HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 12.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
There's lots of talk about size/toughness and also about drafting the "best player available".

In judging prospects how do you guys rank the skills when evaluating players? Also what skills would you look at and what do you think the terms include?

example:
1. Skating (sub categories could be accelaration, stride, agility, foot speed)
2. Hockey IQ or sense (positioning, vision, anticipation, reading the play)
3. Puck skills (shot, passing, face-offs, playmaking, sniping)
4. Character (aggressiveness, 2 way game, respect, attitude, compete level)
5. Size (height, weight, projected growth)
6. Work ethic (desire, ability to follow routines, how well do they take instruction)

This is all off the top of my head......What would you add/alter? how would you rank personally the importance of these aspects.

I've been reading this thread for the past few months and love some of the comments and posters perspectives and think this draft could be a lot of fun but I'm nervous about drafting just for size. Especially if these players are a few years away.
Skating and hockey IQ are always the first two for me unless there's something else that's really impossible to miss. But even when looking for tough guys, until the late rounds there is a certain level of skating you always need to have. Look at Pribyl - he wasn't physical by any means but he had the size and hands combo people drool about, but he's not even getting a contract because his skating is that bad.

Work ethic is up there, but "character" is slightly overrated - I'd rather gamble on another Kostitsyn than another Philippe Lefebvre.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Cass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
I see this argument every now and then. I think it's baseless. Regardless of when these players make it, size is always going to be an asset. Now, tomorrow, next season, in 3 years and as long as hockey is played.
I agree it's important.
I think players that add sandpaper and grit are very important as well as those that don't play on the outside. My point is how important should it be when picking the BPA.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:33 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Su-Su-SuperFriends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
...Kostitsyn...
Never mention that name in draft talk again!!...

Old
06-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
By definition a power forward can't be a small forward. Plus, if Mackinnon tries to play that style in the pros he'll spend more time hurt than healthy. Crosby was similar and same size and nobody calls him a power forward.
I understand what you mean, and agree to some extent, but Mac plays like a PF.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Cass

Quote:
Skating and hockey IQ are always the first two for me unless there's something else that's really impossible to miss. But even when looking for tough guys, until the late rounds there is a certain level of skating you always need to have. Look at Pribyl - he wasn't physical by any means but he had the size and hands combo people drool about, but he's not even getting a contract because his skating is that bad.

Work ethic is up there, but "character" is slightly overrated - I'd rather gamble on another Kostitsyn than another Philippe Lefebvre.
I agree. Those are two of the most important to me as well.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:52 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
By definition a power forward can't be a small forward. Plus, if Mackinnon tries to play that style in the pros he'll spend more time hurt than healthy. Crosby was similar and same size and nobody calls him a power forward.
Not so sure about that, but Mac isn't small anyway. Power, by definition, is speed X mass, no?

One of the greatest strengths, perhaps the greatest strength, of MacKinnons game is his combo of speed and strength.

And if you'll notice above my list I state that there are different definitions of a power forward, but Mac clearly falls under at least 1 definition of it.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
That confirms it's some kind of ploy. Nobody calls the media to tell them who they will draft...sounds like fluff.
You're really refusing to believe anyone would even consider taking anyone except Jones at #1, aren't you? It's getting a little weird...

Old
06-19-2013, 10:09 PM
yoteshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For whoever cares, though I know that most if not everybody will be on TSN......RDS will show the first 2 rounds, and will shift the rest to RDS Info.

Seems that Stéphane Leroux will do more commentary than he usually does as while being the only guy who knows somewhat the junior prospects, RDS has that brillant idea to only send him to do interviews. Seems that he will do both this year. Not sure how they'll manage that but we will see.
Finally! And good for him too.

We'll still have to deal with Gaston Therrien though

Old
06-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteshot View Post
Finally! And good for him too.

We'll still have to deal with Gaston Therrien though
Surely, and maybe with Flynn as well.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
With small/young junior d-men, he won't do that to 220lbs NHL defensemen...he's strong FOR HIS SIZE but not compared to guys like Bernier Latendresse Jacques at the same age.
I disagree, I think he will be an effective "power" forward in the Mike Richards/Landeskog mould. I think he will be able to protect the puck down low and outwork D men physically and take the biscuit to the net.

The term "power forward" is being thrown around more than it used to....and there are more & more power players that aren't huge (mostly because the game has gotten so fast).

Old
06-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
For whoever cares, though I know that most if not everybody will be on TSN......RDS will show the first 2 rounds, and will shift the rest to RDS Info.

Seems that Stéphane Leroux will do more commentary than he usually does as while being the only guy who knows somewhat the junior prospects, RDS has that brillant idea to only send him to do interviews. Seems that he will do both this year. Not sure how they'll manage that but we will see.
that's great news....is it confirmed that tsn will cover the whole draft?

