HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #6: Dat Hertl

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 12:27 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Doesn't look hurt to me, looks ineffective under tight checking and physical play. I thought Toews would start crying after the lucic hit last night. Thing is Toews is facing 3 rounds of intense physical opposition the Hawks simply didn't face, and didn't have to overcome in their cup year. Toews is finding out how hard a SC should be and not liking it very much. Its telling when even Kane is rising to the occassion and Toews isn't.
Toews being ineffectual in the playoffs is nothing new. 4 goals scored over 34GP in the last 3 playoffs. Bring the intensity and it puts him off his game. Nothing new there.

Kane though is out of this world finding space and getting open shots in tight quarters. Really one of the best at it in the game. Peripheral, yes, but dangerous yes, all the time. He makes nothing rushes into scoring chances for fun. He's about the only Hawk in the lineup givng the Bruins any worries.
So what was the excuse the rest of the playoffs? Then again I've read the rest of your posts so I don't expect you to give him the benefit of the doubt like you did RNH.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So what was the excuse the rest of the playoffs? Then again I've read the rest of your posts so I don't expect you to give him the benefit of the doubt like you did RNH.
Well its certainly looking like a pattern with Toews. A lot of hawks fans saying it as well.

Old
06-18-2013, 04:50 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Toews, Nash, Parise - 3 of the most overrated players in the league.

Toews is a great 2-way talent but IMO his overall offensive game is lacking when compared to guys like Kopitar and Bergeron. Even Backstrom was a point/game player when separated from Ovechkin for parts of 2011-2012 season.

His defensive game is on par with Kopitar/Backstrom when they're healthy. It's below Bergeron/Zetterberg/Datsyuk.

Offensively Z/Dats out score him with 3rd liners like Cleary and Abdelkader as W's.

Backstrom creates offence more effectively. Bergeron produces less but with lesser W's.

His entire career Toews has played with some combination of Havlat/Hossa/Kane/Sharp as one of his W's. It's amazing he doesn't produce like the aforementioned C's. Kopitar plays in a system less high-flying than CHI's too. He's shown in similar systems that he can easily produce as well.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Kyle McMahon

Toews has been used to shut down the Krejci line in this series. I don't think Quenneville was really counting on much offense from him, afterall he hasn't produced much offense in the playoffs since 2010. Outside of the first two goals on Game 1, Toews has pretty much kept Krejci in check so he's done his job at even strength for the most part.

The problem for Chicago is that Boston has two of the game's top centermen. When Toews is used to nullify Krejci, the Bergeron vs whoever is a total mismatch. 24-4 in the faceoff circle for Patrice, while Handzus was 0-10.

The top players in this series are more or less keeping each other at bay. Chicago won Game 1 because their depth players stepped up and scored, and Boston won the next two with winners from Dan Paille. Boston got a PP goal last night, Chicago's as usual failed to even get control of the puck in the opposition end.

I don't see the stalemate on the top two lines being broken, so it will probably continue to be that whichever team's grinders can score twice in a game, or whoever can score a PP goal, will win the game. Though if I'm Quenneville I put together Sharp-Toews-Kane for next game. Trying to balance the lines by having Toews with Frolik and Kane with Handzus has only served to neuter the skill guys.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:03 AM
joestevens29

Wow the jersey Gretzky wore when he scored goal 500 went for 350k+.

Apparently that guy selling his Gretzky collections has made close to 600k. That's only phase 1. Not sure how much more stuff he has though.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:52 PM
joestevens29

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 2m
NHL GMs have approved all of the competition committee's recommendations, according to Mathieu Schneider (1/2)...

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 40s
What is still being worked on is how Hybrid Icing will be officiated. Linesmen will have opportunity to blow play dead if they...

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 26s
Sense danger, but details are still being worked out

Old
06-19-2013, 01:53 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 2m
NHL GMs have approved all of the competition committee's recommendations, according to Mathieu Schneider (1/2)...

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 40s
What is still being worked on is how Hybrid Icing will be officiated. Linesmen will have opportunity to blow play dead if they...

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 26s
Sense danger, but details are still being worked out
thought it worked fine in the AHL

still confused as to why they stopped

Old
06-19-2013, 04:08 PM
joestevens29

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m
Spin-o-rama in shootouts very likely an illegal play in NHL next season. Change would have to be approved, but strong sense it will be.

