HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Workout Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 07:49 PM
NewAgeOutlaw
Belie Dat!

vCash: 500
I've been doing a lot of time on a stationary bike as of late. Doing it now to drop 40 lbs or so to reach ideal playing weight by lacrosse season in February. Not gonna do too much weight training because I really don't need to add bulk at all.

Old
06-18-2013, 07:59 PM
66-29-33

Went to doctors yesterday and got my BMI.

5 foot 10, 210 lbls BMI of 30 so i fit the Obese catagory. When i hit 202 i'll be BMI of 29 in the "overweight" catagory.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...risk-adult-bmi

Old
06-18-2013, 08:04 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Sub 10% body fat.. achieved..
Good job, what's your goal?

Old
06-18-2013, 08:07 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
Haha, yes, but which one from the internet?
body fat testing gadget at my gym + a fitness forum to get their opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Good job, what's your goal?
thanks man. looking to hit 8% by mid/late July

my long term goal is to compete in a triathalon. good at the biking/running stuff so far, but i rarely swim so i need to get on that!

Old
06-18-2013, 08:07 PM
NewAgeOutlaw
Belie Dat!

Quote:
Went to doctors yesterday and got my BMI.

5 foot 10, 210 lbls BMI of 30 so i fit the Obese catagory. When i hit 202 i'll be BMI of 29 in the "overweight" catagory.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...risk-adult-bmi
You can't always put a lot of stock in bmi. I, for one, have really wide shoulders and weigh a great deal more than I appear, so my bmi was high even when I was in game shape for sports. BMI doesn't account for body type too well.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:59 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngellandHitSomebody View Post
I've been doing a lot of time on a stationary bike as of late. Doing it now to drop 40 lbs or so to reach ideal playing weight by lacrosse season in February. Not gonna do too much weight training because I really don't need to add bulk at all.
With what diet? How many hours a week and how long to reach goal? My lady needs to drop weight...not 40 but if you can drop 40 on a bike that's awesome and she'd love that

Old
06-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Beauner

vCash: 50
Anyone have good exercises to do with dumbbells? I don't have time for a gym membership and I only have dumbbells and a bench at home. As well as some elastic bands for resistance. Right now I'm just doing the basics....bench press, curls, squats, etc. I need to bulk up to play hockey at a high level. I'm only about 5'7 so I need to get strong. I've only been lifting for about a month 5 times a week and my arms are already bulking up.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:48 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauner View Post
Anyone have good exercises to do with dumbbells? I don't have time for a gym membership and I only have dumbbells and a bench at home. As well as some elastic bands for resistance. Right now I'm just doing the basics....bench press, curls, squats, etc. I need to bulk up to play hockey at a high level. I'm only about 5'7 so I need to get strong. I've only been lifting for about a month 5 times a week and my arms are already bulking up.
http://scoobysworkshop.com/

This is about the best you can get online. Scooby is pretty well known and gives you ideas for free, just follow the site and visit the forums.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:55 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Here's one to try.

While standing, get in the position to do arm curls, but when you are up and squeezing your bicep when you are doing your curls, rotate and do a shoulder press as well, slow fluid motions and then rotate back and bring your arms down like you were finishing that bicep curl.

That works your biceps and shoulders in 1 workout. You can do rows with the dumb bell as well, keep your back straight of course. You can also do squats with the dumb bells held to your chest. There are a lot of things you can do, the gym is great for access to various machines, but a set of dumb bells and a bench is more than enough to get a lot of stuff done. For legs, it might be a little difficult.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:20 AM
ZapRowsdower13
Ticklish Tummy Tumx2

Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
Quote:
Do lunges to work your legs with the dumbbells. If you have the room walk forward and then go backwards. Otherwise just do foward lunges and then do ones where you step back.

Also for legs put one of foot, toe down, on the bench and dip down with the other leg. To work your core/abs hold the weight with your feet (depending on how heavy they are) and hold the weight out while keeping your stomach tight. Use the bench for this too as your butts on the end of the bench, hold the sides for balance.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Syrinx
RIP MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngellandHitSomebody View Post
You can't always put a lot of stock in bmi. I, for one, have really wide shoulders and weigh a great deal more than I appear, so my bmi was high even when I was in game shape for sports. BMI doesn't account for body type too well.
Same here. I was obese by this measure six months ago and people would tell me I was ridiculous for wanting to lose weight. Discrediting this measure is gaining steam.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Syrinx
RIP MW

I'm tired of belly fat. I'm 48 and have been working my ass off in the gym for 6 months and I can't get rid of the last 10 pounds or the spare tire (it's much smaller than it used to be but is still there).

I've decided that after the July 4th vacation, I'm going on a straight raw/vegan diet for 30 days. I'll do smoothies (with beans for protein), hummus, fruit and veggies. I'm probably going to go to core work with some cardio 3-4 times a week.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:38 AM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post
I'm tired of belly fat. I'm 48 and have been working my ass off in the gym for 6 months and I can't get rid of the last 10 pounds or the spare tire (it's much smaller than it used to be but is still there).

I've decided that after the July 4th vacation, I'm going on a straight raw/vegan diet for 30 days. I'll do smoothies (with beans for protein), hummus, fruit and veggies. I'm probably going to go to core work with some cardio 3-4 times a week.
I'd do a combo of biking, running, and lifting (45-60min each session)... 4-5 days a week while keeping the protein high (150-200g+ per day) and carbs low. Should see that weight come off in no time.

Also, you may want to check out some supplements if you want to rev up your metabolism even further - i.e. tribulus, green tea extract, guarana

Old
06-19-2013, 09:34 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post

Going vegan is great, but make sure that you get a balanced diet. When I say "balanced", I am referring to your macro nutrients (protein/fats/carbs). In summary, make sure you are getting enough healthy fats (flax oil, coconut, chia seeds, almonds, hemp seeds, etc.).

Your main strategy should be to CONSISTENTLY consume slighty less calories each day. You should consider looking into intermittent fasting (~8 hours of eating followed by ~16 hours of fasting every day). There are lots of benefits to intermittent fasting (IF), I'll post links later, but a big one I noticed is that I eat less by default and I don't feel hungry at all. I essentially eat from 1 pm through 9 pm and if I happen to extend that window by an extra hour or two it's really not that big of a deal. I lift 4 days/week and do near race-level mountain biking 4 x week.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Beauner

vCash: 50
Quote:
http://scoobysworkshop.com/

This is about the best you can get online. Scooby is pretty well known and gives you ideas for free, just follow the site and visit the forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Here's one to try.

While standing, get in the position to do arm curls, but when you are up and squeezing your bicep when you are doing your curls, rotate and do a shoulder press as well, slow fluid motions and then rotate back and bring your arms down like you were finishing that bicep curl.

That works your biceps and shoulders in 1 workout. You can do rows with the dumb bell as well, keep your back straight of course. You can also do squats with the dumb bells held to your chest. There are a lot of things you can do, the gym is great for access to various machines, but a set of dumb bells and a bench is more than enough to get a lot of stuff done. For legs, it might be a little difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapRowsdower13 View Post
Do lunges to work your legs with the dumbbells. If you have the room walk forward and then go backwards. Otherwise just do foward lunges and then do ones where you step back.

Also for legs put one of foot, toe down, on the bench and dip down with the other leg. To work your core/abs hold the weight with your feet (depending on how heavy they are) and hold the weight out while keeping your stomach tight. Use the bench for this too as your butts on the end of the bench, hold the sides for balance.
Good stuff guys, thanks a lot. Will definitely be trying this soon.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:45 AM
johnniewalker

Quote:
I take 2 different types of Iron Pills, aswell as Vitamins, aswell as 1 Glucosamine pill every day, havn't had pop in over a month, ate **** this week but it was my dads birthday and we always go to dinner and movie. Starting tomorrow i'll be eating clean for 1 month no matter what. I feel a ZILLION times better, and when i always hated mornings because i felt like **** and was dieing? i feel completly awake when at work now every single day and the workouts are starting to get a little easier (compared to day 1 that is). I don't get headaches anymore either, which is the best part of this because i used to ALWAYS get headaches or migranes and could not function.
Do you have a significant iron deficiency? Iron can be very bad for you if you are taking in more than you need. I just wanted to call that out.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:35 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Let's get a 2nd thread up

Closed Thread