HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1933-34 NHL Penalties

Old
06-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
1933-34 NHL Penalties

Very interesting:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6830%2C1162121

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:06 PM
mbhhofr

I think that they should bring the "loafing" penalty back.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Interesting.... if taken literally, "holding an opponent in any way whatsoever" a penalty, requiring clean "check" and only against the puck carrier. What they mean by "Anti-Defence" and "Loafing" Im not sure. Perhaps "ragging the puck"? Just carrying it around when playing a man short as Orr was wont to do for example?

Then theres "use of foul or abusive language towards an official", certainly something thats increased substantively throughout the last 50yrs, wasnt unheard of previously, but back then, authority was in fact shown more respect & not questioned quite so much. Though Coaches & GM's, Owners could go Coco Loco on them, plenty of stories about that, and of course Richard, his criticism, slugging one, the riots that followed due to his suspension.... then theres the goaltenders penalty, "must immediately release puck & return it to play". Thats interesting. Surely that didnt include scrambles in front of the net as well do you think?

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:16 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post

Then theres "use of foul or abusive language towards an official", certainly something thats increased substantively throughout the last 50yrs, wasnt unheard of previously, but back then, authority was in fact shown more respect & not questioned quite so much.
I was called every name in the book. Even today, whenever I hear someone near me say "You As*h*le," I automatically turn around thinking that they're talking to me.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Canadiens1958

Compared to Today

Same contentious penalties as today.

1.) Puck over glass.
2.) Too many men.

3.) five minute charging from behind is similar to hits from behind, blind spot. Concussion prevention 75 - 85 years ahead of its time.

4.) five minute violently body checking into the boards. see comment three above.

Anti-defence = after the 1928-29 NHL season a ruke was adopted limiting the number of defensive players inside the defensive blue line to two once the the puck left the defensive zone. The other three had to leave the defensive zone and play the puck outside the blue line.

Loafing = goal hanging of any form and not playing the puck as per the anti-defense rule. So a player could not just clear the defensive blue line and rest or loaf waiting for the play to come back up ice. This had similarities in the TB/PHIL situation where Laviolette the Philly coach ordered the Flyers dmen to stall in response to a passive TB 1-3-1. Mexican stand-off between delay of game and loafing.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
I was called every name in the book. Even today, whenever I hear someone near me say "You As*h*le," I automatically turn around thinking that they're talking to me.
Im sorry to hear that. Me too actually, only I was never a Ref, Linesman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Loafing = goal hanging of any form and not playing the puck as per the anti-defense rule. So a player could not just clear the defensive blue line and rest or loaf waiting for the play to come back up ice. This had similarities in the TB/PHIL situation where Laviolette the Philly coach ordered the Flyers dmen to stall in response to a passive TB 1-3-1. Mexican stand-off between delay of game and loafing.
Ok. So are we talking whats called being a "Goal Suck"? Whereby a Player, a Winger or Centre hangs out between the Blue & Centre "Loafing", not helping out his team mates & goalie on defence, just waiting around for a breakaway pass or errant mis-direct by the team on offence. Ref should be able to give those Loafers 2 Minutes, heck, 5 and a Misconduct. Loafers parking themselves top of your Crease, same thing. 5 Minutes, Misconduct. Phil Esposito wouldve been lucky to have scored 20 goals in a season let alone busting 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70. Dude wouldve spent all of his time in the box for Loafing... all time PIM's leader instead of one of the most prolific goal scorers to have played the game, and all accomplished by Leisurely Loafing. So what he took a few slashes, punches to the head?. Loafers gonna Loaf?. Penalize em'.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote