HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part VI: Buyout Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 11:47 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
We will see how many players want to play for the Rangers with this kind of treatment.
None of our other mistakes fazed them. The benjamins speak loudly.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Henrik Lundqvist would def disagree with this. If he was a ppg player, the Rangers are a favorite lol
Richards a PPG player? That would give us the best center depth in the league. I just don't think it will happen. However, with a new coach, anything is possible

Old
06-19-2013, 11:49 AM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
I just hope he doesn't get injured.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass art by Brassard View Post
Richards a PPG player? That would give us the best center depth in the league. I just don't think it will happen. However, with a new coach, anything is possible
I dont care if we buy him out. I've already stated this, but to think he cant rebound at all like some people think, is just wrong IMO. and Boom Boom said even if Richards returned to a PPG player the long term risk is too much of a risk not to buy him out ,and I said IF he returned to a PPG player, the Rangers would be favorites with the other top teams.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Richards was far past a poor-decision per game.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:58 AM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Jun 19, 2013 11:42a

Sure sounds like Craig MacTavish has a couple of deals done and is just waiting for the Stanley Cup to end so he can announce them.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/sunterryjones/sta...78879008223233
Well, that's interesting.

DZ for Yakupov/Eberle?

06-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I really thought that we'd seen the last of Richards after he was benched in the playoffs.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You're absolutely insane if you don't think management is considering the buyout. Richards has already leaked the possibility publicly. You think that was accidental? How often do you hear a signed player comment on where he might like to play next year if he is amnestied?

Hasn't produced. Albatross contract. Has regressed tremendously. Even if he needs minor surgery next summer, we're ****ed.

Helen Keller would be able to see the writing on the wall. It's that obvious.
Maybe it's in Braille and management can't read it?

Old
06-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post

DZ for Yakupov/Eberle?
Would be nice, wouldn't it? I'm still waiting for our star in-his-early-20's forward. Stepan is good, but not a a superstar.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I really thought that we'd seen the last of Richards after he was benched in the playoffs.
and that could still be the case, especially if the Rangers need the cap space (Hank extension, long term deals for Step/mcd etc), but I dont think its a CERTAINTY.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:

DZ for Yakupov/Eberle?
One can dream.

Too bad we'll end up with Michael Ryder or Guillame Letsundress (I don't actually know how to spell it).

Old
06-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Josh3217

I think with how AV uses his forwards NYR should try to get a 3rd line center who is solid on faceoffs. If AV wants his 3rd and 4th line centers taking the defensive draws then that should be a need. Like someone said NYR got killed on the draws against BOS. Look at guys like Goc, Gordon, Stoll, Smith, Sobotka, Vermette. Obviously some of these guys are unrealistic but you get the idea. Will Sather bring in a guy who is great on draws? Vinny L if he gets bought out?

Old
06-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Rangers Fail
Free James Sheppard

This team is so stupid if they don't buy out Beaver. You want a Heatley/Havlat situation? Yeah I'm sure the Wild/Sharks are thrilled that there's dead weight they can't buy out. This is the Rangers. With our luck, Beaver gets hurt in the last game of the season, needs months to heal, and the Rangers are SCREWED forever, with a severely overpriced 3C eating up a lot of cap space.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
One can dream.

Too bad we'll end up with Michael Ryder or Guillame Letsundress (I don't actually know how to spell it).
I think that's about right

Old
06-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Chief

The risk of having Richards play the upcoming season is overblown.

There isn't a rash of players suffering career-ending injuries in any given season. If the Rangers need the cap space for 2013-14, then it could make sense to buy-out Richards. If not, he might be better than what's available in FA or trades and the team could revisit his buyout next summer.

I would expect Richards to perform better. There were plenty of players who had crap seasons, like Ryan Clowe, in the shortened season. If Richards plays better, it's possible that he could raise his trade value. There have been various trades with teams who have trouble meeting the salary cap floor who have acquired players with lousy contracts. So that's an avenue that can be explored.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:16 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
no its not, because they can buy him out next year as well.. Now the question is what would the Rangers do if Richards returns to form this year going into next off season? That becomes a hockey decision. If you don't need the space, you can't buy him out on the VERY SLIM OFF CHANCE he gets innjured enough he cant be bought out. Also, who knows what he can do with a more offensive minded coach.
Slim chance? Ok. The Rangers are not going to keep Richards past next season, no matter how well he does. When he retires early, and he will, the Rangers will incur a large penalty due to cap recapture.

