HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kris Letang on the block?

Old
06-19-2013, 02:12 AM
N o o d l e s

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
thanks once again for your valuable contribution to yet another Pens-related discussion.

Letang has significantly more value in the real world than you think he does. get over it.
I'm not saying he doesn't have value. He does, to teams that need offensive defensemen. I'll just assume you didn't see the post I initially responded to. It was to an Oilers fan that said they would like Letang because they need defense. Letang is the last type of defensmen they need; they don't need a PMD. They need a defense first oriented d-man. Which is not at ALL what Letang is.

There's no shame in being a offense first dman, they have tons of value (Subban, Karlsson, Letang, etc). But he's not the guy you go after if you're looking to add DEFENSE.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:13 AM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
You saw him in 4 games, apparently now you are an expert. Don't act all Andy Sutton on a message board pretending as your word, about an NHL player you know very little about, has value.

I guess Tyler Seguin sucks then. Am I doing this right?
Totally irrelevant to the discussion as I was not basing what I said on the 4 game series. So you would prefer Letang as a prime option if you were looking to add a sound defensive defenseman to your team?

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:14 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
I like this. Something around Eriksson would be perfect.
I can't see Nill giving up our last top line winger for a PMD (that's going to command 7 mil.) that we have plenty of. Granted, Goligoski and Gonchar don't have Letang's offensive prowess, but we're already loaded with PMDs (Morrow and Connauton could make the jump next year).

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:14 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
For an unsigned UFA to be Letang, you wont get anyone a whole lot better.

ESPECIALLY, when you would have 2 Mid 1st round picks added on top of McGinn(Would easily be a 30 goal scorer along side Crosby or Malkin).
Remind me...

1. Is Letang talking about a team he wants to go to, to test the market?
2. Have you ever heard Letang and his camp talk about testing the market?
3. Has Letang refused to sign an extension to test the market?

No to either. All anyone knows is that he wants to sign a long term contract and at market value (7m for his services, seems about right, just not right for the Penguins cap structure and therein lies the problem of keeping him with his current team).

So really, he hasn't shown a lack of interest in a long term contract, he just recently had a kid, he's probably not looking to bounce from his new team, to the next.

The team that contacts Shero about Letang, will be a team that has every interest in keeping him and sees that as the only option, why? Because they would have the cap structure to do so.

Now, is Colorado broke?

Can they not afford Letang's contract?

If the answer is yes to either, you can bow out of the Letang discussions because your team is out of it then.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:15 AM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxdown View Post
Letang + Glass

Edler + Kassian/Jensen + 2014 1st + conditional 2014 3rd (4th if no re-sign)

I only make a proposal because I know Letang's connection with Luc Bourdon and I feel Vancouver could be a good fit for him. We already lost out on Weber.
Letang is a marginal upgrade on Edler. This is while Edler is locked up for 6 more years at a reasonable cap. And Vancouver has to add one of their top prospects and a 1 st round pick? Uh no thanks. I'd love Letang in Van but that price is absurd.

Last edited by spiny norman: 06-19-2013 at 02:16 AM. Reason: not needed
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by N o o d l e s View Post
I'm not saying he doesn't have value. He does, to teams that need offensive defensemen. I'll just assume you didn't see the post I initially responded to. It was to an Oilers fan that said they would like Letang because they need defense. Letang is the last type of defensmen they need; they don't need a PMD. They need a defense first oriented d-man. Which is not at ALL what Letang is.

There's no shame in being a offense first dman, they have tons of value (Subban, Karlsson, Letang, etc). But he's not the guy you go after if you're looking to add DEFENSE.
believe it or not, Letang was Pittsburgh's best defensive player behind Martin this season. the Boston series didn't help matters (although 95% of the team also looked sloppy) but it also doesn't tell the whole story.

it's not my fault you misinterpreted Letang's defensive prowess from watching only four games.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
I can't see Nill giving up our last top line winger for a PMD (that's going to command 7 mil.) that we have plenty of. Granted, Goligoski and Gonchar don't have Letang's offensive prowess, but we're already loaded with PMDs (Morrow and Connauton could make the jump next year).
I don't see a trade with Dallas happening for a few reasons, but I like that return

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:17 AM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 456
Personally I don't think he is worth more then 6mil a year. He would get more for sure from another team but if he wants to play with Crosby and Malkin he will have to lower his demands.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:19 AM
Waffle Fries

Realistically I can see a trade with Montreal, Anaheim, Edmonton or Toronto if he actually ends up being shopped.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:19 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Totally irrelevant to the discussion as I was not basing what I said on the 4 game series. So you would prefer Letang as a prime option if you were looking to add a sound defensive defenseman to your team?
Again, you don't understand the conversation at all.

1. Did anyone say the Oilers were in need of a defensive defenseman? Because if you look at their roster, they have that, just terribly poor coaching and the results the last what, 5yrs, are proof of that.

2. The Oilers went hard after Jesse Schultz, a guy that was a PMD, he had his moments but he's still a rather unproven commodity, but having Letang, eases the pressure off of him and gives the Oilers a legit PMD.

