HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 'No-More-Shootouts' thread

Old
10-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Football game is tied, going in OT, still no score, so let's have a contest who have the longest punt......

I don't like shootouts, 'cause hockey is a team sport and all of a sudden, it becomes an individual effort.

Why don't we have shootouts in Playoffs as well if it's such a good idea? 'Cause you can't determine a winner that way? Well since there's always a 2 to 4 points difference between a 8th place and a 9th place, don't you think you determine your faith that way anyway?

But anyway, even though we build this in a 20-pages thread, it will still exist, I just wish Carbo used 3 forwards in order to hope finishing this quickly, if it doesn't happen and they score, what's the difference, we might lose in shootouts anyway, but you don't use guys with no mobility like Rivet and Souray in overtime, use your speed, but use forwards as well......

Last edited by Whitesnake: 10-15-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I like the idea of Continuous OT more than that of a shootout

Dwight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 06:17 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
this thread is dumb, shootouts are great.
It's not the first time this guy start stupid threads like that... He doesn't like shootouts, he starts a thread... He comes back from, I don't remember what, he starts a thread. He likes someone at his work, he starts a thread (doh! THAT was dumb). Plus he's the king of the clichés.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Boulette Cannon

Shootout absolutely sucks. Bring back the REAL hockey... Get rid of shootouts and those dumb*ss goalie lines.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 07:23 PM
les Habs

OT and shootouts during the regular season are stupid. 3 points for a regulation win, 1 point for a regulation draw is how it should be. With shootouts some teams are playing to get it to a shootout. Not to mention how it dulls the shootout or OT in the playoffs since you've already seen it 50 times during regular season. Worst change as a result of the new NHL.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Football game is tied, going in OT, still no score, so let's have a contest who have the longest punt......
This ruled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
It's not the first time this guy start stupid threads like that... He doesn't like shootouts, he starts a thread... He comes back from, I don't remember what, he starts a thread. He likes someone at his work, he starts a thread (doh! THAT was dumb). Plus he's the king of the clichés.
I think I may have made a thread about not liking them last season. MAYBE.

Remember, though:
We've got to get out there and skate hard.
We've got to take this season one game at a time.
We really have to take advantage our chances.
A couple of bounces and this game could be going the other way.
We have to go out there and give 110%.

Shall I go on?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
What's wrong with shootouts? You still get your tying point, yet one of the teams gets a bonus point. No one really loses here.
Or, every team not involved in the matchup loses.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 08:34 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
I like shootouts

Draws should not exist in sports, there must be a winner and a loser.

without the shootouts, we would have had 3 draws, THAT would have been boring and stupid.
i agree , every year we have one winner and twenty-nine losers .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Three shootouts is more than enough for an entire season, let alone the team's first game.

Let's hope for no more this year, since shootouts really suck!
I wonder if we were 3-0 in shootouts like the sabres if this thread would even come up.

I kind of agree with you though. Even when we beat the leafs in a shootout, it didn't really feel like a win. And when we lost a shootout to ottawa, it didn't really feel like a loss.

The Buffalo shootout felt like a loss but that was because we blew a lead late in the game.

It still feels like a tie game emotionally even though you know extra points are being exchanged

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 08:54 PM
marvelousmotion

I have nothing against shootouts, but I have something against our ability to win one though.

Can anyone please tell me why we keep choosing the same players to shoot all the time when it is clear that they are not that good in shootouts ?

We have a good number of other players that are if not better, at least as good, so why not try them? Players like Samsonov, Perezhogin or even Plekanec must be given a chance. Hell, even Johnson or Bonk. They are far less predictable than :

Ryder, who can't deke,
Higgins, see Ryder,
and Koivu, who is not a natural goal scorer (does not even have a good shot).

They don't even know what they are doing out there. Most of the time, they look lost. For the team's sake, PLEASE DO NOT PUT THEM NEXT TIME.

Kovalev on the other hand, is our best bet. Put him position #2, not 3, where he can't even shoot because a) The two first players never score and b) Huet is doing badly.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Ryder and Higgins have great shots, though.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Pass McGass

vCash: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
What's wrong with shootouts? You still get your tying point, yet one of the teams gets a bonus point. No one really loses here.
I totally agree.

I like the shootouts, but I think OT should be longer. Make it like 10 minutes and then it would be perfect.

Pass McGass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 02:41 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I find shootouts ironic. In perhaps the most team-oriented sport on the planet, games are decided on individual merit. It's like the bizarro world.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 07:01 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
I like shootouts

Draws should not exist in sports, there must be a winner and a loser.

without the shootouts, we would have had 3 draws, THAT would have been boring and stupid.
brilliant post.

I totally agree with you and that's exactly why I hate ties and love shootouts.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 07:10 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

It still feels like a tie game emotionally even though you know extra points are being exchanged
maybe for you, but not for me

when we won, I was as happy as a regular win.

When we lost, I feel a bit sad, but say to myself that at least, we got a point.

So the shootout brings me extra pleasure when we win and a certain satisfaction when we lose. But when we were tied, I was just mad to see a game finish like that.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 08:06 AM
LeMAD

Shootouts aren't great and the playoffs format of sudden death OT is by far the best, but it can't be done in the regular season because of TV restrictions. Shootouts then becomes the second best option, since tie games suck...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
There's one tie every two seasons in the NFL, smart guy. And comparing it to longest punt makes no sense; it'd be more like giving each team one offensive possession and seeing what yard line they get to after four downs, starting on their own 35. If both teams score/tie in yards, do it again.

Shootouts have a long history in soccer of determining tie games (in certain competitions/cups) and no one slits their wrists because of it. Once you decide you no longer wish to score ties in your league, there's not many options to end games.

-Unlimited OT (which is fine for playoffs, since the games mean so much, but makes no sense in the regular season, unless you want some 4 hour games - baseball does this and by the end of the game no one is watching, especially when it's two under .500 teams)

-Shootout

-Flip a coin

People act as if hockey's rules were handed down to Moses on the Mount thousands of years ago. They change and they evolve, as they should. Shootouts may remind you of a skills competition, and perhaps at one point in the past they were just that. Now, however, they are a completely valid part of the game, and the quicker some people understand and accept that, the quicker they can get off the Pepto-Bismol.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:55 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
I like shootouts.

But it should either be:

1. Shoutous - winning team gets 2 points, losing team gets none.

2. Tie game - the old fashioned way, 1 point to each team.

Do not go continuous overtimes. That would absolutely sucks. Just imagine 2 teams playing back to back games with the first one going in 5th overtime. The 2nd game would be awful for both teams, the fans would just cry at such a boring game where no players can skate faster than my grandma.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
-Unlimited OT (which is fine for playoffs, since the games mean so much, but makes no sense in the regular season, unless you want some 4 hour games - baseball does this and by the end of the game no one is watching, especially when it's two under .500 teams)
Sure, 'cause in regular season the games doesn't mean so much.......unless you don't make the playoffs by 2 points and those points 'cause the team in front of you won 2 shootouts more than you did. As if it would last long 4 on 4, but you could also go 3 on 3 if you prefer and you know that way it wouldn't last long either. Sorry but I don't see how the last game of a regular season while there's 1 point difference to make it or not is less important than the first of a 4 out 7 playoff game....

So what would you do with baseball, home runs contest??? That's the only way for them to finish it and it's not always going in the 19th inning either....But people who love the game will stop watching. Will you stop watching if it goes to 15 minutes of overtime?????

I believe that if it's not good for playoffs, it's not for regular season as well.

Don't tell me that if you apply the rules that in 10 minutes you won't have a goal if you either play 4 on 4, 3 on 3 and if you still keep giving the penalites that will result in Powerplays. A goal will happen in 10 minutes, if not, I believe it will be the exception.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Pascal

I like them, they're exciting, and no one finds them boring. Adding them was about the fans. Sure, it's not great to decide a game like that, but there's no more ties anymore and that is enough for me to be quite ok with shootouts.

And I agree, stop putting ryder/higgins/koivu ffs. I'd have Samsonov/Kovalev/one of those 3.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Leaving aside the question of how shootouts affect the Habs...

I don't like Shootouts and would abolish them in favour of the old 5-minute OT plus ties if given the choice.

It's not that they aren't somewhat exciting... I mean, if I'm flipping through channels and there are some hockey games on that I care nothing whatsoever about, I can be mildly entertained by watching the shootouts. But I don't like them in games that I actually care about. They do seem like a farce once you've actually made an emotional investment in the game.

Of course, I'm often tempted to reduce much of the non-Habs regular season to the category of "games I just don't care about anymore", so I guess if they want to put the shootouts in to further entrench the regular season as something of a waste-of-time-revenue-generator, then it's really no skin off my teeth. As long as it never ever NEVER encroaches on the magic of playoff overtimes.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
They dont suck.. It's Huet who sucks at them
Badly...The book is out on Huet and Shootouts. Either shoot 5-hole or high glove side...Well pretty much anywhere.

As for our forwards...you'd figure the flashy russians would be put to use in the shootouts. Never thought they could really suck at them.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Fido22

We should have more players in shootouts (5 players per team as that leaves less to chance) and less Huet in shootouts.

Then shootouts will be good.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Badly...The book is out on Huet and Shootouts. Either shoot 5-hole or high glove side...Well pretty much anywhere.

As for our forwards...you'd figure the flashy russians would be put to use in the shootouts. Never thought they could really suck at them.
I don't know if I'd qualify two goalposts as sucking, at least for Kovalev. I think he should have been our first shooter on Saturday.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
I don't know if I'd qualify two goalposts as sucking, at least for Kovalev. I think he should have been our first shooter on Saturday.
You make it sound as though those are the only two goalposts Kovalev has hit. Last season each of his misses were on the goalposts (I believe he only scored 2 and missed 3 or 4). Regardless I think he should still be one of our shootout guys, since he actually knows what to do, but sometimes lacks the finish.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote