HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Ratings II: More 2013 NHL TV Ratings

Old
06-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Jonas1235

vCash: 500
Can we all agree that the solid out of town ratings for this final is because of the Chicago/Boston factor? Transplant fans, or even people who are fans of a city rooting for "their cities" team. eg. Red Sox fan in New York watching the Bruins? Who might not even be from Boston.

When it's LA/New Jersey, nobody really cared because there is no following of these cities or teams. A little bigger bump on the west coast, but hockey is an east coast sport.

These ratings would be the same if it was New York Rangers/Detroit Red Wings, only different cities would be higher than others. Atlantic City(Rangers) versus Indiana(Hawks) for example.

It's all about who's playing and how big their following is, and how big their cities following is. If there's different big teams playing in the Final every year, then more cities would be watching and a better chance of getting actual new hockey fans. It's a slow process though. If the big American teams or even Leafs/Canadiens are not in the Finals consistently, then the NHL and NHLPA's projected revenue increases will not happen. Which will be a blackeye for the NHLPA who is banking on higher revenues to pay for their lost salary.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:57 AM
ebox99

Regarding NBCSN trying to get their channel to a lower digit.

Why don't they take Channel 500, or 600 or 999 etc to make it easier to remember for everyone?

ebox99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:12 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebox99 View Post
Regarding NBCSN trying to get their channel to a lower digit.

Why don't they take Channel 500, or 600 or 999 etc to make it easier to remember for everyone?
That's up to the cable provider.

It's on 174 for me, with ESPN at 173. On Uverse and DirecTV, it's right in the middle of the rest of the sports channels, so no problems there.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Muckr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Most of Milwaukee is and Kenosha is tiny compared to the whole metro area (4th biggest county in SE Wisconsin).
What? You serious?
I thought somebody told me that Milwaukee and Wisconsin do not and will not ever root for Chicago in any sport.

Muckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Muckr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Guy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
Can we all agree that the solid out of town ratings for this final is because of the Chicago/Boston factor? Transplant fans, or even people who are fans of a city rooting for "their cities" team. eg. Red Sox fan in New York watching the Bruins? Who might not even be from Boston.

When it's LA/New Jersey, nobody really cared because there is no following of these cities or teams. A little bigger bump on the west coast, but hockey is an east coast sport.

These ratings would be the same if it was New York Rangers/Detroit Red Wings, only different cities would be higher than others. Atlantic City(Rangers) versus Indiana(Hawks) for example.

It's all about who's playing and how big their following is, and how big their cities following is. If there's different big teams playing in the Final every year, then more cities would be watching and a better chance of getting actual new hockey fans. It's a slow process though. If the big American teams or even Leafs/Canadiens are not in the Finals consistently, then the NHL and NHLPA's projected revenue increases will not happen. Which will be a blackeye for the NHLPA who is banking on higher revenues to pay for their lost salary.
If big market, original six teams, or exciting teams (Pittsburgh) are not in the finals, the rating will stink.
If they are in then we will see continued growth.

We can also agree that New York is a great hockey town and if they had a five year run like Boston or Chicago they too would experience huge ratings and further boost NHL growth.

Recall Chicago in 2010 had alright ratings but this year, they are much higher. Good teams=ratings boost.

Muckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Tough Guy

Quote:

The Final has very little (if any) relation to league revenue. You make it sound like the NHL lives or dies based off 7 games in June.

And the big markets matter so much as far as ratings are concerned in hockey because it is the only major sport that doesn't care about the quality of its product. Casual fans in general hate hockey. And, to be honest, I don't blame them. If I wasn't raised watching this sport, I wouldn't follow it at all. We are entering dead puck era #2, so it's extremely unlikely casual fans are being won over by the product currently on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
We can also agree that New York is a great hockey town and if they had a five year run like Boston or Chicago they too would experience huge ratings and further boost NHL growth.
The only person who agrees with that statement in this thread is you. New York is far from a "great hockey town". New York will always be able to support a team based on the massive population, but their ratings absolutely stunk. I'm not buying "oh, if we had a run like Chicago" stuff. The Rangers have been a good team forever and the ratings still suck.

Last edited by Tough Guy: 06-19-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:39 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

What is the estimation difference between NBCSN's 80% in homes and ESPN's 100% in terms of households?

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
What is the estimation difference between NBCSN's 80% in homes and ESPN's 100% in terms of households?
I'd say around 20%.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Kitten Mittons

NBA game did a 14.7 and peaked at 19.8. Hot damn. Game 7 ratings will be legit.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013...ings-game-six/

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 01:40 PM
scotchex

In 2012 Nielsen reported 114.2M TV households. It's actually declined by about 1% in the last few years.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
NBA game did a 14.7 and peaked at 19.8. Hot damn. Game 7 ratings will be legit.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013...ings-game-six/
I read it was only the 4th highest NBA game since ABC got the NBA contract.

It's good, but hardly "hot damn" worthy.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

wasn't this supposed to be the year that the NHL reached par with NBA finals ratings?

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:38 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
wasn't this supposed to be the year that the NHL reached par with NBA finals ratings?
Anyone who thought that was delusional. The NHL is making nice gains, but it's still too regional to compete with the NBA, nationally anyway.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:01 PM
TheKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I think it'd give a memphis-indiana final a run for its money.

TheKule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:22 PM
frivolousz21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKule View Post
I think it'd give a memphis-indiana final a run for its money.

Nope.

frivolousz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:41 PM
TheKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
Nope.
Assuming the SCF goes 7, I think you can expect the series to average around 8 million on NBC.

Now, san antonio-new jersey averaged just under 10 million over 6 games in 2003, and thats 2 major media markets involved. memphis indiana are both tiny media markets and have no superstars.

I think the NBA still takes it, but its closer than your [mod] "Nope" would seem to imply.

Last edited by Fugu: 06-20-2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: offensive
Old
06-19-2013, 05:34 PM
glbrown
Rookie User

Stanley Cup Final Update (via @stevelepore, @billbriouxTV, @NBCSportsPR)

Game 1: 2.46 M on CBC + 6.358M on NBC = 8.818M viewers
Game 2: 2.724M on CBC + 3.964M on NBCSN = 6.688M viewers
Game 3: 2.536M on CBC + 4.001M on NBCSN = 6.537M viewers

Does not include American viewers of CBC or Canadian viewers of NBC. (NBCSN not on Canadian TV)

glbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Wingsfan2965*

NBCSN is 220 for me while ESPN is 206.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Fenway

vCash: 50
Why NBC, NHL shut out by potential viewers by airing Stanley Cup Final games on NBC Sports Network -

See more at: http://www.shermanreport.com/is-nhl-....fxBS6ZtH.dpuf

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:47 PM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbrown View Post
Stanley Cup Final Update (via @stevelepore, @billbriouxTV, @NBCSportsPR)

Game 1: 2.46 M on CBC + 6.358M on NBC = 8.818M viewers
Game 2: 2.724M on CBC + 3.964M on NBCSN = 6.688M viewers
Game 3: 2.536M on CBC + 4.001M on NBCSN = 6.537M viewers

Does not include American viewers of CBC or Canadian viewers of NBC. (NBCSN not on Canadian TV)
There would be about a half million viewers or less on RDS for each game but no info is out there.

CBCnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:51 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
What? You serious?
I thought somebody told me that Milwaukee and Wisconsin do not and will not ever root for Chicago in any sport.
Many refuse to, like me. Many do however. I'm watching and rooting for Boston but I'm in the minority.

Only part of Kenosha County is in the Milwaukee TV market.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Jonas1235

[QUOTE=Tough Guy;67685385]The Final has very little (if any) relation to league revenue. You make it sound like the NHL lives or dies based off 7 games in June.[QUOTE]

And you make it seem like there's no path to the Final. Could be a 100 million difference in a Bruins/Hawks final and a Stars/Devils final. That's an entire teams yearly revenue.

eg. 24 Hawks home games + Bruins home games vs. 24 Devils home games + Stars home games.

Plus higher tv ratings equals way more ad revenue which has been the biggest difference in NHL today versus 7 years ago.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:31 PM
TheKule

Quote:
Plus higher tv ratings equals way more ad revenue which has been the biggest difference in NHL today versus 7 years ago.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the NHL gets any ad revenue, that all goes to NBC.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Blue Regime

Speaking for the New York market, I know a lot of people here, including myself, don't get NBCSN. Heard it's one of the lowest percentages of people who have it in the country.

That being said, most of the other big cities will get behind whichever of the NBA or NHL team is doing better, Boston and Chicago being perfect examples. However, New York is much more slanted towards basketball than hockey. Granted if the Rangers made a deep run, things would pick up a little bit, but they have been good for years while the Knicks just won their first playoff series in forever this year, yet the Knicks are much, much more popular. It's kinda similar to LA - people will jump on the bandwagon, but for whatever reason hockey is not viewed as "equal" to the other main sports, and it pisses me off.

Blue Regime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:08 AM
joelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Regime View Post
Speaking for the New York market, I know a lot of people here, including myself, don't get NBCSN. Heard it's one of the lowest percentages of people who have it in the country.

That being said, most of the other big cities will get behind whichever of the NBA or NHL team is doing better, Boston and Chicago being perfect examples. However, New York is much more slanted towards basketball than hockey. Granted if the Rangers made a deep run, things would pick up a little bit, but they have been good for years while the Knicks just won their first playoff series in forever this year, yet the Knicks are much, much more popular. It's kinda similar to LA - people will jump on the bandwagon, but for whatever reason hockey is not viewed as "equal" to the other main sports, and it pisses me off.
Demographics,demographics and demographics

joelef is offline   Reply With Quote