3. Letang is a PMD, the notion that you think he's a defensive defensemen is the issue here. Letang is decent defensively, he's no defensive defenseman, he's prone to lapses like a lot of defensemen are (remind me, how many games was Chara in, during the games they lost to the Pens in the regular season? PO's Bylsma blew it, granted, but in that case you have the blind leading sheep), but he's a top 5 PMD without a shred of doubt, if you can't admit that, you just keep digging that hole you are in already.

Oilers have Smid, J. Schultz, and N.Schultz. Adding Letang improves their defensemen, hell, Letang would be their franchise defenseman. If they keep Fistric (they should) and re-sign Peckham, they have a decent core suddenly.

Smid, Letang
Fistric, J. Schultz
N.Schultz, Peckham/Petry

I'm not 100% sure about which side Jesse plays on.

Penguins would then just focus on how well Despres develops in a PMD role (which will increase) and keep closer tabs on Derrick Pouliot.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:22 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Realistically I can see a trade with Montreal, Anaheim, Edmonton or Toronto if he actually ends up being shopped.
Anaheim - Yes, I can see that.
Montreal - Markov & Subban...uh you sure about that? I don't.
Edmonton - Definitely. I mean hell, they traded FOR Whitney and went after Andy Sutton, there is a desperate need for D there.
Toronto - I can see that, but I don't see a trade between the two teams. Toronto won't want to give up what Shero will likely want.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:24 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Letang is a marginal upgrade on Edler. This is while Edler is locked up for 6 more years at a reasonable cap. And Vancouver has to add one of their top prospects and a 1 st round pick? Uh no thanks. I'd love Letang in Van but that price is absurd.
Defensively - Edler is better.
Offensively - Letang is better and as the saying here goes "and it's not even close."

Now, you need to think about what the Canucks need more. A better PMD or more Defensive Defensemen.

Hurricanes had E.Staal and Skinner, but they still went out and gave up a decent amount for Jordan Staal. What you think is right, isn't always what your GM feels is right. Gillis still hasn't put his "stamp" on the Canucks.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

I can honestly see a trade with Montreal, we have a LOT of offensive depth but not a standout one aside from Galchenyuk that could help out the Pittsburgh lines. We also have the cap space, the fact that Bergevin has been hiring Quebec people for all his staff, and a lot of draft picks.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Dirty Kari

Quote:
I don't see a trade with Dallas happening for a few reasons, but I like that return
All I would really offer is Morrow + #10 + #30 for a signed Letang. Dallas has too many holes in too many positions to trade away Eriksson. Don't see Dallas and Pittsburgh as good trade partners though. Stars have way too many needs and need to continue to build through the draft.

Dirty Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:29 AM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Anaheim - Yes, I can see that.
Montreal - Markov & Subban...uh you sure about that? I don't.
Edmonton - Definitely. I mean hell, they traded FOR Whitney and went after Andy Sutton, there is a desperate need for D there.
Toronto - I can see that, but I don't see a trade between the two teams. Toronto won't want to give up what Shero will likely want.
Markov only has one year left on his contract, there were murmurs before the season started that one reason they were so hesitant to give Subban a long term deal was in case Letang was made available (that may not be true and of course things likely have changed now), and he has a good relationship with MT.

Plus Montreal is the one place that I'm positive Letang would sign an extension.

Old
Mr Hands

Quote:
Again, you don't understand the conversation at all.

1. Did anyone say the Oilers were in need of a defensive defenseman? Because if you look at their roster, they have that, just terribly poor coaching and the results the last what, 5yrs, are proof of that.

2. The Oilers went hard after Jesse Schultz, a guy that was a PMD, he had his moments but he's still a rather unproven commodity, but having Letang, eases the pressure off of him and gives the Oilers a legit PMD.

3. Letang is a PMD, the notion that you think he's a defensive defensemen is the issue here. Letang is decent defensively, he's no defensive defenseman, he's prone to lapses like a lot of defensemen are (remind me, how many games was Chara in, during the games they lost to the Pens in the regular season? PO's Bylsma blew it, granted, but in that case you have the blind leading sheep), but he's a top 5 PMD without a shred of doubt, if you can't admit that, you just keep digging that hole you are in already.

Oilers have Smid, J. Schultz, and N.Schultz. Adding Letang improves their defensemen, hell, Letang would be their franchise defenseman. If they keep Fistric (they should) and re-sign Peckham, they have a decent core suddenly.

Smid, Letang
Fistric, J. Schultz
N.Schultz, Peckham/Petry

I'm not 100% sure about which side Jesse plays on.

Penguins would then just focus on how well Despres develops in a PMD role (which will increase) and keep closer tabs on Derrick Pouliot.
I agree with most of this except:
- Its Justin Schultz
- The Oilers D-core was terrible last year. I highly doubt they'll be keeping N. Schultz, Fistric, or Peckham
- Letang would be great on the oilers

Mr Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Defensively - Edler is better.
Offensively - Letang is better and as the saying here goes "and it's not even close."

Now, you need to think about what the Canucks need more. A better PMD or more Defensive Defensemen.

