HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Butler traded for T.J. Brennan

Old
06-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Brennan was picked up because of his offensive upside. Housely will work with him to see if his potential warrants a spot in Nashville. If he doesn't stick, he's a nice addition for MIL. There is a logjam of bottom pairing Dmen, but there is a new sherif in town to coach the offensive minded, puck moving defensemen. Let Housely weed them out.
Good call about Housley. Wasn't really taking that into account. Since he was that type of player and is in charge of the power play now, it'll be interesting to see what he thinks about our offensive d-men options.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
And Kings fans felt Hickey should be in the NHL, but he was boxed out by depth.
In all fairness, people who post on internet web sites, having become hockey fans in the past few years, with little to any knowledge about the game and its players may have been these Kings fans, but honestly, on a Kings team with Doughty-Scuderi, Voynov-Mitchell, Greene-Martinez and depth guys like Drewiske and later, Muzzin, at that point, Hickey was clearly not ready for a role on that team. His role in Manchester was occasionally marred by injury, and inconsistent play in all three zones on the ice. Is he NHL capable? As the Islanders had a greater need for bodies on the blueline, they are finding him serviceable, but Lombardi, who has had his five years of futility snapped by an amazing trade of Jack Johnson leading to a great Cup run, missed terribly on picking Hickey 4th, though a surgery that hampered his upper body strength happened well after said draft.

As for my $.02 on this deal for Brennan, RIGHT ON! There's some great upside with this kid, and Butler wasn't going to be much of a factor up front this coming year. The addition of Phil Housley is probably the best news Brennan (and Ellis) could get. I'm excited about the competition for the blueline this coming season!

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:21 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Jack Hillen was a free agent pickup by us and then let go by us. If we're going to do the analysis of defensemen, let's talk about those that came up through our system and have gone on to other things as opposed to guys that we acquired like Hillen. And just because a guy is playing in the playoffs for another team doesn't necessarily make them a better player than what we already have.
But Hillen got a very decent amount of time on ice in the playoffs. He wasn't all that bad either. Hell, and I forgot about Sulzer. He's playing regular dman minutes for Buffalo if I remember correctly. I'm just saying that a crappy dman by our standards might not be seen as that bad around the league.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:41 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

[QUOTE=PredsV82;
Preds have more immediate needs than trading a roster player for a pick which will give us a player who will be three years out at a minimum. I will be pissed if Poile wastes Blum or Ellis on a pick unless its to colorado or florida to move up to 1 or 2[/QUOTE]

There's talk of not even qualifying Blum. Unless he's a minor piece in a big package, you're going to be disappointed.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:52 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
But Hillen got a very decent amount of time on ice in the playoffs. He wasn't all that bad either. Hell, and I forgot about Sulzer. He's playing regular dman minutes for Buffalo if I remember correctly. I'm just saying that a crappy dman by our standards might not be seen as that bad around the league.
Re: Sulzer he was playing 2nd pairing only due to some great chemistry with Ehrhoff for a while. Other than that he was our (Buffalo's) 6/7 D with sheltered minutes.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggun35 View Post
Can't compare a starting goaltender with an AHL defenseman.

Plus Brennan was traded from Buffalo to Florida for a 5th round pick.
I meant one of our other Defensemen like Blum, Ellis ect

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:07 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
There's talk of not even qualifying Blum. Unless he's a minor piece in a big package, you're going to be disappointed.
Im callling BS.... that talk would be idiotic.

I cant imagine how you let Blum walk for nothing.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:32 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Im callling BS.... that talk would be idiotic.

I cant imagine how you let Blum walk for nothing.
Easy...

Blum: how about that contract?

Poile: you're ****, I tried trading your ass to the oilers and they said no. There is a metric ****ton of talent coming in this draft and your roster spot is more important than you.

