HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nick Cousins

Old
06-18-2013, 07:14 PM
laforest
R.I.P Buster

vCash: 500
Nick Cousins

Sorry if this has already been asked. But , hows his development going? Does he see any playing time with the team this year?

laforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Development is going as good as can be for a 3rd rounder in a draft from 2 years ago.

Still has to work on his defense, but no, he won't be with the Flyers for at least another year or two.

He'll be in the AHL next season.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by laforest View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked. But , hows his development going? Does he see any playing time with the team this year?
I'm not sure what others think, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well with the phantoms and be called up mid season or so. People think Marchand is a rat, well this guy is at another level of trolling, he will stir things up

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
I'm not sure what others think, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well with the phantoms and be called up mid season or so. People think Marchand is a rat, well this guy is at another level of trolling, he will stir things up
Has a problem on the defensive side of the game. If he shows improvement with that I have no problem. If not, let him work on him. He is lazy defensively.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Has a problem on the defensive side of the game. If he shows improvement with that I have no problem. If not, let him work on him. He is lazy defensively.
I agree, but since he seems to understand that he needs to work harder defensively (listening to his Interviews) I feel like he can make tha jump quickly. He seems to have a very high hockey IQ and a high compete level. Scored over 100 points in the ohl this year, and IIRC the next guy on his team had ~60

Old
06-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Appleyard

I think Cousins is definitely going to be an NHL player now, maybe a few game stint next season and a real shot at the roster the year after... he has improved defensively this year, and has improved as a player every single year in the OHL, a great hockey IQ, good hands and passing and a nice enough shot... and he competes hard. Plus he will piss everyone off so much!

Good stuff for a 3rd round pick, as previously said, about as much as you can hope for from that kind of pick.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:03 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Really? I had no idea about that. I knew he was a sandpaper type guy but not like a big time pest. This makes me so much more excited about him. Side note: what ever happened with his criminal charges?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:06 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Epic ****ing troll this guy is. Cannot wait for him to get to the NHL

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I think Cousins is definitely going to be an NHL player now, maybe a few game stint next season and a real shot at the roster the year after... he has improved defensively this year, and has improved as a player every single year in the OHL, a great hockey IQ, good hands and passing and a nice enough shot... and he competes hard. Plus he will piss everyone off so much!

Good stuff for a 3rd round pick, as previously said, about as much as you can hope for from that kind of pick.
I don't think he makes the jump next year. He not only needs to get better defensively, but he needs to also get stronger. At 170 he's going to get beat into a pulp.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:08 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

He's probably 2 years away

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
I don't think he makes the jump next year. He not only needs to get better defensively, but he needs to also get stronger. At 170 he's going to get beat into a pulp.
I understand what you mean, he is not 'big' by any means either, but the 170 weight is out of date I think, he was listed as that weight in 2011-12 and has got bigger since then. I think he is probably 180 now.

Edit: He is listed at 177 on the OHL and Phantoms sites. Still not great but by the start of the season I can see him being 185ish.

Incidentally if he is 177 he is exactly the same height and weight as I am...

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Really? I had no idea about that. I knew he was a sandpaper type guy but not like a big time pest. This makes me so much more excited about him. Side note: what ever happened with his criminal charges?
Charges were dropped, no prospect of conviction.

Cousins is more yap than sandpaper. He antagonizes the other teams by talking, not by hitting, and he doesn't back it up by fighting (like Carcillo or Rinaldo, for example). Marchand yaps, but he hits and will fight. Cousins is more like Akeson with a beak. Skilled but not big and not NHL-smurf fast.

Cousins gets his payback by scoring on the powerplays after drawing penalties from guys trying to kill him for his yap.

He needs to worry about skating and D-play to make it in the NHL, he won't get away with the yapping in the NHL unless he can play both ways and still produce some offense. He's similar to Frolik, who remade himself as a checker/PKer when he couldn't score to be a top 6er.

He might end up being a good NHL player, but he also might end up in Europe three years from now after never leaving the Phantoms.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:21 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Charges were dropped, no prospect of conviction.

Cousins is more yap than sandpaper. He antagonizes the other teams by talking, not by hitting, and he doesn't back it up by fighting (like Carcillo or Rinaldo, for example). Marchand yaps, but he hits and will fight. Cousins is more like Akeson with a beak. Skilled but not big and not NHL-smurf fast.

Cousins gets his payback by scoring on the powerplays after drawing penalties from guys trying to kill him for his yap.

