HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part VI: Buyout Season

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2013, 01:08 PM
  #126
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Briere has really declined the past two years, but on a one year contract would be a better option than Richards plus risk. Gives us a possible top 6 contributor. Still leaves us with a pivot spot to fill.

Basically NYR and Philly trade old players on long contracts, but still have to pay them.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:08 PM
  #127
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,788
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
predict July 5

Rangers sign Maxime Lappierre 3 year contract 1.8 per year (played for the current Rangers head coach)
Rangers sign Eric Nystrom 3 year 2.0 per year
Rangers sign Eric Godard $10.8 million / 4 years [$2.7M per]

__________________
Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:08 PM
  #128
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,711
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Briere is strictly a RW at this point in his career. I wouldn't mind him if he came cheap on a 1 year deal.

I still want this team to get more physical. Clowe would help on LW. Moving Pyatt for a tougher, more speedy player would be a plus as well.

I get the feeling they will be bringing in a winger this off-season via trade.
This. I wouldn't be opposed to Briere, but I agree with you on molding a more physical forward core. I'm far from a "OMG TOUGHNEZZ IS MORE IMPORTANT HAN SCORINGZZ" person, but our current core of forwards is SOFT, at least in terms of physical engagement. Even the bottom-6. Dorsett/Callahan are really the only **** disturbers we have up front. Replacing Pyatt with a tough LWer would be a nice step forward, as would adding McIlrath to the blueline.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:09 PM
  #129
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I just can't get behind Clowe. Too many injuries in such a short period. It'd be one thing if he was on the right side of 30 years of age, but he is not. He has never been a quick skater either. This just reeks of disaster. He doesn't bring speed, is getting slower, his body is aging fast it seems, and he wants decent money with all this. I just can't justify it.

I know Briere is small but he brings more offense and with Gaborik gone, we certainly could use more offense. It would also help the PP. I love what Callahan brings but Briere is by far a more offensive threat than Callahan. Bump Callahan down to the 3rd line and get him a decent 3rd line center to play with. In the new NHL you cannot look at the 3rd line as if it is a checking line. It isn't a demotion for callahan. It just means you have much more depth.

I don't think teams are realistically willing to trade for Pyatt.
his best years was playing on the Canucks on the top 2 lines... i bet NYR gives him another chance to rebound.. the lack of training camp has hurt some of the depth players...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:09 PM
  #130
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,711
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
predict July 5

Rangers sign Maxime Lappierre 3 year contract 1.8 per year (played for the current Rangers head coach)
Rangers sign Eric Nystrom 3 year 2.0 per year
Please stop.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:09 PM
  #131
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I just can't get behind Clowe. Too many injuries in such a short period. It'd be one thing if he was on the right side of 30 years of age, but he is not. He has never been a quick skater either. This just reeks of disaster. He doesn't bring speed, is getting slower, his body is aging fast it seems, and he wants decent money with all this. I just can't justify it.

I know Briere is small but he brings more offense and with Gaborik gone, we certainly could use more offense. It would also help the PP. I love what Callahan brings but Briere is by far a more offensive threat than Callahan. Bump Callahan down to the 3rd line and get him a decent 3rd line center to play with. In the new NHL you cannot look at the 3rd line as if it is a checking line. It isn't a demotion for callahan. It just means you have much more depth.

I don't think teams are realistically willing to trade for Pyatt.
On Clowe - I think his demands will be reasonable, and if not, then they need to find a way to integrate more sandpaper into the top-9 in some other form.

On Briere - He is very injury prone. That is a major issue and he is undersized. On top of that, he can't play center anymore. I have a feeling he will be overpaid by someone. I also hate him......

On Pyatt - I think there would be a team out there willing to move a later round pick for him considering the absolutely crappy UFA options available.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:10 PM
  #132
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Rangers sign Eric Godard $10.8 million / 4 years [$2.7M per]
you must mean Eric Boulton.. Godard retired last year

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:12 PM
  #133
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,204
vCash: 500
Whe is the last time Briere actually played centeR?

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:12 PM
  #134
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Briere has really declined the past two years, but on a one year contract would be a better option than Richards plus risk. Gives us a possible top 6 contributor. Still leaves us with a pivot spot to fill.

Basically NYR and Philly trade old players on long contracts, but still have to pay them.
As much as I would be okay with that, I have to assume there will be other players available that are better suited for the Rangers. Ryan Malone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Rangers sign Eric Godard $10.8 million / 4 years [$2.7M per]


Still want Cody McLeod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
This. I wouldn't be opposed to Briere, but I agree with you on molding a more physical forward core. I'm far from a "OMG TOUGHNEZZ IS MORE IMPORTANT HAN SCORINGZZ" person, but our current core of forwards is SOFT, at least in terms of physical engagement. Even the bottom-6. Dorsett/Callahan are really the only **** disturbers we have up front. Replacing Pyatt with a tough LWer would be a nice step forward, as would adding McIlrath to the blueline.
That's how I feel. People like to assume I want an entire team of goons. That is far from what I want. I just want this team to be able to stick up for themselves and have guys who can create chances and energy in multiple ways.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:12 PM
  #135
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Please stop.
Lappierre played for for the former Canucks coach... and on Nystrom it seems like a lot of Rangers fans want him.. both Lappierre and Nystrom big upgrades over Asham and Powe. Powe is useless and Asham age is starting to show..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:13 PM
  #136
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,788
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
you must mean Eric Boulton.. Godard retired last year
That's why they have to give him that 4th year, to coax him out of retirement.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:14 PM
  #137
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,711
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Lappierre played for for the former Canucks coach... and on Nystrom it seems like a lot of Rangers fans want him.. both Lappierre and Nystrom big upgrades over Asham and Powe. Powe is useless and Asham age is starting to show..
Nystrom and Lapierre aren't worth $3.8M combined. I'd be hesitant to give Nystrom more than $1M, let alone $2M for THREE years.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:16 PM
  #138
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,788
vCash: 659
In 2009, Sather gave a goon a 35+ contract
In 2010, he gave a goon a 4 year deal

Is this the year he gives a good a NMC?

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:16 PM
  #139
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Lappierre played for for the former Canucks coach... and on Nystrom it seems like a lot of Rangers fans want him.. both Lappierre and Nystrom big upgrades over Asham and Powe. Powe is useless and Asham age is starting to show..
I would like Nystrom. But if they do that, they still need someone else. Nystrom is the type of guy who is willing to drop the gloves, but he is not anything close to a Thornton, Scott, etc. The Rangers need someone who can play the game and drop the gloves.

I think Nystrom is the ideal player to play opposite someone like McLeod. Unfortunately, they are both LWers.

Asham, Powe and Pyatt need to go.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:17 PM
  #140
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Nystrom and Lapierre aren't worth $3.8M combined. I'd be hesitant to give Nystrom more than $1M, let alone $2M for THREE years.
I would easily do 1.5 for Nystrom for 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
In 2009, Sather gave a goon a 35+ contract
In 2010, he gave a goon a 4 year deal

Is this the year he gives a good a NMC?
Are there any available via UFA?

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:17 PM
  #141
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,788
vCash: 659
I think Pyatt is definitely movable. I wouldn't move him unless there's a suitable replacement available, though.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:19 PM
  #142
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,711
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
In 2009, Sather gave a goon a 35+ contract
In 2010, he gave a goon a 4 year deal

Is this the year he gives a good a NMC?
Sather gives PLx3 4 years $1.6M with a NMC.

AW YEAH.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:19 PM
  #143
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think Pyatt is definitely movable. I wouldn't move him unless there's a suitable replacement available, though.
I think there are better players more suited to their roles than Pyatt available in UFA and who will be available via trade due to the cap.

I wonder of Jordin Tootoo would be available? Probably not, but he would be a fantastic addition as the 4th line RWer.

He was my target for last off-season. He would have been a good signing. Even Detroit realized it needed more grit.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:22 PM
  #144
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
On Clowe - I think his demands will be reasonable, and if not, then they need to find a way to integrate more sandpaper into the top-9 in some other form.

On Briere - He is very injury prone. That is a major issue and he is undersized. On top of that, he can't play center anymore. I have a feeling he will be overpaid by someone. I also hate him......

On Pyatt - I think there would be a team out there willing to move a later round pick for him considering the absolutely crappy UFA options available.
With the way the market is, I think Clowe will get paid his demands by someone.

I know the issues with Briere. That is why you only sign if the contract is reasonable. If not you move on.

Pyatt - You said move him for a tougher, quicker winger. I don;t think that's possible. I think it is more reasonable to get a mid round draft pick for him like you said.

I think the Rangers bring in Mason Raymond and put him opposite Callahan on the 3rd line. I also like Filppula and Stalberg as an option if they miss on Raymond.
I'd like to look at Elias, Connolly, and Koivu. Realistically I think you see Maholtra, Gordon, and Weiss
I think if you trade Pyatt, I'd consider Torres, Nystrom, Latendresse, and Fedotenko for 4th line LW.

My wish list would look like this for the forward corps with the Rangers buying out Richards (I am not considering the cap so bare with me):

Nash-Stepan-Kreider
Hagelin-Brassard-Zucc/Briere
Stalberg-Weiss-Callahan
Raymond-Boyle-Dorsett

Extra: Asham, xxx

I think if you get Briere, Zucc is let go.
I think if you don't get Weiss, you're better off having Richards stay one more year than signing Maholtra or Gordon for the 3rd line center spot.
Raymond and Stalberg add much more speed to the bottom 6 to get in on the forecheck quickly and complete all four lines. (I know I flip flopped stalberg and raymond)

RGY is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:23 PM
  #145
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,788
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I think there are better players more suited to their roles than Pyatt available in UFA and who will be available via trade due to the cap.

I wonder of Jordin Tootoo would be available? Probably not, but he would be a fantastic addition as the 4th line RWer
As long as they can play hockey I'd explore it.

I'm not game to move a ~10 goal scoring winger on a one year commitment for a grinder on a 4 year deal, though.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:24 PM
  #146
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,429
vCash: 500
I like Nystrom, but he's not really an upgrade for us.

Tawnos is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:24 PM
  #147
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
With the way the market is, I think Clowe will get paid his demands by someone.

I know the issues with Briere. That is why you only sign if the contract is reasonable. If not you move on.

Pyatt - You said move him for a tougher, quicker winger. I don;t think that's possible. I think it is more reasonable to get a mid round draft pick for him like you said.

I think the Rangers bring in Mason Raymond and put him opposite Callahan on the 3rd line. I also like Filppula and Stalberg as an option if they miss on Raymond.
I'd like to look at Elias, Connolly, and Koivu. Realistically I think you see Maholtra, Gordon, and Weiss
I think if you trade Pyatt, I'd consider Torres, Nystrom, Latendresse, and Fedotenko for 4th line LW.

My wish list would look like this for the forward corps with the Rangers buying out Richards (I am not considering the cap so bare with me):

Nash-Stepan-Kreider
Hagelin-Brassard-Zucc/Briere
Stalberg-Weiss-Callahan
Raymond-Boyle-Dorsett

Extra: Asham, xxx

I think if you get Briere, Zucc is let go.
I think if you don't get Weiss, you're better off having Richards stay one more year than signing Maholtra or Gordon for the 3rd line center spot.
Raymond and Stalberg add much more speed to the bottom 6 to get in on the forecheck quickly and complete all four lines.
That 3rd line is awesome. With buying out Richards we would be able to do that I believe no question. Though depending on the RFA deals, we also need money for the following year for Hank, Callahan, and Girardi.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:25 PM
  #148
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
With the way the market is, I think Clowe will get paid his demands by someone.

I know the issues with Briere. That is why you only sign if the contract is reasonable. If not you move on.

Pyatt - You said move him for a tougher, quicker winger. I don;t think that's possible. I think it is more reasonable to get a mid round draft pick for him like you said.

I think the Rangers bring in Mason Raymond and put him opposite Callahan on the 3rd line. I also like Filppula and Stalberg as an option if they miss on Raymond.
I'd like to look at Elias, Connolly, and Koivu. Realistically I think you see Maholtra, Gordon, and Weiss
I think if you trade Pyatt, I'd consider Torres, Nystrom, Latendresse, and Fedotenko for 4th line LW.

My wish list would look like this for the forward corps with the Rangers buying out Richards (I am not considering the cap so bare with me):

Nash-Stepan-Kreider
Hagelin-Brassard-Zucc/Briere
Stalberg-Weiss-Callahan
Raymond-Boyle-Dorsett

Extra: Asham, xxx

I think if you get Briere, Zucc is let go.
I think if you don't get Weiss, you're better off having Richards stay one more year than signing Maholtra or Gordon for the 3rd line center spot.
Raymond and Stalberg add much more speed to the bottom 6 to get in on the forecheck quickly and complete all four lines.
Ugh, Dorsett will get murdered. Not enough skill to be a skilled team. Not enough grit and toughness to play that way either. Lots of speed though on the wings.

I think Flip gets 5+ million. Same with Weiss.

I wouldn't mind Stalberg OR Raymond. I would rather Raymond.

They need to bring in guys who can muck it up a bit and wreak some havoc.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:25 PM
  #149
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,711
vCash: 300
Couple of bottom-6 players I think the Rangers should look into:

Boyd Gordon
Raffi Torres
Mason Raymond
Ryan Jones

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 01:27 PM
  #150
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,788
vCash: 659
Really want Raffi Torres to be Boyle's wingman like he was Malhotra's under AV.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.