HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kris Letang on the block?

Old
06-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Gilligans Island

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
SJ - Nope. Don't have the cap or the "cheap but quality" assets really.
We do have the cap space to sign Letang. Don't know if we have the cheap assets - Nieto, Wingels, Hamilton are the best we have to offer for forwards. We have plenty of D prospects but do the Pens need that? We have goalie prospects in Stalock and Sateri.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:52 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Pollak listened to you and gave you a rumor. I would have stayed out of here had someone not posted a Letang to SJ offer.
That's true, as we all know Pollak scours my posts on HFBoards with all of his free time.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:54 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Theoretically, if Letang were to be traded to San Jose, they certainly would have the cap space for him. The year that Letang's contract would expire, their 3 highest paid players would also have their contract expire.

Burns-Stuart
Letang-Vlasic
Braun-Irwin/Demers

Would be ****ing legit.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Good luck pulling that kind of value.
wooooooooosh

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
grN1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Riiiiiight. This isn't XBOX.

How many suitors are willing to commit to Letang for $7 million over multiple years? Go through the list...... not many.

ANA - Nope. Just signed Getzlaf/Perry to mega deals... not paying Letang 7 bills.
BOS - Nope. Won't have the cap space.
BUF - Maybe. They have the cap space and chips to package but will Letang commit to them long-term?
CAL - Hell no. No way does Letang leave a perennial contender and agree long-term to a rebuilding team in Western Canada.
CAR - Yes. The have the pieces and good story to offer. Trade history with Pens.
CHI - Nope. No space to add a $7 million defenseman.
COL - Yes. They have the pieces and money but will they have to move the chips to get Letang? Not sure.
CLB - Maybe. They have some nice assets to offer but will Letang want to commit to them?
DAL - Yes. Although, I don't see Dallas giving up the pieces it would take to land Letang.
DET - Maybe. They could use Letang but would have to strip their farm to get him.
EDM - Maybe. They have the pieces but don't see Letang committing to them long-term.
FLA - Maybe. Again, the pieces are there but will Letang want to stay there?
LA - No cap or need with Doughty and Voynov.
MIN - No money after adding the monster deals with Parise and Suter.
MON - Subban and Markov with Beaulieu in the weeds. Won't spend $7 mil on Letang and/or give up a Subban to get him.
NSH - Nope. LOL
NJD - Nope. Money problems.
NYI - Yes. Pieces to trade, will spend and moving to Brooklyn.
NYR - Maybe. Have the pieces and will spend... but will they give up the pieces?
OTT - No. No need to lock up $7 million long-term on a Karlssonesque player when they already have a better version.
PHI - Unlikely. A big Pens/Flyers trade would be uncomfortable.
PHO - Nope. Have the talent to trade but financial troubles and uncertainty. No way Letang re-signs with them long-term.
SJ - Nope. Don't have the cap or the "cheap but quality" assets really.
STL - Nope. Will have a hard time re-signing Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk as it is.
TB - Yes. If they buyout Vinny they could afford Letang long-term. They have some nice assets.
TOR - Yes. Nice assets to trade and willingness to make a big splash.
VAN - Maybe. The biggest problem is the Canucks would need to deal expensive assets in return.
WSH - No. Caps have their own moneysuckers in Ovie, Backstrom, Green, etc.
WIN - No. Don't see Letang committing to a non-playoff team in the coldest market in the NHL for multiple years. Jets biggest strength is the blue line... if they go BIG it will be up front.

Logically speaking, there are 6 "yes" teams, 7 "maybe" teams.... and most of those "maybes" are stretches. It's not like the Pens will get a 20 team bidding war for Kris Letang (especially unsigned).... not happening.
? the wild could afford to make room for letang at 3.5 mill this season and worry about resigning him after the season, or if we trade heatley. i think we could make a solid offer but i doubt it would be the best.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Theoretically, if Letang were to be traded to San Jose, they certainly would have the cap space for him. The year that Letang's contract would expire, their 3 highest paid players would also have their contract expire.

Burns-Stuart
Letang-Vlasic
Braun-Irwin/Demers

Would be ****ing legit.
Getting Letang would allow us to keep Burns at forward. He can always play point on the PP.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
That's true, as we all know Pollak scours my posts on HFBoards with all of his free time.
Odd thing is the one good thing with Pollak is he doesn't spend time spreading rumors. He may have a bead on DW who is high on Letang.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:58 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
? the wild could afford to make room for letang at 3.5 mill this season and worry about resigning him after the season, or if we trade heatley. i think we could make a solid offer but i doubt it would be the best.
the Pens wouldn't want Heatley i don't think, so the offer would have to be significantly better than other teams offering because some of those other teams wouldn't have to move any big pieces to re-sign Letang.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:58 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Odd thing is the one good thing with Pollak is he doesn't spend time spreading rumors. He may have a bead on DW who is high on Letang.
It wasn't a rumour though. It was just a "If Letang is on the block, you have to think the Sharks would be interested in him as a long-term Boyle-replacement".