Therefore, the only options are to either buy him out this summer, or next summer. If they wait until next summer, they run the risk of him getting injured and not being able to buy him out. So there really is no choice.

There's no chance of him redeeming himself enough that they'll decide to keep him past next season. And whatever benefit he might provide to this team next year isn't worth the risk of him getting hurt.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:17 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
The only one that I see that can maybe get close/in the NHL is Bourque. I don't know what happened to Grachev.
Don't sleep on Fogarty.

My opinion of him is that we have a solid 4th line center with size and and decent offensive capabilities.

I expect to see better production from him at ND this winter.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Dactyl
T Glass Fan Club

Quote:

DZ for Yakupov/Eberle?
imagnine

hagelin-brass-nash
kreider-stepan-eberle/yaks
clowe/zucc-richards/lindberg-callahan
asham/pyatt-boyle-dorsett

staal-girardi
mcd-stralman
moore-mcilrath

hank
biron

Old
06-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Rangers Fail
Free James Sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post

There isn't a rash of players suffering career-ending injuries in any given season. If the Rangers need the cap space for 2013-14, then it could make sense to buy-out Richards. If not, he might be better than what's available in FA or trades and the team could revisit his buyout next summer.

I would expect Richards to perform better. There were plenty of players who had crap seasons, like Ryan Clowe, in the shortened season. If Richards plays better, it's possible that he could raise his trade value. There have been various trades with teams who have trouble meeting the salary cap floor who have acquired players with lousy contracts. So that's an avenue that can be explored.
You don't need a career ending injury like Chris Pronger. If Richards needs surgery like Hagelin or Callahan this year, he can't be bought out and we are ****ed.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:19 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post

There isn't a rash of players suffering career-ending injuries in any given season.
It doesn't need to be career-ending. He just needs to be injured during the buyout period.

If we wanted to buy out Hagelin, Callahan or MDZ, could we? They all just had surgery and I'm sure they are still recovering.

It isn't worth the risk.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Slim chance? Ok. The Rangers are not going to keep Richards past next season, no matter how well he does. When he retires early, and he will, the Rangers will incur a large penalty due to cap recapture.

Therefore, the only options are to either buy him out this summer, or next summer. If they wait until next summer, they run the risk of him getting injured and not being able to buy him out. So there really is no choice.

There's no chance of him redeeming himself enough that they'll decide to keep him past next season. And whatever benefit he might provide to this team next year isn't worth the risk of him getting hurt.
Yes, he most likely will be bought out next season, but now you have a guy who is playing for a contract (dont we know how players usually tend to perform in contract years? which is technically what this is).. WIll the Rangers take the risk to maybe reap the reward? who knows.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

I think it's a Joe Nieuwendyk-type situation. Do you choose the Cup win/deep playoff run or the future stars? Because what if Brad plays like the 1C he's paid to be and gets injured on the play that leads to the Stanley Cup winning goal?

Old
06-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
imagnine

hagelin-brass-nash
kreider-stepan-eberle/yaks
clowe/zucc-richards/lindberg-callahan
asham/pyatt-boyle-dorsett

staal-girardi
mcd-stralman
moore-mcilrath

hank
biron
Having both Clowe and Richards is not possible cap-wise.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Dactyl
T Glass Fan Club

Quote:
Having both Clowe and Richards is not possible cap-wise.
i chose clowe

Old
06-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
i chose clowe
Well, me too. That's not the problem. The problem is our GM who might not buy him out. We cannot afford to have a 6 m/y center on our 4th line. This has to be our year.

Buy out Richards
Re-Sign Clowe, McDonagh, Hagelin, Stepan and Zuccarello
Trade Del Zotto for a top6 LW (so we can move Nash to the RW)

Promote Lindberg to our 3rd line

Closed Thread