HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Poli Sci at Concordia.

Old
10-15-2006, 11:57 AM
PattyRoy

vCash: 500
OT: Poli Sci at Concordia.

Sup fellow Hab fans. Been reading this board for a while and I'm glad I finally decided to join up. I'm a 19 year old student at Vanier and I'm in my final semester ready to start University in the winter. I'm interested in going into Political Science. Everythng I've heard though, is that Concordia's program (or entire Science department) is crap. It's only good to go to CU for Business. I'd love to go to McGill, but I doubt I have the grades. My 3 choices for programs are Business, Psychology or Poli Sci.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

PattyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:00 PM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyRoy View Post
Sup fellow Hab fans. Been reading this board for a while and I'm glad I finally decided to join up. I'm a 19 year old student at Vanier and I'm in my final semester ready to start University in the winter. I'm interested in going into Political Science. Everythng I've heard though, is that Concordia's program (or entire Science department) is crap. It's only good to go to CU for Business. I'd love to go to McGill, but I doubt I have the grades. My 3 choices for programs are Business, Psychology or Poli Sci.

Don't go in psychology: you'll need a Ph.D just to practice and teh field is oversaturated anyways. Political Science won't get you anywhere in life. Might get you a nice McDonald's manager job . I would suggest Business at Concordia because they are considered as having one of the best business programs. Or else, have you considered the sciences? BTW, if you wish to start in Winter, hte deadline is November 1st if I remember correctly.

BTW, what's your CRC?

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:04 PM
PattyRoy

CRC is R score right? Mine's a lowly 25...

Old
10-15-2006, 12:07 PM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
If I remember correctly, that's average. Just apply everywhere, you'll get accepted. However, you have less of a chance of being accepted in Winter because most University have very limited space in Winter. So if you apply and don't get accepted this winter, don't let that discourage you from applying next fall.

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Live Forever

Quote:
You're gonna have a difficult time getting into Business with a low 25. If for example you are trying to transfer into Business while already in University, they are really strict about the GPA. I think they want a 2.7 GPA. To get accepted from University, you're looking at a 26.5 to 27 minimum, but then again it is the Winter semester and maybe they will be lenient depending on your math grades and rhe amount of applicants.

But my suggestion would be if you really want to persue an education in Business but end up getting accepted into another program, you should just start taking the required classes to get into the Business ex, Econ 201, 203, Comm 210, 212, 215, 217....your maths incase your marks were bad. These are classes that you can basically take no matter which program you are in but will get you a head start for your Business program. If you can maintain a GPA above 2.7 you can apply for a transfer in your concentration field by May 1st assuming your math grades are decent. If all else fails, I would recommend a Major in Economics, and a minor in Business studies.

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:17 PM
DicAnns

One of my good buddies is in his final year of Political Science at Concordia and he seems to enjoy it a lot...
He's planning on staying at Concordia next year for his master's...

DicAnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Ghost of Saku

If you choose Poli Sci, hit me up for the book for intro

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Markov79

Unless you have the ability to get atleast a master's in poli sci or psych do not waste your time. Graduate school at Concordia in poli sci requires a 3.3 GPA which is above average. Unless you really slacked in Cegep and could of done better than a 25 CRC you should think hard before going for an Arts degree. A BA leaves you with too few options.

Markov79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:33 PM
PattyRoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever View Post
You're gonna have a difficult time getting into Business with a low 25. If for example you are trying to transfer into Business while already in University, they are really strict about the GPA. I think they want a 2.7 GPA. To get accepted from University, you're looking at a 26.5 to 27 minimum, but then again it is the Winter semester and maybe they will be lenient depending on your math grades and rhe amount of applicants.

But my suggestion would be if you really want to persue an education in Business but end up getting accepted into another program, you should just start taking the required classes to get into the Business ex, Econ 201, 203, Comm 210, 212, 215, 217....your maths incase your marks were bad. These are classes that you can basically take no matter which program you are in but will get you a head start for your Business program. If you can maintain a GPA above 2.7 you can apply for a transfer in your concentration field by May 1st assuming your math grades are decent. If all else fails, I would recommend a Major in Economics, and a minor in Business studies.
I already passed Macro.

Thanks for the knowledge.

BTW, when I'm applying to I apply for Grad Studies, or undergrad studies?

Old
10-15-2006, 12:34 PM
PattyRoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79 View Post
Unless you have the ability to get atleast a master's in poli sci or psych do not waste your time. Graduate school at Concordia in poli sci requires a 3.3 GPA which is above average. Unless you really slacked in Cegep and could of done better than a 25 CRC you should think hard before going for an Arts degree. A BA leaves you with too few options.

I did slack. Big time.

Anyway, Poli Scie is closed for the winter session.

Old
10-16-2006, 12:18 AM
InAG-P

Concordia's Poli Sci program is a very strong program right now. It appears to have surpassed McGill's as Concordia is home to many professors right now in poli sci that are publishing a lot! This is indicitive in the fact that the admission requirements for Honors as well as the Masters program have increased. Ever year the admission requirements get tougher and tougher. I know someoen with a 3.8 GPS that got rejected from the Masters program.

Poli Sci concordia is a very good choice...but you need to know what your getting yourself into...once you get that degree, it's you ability to get your name around that will get you in good positions (i know recent grads working for the democratic party in the states and in the liberal party in ontario with BAs).

InAG-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 08:09 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

For Political Science, U de M is the place to be right now

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

If it's really a choice between the three programs and you think you would all like them equaly, then go in business. You can major in business and learn political science and psychology stuff by yourself on the side (if you like the topics). As other have said, a simple bachelor in business is a great overall tool, while political science and psychology requires Phd to be meaningful (of course, if that's what you want, go for it!)

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Habs4ever

I say

Try out Economics program first it has very good potential, and if you do specialization you'll be able to do some math and Statistics, it might land you very good job in bank, and maybe use business as minor to work on other skills like presentations and all those sort of things, that what I did!!

Tip: You have to wait two semester or 12 credits before applying for minor, so take easy courses in the begginning maybe even drop few if you think you'll ruin your GPA, keep your average around 70, and voila your on your way to minor in business!

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:39 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Don't worry about what field or program you go in.

There are jobs for every field.

What ever you do, DO NOT pick a program/field simply because you think it has good career aspirations.

Always go for whatever interests you the most. University is difficult enough as it is if you're in something you like, it's horrible if you're stuck in something you don't.

I started off in biochemistry, got average grades and a B.Sc but did Political Science classes as electives on the side, took an extra year and ended up with a BA Hons. and Dean's List.

Your grades are more important than the actual program you are in, particularly if you're thinking about graduate school/professional schools (i.e. law, medicine).

So make sure you take a program with courses that interest you, work hard and try to finish near the top of your class. Even if you're in art history, having high marks in that program is better than being an average student in a more "job-related" field.

The way the job market is saturated with undergraduate degrees these days, you should probably plan for a graduate degree of some kind. A BSc or even a BScH is basically useless because there are a ton of Masters students with Science degrees running around so your career aspiration is basically a lab technician unless you go further with your education.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:57 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
I already passed Macro.

Thanks for the knowledge.

BTW, when I'm applying to I apply for Grad Studies, or undergrad studies?
Apply for Undergrad...

Grad studies are for the Masters' and PhD's

Old
10-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:

I'm in the John Molson School of Business at Concordia after I had applied and gotten accepted in business at both Concordia and McGill.

If you ask anyone who knows what they're taking about and isn't biased because they attend McGill, they will tell you Concordia is the better place to be for business. Overall, McGill is the better and more known school, but Concordia is an emerging top university in terms of its business program.

But don't kid yourself either. CEGEP is a joke. If you found yourself working hard to get a 25 CRC, then perhaps Business is not the right field for you right away. Business at Concordia requires A TON of hard work. You really need to buckle down and focus on studies once there. I had a 31.5 CRC at Dawson, and the workload was a real shock to me when starting my first semester at Concordia last fall. Now in my second year, I've adjusted to it, but it's still not easy.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Strazzobosco

I'm not in your field but...
I finished my BsC at Concordia with a 2.7 GPA, and now I'm finishing my PhD in Buffalo.
Basically, what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter WHERE you get your degree, no employer will care. I have never been asked for my GPA, and no one ever cared where I did my BsC (except maybe in Montreal).

Work experience is a great asset when looking for a job, whereas your school or your GPA is soo secondary.
A BA in Psychology will indeed get you nowhere (I know security guards, and hair stylists with it). Poly Sci is useless unless you want to get a PhD and get into teaching. Business... go for it!

I recomend either Business, or Economics.

ABOVE ALL, take Calculus I through IV. Then go for a Master's in the US. Then watch the job offers... You will not regret it.

Last edited by Strazzobosco: 10-16-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Strazzobosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:54 AM
marioroberge

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
But don't kid yourself either. CEGEP is a joke. If you found yourself working hard to get a 25 CRC, then perhaps Business is not the right field for you right away. Business at Concordia requires A TON of hard work. You really need to buckle down and focus on studies once there. I had a 31.5 CRC at Dawson, and the workload was a real shock to me when starting my first semester at Concordia last fall. Now in my second year, I've adjusted to it, but it's still not easy.
I think it depends on the person though. My CRC at Dawson was a 26. Aftermy first year at JMSB my GPA is 3.65. It depends on how well you can realte to the material though ACCO 340 is ridiculously hard. Regarding not getting in to business with a 25 CRC, I don't know about that. JMSB is hungry for students, the required GPA has gone down for JMSB and the Coop, so i'm sure the CRC is not as bad as it was. Years ago it was a 24. Try out for what you want really. Don't just not apply cause you think it's too hard.

marioroberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioroberge View Post
I think it depends on the person though. My CRC at Dawson was a 26. Aftermy first year at JMSB my GPA is 3.65. It depends on how well you can realte to the material though ACCO 340 is ridiculously hard. Regarding not getting in to business with a 25 CRC, I don't know about that. JMSB is hungry for students, the required GPA has gone down for JMSB and the Coop, so i'm sure the CRC is not as bad as it was. Years ago it was a 24. Try out for what you want really. Don't just not apply cause you think it's too hard.
Obviously it depends on the person. Anyone can succeed in JMSB. My intention wasn't to discourage anyone from applying, but rather to emphasize that if you do want to apply, then be ready to work very hard.

If business is what you want to do, there is nowhere better to do it in Montreal, as I said. But do it only if it's really what you want to do, because you'll need to stay motivated to do well. And if you're really looking for something easy, look elsewhere.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Poochie_D

Quote:
JM at Concordia starts looking at students with a 26 R score. I kid you not. Apply anyways though, you never know.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 08:44 PM
PattyRoy

A guy at Vanier got accepted to JMSB with a 21 R Score, I kid you not. He was in my IP class last semester.

Old
10-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
There are jobs for every field.

What ever you do, DO NOT pick a program/field simply because you think it has good career aspirations.
Best advice I didn't have 10 years ago! Follow your heart on this one....not your brain.

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:03 PM
tinyzombies

I concur about political science. It's a humanities degree. Useless unless you are committed to the field and really go the whole way with it with HIGH marks (and have the dynamic personality to go with it). Get ready for some strict scientific approaches as well. It's not all sitting around chatting about George Bush - there's some tedious scientific evaluation of diplomacy that goes into it. They don't teach it straight like they used to. You have to talk with people already in the field.

Most of your work should be talking with a counsellor, studying career guides and looking for future trends (accounting, actuaries, etc.). Depends on what you want. As an older person with no money, I strongly suggest you start early and go for the money while there are still openings in the real estate market and you can optimize your salary by purchasing real estate (opportunities won't be there for long in the city, then what are you gonna do smart guy, live in the boonies?). You could by paying $1,000 a month for something you own instead of handing over rent money for no reason. Also, if you do not start an RRSP in your 20s when you get your job, you are a fool.

Again, depends on what you see yourself doing. If you don't know, then it doesn't really matter anyway. You can get your degree in anything and the job you take will be based on your personality/capabilities/experience and you can work your way up to a middle manager somewhere.

Or, if you are personable and have passion, business is a good way to go because it leaves the aforementioned option open but if you have the intelligence and drive ot handle it, can open up more to you (entrepreneur, higher up position at a firm, etc.).

If you are really intelligent, none of this matters. I'm assuming you are not because you wouldn't be asking....

In which case, I would talk with a counsellor(s) and really dig deep into what you want to do.

Any nimrod can pull a 2.7 average at university. If you can't, that means you are gonna be the help.

If you have any scientific aptitude, that's the way to go btw (but I assume you don't because you wouldn't be on here asking these questions).

Poli Sci or History are good choices if you want to move on to become a lawyer. In Quebec, you need to be bilingual to be a lawyer obviously and you need to be pretty intelligent and on the ball. You also need to have an edge to your personality, be able to handle people, not be the type that gets pushed around, and have a firm grasp on logic (scientific logic - the very first course you should take at university and work hard at; not common sense like the garbage man--who actually make pretty solid cash I think...), and you have to be able to do that in both languages. You have to thrive on conflict, depending on the type of law you go into. Or else, you have to be the type that likes to do research, and hours upon hours of reading and logical thinking within a legal framework (even if you don't entirely know what that is yet).

If that's not you, that's ok too.

Whatever you do, talk to several people who know, and make sure to talk to some professionals to give you an idea of what the career is really like day-to-day. Don't waste your time at school to find that the career you've imagined is really a boring grind.

If you have any mathematic or scientific ability, that is the way to go for the cash, though those careers can be extremely boring (you'll have to ask someone). But you'll make the cash if you can stand it. Big opportunities for accountants in the future as I understand it. But again, you have to want to do it, or you'll fail.

A couple things before you go to university you can work on: reading skills, mneumonic devices, and essay skills. You will not be able to slide on this stuff. There is a LOT of reading and you have to know what reading you are supposed to spend time on and absorb and what reading you are supposed to skim over quickly, otherwise you will never finish it. Also, if you are a slow reader, you need to get a book about reading and find tricks to get faster. It's essential in life to ingest information QUICKLY. Mneumonic devices are shorthand metaphors you create that help you remember huge chunks of information. They can be symbols or acronyms where each letter stands for something, etc. Essay skills are essential. The construct of an essay is VERY precise (and easy too). You can't just write your ideas down with no structure because you'll get scorched by the professor's red pen.

The other pitfall students often fall into is that they think that essays and exams are about their own opinion. Nobody wants your opinion. Essays and exams are about you finding the established opinions of experts and comparing them to each other to provide something new. That becomes your opinion. If your opinion is not grounded on expert opinion, then you don't really HAVE an opinion do you? You're just guessing otherwise.

I've been harsh, but it's all love. Nothing like the buzz of learning and growing. It's the best feeling in the world (well ,almost...). Just put some work into it before you make the plunge and you'll do great.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 10-17-2006 at 01:57 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:42 PM
PattyRoy

What a great post. I love this board more and more. Thank you so much for the knowledge.

I'm perfectly bilingual so that works in my favor.