Old
06-19-2013, 02:59 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
We do have the cap space to sign Letang. Don't know if we have the cheap assets - Nieto, Wingels, Hamilton are the best we have to offer for forwards. We have plenty of D prospects but do the Pens need that? We have goalie prospects in Stalock and Sateri.
at least one replacement NHL d-man would have to come back. they have a logjam of defensive prospects as it is.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:00 PM
NastyNick

Letang's play in games 1 and games 2 of the Boston series really soured me on him. I don't know if i'm confident with him in the top 2 going into a playoff series any more. Hes too unreliable.

Best case for the Pens is for them to acquire defensive leadership (doesn't have to be a top 2 guy, but a guy whose solid and can mentor their young guys) and a top young winger for him.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Phil68

You might not need Burns at foward cause you have Thomas Hertl

Phil68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
It wasn't a rumour though. It was just a "If Letang is on the block, you have to think the Sharks would be interested in him as a long-term Boyle-replacement".
Sure, but Pollak never even brings this kind of stuff up. I'm speculating but I'm sure he's heard that DW is high on Letang so that's why he's speculating.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:02 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3074326 View Post
wooooooooosh
?

His post wasn't exactly dripping with sarcasm, at least not that I could detect.

Considering people are talking about Coburn/Couturier + 11th for Jonathan Bernier in other threads, it's pretty difficult to distinguish sarcasm anymore.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:03 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post

Burns-Stuart
Letang-Vlasic
Braun-Irwin/Demers

Would be ****ing legit.
Nope. If Kris Letang was traded to San Jose, one of Burns or Vlasic would need to be involved in the trade.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:06 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Nope. If Kris Letang was traded to San Jose, one of Burns or Vlasic would need to be involved in the trade.
im not gonna claim burns is untouchable, but the value would be way off in a one to one swap. mostly due to contract/versatility.

youd have to add to get burns.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:06 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Sharks would hang up the ****ing phone. You aren't getting one of those guys for an un-signed Letang. Vlasic is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league, he's going absolutely nowhere. And Burns would put up 50 goals on Crosby's wing, there's absolutely no chance he gets moved.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Not for one year of Letang.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:07 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
im not gonna claim burns is untouchable, but the value would be way off in a one to one swap. mostly due to contract/versatility.

youd have to add to get burns.
Well, screw it. Pittsburgh can keep Letang.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:08 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Sharks would hang up the ****ing phone. You aren't getting one of those guys for an un-signed Letang. Vlasic is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league, he's going absolutely nowhere. And Burns would put up 50 goals on Crosby's wing, there's absolutely no chance he gets moved.
Fine with me.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:12 PM
swaggerjack

Whatever happens, Shero will get max value and will fleece whatever team. Rob Rossi reporting this makes me almost positive that you'll see an 8 year Letang contract announced in the next week.

swaggerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:13 PM
do0glas

honestly trades like this are the ones that surprise people the most with what actually happens.

just like we would do if it were one of our stars, wed want someone comparable back. it doesnt work like that. weve never been in a real trade negotiation. so the way they value players/contracts/and picks could be off base from how we view them here.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Well, screw it. Pittsburgh can keep Letang.

Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggerjack View Post
Whatever happens, Shero will get max value and will fleece whatever team. Rob Rossi reporting this makes me almost positive that you'll see an 8 year Letang contract announced in the next week.
Pretty much.

And we got James Neal and Matt Niskanen for Alex Goligoski. Letang, if moved, will bring back serious value.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
?

His post wasn't exactly dripping with sarcasm, at least not that I could detect.

Considering people are talking about Coburn/Couturier + 11th for Jonathan Bernier in other threads, it's pretty difficult to distinguish sarcasm anymore.
It wasn't sarcasm, he was basically saying the Flyers won't be getting Letang unless they pay a lot. We don't want to improve our rival..

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwag33 View Post

Edler would get half what letang will in a trade.
Lets not go that far. Admittedly, Letang has more value than Edler. But with Letang being 1 year away from UFA status, and Edler being signed long term for below market value, the return for each player would be closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick66 View Post
Actually Letang averages more hits per game over Edler on the past 5 seasons. Just because he is smaller doesn't mean he isn't as physical. If I'm Pens the deal starts at Edler and Gaunce
True, but physicallity can't always be measured in numbers but rather in devastation. Edler is a much more aggressive hitter, but he doesn't do it as often. You usually only see it on occasion, but he does ramp that portion of his game up in big games and the playoffs. I suppose I may be simplifying the term "physicallity" so take it for what you will.

I don't think I'd do the deal with Gaunce added, even though it is likely fair from a value perspective. Often in these 1 for 1 swaps of high calibur players, somebody has to take the "lesser" of the two players. In return, you often get a better contract. Use the Heatley for Havlat deal as an example. Heatley was certainly thought of as the better player, and was one season removed from back to back 39 goal seasons at age 30. He was traded for a Havlat who was thought of as the less skilled player, was the same age, but was worth 2mil less per season.

In a year where the Pens need cap space, I didn't think a 1 for 1 swap would be incredibly far fetched assuming Shero didn't want to downgrade his defense and had a good impression of Edler.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote