HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 04:17 PM
aleshemsky83

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Nichols' career as a professional football player is over.
Why do you say that, ACL tears are not spinal injuries or concussions, my cousin tore his ACL and he came all the way back to be national champ in wrestling this year. He gets paid next to nothing, Nichols is getting 50k to go home, rehab, heck maybe he'll even get a job on the side. It's not that bleak

Old
06-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Why do you say that, ACL tears are not spinal injuries or concussions, my cousin tore his ACL and he came all the way back to be national champ in wrestling this year. He gets paid next to nothing, Nichols is getting 50k to go home, rehab, heck maybe he'll even get a job on the side. It's not that bleak
The problem with the CFL is that you only get so many ops to be the starter. (Even if the reasons you don't get it are not your fault.)

If Harris or Crompton show well this year, especially if something happens to Reilly then people leap frog.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
No Reilly is good but we are one calf strain away from having Kerry Joseph as our starter. Thus the panic.
There can't be any way in hell that Kavis would dare start Joseph over Crompton or Harris, is there? Please tell me our coach has the game sense to know that Joseph blatantly can't throw anymore.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
John MacKinnon ‏@rjmackinnon
To summarize, #Eskimos have lost OT Orrin Thompson; WR Tavoy Moore (released); and QB Matt Nichols to catastrophic knee injuries
As bad as this sounds, the biggest loss from that list is Thompson imo. Yes Nichols was going to compete for the starting QB spot, but really, unless Rielly completely bombed it, I think he was always going to get the start.

Thompson was going to be our LT on an O-line which doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.

06-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
There can't be any way in hell that Kavis would dare start Joseph over Crompton or Harris, is there? Please tell me our coach has the game sense to know that Joseph blatantly can't throw anymore.
You're talking about a coach that completely sewered a playoff game by benching a clearly better QB in favour of his buddy Joseph. I would not be surprised by anything Reed does at this point. The fact that Joseph is even in camp speaks volumes.

Old
06-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
Joseph and Reilly are in for the next exhibition game in Vancouver. Sorry to inform.

Old
06-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
As bad as this sounds, the biggest loss from that list is Thompson imo. Yes Nichols was going to compete for the starting QB spot, but really, unless Rielly completely bombed it, I think he was always going to get the start.

Thompson was going to be our LT on an O-line which doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.
This is how normal people think. This org has shown itself to be anything but normal in this regard.

Something tells me the Esks were going to lead with Nichols. Just a hunch but I thought they were going to start with him at 1A and see how it goes. I have little doubt Reilly would be the better QB of the two. But the org wouldn't necessarily see it that way.

I don't know how they see anything, I really don't.

Old
06-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
You're talking about a coach that completely sewered a playoff game by benching a clearly better QB in favour of his buddy Joseph. I would not be surprised by anything Reed does at this point. The fact that Joseph is even in camp speaks volumes.
The only thing that surprises is ever being surprised.

Old
06-18-2013, 07:50 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Wheres Moneyguy guaranteeing 10 wins now?

What a cluster****. Expected #1 QB out again. Big touted return guy out and injured after one freaking play..

jebus, we're cursed in this town.
I never guaranteed 10 wins. I thought 10 wins. I also said they'd do much better than you thought, still do. Maybe your reading comprehension needs some work.

Old
06-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I never guaranteed 10 wins. I thought 10 wins. I also said they'd do much better than you thought, still do. Maybe your reading comprehension needs some work.
This is exactly what you stated. I'll let the reader decide on your present back pedaling. ( lol that you were called out on it and when people asked to bet you then said 9 games..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy
I’m predicting at least 10 wins for us, maybe 11 with a shot at 12. We’ll make the playoffs and will be in contention for second, or better. This team may start a little slow, but will start to gel big time.
Bolded sounds like a guarantee. Contextually you frame it as lowest possible result, i.e. "at least 10 wins, maybe 11, with a shot at 12" What does the phrase "at least" mean in your world?

Maybe read your posts before submit. You're all over the map on this. Whats it now? 8 wins?

You also said Lewis, Lampley, Moore would transform our kick return game. They all look like complete junk. These guys wouldn't go 20yds carrying the water cooler. Lewis can't catch, Lampley was lame. Moore is already cut.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-18-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old
06-19-2013, 02:46 AM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The problem with the CFL is that you only get so many ops to be the starter. (Even if the reasons you don't get it are not your fault.)

If Harris or Crompton show well this year, especially if something happens to Reilly then people leap frog.
It does make it tough, but with Ottawa starting up he probably has a decent chance of signing there if he's released or getting picked in the expansion draft depending on the rules and how many players they can take.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:17 AM
AJGass4

Hi Replacement, et al.

Well here we go again. Another season about to begin and was just wondering what your thoughts were on our team.

I just about puked when I saw the highlight of Nichols going down. How on earth do we manage to have things like this happen all the time? Aside from that, I know there were key guys not playing but yeesh, wasn't overly impressed with our boys on Friday night. Know it's only game one but I'm not seeing to much razzle dazzle or anything new.

I hope we have a better season but not sure what to expect.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Valhallis

So are we stuck with what we got at QB? Any word on if they are planning on bring anyone else in?

Hopefully our D lives up to the hype as it seems like they're going to be on the field a lot.

All said though, I'm ready for this season to start already.

GO ESKS!

Old
06-19-2013, 09:05 AM
MoneyGuy

Rep,

Guarantee
Verb
Provide a formal assurance or promise, esp. that certain conditions shall be fulfilled relating to a product, service, or transaction.

I also said that it would be Moore as our KR. I never foresaw the preseason injuries to Moore and Nichols. Did you? That's why Moore was cut. Those injuries took out our KR and the B from our 1A/B QB tandem. Huge losses.

But I see what you're trying to do.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:07 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallis View Post
So are we stuck with what we got at QB? Any word on if they are planning on bring anyone else in?

Hopefully our D lives up to the hype as it seems like they're going to be on the field a lot.

All said though, I'm ready for this season to start already.

GO ESKS!
Don't expect anyone else. What you see is what you get.

I'm also excited for the new season.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Rep,

Guarantee
Verb
Provide a formal assurance or promise, esp. that certain conditions shall be fulfilled relating to a product, service, or transaction.

I also said that it would be Moore as our KR. I never foresaw the preseason injuries to Moore and Nichols. Did you? That's why Moore was cut. Those injuries took out our KR and the B from our 1A/B QB tandem. Huge losses.

But I see what you're trying to do.
Analogy, with Moneyguy as employee:

Moneyguy: At the very least I'll get 10 reports done this week , maybe 11, possibly 12.

Replacement: Sounds good, get to work.

Coworkers: You won't be able to finish 10 reports, wanna bet?

Moneyguy: I'll bet I get 9 done.

Coworkers: Huh, you said 10..

Moneyguy: Whatever, I'll get some done, what I say doesn't mean what I mean.

Replacement: (week later) Say Moneyguy, you haven't got those 10 reports in that you stated you would have completed. (as a minimum)

Moneyguy: I gave you no guarantee whatsoever...I never specifically used the word guarantee.

Replacement: Shakes head. Mutters. Prepares job posting.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-19-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old
06-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Don't expect anyone else. What you see is what you get.

I'm also excited for the new season.
The only person I know that is.

What specifically are you excited to see? Other than say Moore, Lampley, Lewis none of who will transform our kick returns with the latter 2 looking hopeless in the preseason game. Lampley looks as if he's never run the ball. Seemed to be waiting for a merciful tackle on each play "Oh don't hurt me Mr linebacker, I'll go down"

Old
06-19-2013, 09:51 AM
MoneyGuy

It's a good thing I don't have an employer then.

That's all.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:02 AM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
I try to be optimistic but does anyone feasibly see this team finishing higher than 4th in the west?

Old
06-19-2013, 10:07 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:

What specifically are you excited to see? Other than say Moore, Lampley, Lewis none of who will transform our kick returns with the latter 2 looking hopeless in the preseason game. Lampley looks as if he's never run the ball. Seemed to be waiting for a merciful tackle on each play "Oh don't hurt me Mr linebacker, I'll go down"
Do you get excited about anything? My god man. People like football, they enjoy going out and watching it. Some people just roll with the bad years because they know it's the CFL and anything can happen even in a bad year.

The Cleveland Browns have been a horrible NFL club for the past 20 years yet every year there are 60-70 thousand people that show up to their games.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Moore is injured and was cut yesterday, so...yay us.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:22 AM
eskies4life

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Do you get excited about anything? My god man. People like football, they enjoy going out and watching it. Some people just roll with the bad years because they know it's the CFL and anything can happen even in a bad year.

The Cleveland Browns have been a horrible NFL club for the past 20 years yet every year there are 60-70 thousand people that show up to their games.
Agreed, Replacement needs to lighten up around these boards.

Still very excited for the season, I still think we can't be much worse then last season so hopefully we have a solid season.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:27 AM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Cleveland has nothing else in professional sports worth talking about. Either way the fans there are pretty fed up with management.

Fred stamps is the only notable player on our roster. At this point I know more players on BC and Calgary than I do Edmonton.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Cleveland has nothing else in professional sports worth talking about. Either way the fans there are pretty fed up with management.

Fred stamps is the only notable player on our roster. At this point I know more players on BC and Calgary than I do Edmonton.
By that argument neither does Edmonton.... Oilers are bottom of the barrel in a league that doesn't even get main stream audiences in the states. And for a fact the NBA has a bit better track record than the NHL so I'd say the Cavs > Oilers.

That's looking at it objectively, personally I don't GAF about the NBA.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

Then you are not a big fan of the team if that is the case and don't follow them. You're comments of them being a joke or a circus really come into question.

Closed Thread