HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VII: The Not-So Lazy Hazy Crazy Days Of Summer

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2013, 07:36 PM
  #476
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63
 
kudymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 500
Kane growing the mullet... hahaha

kudymen is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 07:42 PM
  #477
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,725
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Some would claim this as a basketball city yet the Sixers have some of the worst attendance numbers in the NBA based off capacity percentage. It's not really their fault though when attendance is almost an issue for every team outside of like 10 or so teams.

Snider made a good move by dumping them and letting some else worry about that while they still pay him money every month for rent.

It's also a good move for STH's so that don't have to buy Sixers tickets on top of Flyers tickets to get center ice seats anymore since Snider doesn't own them.
Oh no doubt that was the smart business move. The Sixers have piss poor attendance, but a lot of that is from the product on the court. They have terrible management and haven't had a real marketable star since Iverson left.

I do think Snider would get back in the NBA if the place was right. Being a successful NBA market is just as much about location as it is talent in most cases (outside of OKC). Unless you're in a major market or a desirable place to live, you're not going to attract the stars that you need to succeed in the star driven NBA. A lot of people thought Virginia Beach could at least be a decent NBA market because it's a pretty damn good place to live that would attract a good amount of free agents.

flyershockey is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 07:51 PM
  #478
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Oh no doubt that was the smart business move. The Sixers have piss poor attendance, but a lot of that is from the product on the court. They have terrible management and haven't had a real marketable star since Iverson left.

I do think Snider would get back in the NBA if the place was right. Being a successful NBA market is just as much about location as it is talent in most cases (outside of OKC). Unless you're in a major market or a desirable place to live, you're not going to attract the stars that you need to succeed in the star driven NBA. A lot of people thought Virginia Beach could at least be a decent NBA market because it's a pretty damn good place to live that would attract a good amount of free agents.
Maybe if he had more years left in the tank but he's just sticking to his true love now. He was always criticized for not giving as much attention to the Sixers compared to the Flyers even when the Sixers were doing well. I believe he was very vocal about how he doesn't like the way the NBA is ran compared to the NHL in the past when he owned both teams.

I just think the way the leagues are headed the NHL would be more lucrative at this point just on the CBA's alone.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:00 PM
  #479
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,725
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Maybe if he had more years left in the tank but he's just sticking to his true love now. He was always criticized for not giving as much attention to the Sixers compared to the Flyers even when the Sixers were doing well. I believe he was very vocal about how he doesn't like the way the NBA is ran compared to the NHL in the past when he owned both teams.

I just think the way the leagues are headed the NHL would be more lucrative at this point just on the CBA's alone.
True enough. The NBA really has turned into a circus with the lack of any sense of parity. It's pretty much unwatchable until the second round of the playoffs.

Btw, does Pierre know it's 2013 and he doesn't have to scream into his mic to be heard?

flyershockey is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 10:07 PM
  #480
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,026
vCash: 955
Based on the ongoing commentary from CBC, Kanye West should have appeared when Bob was awarded the Vezina to proclaim that 'Bobrovsky is great, but Tuukka Rask is the greatest of all-time!'

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 10:28 PM
  #481
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,558
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
True enough. The NBA really has turned into a circus with the lack of any sense of parity. It's pretty much unwatchable until the second round of the playoffs.

Btw, does Pierre know it's 2013 and he doesn't have to scream into his mic to be heard?
In his spot Pierre likely is fighting crowd noise.

As for the NBA, haven't they only had like 9 winners in 35 years? That's a joke.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 01:58 PM
  #482
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,026
vCash: 955
Couture re-ups with the Sharks for 5 years & $30M.

Datsyuk and the Wings agree to a 3 year deal for $22.5M

CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:16 PM
  #483
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers
 
chinatown81592's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Country: China
Posts: 1,013
vCash: 500
Voynov agreed to a 6 year $25 million contract

lisa dillman ‏@reallisa 7m

Quote:
Slava Voynov deal done. Six years, $25 million.

chinatown81592 is online now  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:16 PM
  #484
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,466
vCash: 500
That's a steal at that price. Good going Kings.

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
06-18-2013, 04:14 PM
  #485
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,848
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
That's a steal at that price. Good going Kings.
Is it? I thought it seemed kinda high. Has Voynov really proven that much?

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 04:22 PM
  #486
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Is it? I thought it seemed kinda high. Has Voynov really proven that much?
He had a semi-breakout year with a good playoff run. He's still getting paid off potential though too.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 05:42 PM
  #487
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Is it? I thought it seemed kinda high. Has Voynov really proven that much?
Yes. He was handled correctly from the get go, and has played extremely well for the Kings the last year and a half. He starting shooting more often this year, and has a knack for timely goals. And he's likely to continue to get better.

A very, very good contract for the Kings. How Lombardi was able to swing it is beyond me, but to have a #2 or #3 defenseman for just over $4 million for the next 6 years is brilliant.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 06:00 PM
  #488
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,978
vCash: 5792
Dean Lombardi loves his second contracts. But he didn't hold out for it for Voynov. Telling.


Another guy who Holmgren thought wouldn't be worth having over Steve Eminger

GKJ is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 02:40 PM
  #489
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Yes. He was handled correctly from the get go, and has played extremely well for the Kings the last year and a half. He starting shooting more often this year, and has a knack for timely goals. And he's likely to continue to get better.

A very, very good contract for the Kings. How Lombardi was able to swing it is beyond me, but to have a #2 or #3 defenseman for just over $4 million for the next 6 years is brilliant.
This is a perfect contract for both the Kings and Voynov. He never had a sophomore jinx and his offense has improved. We haven't seen his best play yet.

MsWoof is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 02:45 PM
  #490
Bryz4shiz
Registered User
 
Bryz4shiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alhoa Oe
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Another guy who Holmgren thought wouldn't be worth having over Steve Eminger
But Eminger netted us Carle so you know that was totally worth it

Bryz4shiz is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 07:30 PM
  #491
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,466
vCash: 500
Zuuuus!

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
06-19-2013, 08:01 PM
  #492
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Keith just dove his rear off. Tripped Pev -- then "tripped"

SeanCWombBroom is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 08:55 PM
  #493
GiggityGiggityGoo
Registered User
 
GiggityGiggityGoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 204
vCash: 516
Nice goal by Chicago there. Poor backchecking by Bergeron but you'll never here of it because he's now the best center in the league. Pierre already blamed it on Marchand instead.

Funny that they were praising Chara for his stick swinging defense and hardly said much about Chicago's sweet goal.

GiggityGiggityGoo is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 08:57 PM
  #494
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,558
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggityGiggityGoo View Post
Nice goal by Chicago there. Poor backchecking by Bergeron but you'll never here of it because he's now the best center in the league. Pierre already blamed it on Marchand instead.

Funny that they were praising Chara for his stick swinging defense and hardly said much about Chicago's sweet goal.
I've always found Chara to be overrated recently, but honestly the talent at D in league is pretty shallow compared to what it used to be. He's prone to lapses, sometimes for games at a time.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 09:24 PM
  #495
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,048
vCash: 50
jagr is a bawse

Krishna is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 09:25 PM
  #496
GiggityGiggityGoo
Registered User
 
GiggityGiggityGoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 204
vCash: 516
Crawford's glove is no bueno.

GiggityGiggityGoo is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 09:47 PM
  #497
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,048
vCash: 50
This game is great

Krishna is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 09:48 PM
  #498
The Couturier Effect
Registered User
 
The Couturier Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 3,794
vCash: 500
This is a 2010 game 1 kind of game.

The Couturier Effect is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 09:48 PM
  #499
GiggityGiggityGoo
Registered User
 
GiggityGiggityGoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 204
vCash: 516
Crawford's glove is no bue... wait...

GiggityGiggityGoo is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 09:50 PM
  #500
The Couturier Effect
Registered User
 
The Couturier Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 3,794
vCash: 500
Lucic has had a pretty bad 3rd period.

The Couturier Effect is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.