He needs to worry about skating and D-play to make it in the NHL, he won't get away with the yapping in the NHL unless he can play both ways and still produce some offense. He's similar to Frolik, who remade himself as a checker/PKer when he couldn't score to be a top 6er.

He might end up being a good NHL player, but he also might end up in Europe three years from now after never leaving the Phantoms.
Glad to hear the charges were dropped. Hopefully that was just a fluke and nothing like that ever happens again.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Glad to hear the charges were dropped. Hopefully that was just a fluke and nothing like that ever happens again.
From the stories about him after the season, it looks like he's learned his lesson. He's going to stay in Philly working out all summer.

Just re-read my post and what didn't come through is that I think he's a very good player. I didn't get a chance to see him much this year, but the year before I watched a lot of games. He's always in the action, I just wish he'd focus on the game more than the game-within-the-game. It's one thing to drive the opposition to distraction, but if you get distracted, that's bad.

If he gets stronger and faster, he should be an NHLer by next year - he has the talent.

Not sure if it was Lappy or Pryor who said 'the puck follows him around.' That's very true. He seems to have great hockey sense and timing.

He will get a really good chance. It's up to him now. His career path could go either way: Philadelpia or Kloten Flyers.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:24 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Here's an example of what kind of antics he pulls. I like Cousins but he better take some boxing lessons or something if he plans on pulling the stuff he pulled in the OHL in the NHL.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:27 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Cousins is a lot like a Briere that has forever lost his ability to control his cool.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

Here's an example of what kind of antics he pulls. I like Cousins but he better take some boxing lessons or something if he plans on pulling the stuff he pulled in the OHL in the NHL.
Can you imagine a line of him, rinaldo, and laughton? Other teams would lose their minds. Can't wait to see him against the Pens.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 01:22 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

eh, that's just a lack of maturity.

That should stop once he hits the pros. If not, then he's not going to have a career in the NHL

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:15 PM
DeflatedFootball7

I'm just waiting for the wonderful day when we can have a line of McGinn-Cousins-Rinaldo against the Pens. The main board will likely explode.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:17 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I'm just waiting for the wonderful day when we can have a line of McGinn-Cousins-Rinaldo against the Pens. The main board will likely explode.
As long as they're not out against Malkin or Crosby, you mean. Cousins has a long way to go defensively before I'd want him anywhere near Malkin/Crosby.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:21 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
As long as they're not out against Malkin or Crosby, you mean. Cousins has a long way to go defensively before I'd want him anywhere near Malkin/Crosby.
Fair enough.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Yeah cousins is a super pest, he yaps all game and gets players on the other team crazy, but all his teammates seem to really like him and doesn't ostracize himself in the dressing room. He will drive Crosby and malkin wild, and he already has a history of getting Henrique to lose his cool.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:51 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
From the stories about him after the season, it looks like he's learned his lesson. He's going to stay in Philly working out all summer.

Just re-read my post and what didn't come through is that I think he's a very good player. I didn't get a chance to see him much this year, but the year before I watched a lot of games. He's always in the action, I just wish he'd focus on the game more than the game-within-the-game. It's one thing to drive the opposition to distraction, but if you get distracted, that's bad.

If he gets stronger and faster, he should be an NHLer by next year - he has the talent.

Not sure if it was Lappy or Pryor who said 'the puck follows him around.' That's very true. He seems to have great hockey sense and timing.

He will get a really good chance. It's up to him now. His career path could go either way: Philadelpia or Kloten Flyers.
Quote:
Yeah cousins is a super pest, he yaps all game and gets players on the other team crazy, but all his teammates seem to really like him and doesn't ostracize himself in the dressing room. He will drive Crosby and malkin wild, and he already has a history of getting Henrique to lose his cool.
Hahaha. Do either of you think he will get a look at the big club next season or is he just Phantoms fodder for now? From what I have read and heard/seen, he kind of reminds of a Pat Maroon type of player (not their playing styles or abilities, but their situations). The kind of player who could make a solid NHL career or just as easily fade into oblivion.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Hahaha. Do either of you think he will get a look at the big club next season or is he just Phantoms fodder for now? From what I have read and heard/seen, he kind of reminds of a Pat Maroon type of player (not their playing styles or abilities, but their situations). The kind of player who could make a solid NHL career or just as easily fade into oblivion.
If I had to bet, I'd say Cousins ends up as a good solid two-way NHL player. Maybe not a top line scorer, but someone like Frolik who learns D to stay in the league. Cousins WANTS to be an NHL player. He carried that Soo team for the last two years, outscoring all his teammates by dozens of points.