Old
06-18-2013, 03:26 PM
I am the Liquor

I like Nurse too. He is a beast of a man child. We need that so bad back there. We still need to address the Snowpants file though.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:27 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
^^ Yes. Everyone's talking about how they'll **** a brick if the Oilers pick this player or that player, but no one knows how these guys are going to turn out. If the Oilers reach and grab someone who isn't a consensus pick at 7 and turns out be garbage 5 years down the road, then sure be mad. But for right now, nobody knows.
you mean like steve kelly, jesse ninnmaki, alex mikhinov, etc etc etc. the oilers havent screwed up bpa in the last few drafts so i have high hope they wont screw it up again.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:28 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
you mean like steve kelly, jesse ninnmaki, alex mikhinov, etc etc etc. the oilers havent screwed up bpa in the last few drafts so i have high hope they wont screw it up again.
You have no idea how the last few drafts are going to turn out. <mod edit>

Last edited by s7ark: 06-18-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: removed off topic stuff
Old
06-18-2013, 03:29 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I definitely wouldn't complain if we drafted Nurse
Athletic genes, big frame to put on some muscle, mean player...
He is supposed to go between 5-9
Quote:
I like Nurse too. He is a beast of a man child. We need that so bad back there. We still need to address the Snowpants file though.
just listening to him talk last night inbetween periods he seemed way more intellectual than jones. he may not be the better athlete but he came accross as someone who knows their roll and is willing to fill it. very well spoken as well.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:30 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
You have no idea how the last few drafts are going to turn out. .
i did mean they havent screwed up the first round yet. the other rounds are already debatable "moroz"

Last edited by s7ark: 06-18-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old
06-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Who cares about busts that were drafted 10 years ago? I don't see how that applies to the Oilers of today and their current front office and scouting department.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:32 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
MacT definitely loves Darnell Nurse

and to the above point, ISS isn't the most reliable of sources ever (highlighted, in my opinion, by how low Monahan is)
Would you prefer css? Here are their final rankings for 2006.

http://cdn.nhl.com/futures/cssrankin.../naskaters.pdf

Old
06-18-2013, 03:33 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
i did mean they havent screwed up the first round yet. the other rounds are already debatable "moroz"
Too soon to tell.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:39 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
You realize that Getzlaf and Kesler were both taken right after Pouliot right? The Oilers didn't mess up by taking a center they messed up by taking the wrong center.
Getzlaf went before MAP. Kesler was an overager IIRC. Mike Richards was on the board tho. As was Patrice Bergeron

Old
06-18-2013, 03:48 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Too soon to tell.
Of course it is. Moroz is an Oil King.

I also don't see any issue with that CSS North American issue from 2006.

Erik Johnson was a great talent till that golf cart accident set him back in seemingly every aspect. Staal>Toews was obviously a mistake but Toews has been spoon-fed elite wingers in a #1C role his whole career and just recently put up point/game numbers for the first time. Both have been Selke nominees in past years (Toews just won). Brassard is starting to show that potential he carried. Obviously Kessel is the better player but he's definitely better than almost every name below Kessel's.

If anything it's a fairly accurate representation.

Where does CSS have Lazar?

Old
06-18-2013, 03:48 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

if the oilers reach and take Nurse i wouldnt be as upset as if they reached and took Lazar or Horvat @ 7. the latter 2 are medicore talents compared to lindholm/monahan and nurse has the upside that could make him a superstar. its just how confident are the oilers that he can make that......i'd put it around 60%??

Old
06-18-2013, 03:51 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Would you prefer css? Here are their final rankings for 2006.

http://cdn.nhl.com/futures/cssrankin.../naskaters.pdf
that doesnt help your case for Lazar at all, Lazar ranked 12-20 by most agencies...............aside from nick foligno there isnt must talent from 12-20. i'd rather have players in the top 7

Closed Thread