HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kris Letang on the block?

Old
06-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
He's not worth 7.0m. Maybe 5.8m or 6.0m. I don't think he's in the Chara, Weber, Suter, and, Doughty category. He's an allstar offensive defenseman but his defensive acumen is above average and his hockey sense in his own zone is average. He's not the guy you put against the other teams top forwards to shut them down like those other guys. His all around game just isn't where it needs to be to be paid like an elite Dman.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:33 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Would give a lot from the Leafs to land him. He'd take us from playoff bubble to a decent bet for the 4-5 seed every year.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

I could certainly see a deal made that centers around Kris Letang for Tyler Myers as main principles.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
The cap is going to go up over the next few years. Everyone *****ing and complaining about next years cap aren't looking ahead. I'll bet my house two to three years from now the cap is close to 75 million.

I don't understand what Pittsburgh is doing, there are a lot more players I'd get rid of to make room rather than trade Letang. Either way some team is going to get a hell of a player..hopefully Nonis can get in there and grab him for the Leafs.

With possible teams in Seattle and QC the cap is surely going to go up.
Salary Cap will not be a problem down the road and as you said it's going to go back up in the next 2-3 years the way things went this year

Martin, Orpik, Kunitz and even Fleury all coming off the books in the next 2 years, if they want Letang to stay it won't be a problem IMO. At the end of the day Shero wants to see what's out there in case they decide to move him, nothing wrong with that

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:44 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
I could certainly see a deal made that centers around Kris Letang for Tyler Myers as main principles.
if the concerns are financial, why would the Pens do that? Even if Letang wants like 7 million, they're only saving 1.5 million on Myers who did absolutely nothing this year.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Beaudangles19

i think if he gets traded he goes to MTL cus thats where he was born. patches+ is what it would take

Beaudangles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

I could see Oilers offering up #7 + Klefbom/Petry + 2nd rounder for Letang

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
He's not worth 7.0m. Maybe 5.8m or 6.0m. I don't think he's in the Chara, Weber, Suter, and, Doughty category. He's an allstar offensive defenseman but his defensive acumen is above average and his hockey sense in his own zone is average. He's not the guy you put against the other teams top forwards to shut them down like those other guys. His all around game just isn't where it needs to be to be paid like an elite Dman.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...-contract.html

The Flyers just signed 35 year old defenseman who's significantly worse in offense, defense, physicality, and playoff experience for 5.25 mil per. How you figure Letang is only worth "maybe 5.8 or 6.0m" given that standard is beyond me.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Salary Cap will not be a problem down the road and as you said it's going to go back up in the next 2-3 years the way things went this year

Martin, Orpik, Kunitz and even Fleury all coming off the books in the next 2 years, if they want Letang to stay it won't be a problem IMO. At the end of the day Shero wants to see what's out there in case they decide to move him, nothing wrong with that
I'm not a Pens fan at all but I hear this cap armegeddon talk in the media and on here all the time and yes it's going down dramatically next season but after that it will go back up so if you have to be tight up against the cap for one year isn't the end of the world. Like I said IMO guys like Kennedy and Fleury, Orpik etc..can be moved to make room for Letang. I just think Shero is making a big mistake here. How bad is it when you're talking to the agent for Dupuis and not talking with Letang's...goes to show you where Shero's head is at..Letang is a goner.

Stats01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I'm not a Pens fan at all but I hear this cap armegeddon talk in the media and on here all the time and yes it's going down dramatically next season but after that it will go back up so if you have to be tight up against the cap for one year isn't the end of the world. Like I said IMO guys like Kennedy and Fleury, Orpik etc..can be moved to make room for Letang. I just think Shero is making a big mistake here. How bad is it when you're talking to the agent for Dupuis and not talking with Letang's...goes to show you where Shero's head is at..Letang is a goner.
It goes to show nothing.

Letang's agent is based in Boston and Shero's heading there for the GM meetings. People are inferring too much from inconsequential travel decisions.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
It goes to show nothing.

Letang's agent is based in Boston and Shero's heading there for the GM meetings. People are inferring too much from inconsequential travel decisions.
To me it shows that Shero is more interested in getting a deal done for Dupuis and others over getting a deal done for Letang.

Stats01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Curufinwe

Letang is going to get at least $7m somewhere, especially if he has another great season in terms of point scoring.

Imagine if he maintains the pace he set this year over a full season and scores 89 points? That might get him $8 million a season.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:31 AM
sd1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Neal Time View Post
If he is traded:

Orpik - Martin
Despres - UFA/Trade
Niskanen - Bortuzzo/Engelland/Dumoulin

Not TOO bad.
That's actually quite horrible... Orpik and Martin making up the top pairing may be the worst top 2 in the NHL

sd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1976 View Post
That's actually quite horrible... Orpik and Martin making up the top pairing may be the worst top 2 in the NHL
Orpik and Martin played great as a defense pair this past season.

I don't like one or two of Despres, Niskanen, Bortuzzo, Engelland, Dumoulin being in the top 4 though. Shero must get a solid top 4 D as part of the package for Letang.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:47 AM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
As an UFA he can get well over 7 million per. Gonchar is almost 40 years old and got 5 million per. Streit just got 5.25 million per. Letang is in his prime and every team would make a run at him.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1976 View Post
Uh, they were the Pens best pair this season and were given the toughest assignments.

They were two of the Pens best players in the playoffs as well.

There would obviously be problems minus Letang in the top four, but the Orpik-Martin pairing is the least of the Pens concerns.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:51 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudangles13 View Post
i think if he gets traded he goes to MTL cus thats where he was born. patches+ is what it would take
no, Letang is the opposite of what Mtl need

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:57 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
If you guys don't trust Rossi, here's the TSN crew on the subject:

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/949678/clip/358
It's all just educated guessing. For what he does, Letang has been working on a discount (3.5M on his second deal where guys like Karlsson are getting 6.5M). Then, guys like Gonchar and Streit signing in the 5M range. One would think that he wants to get paid, with 7M per being a starting point. One also would think that he'll want the same full NMC that the top defensive UFA's are getting.

One would think that Shero might go to 7M tops but that a full NMC, which would mean 25M, maybe more, in full NMC player deals is something that he and ownership might not accept, at least not without exploring his other options.

If one looks at it objectively and had to bet the farm on one outcome, then Letang gets traded.

Doesn't mean Pens might not step up or that Letang really might settle for less, but the odds are against BOTH happening, and that's probably what it will take.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:00 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
no, Letang is the opposite of what Mtl need
But he's French!!

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:06 AM
SpezDispenser

Zibanejad + 17th overall + Ceci + Puempel?

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:07 AM
pspot

Wings should get him

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:12 AM
junyab

I think Shera has a choice...pay Letang or 2 wingers for Malkin/Crosby to play with.

If it cost the same money I think I'd rather spend it on Dupuis and Kunitz.

OR, they buy out Martin, trade Niskanen or Orpik, and bring up Pouliott and/or Mataa.

junyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:13 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
pits is gonna shop him around and if they dont get anything significant in return theyll just end up keeping him, what are you guys arguing about? hes obviously going to get paid 7mil because he has the numbers to back him up, regardless of whether or not you think he deserves it
Here's one more thing though: Cap is going down. Letang gets paid 3.5M next year. A team could absorb his hit increase when the cap goes up for 2014-2015 AND have him for a bargain price next season.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:16 AM
WildFinn
Unity | We Are One

Very good move from the Penguins if true!

He is at the height of his trade value, they dont have to overpay him and get some assets.

WildFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Beaudangles19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Zibanejad + 17th overall + Ceci + Puempel?
yes from pens fan

Beaudangles19 is offline   Reply With Quote