HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 06:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
According to Ilya Bryzgalov's agent, Ritch Winter, Flyers' GM Paul Holmgren assured him that Bryzgalov will not be bought out by the team, contrary to a number of recent reports.
The news is a bit surprising considering all indications were pointing towards both Daniel Briere and Bryz being bought out. The Flyers followed through with their decision on Briere, but apparently are leaning towards keeping their much-maligned goaltender. However, there is some reason to be skeptical, as Holmgren also assured Jeff Carter's agent back in 2011 that he wouldn't be traded, only to find Carter on a plane to L.A. a week later. Moreover, with news today that the Flyers are targeting Jonathan Bernier in a trade, Bryz's future in Philly is still up in the air.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:37 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Holmgren is like a little kid playing an NHL game always drastically changing his team.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
According to Ilya Bryzgalov's agent, Ritch Winter, Flyers' GM Paul Holmgren assured him that Bryzgalov will not be bought out by the team, contrary to a number of recent reports.
The news is a bit surprising considering all indications were pointing towards both Daniel Briere and Bryz being bought out. The Flyers followed through with their decision on Briere, but apparently are leaning towards keeping their much-maligned goaltender. However, there is some reason to be skeptical, as Holmgren also assured Jeff Carter's agent back in 2011 that he wouldn't be traded, only to find Carter on a plane to L.A. a week later. Moreover, with news today that the Flyers are targeting Jonathan Bernier in a trade, Bryz's future in Philly is still up in the air.
They don't really have a choice. They have to be below the cap for training camp and can't count anyone as LTIR before then. Buying out Briere alone isn't enough, unless they're dumping cap space elsewhere.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
They don't really have a choice. They have to be below the cap for training camp and can't count anyone as LTIR before then. Buying out Briere alone isn't enough, unless they're dumping cap space elsewhere.
They can move a d-man...Meszaros Grossman or Coburn. Plus they can be 10% above the cap all off season.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Brainiac

Quote:
1- Told you so. Not surprised at all.

2- They buy out Briere, maybe another minor move. Problem solved.

Now let's wait and see TB, VAN etc confirm that Vinny and Luongo won't be bought out.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
1- Told you so. Not surprised at all.

Now let's wait and see TB, VAN etc confirm that Vinny and Luongo won't be bought out.
Still leaves them in a bad spot, goalie who's head is screwed up, no cap space to change much of the roster.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Holmgren is like a little kid playing an NHL game always drastically changing his team.
I like some of the moves he did but others have just been a disaster for him and that franchise. Has no patience whatsoever

Old
06-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Still leaves them in a bad spot, goalie who's head is screwed up, no cap space to change much of the roster.
Well at least they have a young goalie in Mason who might be able to turn his career around. He's still young and showed good stuff after being traded there last year

It's mostly their D, and rumors that they want to move Coburn for Ryan

Old
06-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Well at least they have a young goalie in Mason who might be able to turn his career around. He's still young and showed good stuff after being traded there last year

It's mostly their D, and rumors that they want to move Coburn for Ryan
Mason isn't really a guy I'd put much hope in. Plus if Mason takes over the #1 job you have a huge contract on the bench. Phillie can't afford a regular buyout on Bryz. I keep hearing Bernier to Phillie rumors so the Bryz not getting bought out thing is probably just a smokescreen so LA doesn't put the screws to them for Bernier...poker game.

Their defense is not bad, it's just they have the wrong mix. Too many stay at home d-men with 38 year old Timonen as their only real PMD. It's the complete opposite of the Habs in the playoffs.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:27 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
What success? 1 Conference finals, one 1st-round exit, 1 Stanley Cup Finals, swept by the Bruins in 2011 in the 2nd round, 2nd round last year and they missed the playoffs this year.
Like I said, MORE success than any GM here in his tenure.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post

Not sure how keeping Bryzgalov and "problem solved" go together. They still him as a goalie. And which Mason are we going to see? They should have bought him and finally address the goalie situation.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:58 AM
habtastic

The only redeeming aspect of the Van-Bos final was that the hatred developed fast and lasted.

Most Hawks fans are jerking off to the bruins' amazingness and berating their own team. Fair enough, bruins playing well and Hawks are shooting themselves in the foot, but FFS, bruins aren't all of a sudden a bunch of nice guys. They (Hawks fans, at least on their board) seem to think that Habs fans are imagining the hooking that's going on and (particularly in previous rounds) how the bruins would get away with non-calls to a ridiculous degree. Full credit to boston (who I still maintain are very very beatable), but this series needs some animosity, and from the Hawks fans. How does one see Marchand's face and not want to punch it? For that matter Chara and his cheap shots.

Hoping game 4
a) ties the series
b) gets the Hawks a little hungrier to beat those A holes (sorry, I'm one of the few who has not jumped on the "bruins are the most amazing team and you have to just accept it" bandwagon)

Is it just me or does the United Center not seem at all like a Madhouse during the games? TD garden certainly pumps up the bruins. Not sure the Hawks fans are doing there part. Has there even been a Vince Vaughn sighting? I was there for a 1st rd game in 2010 (year they won) that they tied in the last minute and won in OT (Kane then Hossa) and let's just say the sequence of events resembled the Heat fans phenomenon that just occurred. Really hoping home ice gets the Hawks that must-needed win after hopefully tying it.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
The only redeeming aspect of the Van-Bos final was that the hatred developed fast and lasted.

Most Hawks fans are jerking off to the bruins' amazingness and berating their own team. Fair enough, bruins playing well and Hawks are shooting themselves in the foot, but FFS, bruins aren't all of a sudden a bunch of nice guys. They (Hawks fans, at least on their board) seem to think that Habs fans are imagining the hooking that's going on and (particularly in previous rounds) how the bruins would get away with non-calls to a ridiculous degree. Full credit to boston (who I still maintain are very very beatable), but this series needs some animosity, and from the Hawks fans. How does one see Marchand's face and not want to punch it? For that matter Chara and his cheap shots.

Hoping game 4
a) ties the series
b) gets the Hawks a little hungrier to beat those A holes (sorry, I'm one of the few who has not jumped on the "bruins are the most amazing team and you have to just accept it" bandwagon)

Is it just me or does the United Center not seem at all like a Madhouse during the games? TD garden certainly pumps up the bruins. Not sure the Hawks fans are doing there part. Has there even been a Vince Vaughn sighting? I was there for a 1st rd game in 2010 (year they won) that they tied in the last minute and won in OT (Kane then Hossa) and let's just say the sequence of events resembled the Heat fans phenomenon that just occurred. Really hoping home ice gets the Hawks that must-needed win after hopefully tying it.
The bruins are not an amazing team, they are built for playoff reffing and they take full advantage of that. Shame on the NHL for having two different set of rules for playoffs and regular season.

Still, I believe a healthy MTL team can beat them, if only because Chara goes nuts everytime we play them.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

One other thing you have to wish if you hate the Bruins......is that they don't find a team between their last game and the draft, who would ship them a top pick for the UFA rights to Horton....But knowing how the rest of the league LOVES to help the Bruins...geez, I wouldn't even be surprised....

Old
06-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
One other thing you have to wish if you hate the Bruins......is that they don't find a team between their last game and the draft, who would ship them a top pick for the UFA rights to Horton....But knowing how the rest of the league LOVES to help the Bruins...geez, I wouldn't even be surprised....
I don't care what anyone says about his concussion issues, but Habs should pick up Horton. They need talent in the top 6. Horton has size, but he's also a good hockey player. He steps up in big games.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I don't care what anyone says about his concussion issues, but Habs should pick up Horton. They need talent in the top 6. Horton has size, but he's also a good hockey player. He steps up in big games.
It's about time we steal something valuable from Boston.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:43 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Horton agent is Bobby Orr. Horton said he wanted to stay in Boston and will probably accept less moneyto stay there.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:44 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
The bruins are not an amazing team, they are built for playoff reffing and they take full advantage of that. Shame on the NHL for having two different set of rules for playoffs and regular season.

Still, I believe a healthy MTL team can beat them, if only because Chara goes nuts everytime we play them.
As homerish as it sounds, I totally agree with this sentiment.

And you're so right about the "dynamic reffing". I hate the chintzy penalties like when a player trips over another's stick and it gets called or when there's a love tap on the glove (though the players should be smarter), but this (bruins style) level of hooking and interference actually affects scoring chances. Not that the Hawks haven't gotten away with a few, but well, as you said, bruins are built for a situation when the rules are changed. I cannot wait for the next Habs-Bruins series. Tired of seeing teams just fall into their trap (no pun intended).

Old
06-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

According to CSNPhilly.com's Tim Panaccio the Philadelphia Flyers have not offered any assurances to goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov.
There was a report that Bryzgalov's agent, Ritch Winter, had been told by the Flyers that the Russian goalie would not be bought out by the team, but that appears to be false. GM Paul Holmgren told CSN: "I didn't assure Ritch Winter of anything. When the time comes to do our business we will do whatever is best for our hockey team." Philadelphia is currently in the hunt for another goaltender and if they manage to bring in someone else then Bryzgalov will probably be bought out. However, it's also possible that he will share the crease with Steve Mason in 2013-14.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Horton agent is Bobby Orr. Horton said he wanted to stay in Boston and will probably accept less moneyto stay there.
Less usually means 500k/year at most.

So if they feel his market is 5.5-6 mil/year then he will want about 5.25 to about 21 mil over 4 years +- a million.

Can Boston afford that and keep their RFA's the next few years? As good as he was in the playoffs he looked unmitivated during the season.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:05 PM
gusfring

Aggressive teams find ways to keep their players. Only team I can think of that shed a bunch of salary were they Hawks.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It sounds like he's about to go for some pretty serious shoulder surgery too...

I don't know, I think I like the idea of Horton more than I like Horton the player, if that makes any sense. The injuries are a big question mark and I never found him much of a tough player when Lucic and Chara weren't there to stand behind him. I wouldn't be upset if we got him but I would be leery of paying too much for him. He could be a bodycheck away from a breakdown.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It sounds like he's about to go for some pretty serious shoulder surgery too...

I don't know, I think I like the idea of Horton more than I like Horton the player, if that makes any sense. The injuries are a big question mark and I never found him much of a tough player when Lucic and Chara weren't there to stand behind him. I wouldn't be upset if we got him but I would be leery of paying too much for him. He could be a bodycheck away from a breakdown.
He had a lot of shoulder injuries back in juniors and early on in his NHL career if I'm not mistaking. Very risky but I get what you mean, we could definitely use a player that has guts like him

Old
06-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

These negotiations could impact PK's

According to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, it looks like the Penguins are willing to deal Kris Letang if his contract demands don't soften.
If he agrees to taking an annual salary of around $6 million with a limited-movement clause then it's reasonable to believe that he will stay in Pittsburgh. However, it is being speculated that Letang is seeking around $7 million per season and a no-movement clause, which could land him elsewhere. It didn't take Penguins GM Ray Shero long to deal Jordan Staal after he rejected the club's 10-year contract and Letang might receive similar treatment. Pittsburgh also has a handful of blueline prospects who aren't far away from being NHLers, so that could soften the blow of losing Letang. Trade talks for Letang could heat up a the general managers' meeting on Wednesday.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Based on what? A thread by some angry fans? Okay, so there's also a chance that Price is traded, that Markov is bought out and that Gionta is the worst hockey player in the planet. Come on. He had a tougher offensive season THIS YEAR. 1 year but then there's serious talks of being bought out? Julien just talked that one of his biggest regret was to not have tried Seguin with Kelly and Paille sooner....and you think that wil mean he's out at the end of the year? Oh and in that that thread I also see people wanting to ship out Horton and Lucic. And I haven't read all that threads. But I also surely saw 1000 threads on the same very Bruins board that wanted Julien and Chiarelli out as well. So again, does that make them realistic threads? Nope, it's called emotional ones based on actual play that makes sense as a board like this also exist to vent. But in no way do they always express what HAS to be done.
Based on the way he played during the season + playoffs? You did not even answer my question btw. So wow Kelly has showed two games since Julien started to play him with Paille and Seguin...and it's probably because of Paille if he's so good in your opinion, the guy has been everywhere in the playoffs. He's a monster. You and me don't know that yet. Nobody knows if he's out at the end of the year. But I admit, people are still quite emotional. All I wanted to say to you is Kelly hasn't been the same key player this year compared to 2011.

Quote:
As far as Moore is concerned...who cares. The guy was Such a key player that we decided to not re-sign him. We have a 2nd rounder, a key pick based on the fact that Timmins is one of the best out there, for half of a season and playoffs a guy that was so good to us that he didn't deserved the 2.2 for 2 years he got in TBay? Come on, makes no sense. There has to be a bad move here. Whether it's throw a 2nd rounder for a guy that isn't worth that....whether it was to not keep him after if he was so great. Bad trade.
Gauthier decided to not re-sign him. Maybe because he was asking too much? Maybe because Gauthier saw no reasons to keep him? Who knows. But I hope you're not saying Moore wasn't a key player. I know giving a 2nd-round pick for this guy frustrates you because Timmins could have get a good prospect but facts are Moore helped us during our run to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Our opinions are just different and I don't really see the point of continuing to argue.

Closed Thread