Poile: In short, let me quote Kenny Powers 'get the **** out'

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:35 PM
maplepred

He gets qualified to get traded at worst. Not a chance he walks for nothing.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:06 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
He gets qualified to get traded at worst. Not a chance he walks for nothing.
this. it would be stupid to just let him go and watch him sign elsewhere. I feel certain someone would give us a pick or prospect for him at the very least, although I would prefer he be in a package for something good.

of course he may get traded before QO's are due which would mean technically WE wouldnt qualify him

Old
06-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
this. it would be stupid to just let him go and watch him sign elsewhere. I feel certain someone would give us a pick or prospect for him at the very least, although I would prefer he be in a package for something good.

of course he may get traded before QO's are due which would mean technically WE wouldnt qualify him
I just wouldn't get my hopes up. Regardless of our track record for developing d-men, he's a 24 year old that has proven incapable of holding even a 3rd pairing role outside of a good half season over 2 seasons ago, and that was with having a pretty subpar defensive corps this past season. I would really be surprised if he has much value at all.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:36 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I just wouldn't get my hopes up. Regardless of our track record for developing d-men, he's a 24 year old that has proven incapable of holding even a 3rd pairing role outside of a good half season over 2 seasons ago, and that was with having a pretty subpar defensive corps this past season. I would really be surprised if he has much value at all.
thats insane. teams trade for depth defensemen all the time. I have no doubt somebody will give us something for him.

just letting him walk for nothing....

Old
06-16-2013, 12:51 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
thats insane. teams trade for depth defensemen all the time. I have no doubt somebody will give us something for him.

Sure, 6/7th d-men can get you...well, a Bobby Butler. Not exactly the kind of return I'll be losing sleep over if Poile decides to let him walk instead. Not saying it won't happen, but I would be very surprised to see Blum with significantly more value than that.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:38 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:

I agree that letting him walk for nothing is stupid, but getting back to expectations, what would you give up if the roles were reversed? Nothing in the first three rounds I'd imagine (and I didn't include the 4th because we have three picks).

I'm going to assume he's been trade bait for at least a year with nobody willing to give up much.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 01:15 PM
MarkMM

Hahaha, just noticed something, in case you didn't know, Strombone is Roberto Luongo's Twitter handle. Despite the awkward nature of his situation in Vancouver he's handled the situation with a great sense of humor, as you can see by his comments about this trade.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...16977055846400

I remember a few years ago Klein was everybody's whipping boy (I think there were complaints when he signed a $1.3M contract) but grew into his role with the Preds and is now seen as a key piece of the team. Any chance this is also what might be happening with Blum, or is your read of it that Blum and Klein are different situations?

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 01:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Hahaha, just noticed something, in case you didn't know, Strombone is Roberto Luongo's Twitter handle. Despite the awkward nature of his situation in Vancouver he's handled the situation with a great sense of humor, as you can see by his comments about this trade.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...16977055846400

I remember a few years ago Klein was everybody's whipping boy (I think there were complaints when he signed a $1.3M contract) but grew into his role with the Preds and is now seen as a key piece of the team. Any chance this is also what might be happening with Blum, or is your read of it that Blum and Klein are different situations?
Klein was a whipping boy to the fans, but was never in quite the doghouse that Blum is now. I dont recall Poile ever leaving it up in the air if he was even going to be qualified.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 01:45 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

for Blum to be in such obvious disfavor with Poile indicates that there is a problem with attitude and/or work ethic.

Klein was the 7/8 d man for two years but apparently kept plugging and worked hard until he got his chance.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Top 6 Spaling

IIRC Poile/Trotz had some harsh words for Blum after training camp the year after his big breakout, saying he had gotten cocky and lazy, but I seem to remember him staying last summer to work with the team and whatnot, and it seemed like he fixed those issues...til the season started.

And personally, I believe Blum will end up a decent-to-good top 4 D for whatever team he ends up with. I could be wrong, but that's what I'd bet. He has all the skills, and it takes defenseman longer to develop. The reason I keep him over Ellis is that we have seen Blum reach good top 4 level before, so it's easier for me to see him regaining that than Ellis progressing that much further. I am terrified Ellis will be a #5D that is great on the power play, and nothing more. Prove me wrong, Ellis.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:28 PM
NoNecksCurse

ellis will be a bust. mark my words.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:17 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
ellis will be a bust. mark my words.
The only way he becomes a bust is if his size becomes too much to overcome. He's one of the smartest dmen I've seen in a while, great vision and play reading ability.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:29 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
The only way he becomes a bust is if his size becomes too much to overcome. He's one of the smartest dmen I've seen in a while, great vision and play reading ability.
his size will be exactly why he is a bust.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:52 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

ellis will turn out to be similar to johnny boychuk. mark my words

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:54 PM
hockey diva

Never mind

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:14 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
Ellis and Boychuk are absolutely nothing alike, physically or stylistically.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
Wait...how?

In what way will Ellis big a big-ish, physical Dman? There are plenty of decent players he could turn into...Boychuck isn't one of them.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote