HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 12.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Nichuskin is North American and he's the best prospect of this year's draft.
I respect your opinion, but based on what?

Nichushkin has become overated around HF.

As for this quote stuff, I'd bet Millions probably misheard Knight. I would imagine Knight said Kristo could surprise ''next year'' or ''next season'' and Millions heard ''next Sunday''.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I personally don't see in what way Nichushkin is better than MacKinnon. IMO, Nichushkin has a tunnel vision and the way he plays is most of time by beating his opponents on the outside with his speed and cutting through the net. That won't work everytime in the NHL. As for MacKinnon, he as much a powerful skater as Nichushkin but he is unpredictable in his style and decision making. Outside of the size difference, even if Nichushkin was to be a NA, I would still say that he's behind MacKinnon.
MacKinnon tends to get real predictable and stop using his teammates when things don't go his way. Playmaking doesn't come natural to him.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Tim Wallach

Two things:

1. I think the Knight tweet most likely references the fact that he might see Kristo in Newark. ie. Kristo might show up to catch-up is all. I highly doubt Knight knows anything about impending trades and if he did, would know better than to tweet it.

2. To answer the last question, no, a 1st rounder is not high for Kristo. And here's why: Why on earth would Bergevin consider anything lower? He has a 23-year-old, near ready offensive prospect in the wings. Anything below a 1st rounder is a long-term crapshoot. So while Kristo may be borderline on whether he's worth trading a 1st for, he definitely isn't worth trading for less than that from Montreal's standpoint. So that's all that matters. The price is his worth.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikiki Bousquet View Post
In response to what we were talking about in the last thread, here's the video I think some were referring to when speaking about MacKinnon making Jones look like a pylon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G456CsfFow

Do you guys really think Kristo might fetch us a 1st rounder ? Seems high, no ?
That video is hardly making someone "look like a pylon" or Zdeno Chara is a full time pylon as teams do that to him all the time, biggest difference is Rask doesn't give up bad goals like the one Carruth gave up.

Wether he does or doesn't is irrelevant, I wouldn't trade him for less than the #25 pick. It's not about what he is worth, it's about what it would take for me as a GM to move him right now. A guy knocking on the door to the NHL is worth more than a kid 3-4 years away.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 19h
Knight adds that Danny Kristo his UND teammate could surprise next Sunday in Newark. #2013NHLDraft

Considering the hashtag and the way he worded that, Millions must have misheard Knight or he really thinks Kristo is draft eligible.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

It's no secret that Calgary is restless and have already started pimping their high picks... If Kristo would ever move at the draft, history would suggest it would be Kristo + Mtl pick for Clg higher pick (not Kristo only for Clg pick).

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 06-19-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old
06-19-2013, 10:25 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

As for this quote stuff, I'd bet Millions probably misheard Knight. I would imagine Knight said Kristo could surprise ''next year'' or ''next season'' and Millions heard ''next Sunday''.
Other way around IMO, he doesn't get enough credit. If he was North American you'd be drowning under the "next Rick Nash!!!" comparisons and I think he would definitely challenge for #1.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I personally don't see in what way Nichushkin is better than MacKinnon. IMO, Nichushkin has a tunnel vision and the way he plays is most of time by beating his opponents on the outside with his speed and cutting through the net. That won't work everytime in the NHL. As for MacKinnon, he as much a powerful skater as Nichushkin but he is unpredictable in his style and decision making. Outside of the size difference, even if Nichushkin was to be a NA, I would still say that he's behind MacKinnon.
Based on size, speed and his underrated vision....the guy is not SOLELY based on beating the opponents on the outside.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Based on the fact that the Russian factor does exist and that despite all of that, he is penciled a top 5 prospect. Remove that factor, and the combination of size, speed and talent makes him a better prospect, in my opinion. NOT by a thousand miles here. We are not talking about Nichuskin and the others....but my opinion is that if his name is Vincent Lecavalier or Rick Nash....he is seen as a potential #1 indeed. I personnally would have him as THE best prospect but again, the race is pretty tight.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

But then Millions said next Sunday in Jersey.....

Old
06-19-2013, 10:36 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikiki Bousquet View Post
In response to what we were talking about in the last thread, here's the video I think some were referring to when speaking about MacKinnon making Jones look like a pylon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G456CsfFow

Do you guys really think Kristo might fetch us a 1st rounder ? Seems high, no ?

That was only the one he scored on but MacKinnon pulled a few like that on Jones and the Winter Hawk goalie had to make the saves.

Jones is going to be a good dman but I wouldn't take him 1st overall. Mackinnon is 1st for me and it's a toss up between Jones & Drouin and I include Jones in the top three out of deference to all the scouts who say he is top 3. I would seriously take Drouin in 2nd.

I don't know but I think Jones will not be an elite d-man. An excellent one but not an elite one.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:40 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
MacKinnon tends to get real predictable and stop using his teammates when things don't go his way. Playmaking doesn't come natural to him.
Sounds a lot like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Tavares etc. I dunno, sometimes things don't go your way and in the case of star players who put a lot of weight on themselves I find this tends to be a recurring case. They're used to dominating possession and creating shots for themselves and others, psychologically speaking it doesn't seem like something out of the ordinary to me. Not that you have an unreasonable critique, I just don't see it as a peculiar problem.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Calgary's picks are 6-22-28. No 2nd Round. 67...

To get from 25 to 22, based on historical precedent, the Habs could get their using their 55... I would believe Kristo's worth much more than a 55?

Old
06-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Sounds a lot like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Tavares etc. I dunno, sometimes things don't go your way and in the case of star players who put a lot of weight on themselves I find this tends to be a recurring case. They're used to dominating possession and creating shots for themselves and others, psychologically speaking it doesn't seem like something out of the ordinary to me. Not that you have an unreasonable critique, I just don't see it as a peculiar problem.
I agree on Ovechkin, not really on Tavares Crosby and Malkin, even if they are not scoring they still see the whole ice and can set up a teammate with a ridiculous pass. ++Vision and hockey sense, Drouin has that. MacKinnon is average to slightly above average at both, his game in the pros will be similar to Ovechkin(recently) though obviously with a whole lot les size(5'11" 185lbs vs 6'3" 235lbs).

Old
06-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
That was only the one he scored on but MacKinnon pulled a few like that on Jones and the Winter Hawk goalie had to make the saves.

Jones is going to be a good dman but I wouldn't take him 1st overall. Mackinnon is 1st for me and it's a toss up between Jones & Drouin and I include Jones in the top three out of deference to all the scouts who say he is top 3. I would seriously take Drouin in 2nd.

I don't know but I think Jones will not be an elite d-man. An excellent one but not an elite one.
Why would Jones not be an elite d-man? His tools are as good as any d-man in the draft in recent memory, plus he has good bloodlines in that his father played in the NBA, so the pro lifestyle won't be a big shock to him. He is like a 6'4" and more polished version of Subban at 18.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post

To get from 25 to 22, based on historical precedent, the Habs could get their using their 55... I would believe Kristo's worth much more than a 55?
Absolutely worth more than 55. He showed good things at the WC. If you trade Kristo, it has to be for a late first round pick.

Last edited by Fozz: 06-19-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old
06-19-2013, 11:02 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post

We are talking about Feaster here...If he really likes Kristo, I could see him trading #22 straight up for him. To be honest, it might not even turn out to be that horrible of a deal for Calgary.

I think Kristo for #22 is actually pretty even considering that I think Kristo could very well be better and is lower risk since he has already improved for 4 or 5 years than anyone else we could get at 22.

Ultimately I think I would do it since I think MB has decided that we have to build the team a different way, and altough Kristo has tons of skill and speed, he does not have as much grit as MB may desire.

I would be drooling if we had 22, 25, 34, 36, 55, 71, 86. But would definitely being keeping my eye on Kristo in Calgary since I think he could be good.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:09 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Quote:
I agree on Ovechkin, not really on Tavares Crosby and Malkin, even if they are not scoring they still see the whole ice and can set up a teammate with a ridiculous pass. ++Vision and hockey sense, Drouin has that. MacKinnon is average to slightly above average at both, his game in the pros will be similar to Ovechkin(recently) though obviously with a whole lot les size(5'11" 185lbs vs 6'3" 235lbs).
I would disagree. Malkin and Crosby do have great vision, but even they (especially Malkin) are prone to tunnel vision when the going gets tough. I watch more than half of Pittsburgh's games every year on top of almost every playoff game, I've seen this happen enough to say it with conviction, forcing plays that aren't there and generally trying to do it themselves to ultimately little avail.

And I also disagree with MacKinnon's vision, I think it's very good if not at Drouin's level. He can see the ice very well and has terrific IQ to go with it; only problem is that Drouin makes pretty much everyone look pedestrian in the vision department.

Edit: On a side note, I noticed you hammering MacKinnon for the WJC in the last thread, claiming he pouted (even if there was no indication of such) and underperforming in what was essentially a bad situation for him. Care to explain?

Last edited by BLASPHEMOUS: 06-19-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old
06-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

It could also be a deal that is contingent upon whether say, Furcale isn't available at #22 and if Furcale is available then a slightly different deal because Calgary would be picking him at #22. But, with Feaster, who knows? I'd rather have one of the Flame's d prospects, they seem better at drafting d-men and we're better at drafting guys like Kristo.

I've felt for a while that Kristo wasn't in the long-term plans of Bergevin, besides Gallagher took Kristo's possible spot.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Tyson

Quote:

Nichushkin is the complete package. Size, speed, skill and power.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:16 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
This is ridiculous.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:18 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
At #25 - Erne, Zykov, Gauthier, Rychel, Morin, Mantha

At #34 or #36 - Poirier, de la Rose, McCarron (my sleeper), McCoshen, Carrier

At #55 - Comrie, Jarry, Bailey, Baptiste, Tambellini

Old
06-19-2013, 11:25 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
We are talking about Feaster here...If he really likes Kristo, I could see him trading #22 straight up for him. To be honest, it might not even turn out to be that horrible of a deal for Calgary.

I think Kristo for #22 is actually pretty even considering that I think Kristo could very well be better and is lower risk since he has already improved for 4 or 5 years than anyone else we could get at 22.

Ultimately I think I would do it since I think MB has decided that we have to build the team a different way, and altough Kristo has tons of skill and speed, he does not have as much grit as MB may desire.

I would be drooling if we had 22, 25, 34, 36, 55, 71, 86. But would definitely being keeping my eye on Kristo in Calgary since I think he could be good.
Unless Feaster went nuts and is offering the 22nd & 28thd, I don't see MB trading Kristo.

What right winger do we have in our pool that is so close to stepping in? Colberg. That's it and he's two. three years away. With Gallagher & an injury-prone, aging Gionta, you think he's going to unload Kristo for a draft pick?

The Cup is given to the team that wins the last game of the year, not the one that has the most interesting draft picks.

Last edited by onice: 06-19-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old
06-19-2013, 11:26 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
It could also be a deal that is contingent upon whether say, Furcale isn't available at #22 and if Furcale is available then a slightly different deal because Calgary would be picking him at #22. But, with Feaster, who knows? I'd rather have one of the Flame's d prospects, they seem better at drafting d-men and we're better at drafting guys like Kristo.

I've felt for a while that Kristo wasn't in the long-term plans of Bergevin, besides Gallagher took Kristo's possible spot.
Pure speculation here, but if Calgary did keep #22 and take Fucale, I wonder if Feaster would bite on an offer by MB of Kristo + Habs 86th for Calgary's 28th and 67th? Hmmm...opens up some interesting possibilities for Timmins with those 2 picks.

Edit: That would give Timmins #25, #28, #34, #36, #55, #67 and #71 in an exceptionally deep draft. Timmins should be able to really clean up with those picks.

Last edited by FisherKing: 06-19-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old
06-19-2013, 11:29 AM
SlimDiggity
Rookie User

My question would be, who is there at 22 that we REALLY want who wouldn't be there at 25? Two is always better than one, but to give up a guy who is close to NHL ready for a pick that will be 4 - 5 years away means that player must be extremely coveted by management. I can't say I can readily identify that player.

Closed Thread