Hurricanes had E.Staal and Skinner, but they still went out and gave up a decent amount for Jordan Staal. What you think is right, isn't always what your GM feels is right. Gillis still hasn't put his "stamp" on the Canucks.
Edler is signed for 6 years at 5m. Letang has one year left before commanding a salary of 7m(more if he decides to test UFA)

I wouldn't trade Edler straight up for Letang. I'd be willing to offer a really solid package(Jensen + 1st ++), but not Edler.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Honour Over Glory

Quote:

The guy said we could use Defense.

As in Defensemen, you jumped to your own conclusions without really doing much research on the Oilers + Defense subject.

You look at the guys they have used and are using or went after and it gets very clear.

Potter was a regular for them, a guy that was nothing more than a WBS vet for the Pens prior to him joining the Oil. They went after Sutton and traded for Whitney before that and were likely trying to get Sustr and the guy the Wings signed (name escapes me at the moment, it's late) to add to their addition of Justin Schultz.

The Oilers are desperate to bulk up their defense in every way possible. It doesn't take more than just looking into their forum and their trade proposals to figure that out, oh and reading about them in their news and what not.

Last edited by Honour Over Glory: 06-19-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old
06-19-2013, 02:31 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Markov only has one year left on his contract, there were murmurs before the season started that one reason they were so hesitant to give Subban a long term deal was in case Letang was made available (that may not be true and of course things likely have changed now), and he has a good relationship with MT.

Plus Montreal is the one place that I'm positive Letang would sign an extension.
Letang would sign an extension with any team that is likely to make the playoffs and has the cap space to sign him.

Let's be real about that.

Also, no faith in Nathan Beaulieu?

Old
06-19-2013, 02:32 AM
belair

Quote:

Smid, Letang
Fistric, J. Schultz
N.Schultz, Peckham/Petry

I'm not 100% sure about which side Jesse Justin plays on.

You're right - Edmonton does need a puck-moving defenseman despite the acquisition of Justin Schultz. Letang would be the perfect mentor for Oscar Klefbom, who is likely to make the team out of camp this fall.

And I'd assume any deal regarding Letang would have to include Petry heading the other way. Also Fistric and Peckham are both unlikely to be resigned. So if a trade were to go down Edmonton's depth chart would likely be:

Klefbom / Letang
Smid / J Schultz
N Schultz / Belov
Potter

So.......better.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
You're right - Edmonton does need a puck-moving defenseman despite the acquisition of Justin Schultz. Letang would be the perfect mentor for Oscar Klefbom, who is likely to make the team out of camp this fall.

And I'd assume any deal regarding Letang would have to include Petry heading the other way. Also Fistric and Peckham are both unlikely to be resigned. So if a trade were to go down Edmonton's depth chart would likely be:

Klefbom / Letang
Smid / J Schultz
N Schultz / Belov
Potter

So.......better.
My bad, I don't know why I keep typing Jesse instead of Justin. I blame EA NHL,

I wouldn't mind Petry, but I think Ray would also go after a forward prospect and a pick (not sure about which pick, but I would maybe go after both 2nd rounders).

Last edited by Honour Over Glory: 06-19-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old
06-19-2013, 02:36 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Letang for just the 3rd overall pick? That's a horrible trade for the Pens.

Last year, they got an 8th overall pick, a very good defense prospect, and a former 1st round top 15 pick that should grow into a damn solid pivot behind Sid & Geno as the #1 and #2 C's.

Letang, some how....goes for less than Jordan Staal?

PMD's are still a huge target. Especially young ones that can be around for a long time, Letang is better than people give him credit for here.
Considering the Pens could get Jonathan Freaking Drouin at number 3, you bet your ass that's a good trade for Pittsburgh! Adding Drouin to the Pens would make the Penguins SO much more offensively dangerous to the point where Crosby would get too much open space to realistically fantasize about. People would forget about Letang very quickly with him in town, I didn't mention that fantasy for nothing. Which is what it is, a fantasy, so enough on this.

If Edmonton fans are thinking of getting Letang, then make no mistake, one of their big pieces will have to go the other way: Klefbom, Schultz, Eberle, Yakupov, etc.

Last edited by BLASPHEMOUS: 06-19-2013 at 02:42 AM.
BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Iron Mike

Quote:

I am a Pens fan and I agree completely with this. Too many Pens fans are either too ignorant or in denial about Letang's defensive shortcomings. He has been awful in the playoffs in the last few years and I don't believe the DB system is right for him to correct himself. The only part I disagree with is that I believe they need young wingers in return. Have many d prospects in the pipeline. Absolutely no wingers.

Iron Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Letang would sign an extension with any team that is likely to make the playoffs and has the cap space to sign him.

That's where his girlfriend and baby are, he's building a house there. Maybe I should rephrase it and say it would likely be his #1 choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post

Klefbom / Letang
Smid / J Schultz
N Schultz / Belov
Potter

So.......better.
See, here's the thing. In a Letang trade, I think Shero would want one of Klefbom or Schultz in return.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:40 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Nathan Beaulieu is gonna be good, but Letang is a significant upgrade on Gorges (which I like a lot but seem to have slowed down a lot) for the present. Actually, maybe Beaulieu could be part of the return?

I'd be willing to give up a lot for Letang.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote