HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXII: Rumours start to heat up.

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 06:42 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Well ****.
this is good news, i want nothing to do with the contract that clarkson is going to sign... let some other team overpay by 1.5 or 2 million/year

Old
06-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Oilers have been out of the whale hunting business for a few years now, people have forgotten just how tough it is to get players to sign not only in Edmonton, but also in the western conferences and Canada.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Gards is worth A LOT MORE THAN 7TH
Then why make the trade?

Old
06-19-2013, 06:56 PM
jeety mcjeet
I know a thing or 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Clarkson brings a lot of what we need but at the price he's going to get this is great news. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole for anything over 4M. He's big, physical and adds a scoring touch but he's never had anything higher than 46 points. This season he started out great, and from about the half way mark of the season completely tailed off. Not to mention, he's a RW and Devils fans think he's one of the dumbest players on their team.
Agreed. Clarkson is going to get overpaid big time, I'm glad it isn't going to be the oilers doing it. I feel the same way about Letang. Let someone else overpay in assets and then overpay in salary. Letang is no Pronger in terms of impact to the overall quality of a team.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
right before he ddt'd the iron sheik and put howson in a figure four head lock. And tossed tambo out of the ring
ftfy

Old
06-19-2013, 07:14 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Alright HFOil, let me tell you a little something about free agency.

You're not going to like any price you pay in free agency. Very rarely do you get a "good deal" on a UFA. When you're bidding against other clubs, you're probably going to pay more than the value of the player. The name of the game in unrestricted free agency is "Who will pay me the most?"

If Edmonton wants Horton, Bickell, Clarkson or anyone else, MacT will have to open up the wallet wider than any other club.

We're going to overpay.

Prepare yourselves.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:14 PM
shiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I'm going to piece all of this info together and say that Hemsky will be traded to the leafs for Colborne and a 2nd rounder, with us retaining half of Hemsky's salary. Colborne would end up being a 4th/5th center on our depth chart to start the year
I think this is more likely as well. MacT was talking about moving Gags over to the right side as well, so maybe it is another center coming back. Fall back in case the player the Oilers want at the draft may not be there now?

Old
06-19-2013, 07:25 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post

You're not going to like any price you pay in free agency. Very rarely do you get a "good deal" on a UFA. When you're bidding against other clubs, you're probably going to pay more than the value of the player. The name of the game in unrestricted free agency is "Who will pay me the most?"

If Edmonton wants Horton, Bickell, Clarkson or anyone else, MacT will have to open up the wallet wider than any other club.

We're going to overpay.

Prepare yourselves.
Well said, the only thing I will add is that it is possible to not over pay. What I mean is you have to go after the player that will help your team the most relative to all other players. If you add that player that adds more to your team, given your need, than that player would have added to any other team. Then he was worth paying the highest price for. The thing is finding that player, FA needed be a huge waste of money, but you have to target that player that you really need. MacT will have to do that and it will come a a price most won't like.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I'm going to piece all of this info together and say that Hemsky will be traded to the leafs for Colborne and a 2nd rounder, with us retaining half of Hemsky's salary. Colborne would end up being a 4th/5th center on our depth chart to start the year
I'd be very happy with that. I don't see Hemsky getting Colbourne AND a 2nd though.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:27 PM
jeety mcjeet
I know a thing or 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post

We're going to overpay.

Prepare yourselves.
You have to get the right FA though. Hossa was worth dipping into free agency to get (and overpay). Getting sailor drunk and then going into a bidding war with the Sather's and Holmgren's of the world so you can get the free agent is simply not a good idea. One that you will likely regret when you wake up from it with Ville Leino.

Don't get me wrong I know you have to overpay to get the player. Just don't overpay for the wrong ones (Clarkson).

Old
06-19-2013, 07:36 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
I'd be very happy with that. I don't see Hemsky getting Colbourne AND a 2nd though.
I see a deal like that. A 2nd round pick is not that big and Colbourne is not exactly a top prospect.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:37 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
meh that would instantly make the Oilers a worse team.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
meh that would instantly make the Oilers a worse team.
I don't think you're going to get a return for Hemsky that makes the team better.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:44 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
I don't think you're going to get a return for Hemsky that makes the team better.
That Zack Smith deal is a lot more attractive IMO, while the Oilers would be giving up the best player in the deal at least it would help balance the roster.

I don't think bringing in a guy who would slot under Anton Lander on the depth chart would really help at all, but you're right. The Oilers are most likely going to lose any trade involving Hemsky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander23 View Post
+ nothing !!

if To is trading that package, they would want a 1C back, so there is no fit with the oilers
Good luck getting a #1 C with that package.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Pretty much.

That ship sailed a few years ago

Old
06-19-2013, 07:47 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 5393
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I see a deal like that. A 2nd round pick is not that big and Colbourne is not exactly a top prospect.
I'd rather have just the 2nd. No point in taking an extra contract with Colbourne.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Hemsky to Nashville for something like Nick Spaling and a 4th is what I'm expecting.

It's not ideal, but getting something significant for Hemmer is a ship that sailed long ago imo.

06-19-2013, 07:49 PM
SephF
Visually Better

I'd rather keep Hemsky than give him away for mid round picks or crappy 4th liners / prospects but I'm probably the only one in Edmonton who holds that opinion.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:51 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
That Zack Smith deal is a lot more attractive IMO, while the Oilers would be giving up the best player in the deal at least it would help balance the roster.
I'm actually going to be a bit disappointed if it doesn't happen. It fits our needs perfectly

06-19-2013, 07:54 PM
AlbertaHockey20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'm actually going to be a bit disappointed if it doesn't happen. It fits our needs perfectly
Almost every roster made on here has that trade.

The fans have spoken.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Seachd

Do the Senators have any reason to trade Smith?

Old
06-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
I'd rather keep Hemsky than give him away for mid round picks or crappy 4th liners / prospects but I'm probably the only one in Edmonton who holds that opinion.
Nope

Old
06-19-2013, 07:59 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

A responsible third liner with size would be all it takes to move Hemsky.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:00 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaHockey20 View Post
Almost every roster made on here has that trade.

The fans have spoken.
Let's hope

Quote:
To get the bottom 6 plugs out of their top 6

Old
06-19-2013, 08:29 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Two reasons: they need to add some offensive punch in their top 6 and they are deep at C with Spezza, Turris, Smith, Zibby and Pageau.

But Smith has a sweetheart deal and is seen as the Sens replacement for Neil whenever he's done. One year of Hemsky won't be enough to get Murray to move Smith. My guess is that the asking price would be PRV.

Closed Thread