Old
MonkeyBusiness

Don't know how you guys manage to watch it on RDS, I always watch it on TSN. Much better coverage

Old
MJN79

Any chance of Morin falling to Habs at 26? Would you guys be happy or disappointed if that was the case.

As far as McCarron goes, is there a realistic chance he still is available at 34?

If both were picked by the Habs at 26 and 34, would you consider them awesome picks or not?

By the way, I love this thread, the amount of knowledge and information shared is great.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:23 PM
MJN79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Don't know how you guys manage to watch it on RDS, I always watch it on TSN. Much better coverage
Especially if Gaston Therrien is there, no idea how this guy gets that much airtime.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Actually, I watch it on RDS for one reason and call me crazy....I hate to see how connected MacKenzie is so he always ends up giving the prospect name before he's being officially called out....I just don't like it. I prefer the "ignorance" of RDS... I do like Leroux on RDS. And I PVR TSN so that I get the insightful comments right after.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN79 View Post
Any chance of Morin falling to Habs at 26? Would you guys be happy or disappointed if that was the case.

As far as McCarron goes, is there a realistic chance he still is available at 34?

If both were picked by the Habs at 26 and 34, would you consider them awesome picks or not?

By the way, I love this thread, the amount of knowledge and information shared is great.
Morin is unlikely but not impossible. I would be happy with McCarron at 34 and I think that he will still be there. He is going to play either in the OHL or College next year and he is a big PWF who can be a home run pick.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Actually, I watch it on RDS for one reason and call me crazy....I hate to see how connected MacKenzie is so he always ends up giving the prospect name before he's being officially called out....I just don't like it. I prefer the "ignorance" of RDS... I do like Leroux on RDS. And I PVR TSN so that I get the insightful comments right after.
I've never seen him call the name. Though, he does tend to break trades before Bettman can say them.

Does anyone know the estimated time this will take ? 5, 6 hours for the draft ?

Old
06-19-2013, 10:40 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Su-Su-SuperFriends

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN79 View Post

There is a chance Morin falls to #25 (we pick 25, not 26 ), but it's not great; with 6'6 Tinordi already here, though, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we got Erne, Rychel, Zykov, Mantha, etc. instead...and chances are pretty good McCarron's still around for #34 or #36; he's projected to go around there or even a bit later...I personally love what McCarron could bring; his hands & balance keep progressing like they are and he'll be an absolute beast...picture a bigger Corey Perry...yummy...

Old
06-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I've never seen him call the name. Though, he does tend to break trades before Bettman can say them.

Does anyone know the estimated time this will take ? 5, 6 hours for the draft ?
I tell you, I think last year or the year before, he had the the 10 or the first 15 names...I hated it. As far as estimated time...unless they change the formula because it's one day, it takes 3 hours for the 1st round. And when it starts at 9AM the day after for the rest, didn't it take at least 4 hours to complete at least? So I'm going with a minimum of 7 hours. A 3-10 show.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Theo Fleury? Okay he wasn't a "pure" power forward but he was plenty physical.

Obviously size makes it a lot easier to play a power forward style but you can't just look at someone's height and determine that, you have to look at their frame too.

I wouldn't call Mackinnon a power forward either though.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:44 PM
habs76sk
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
There is a chance Morin falls to #25 (we pick 25, not 26 ), but it's not great; with 6'6 Tinordi already here, though, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we got Erne, Rychel, Zykov, etc. instead...and chances are pretty good McCarron's still around for #34 or #36; he's projected to go around there or even a bit later...I personally love what McCarron could bring; his hands & balance keep progressing like they are and he'll be an absolute beast...picture a bigger Corey Perry...yummy...
I think you are either underestimating a former rocket richard winner or overestimating Mccarron..

Old
06-19-2013, 10:47 PM
habs76sk
Rookie User

Quote:
Theo Fleury? Okay he wasn't a "pure" power forward but he was plenty physical.

Obviously size makes it a lot easier to play a power forward style but you can't just look at someone's height and determine that, you have to look at their frame too.

I wouldn't call Mackinnon a power forward either though.
Mackinnon is like crosby.

He is not a "power forward" in the sense that he doesn't hit everything that moves.. He is in the sense that he is dam hard to knock off the pick and he drives the net very hard.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:54 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Su-Su-SuperFriends

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs76sk View Post
I think you are either underestimating a former rocket richard winner or overestimating Mccarron..
...you missed the "his hands and balance keep progressing like they are and..." part??...he has the tools to be a power forward to reckon with, as long as he keeps progressing...no overestimating, more like hoping...

Old
06-19-2013, 11:17 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Do we have the schedule for Draft day?

Old
06-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote: