HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1971 Scotty Bowman Named Coach of the Canadiens

Old
06-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
1971 Scotty Bowman Named Coach of the Canadiens

First there was the issue of the SC winning coach that had to be resolved:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...1104%2C1934798

Then Scotty Bowman was hired:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...=812%2C2327592

A lot of interesting periphial stories on the page as well. Jean Beliveau retires, NHL Entry Draft, value of the Montreal Canadiens.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Interesting. Beliveau "not interested" but Id bet dollars to donuts had he been, job handed to him. Sort of had to feel for Al MacNeil though. I guess wound up in Nova Scotia did he? Eventually leaving the organization, Coaching Atlanta in their last season, then off to Calgary.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:23 PM
JaymzB

Interesting article in their about the draft as well:

-Habs reportedly offered #7, #11, Vachon/Myre plus a Dman for Detroitís #2 (to select Dionne). I knew they had wanted the pick, but interesting to see the rumored offer at the time.
-Detroit says they like Gene Carr, but ultimately drafted Dionne.

Plus, the 2 minute standing ovation for Beliveau at Jarry Park, and Le Gros Bill and Willie Mays meeting at home plate. Nice.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
Plus, the 2 minute standing ovation for Beliveau at Jarry Park, and Le Gros Bill and Willie Mays meeting at home plate. Nice.
Ya, these old papers & stories, even the ad's, talk about a Trip huh?... thanks C58, brilliant job on multiple threads.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:23 PM
mbhhofr

When I was a linesman for the 1959 Memorial Cup between the Winnipeg Braves and the Peterborough Petes, Bowman was the Petes coach and Pollock was the GM.

In the 5th game which also turned out to be the last game, the Braves winning the Cup, Bowman didn't like some calls that the referee made and really started yapping at him. The referee was standing in the middle of the ice facing the Petes' bench watching Bowman ranting and then Bowman put one leg over the boards like he was going to come out onto the ice. My partner and I skated in front of the referee to intercept Bowman in case he did come onto the ice. The referee said to let him come, but Bowman didn't and he was thrown out of the game. Pollock then took over as coach for the rest of the game.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
When I was a linesman for the 1959 Memorial Cup between the Winnipeg Braves and the Peterborough Petes...
Amusing... wasnt Mean Ted Green a member of the Braves, made a name for himself during that season & run for the Memorial Cup? Any early signs of psychotic behaviour perhaps? And Gary Bergman as well if Im not mistaken. Ernie Wakely in goal.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:10 PM
brianscot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Interesting. Beliveau "not interested" but Id bet dollars to donuts had he been, job handed to him. Sort of had to feel for Al MacNeil though. I guess wound up in Nova Scotia did he? Eventually leaving the organization, Coaching Atlanta in their last season, then off to Calgary.
Al Macneil's professionalism and dedication to the Montreal franchise apparently had no bounds. He loses the coaching job after winning a cup and then agrees to ride the AHL buses for another six years coaching Nova Scotia.

It always intrigued me whether Macneil made the choice to put Ken Dryden in net during the 1970-71 playoffs or if the decision came from Pollock.

Then again, if Bowman had been coach in 70-71, would he have trusted a rookie goaltender?

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:39 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Amusing... wasnt Mean Ted Green a member of the Braves, made a name for himself during that season & run for the Memorial Cup? Any early signs of psychotic behaviour perhaps? And Gary Bergman as well if Im not mistaken. Ernie Wakely in goal.
Actually, Ted Green played for the St. Boniface Canadiens during the season. When it came time for the Memorial Cup playoffs, teams were allowed to pick up players from other teams in their league.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2008/05...tory-1959.html

I like to say that Ted Green's mother was tougher than he was. She wasn't a big woman but you knew she was in the stands. During one game she didn't like a penalty that Ted got and while the referee was reporting it, she came out of the stands down to the timekeeper's bench and hit the referee with her purse.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post
... Then again, if Bowman had been coach in 70-71, would he have trusted a rookie goaltender?
Ya, along with Claude Ruel, between he & McNeil, up & down, in & out. I cant remember where I read it otherwise Id link it, but I seem to recall that it was Ruel who recommended Dryden as he'd been playing so well in Nova Scotia. Both of these guys won Stanley Cups in between the Blake & Bowman era's, yet both apparently came up short in the Coaching department. Ruel its been said by various players sort of looked upon as a "substitute teacher", had a problem communicating, tended to be overly emotional. McNeil more or less a "caretaker" however organizationally, combined with Pollock, beyond solid triumvirate. Ruel had a real eye for talent, having to convince Sam to Draft both Robinson & Gainey who looked upon with no small amount of scepticism, so I tend to think that story Id read that it was Ruel selling McNeil & Pollock on Dryden likely true.... as for Bowman going with a rookie? Sure. I think he wouldve listened to Ruel & Pollock. Rookie goalies coming up big in Playoff games not without precedent, so worst case scenario Dryden bombs, in goes Vachon or Myre.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Actually, Ted Green played for the St. Boniface Canadiens during the season. When it came time for the Memorial Cup playoffs, teams were allowed to pick up players from other teams in their league.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2008/05...tory-1959.html

I like to say that Ted Green's mother was tougher than he was. She wasn't a big woman but you knew she was in the stands. During one game she didn't like a penalty that Ted got and while the referee was reporting it, she came out of the stands down to the timekeeper's bench and hit the referee with her purse.
Oh ok, was wondering why I couldnt find anything substantive on Green with that club, pickup for the Memorial Cup run.... and charming huh? Pretty feisty. Gotta admire that, unless your on the receiving end I suppose. Wonder how many TV sets she destroyed through the 60's watching her Teddy Bear there goin Coco Loco through the league huh?

Interesting blog linked as well. Well researched & written.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Canadiens1958

Prior History

Quote:
When I was a linesman for the 1959 Memorial Cup between the Winnipeg Braves and the Peterborough Petes, Bowman was the Petes coach and Pollock was the GM.

In the 5th game which also turned out to be the last game, the Braves winning the Cup, Bowman didn't like some calls that the referee made and really started yapping at him. The referee was standing in the middle of the ice facing the Petes' bench watching Bowman ranting and then Bowman put one leg over the boards like he was going to come out onto the ice. My partner and I skated in front of the referee to intercept Bowman in case he did come onto the ice. The referee said to let him come, but Bowman didn't and he was thrown out of the game. Pollock then took over as coach for the rest of the game.
The Memorial Cup blog is a great contribution. Especially the pre final rounds and tracking the permitted additions.

Len Corriveau was the referee in question. Before going to Peterborough Scotty Bowman was the asst coach with the junior Canadiens or Sam Pollock's right hand man. In the fifties the junior Canadiens, initially, based in Montreal, stradled the Quebec / Ontario border.

Will see if there was a history between Scotty Bowman and Len Corriveau.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:17 PM
thom

Jean was offered 1 million to play for Quebec of wha but after a couples of weeks declined.Henri Richard made anti'-english toward Mcneil which were printed in newspapers in canada.This was during the flq crisis.Mcneil wife never forgave Richard for his comments.Bowman was the ideal hiring he grew up in Quebec and spoke french and english and was considered one of the top young coaches

thom is offline   Reply With Quote