Meh, it's a shootout. Doesn't really matter if the guy flicked the puck over the net banking it over the glass and did a back flip mid air, batting the puck into the net.

One of the main reasons for the SO was for fans, why make it less entertaining?

Old
06-19-2013, 06:40 PM
aleshemsky83

haha that chelios bit is classic

Old
06-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Hockey Nightmare

3-1 hawks. Hope they keep it up. Am I the only one who isn't a big fan of Boston? I think they got a tremendous break with Toronto's last minute self-immolation, and I'm not into teams that get by so much on defense and goaltending (unless it's my team haha).

Old
06-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
The Bruins look uncomfortable and the Hawks are all over them. They're getting pushed around just a bit tonight.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The Bruins look uncomfortable and the Hawks are all over them. They're getting pushed around just a bit tonight.
uncharacteristic Bruins game, very undisciplined, but credit to the explosive hawks getting something rolling tonight. Thing is this is a HAVE TO WIN game for Chicago, not for Boston.
Still, Bruins are silly to let this opportunity pass. Just not matching intensity tonight.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Wow crazy lol...

Old
06-19-2013, 09:46 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Damn good hockey this is.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:47 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

This game is absolutely insane.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:50 PM
40oz

Sometimes the cup finals are really disappointing, not this year,

Old
06-19-2013, 09:52 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
So, uh, yeah... Pretty good game, huh.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Philly85
Moody'

B's get all the breaks, all the bounces at every moment seemingly.

Also, lol @ Simpson, "Marchand hit from behind", not even ****ing close there bud. These guys seem to be in the Bruins corner hugely.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:07 PM
CupofOil

Insane game, amazing series.
This is the way hockey should be played. Not the ****show that the Kings put on last year.
I'm dying for some Oilers news but i wouldn't mind if this series went to a Game 7 and we have to wait a bit longer for Oilers news.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

tbh this is easily the worst game of the series from a coaching standpoint. An unending series of indescribable mistakes. Lets look at a few.

Bruins give up a lethal 2 on 1, No second bruin is in sight. 4 Bruins are out to lunch on the play allowing not only the first shot, but a player to come out from behind the net and score on his second chance. Rask was furious and had every right to be. As in Where the hell is my team?

Another, Lucic with simply the worst giveaway, in ownzone, while last man back, handing the puck right to Patrick Kane. Kane miraculously didn't score but the hairbrained Lucic play(he looks confused out there) resulted in a GA on the ensuing 5 on 3.

Heres another Bruin miscue that hardly anybody will notice. Seidenberg makes a pinch, a well advised one to maintain puck support and pressure in Chicago end as Crawford is suddenly looking shaky on everything. Then Krejci, right beside his pinching D somehow figures its a good idea to make a blind pass to the slot which of course Hawks turn into an oddman break.

So many mistakes in this game. OT won't last long at this rate. Next indescribable screw up loses.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Insane game, amazing series.
This is the way hockey should be played. Not the ****show that the Kings put on last year.
I'm dying for some Oilers news but i wouldn't mind if this series went to a Game 7 and we have to wait a bit longer for Oilers news.
No NHL coach in the league would agree with you. Both coaches would undoubtedly screaming at their teams right about now. Both clubs have abandoned their system and especially Boston who have a dozen players tonight hero hunting instead of playing their game.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
B's get all the breaks, all the bounces at every moment seemingly.

Also, lol @ Simpson, "Marchand hit from behind", not even ****ing close there bud. These guys seem to be in the Bruins corner hugely.
I dunno.

If kelly doesn't miss a wide open net from in the crease Boston probably already won this game.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:23 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
No NHL coach in the league would agree with you. Both coaches would undoubtedly screaming at their teams right about now. Both clubs have abandoned their system and especially Boston who have a dozen players tonight hero hunting instead of playing their game.
I'm a fan, not a coach. I watch the games to be entertained and couldn't care less about structured, system play. It's just fun, high level hockey with a bit of everything. Both teams are going for it every shift, playing to win. I love it.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:26 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
I'd rather watch this than the Kings/Coyotes WCF last year, or the Devils/Kings for that matter. Even the OTs in that series weren't exciting.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Replacement quit being an expert and just watch the damn game and enjoy. There's been a bit of everything, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Closed Thread