HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[CGY/FLA]Corban Knight for a 4th round pick in 2013; signs Knight to 2-year deal

Old
06-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
I really don't know much about him, but from what I've read on hockeysfuture, it sounds like a player the Flames could really use.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Da McBomb

vCash: 500
Hype over a college free agent signing seems to be the norm these days.

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Hype over a college free agent signing seems to be the norm these days.
Yeah I think enthusiasm should be tempered a bit here. Sounds like a decent prospect, but is anything but a safe bet to have an impact at the NHL level.

Like it for the Flames though, they have nothing to lose, may as well take a flier on some guys like this.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Analyzer*

He's a good prospect and played on a line with Kristo.

Looking at Calgary's prospect pool he definitely fits in the upper half of it. Top 8 at the very least.

Looking at some of Calgary's other 4th rounders and given the fact that Knight will likely be on the team this season it's a win for Calgary.

Considering he was going to leave anyways, Florida got something for him. They did good as well.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:51 PM
SephF
Patreeky

Congrats Flames fans, I was hoping the Oilers would land Knight.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:09 PM
madmike77

As a Flames fan I like the deal.

But I hate that picks are able to do this to the teams that drafted them.

The Flames have been on the other side of the fence in the past (I still hate you Tim Erixon).

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:18 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Well hes in competition with Backlund and Stajan. Neither are entrenched #2 centers. He could realistically pass one of them on the depth chart.

Its a bit harder to pass Gagner whos been there for 5 years now. Or maybe he thinks Oilers wll go out and get a 2 way shutdown center for 2c
I would guess Backlund will be the 1C.

Stajan was surprisingly good last year. I'm not sure he factors into the Flames long-term plans, but this year I'd be surprised if he wasn't the 2C.

Then there's a decent likelihood the Flames will draft either Monahan or Lindholm - although they don't tend to rush prospects so they'll likely keep whoever they draft in another league for at least another year.

I would guess the Flames want Knight to step as in as 3C - at present anyway.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:20 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiCounter View Post
He has a lawyer mannerism to his delivery.

"We feel that Corban Knight is a great young player that is in that 23 year old range that we've been looking to fill. He will slot right into our advanced tier of assets. By putting him there, we are letting the rest of our prospects know that Corban has the potential to fill the shoes of Jarome".
Probably because he is a lawyer

Old
06-18-2013, 03:46 PM
sirwilliam
Assume it's sarcasm

Smart kid. Calgary is a city where he'll get a real opportunity. Sad we didn't land him.

sirwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

vCash: 24405
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post

The Flames have been on the other side of the fence in the past (I still hate you Tim Erixon).
I agree with this - IMO if a player is unable to reach contract terms with the team that drafted him he should be required to re-enter the draft rather than becoming a free agent, with a compensatory pick going to the team that originally drafted him.

Ace Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:01 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I agree with this - IMO if a player is unable to reach contract terms with the team that drafted him he should be required to re-enter the draft rather than becoming a free agent, with a compensatory pick going to the team that originally drafted him.
Well that is how it works...

Except for NCAA players I guess.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:25 PM
GrindNMuck

Looks like the flames are planning on re-building there team with young NCAA players. Knight looks good almost a point per game in college.

GrindNMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:31 PM
sayheykid

If the NHL doesn't work out he always has a future as the lead character in an 80s television detective drama.

sayheykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Well that is how it works...

Except for NCAA players I guess.
No, just 1st rounders.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:39 PM
GrindNMuck

This might be off topic kind of. But how come they haven't added NCAA in ea sports NHL, Since they added OHL,WHL,QMJHL. ?

Old
06-18-2013, 04:49 PM
sayheykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
This might be off topic kind of. But how come they haven't added NCAA in ea sports NHL, Since they added OHL,WHL,QMJHL. ?
I'm going to guess it might have something to do with the restrictions against using NCAA players' likenesses.

Last edited by sayheykid: 06-18-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old
06-18-2013, 05:15 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheykid View Post
I'm going to guess it might have something to do with the restrictions against using NCAA players' likenesses.
I also believe the WHL gains money off of EA using their rights.

NCAA cannot accept money from anything.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:21 PM
GrindNMuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I also believe the WHL gains money off of EA using their rights.

NCAA cannot accept money from anything.
WHL,QMJHL,OHL do get money from EA sports, because there using there players and there names. If they did it without permission it would be illegal.

Im not sure with NCAA i don't know why they wouldn't accept money to have there players in a video game, i know OHL players that love to see themselves in the video game. I am sure NCAA players would love it to.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post

I was under the impression that it was a mutual decision for him not to sign?

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:56 PM
sayheykid

Quote:
Im not sure with NCAA i don't know why they wouldn't accept money to have there players in a video game, i know OHL players that love to see themselves in the video game. I am sure NCAA players would love it to.
Because they're doing everything they can to hang on to the already tenuous "amateur" designation their players have. If they openly use players' likenesses they open themselves up to legal action and accelerate the perhaps inevitable eventuality of having to pay players.

The NCAA has accepted money from EA obviously in other franchises, but always under the guise of using fictional players. If I'm not mistaken the NCAA is already facing legal action for using current players' likenesses and stats, while only changing their names and for using former players' names and likenesses without their permission.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Signature
Kings of the Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
I was under the impression that it was a mutual decision for him not to sign?
What kind of logic is that? "Mutual decision not to sign"...

Teams spend hundreds if not thousands of man-hours scouting prospects all over the entire world, then on draft day, they use a variable, yet valuable, asset to acquire a young player with hopes that one day they will play for their team or turn into a valuable asset themselves OR have both parties "mutually agree" to terminate their decision. That's how it works, yes, absolutely.

Pretty sure any organization, let alone a professional sports team, would disagree entirely.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Hockey Ninja
Go Flames Go!

We actually won the bid for a big name college UFA for once? Boy does this feel good.

Hockey Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:08 PM
GrindNMuck

Quote:
Because they're doing everything they can to hang on to the already tenuous "amateur" designation their players have. If they openly use players' likenesses they open themselves up to legal action and accelerate the perhaps inevitable eventuality of having to pay players.

The NCAA has accepted money from EA obviously in other franchises, but always under the guise of using fictional players. If I'm not mistaken the NCAA is already facing legal action for using current players' likenesses and stats, while only changing their names and for using former players' names and likenesses without their permission.
Im talking NCAA hockey, I just don't understand why they wouldn't want to have there players in a video game its not that big of a deal. And no EA sports does not give money to the NCAA hockey because of former players have moved on to the AHL, NHL they are in a different league so EA doesn't have to give money to them because of former players.

I mean NCAA hockey is alot different, the players that get drafted are freshman or something so it would be weird to work that out, and the juniors and seniors in college hockey during the video game would just go on free agent. It wouldn't be that hard to set up, i mean have the freshmen class players are only draft eligible (Maybe Sophomores as well) and have them play 4 years of college. OR when you're in BE A GM you can draft those eligible freshman and have them stay in college for 4 years or have them switch to Major Juniors, and the NON eligible draft players in college just continue to play until there 4 years are up and have them sit on free agents.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:19 PM
sayheykid

Quote:
Im talking NCAA hockey, I just don't understand why they wouldn't want to have there players in a video game its not that big of a deal. And no EA sports does not give money to the NCAA hockey because of former players have moved on to the AHL, NHL they are in a different league so EA doesn't have to give money to them because of former players.
The point is, if you use an athlete's likeness without compensating him, he has a right to seek damages against the organization that signed off on it. NCAA players are amateur athletes. The second an athlete accepts money for their performance or likeness they instantly forfeit NCAA eligibility. The reason The NCAA is being sued now for using former players' likenesses is because they're representing their attributes and historical accomplishments without compensation.

You can't use anyone's name without permission and/or compensation, if you pay them they're no longer amateur athletes, and without amateur athletes the NCAA no longer exists in it's current form. The players would (and should) demand compensation under this situation considering the billions upon billions the NCAA has raked in on the back of unpaid labor under the fallacious guise of a free education being adequate compensation.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:30 PM
GrindNMuck

Quote:
The point is, if you use an athlete's likeness without compensating him, he has a right to seek damages against the organization that signed off on it. NCAA players are amateur athletes. The second an athlete accepts money for their performance or likeness they instantly forfeit NCAA eligibility. The reason The NCAA is being sued now for using former players' likenesses is because they're representing their attributes and historical accomplishments without compensation.

You can't use anyone's name without permission and/or compensation, if you pay them they're no longer amateur athletes, and without amateur athletes the NCAA no longer exists in it's current form. The players would (and should) demand compensation under this situation considering the billions upon billions the NCAA has raked in on the back of unpaid labor under the fallacious guise of a free education being adequate compensation.
Okay the thing is i know someone very very. . very! well that has been in EA sports NHL since they released the OHL,WHL,QMJHL i think in 2010 the players do not receive money for being in a video game (In that level of hockey not sure of NHL players) the Major Junior leagues get paid for there players being in the game, the players don't.

And i think what your saying, if you don't sign a contract and get paid through the league your in you cant be in a video game? because your technically not a professional player.

College they don't get paid for playing hockey. OHL,WHL,QMJHL they do get paid.

- But the thing i don't get is why does it matter? really its a video game the NCAA hockey should just allow it and sign the papers. If the video game uses your players stats and personal things on the video game, who cares the NCAA is getting paid for it.

I think the big reason is that College hockey players don't get paid and aren't professional players. So they cant belong in video games. Because an OHL player name Connor Mcdavid, im sure you've heard of him. Well when there was an roster update on NHL 13 earlier in the year, he wasn't allowed in the video game until EA has seen that Connor signed a contract with the OHL.