HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Aggressive teams find ways to keep their players. Only team I can think of that shed a bunch of salary were they Hawks.
Often when they keep their players they let another go or have a weak spot on their team with no cap room to fix it. Phillie it was goaltending and last yaer it was weak skill on defense. NYR it was a lack of depth, Pittsburgh will get to that point if they keep Letang Dupuis and Fleury, they'll have to weakewn their depth and go younger/weaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It sounds like he's about to go for some pretty serious shoulder surgery too...

I don't know, I think I like the idea of Horton more than I like Horton the player, if that makes any sense. The injuries are a big question mark and I never found him much of a tough player when Lucic and Chara weren't there to stand behind him. I wouldn't be upset if we got him but I would be leery of paying too much for him. He could be a bodycheck away from a breakdown.
He's a guy I'm really on the fence on, was an enigma in Florida and at times in Boston but the fact that he has stepped up at playoff time is encouraging. A big factor is, how much will Clarkson Bickell and Clowe cost, plus are guys like Laich or Malone on the block? We only see 50% of the picture, GM's know who is on the block and what players are looking for what(term and money).

Old
06-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Pascal Dupuis's agent Allan Walsh and Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero have started discussing a new contract.
Dupuis has re-signed with the Penguins twice since he joined the team via a trade in February 2008 and both times he agreed to a two-year deal. The 34-year-old winger would like a contract that he can retire on, but getting a long-term contract from GM Ray Shero may be tough. The Penguins haven't given a four-year deal to a player in his 30s since Shero received the job in May 2006. Dupuis can become an unrestricted free agent on July 5 if something isn't worked out with Pittsburgh.

Wonder what he is asking for? I could see him as a fit for the Habs with a decent pricetag, but not 4+ mil.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Prospector

Pascal Dupuis strikes me as someone that will struggle outside the pens system and without the offensive support he had (Crosby et co). He should resign with pittsburgh.
I would not pursue him considering what he will command on the market coming off a career year at 34 years old.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

I actually think Dupuis will score at a first line pace next year then fall off entirely like Cole.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I don't care what anyone says about his concussion issues, but Habs should pick up Horton. They need talent in the top 6. Horton has size, but he's also a good hockey player. He steps up in big games.
I'm still doing nightmares from game 5 & 7 against the Habs.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
Pascal Dupuis strikes me as someone that will struggle outside the pens system and without the offensive support he had (Crosby et co). He should resign with pittsburgh.
I would not pursue him considering what he will command on the market coming off a career year at 34 years old.
It's not that black and white. If they can only offer him 2 years and 1.5 mil/year then he has to leave.

He brings a lot of intangibles, plus is a strong 2 way player. Even at 40-45 points he's worth 3-3.5 mil.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 38m As the Flyers try to get Bernier from LA (upon which Bryzgalov will be bought out #drama), contract talks with Claude Giroux remain ongoing.

The "Bryzgalov not getting bought out" thing sounds like a smokescreen. If they can trade for Bernier he's gone.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:24 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Boston continues the domination (holding, hooking, obstruction, interfering) tonight. Only the refs can stop the Bruins now and the referees are about as effective as an Edmonton power play.

I predict shutout again.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Boston continues the domination (holding, hooking, obstruction, interfering) tonight. Only the refs can stop the Bruins now and the referees are about as effective as an Edmonton power play.

I predict shutout again.
Only the Montreal Canadiens can stop the Bruins. Everybody knows this!

Old
06-19-2013, 12:31 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:

I predict shutout again.
meh, Hawks were their own ennemies last game, they're dominant whenever they start skating (they're a real fast team) but for some reason they only do it for stretches of games... if they can do it more they'll be O.K.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:33 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

I predict shutout again.
If this is is the NHL's ideal hockey and want to push regular season hockey into being like this, I might just be saving lots of time in the coming years. As you say, clutching, grabbing, very little skill on display. I've been watching a period or two and then losing interest.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:43 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
According to Roger Millions (who is everywhere this week, it seems), Cammalleri wants out of Calgary:

Quote:
Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 46m
Bryan Murray says he's looking for atop 6 forward. If Mike Cammalleri wants out of #Flames, is there a match. 1 YR. 6 Mill left on his deal

Book O' Floob ‏@bookofloob 43m
@RogMillions just curious, has he expressed a desire to leave? (I'd understand if he wanted out, just hadn't heard anything)

Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 40m
@bookofloob That is my understanding.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:44 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
If this is is the NHL's ideal hockey and want to push regular season hockey into being like this, I might just be saving lots of time in the coming years. As you say, clutching, grabbing, very little skill on display. I've been watching a period or two and then losing interest.
You have two choices as a team; you follow the course, or you stay stubborn and keep building your team to play in a league that is not.

Playoffs hockey is always great to watch. It's hockey. It's magical. People who complain about the spectacle might as well go see Kovalev do his harlem globetrotter tricks. Might not be the most opened hockey, but it's still interesting to see.

High-scoring hockey that finishes 6-4 is way more annoying that playoffs hockey.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I agree. It's mind boggling that a pro sport allows it's stars to be neutralized by less than legal tactics. Do you think the NFL calls penalities on late hits to QB's? ...do you think MLB goes to a plate 3 feet wide in the playoffs? Do you think the NBA stops calling fouls and lets them mug LeBron or Kobie.

The worst part is in the NHL it's a double whammy, if the obstruction and beating up of star players doesn't stop scoring there is also the slush they play on which is bad beacuse of June hockey. Nothing will change until they get guys like Campbell and Shanahan out of the NHL office.

Look at the Memorial cup, the game is played at a very high level, same as the WJHC, so why then is the NHL not able to "let them play" in a way that skill players still make an impact?

Old
06-19-2013, 12:47 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
You have two choices as a team; you follow the course, or you stay stubborn and keep building your team to play in a league that is not.

Playoffs hockey is always great to watch. It's hockey. It's magical. People who complain about the spectacle might as well go see Kovalev do his harlem globetrotter tricks. Might not be the most opened hockey, but it's still interesting to see.

High-scoring hockey that finishes 6-4 is way more annoying that playoffs hockey.
wich begs the Q, if it that's great why dont they let players "play" that way during regular season ?

doubt 6-4 hockey happens all that much, even in regular season.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:48 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I agree. It's mind boggling that a pro sport allows it's stars to be neutralized by less than legal tactics. Do you think the NFL calls penalities on late hits to QB's? ...do you think MLB goes to a plate 3 feet wide in the playoffs? Do you think the NBA stops calling fouls and lets them mug LeBron or Kobie.

The worst part is in the NHL it's a double whammy, if the obstruction and beating up of star players doesn't stop scoring there is also the slush they play on which is bad beacuse of June hockey. Nothing will change until they get guys like Campbell and Shanahan out of the NHL office.

Look at the Memorial cup, the game is played at a very high level, same as the WJHC, so why then is the NHL not able to "let them play" in a way that skill players still make an impact?
Team play > everything. The most complete team will win in the playoffs. You need a perfecft mix of everything.

Habs would have won 2 cups in the last three years, nobody would say a damn word. Truth is, the Bruins adapted to the reality of this league way sooner than we did... In fact, we're still looking for a solution the Bruins found many years ago.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:49 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Often when they keep their players they let another go or have a weak spot on their team with no cap room to fix it. Phillie it was goaltending and last yaer it was weak skill on defense. NYR it was a lack of depth, Pittsburgh will get to that point if they keep Letang Dupuis and Fleury, they'll have to weakewn their depth and go younger/weaker.

All teams that are consistently better than us.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:52 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
of the three teams he named, NYR had their last cup about 20 years ago, Philly gave away the players needed for LA to win a cup as well as a Vezina winner to CLB - and they havent won a cup in about 40 years...

Old
06-19-2013, 12:55 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
According to Roger Millions (who is everywhere this week, it seems), Cammalleri wants out of Calgary:

Not surprised by this. Cammalleri has experience if he really wants out of a team. He pulled it of quite well last time.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:00 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
Not surprised by this. Cammalleri has experience if he really wants out of a team. He pulled it of quite well last time.
Can you really blame him?

Old
06-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Team play > everything. The most complete team will win in the playoffs. You need a perfecft mix of everything.

Habs would have won 2 cups in the last three years, nobody would say a damn word. Truth is, the Bruins adapted to the reality of this league way sooner than we did... In fact, we're still looking for a solution the Bruins found many years ago.
The big test to me is if fans that are not Boston or Chicago can watch the games. I know I can't, just get tired of 60 minutes of grinding. as I said compared to the Memorial Cup the skill is sucked out of the game. If the NHL is serious about being a major sport in the US, then the stars have to be allowed to be stars.

I'm sure I would care a whole lot more if the Habs were involved, but I'm a bigger NHL fan than the average fan.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 06-19-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old
06-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Can you really blame him?
Yes. Biggest loser to every wear the CH. I will legitimately follow another team if he is ever brought back here.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:06 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
The big test to me is if fans that are not Boston or Chicago can watch the games. I know I can't, just get tired of 60 minutes of grinding. as I said compared to the Memorial Cup the skill is suched out of the game. If the NHL is serious about being a major sport in the US, then the stars have to be allowed to be stars.

I'm sure I would care a whole lot more if the Habs were involved, but I'm a bigger NHL fan than the average fan.
There's a reason why the Memorial Cup is Junior hockey, and that the Stanley Cup Playoffs are NHL Hockey.

I enjoy playoffs hockey. It's always good to watch. No matter the kind of games, there's this atmosphere and this aura around it that makes it more enjoyable than usual. Players are actually giving their 110%, and that only is a fantastic spectacle.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Your point is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
It screws the Flames if they trade him, they'll have to spend to the floor, which may leave them with bad contracts.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
There's a reason why the Memorial Cup is Junior hockey, and that the Stanley Cup Playoffs are NHL Hockey.

I enjoy playoffs hockey. It's always good to watch. No matter the kind of games, there's this atmosphere and this aura around it that makes it more enjoyable than usual. Players are actually giving their 110%, and that only is a fantastic spectacle.
The Stanley Cup playoffs should be more entertaining than the Memorial Cup but it isn't

I could care less about the aura or atmosphere, I prefer watching good hockey. Now what appears to be a team of Moens trying to score on a team of Gills.

Closed Thread