HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Around the League #6: Dat Hertl

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 10:31 PM
s7ark

vCash: 500
Seabrook ends it. Series at 2-2.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:32 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
An incredible series, just as I predicted.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Philly85
Moody'

This is going 7, stating the obvious of course. Nice shot by Seabrook. Huge game by the big guns for the Hawks. I called Chicago in 7... I'm losing hope big time but we'll see...

Old
06-19-2013, 10:35 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

And the pendulum of momentum swings back to the Hawks. This series is shaping up to be an absolute classic. Looks like a Game 7 OT is inevitable, wouldn't that be something.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
tbh this is easily the worst game of the series from a coaching standpoint. An unending series of indescribable mistakes. Lets look at a few.

Bruins give up a lethal 2 on 1, No second bruin is in sight. 4 Bruins are out to lunch on the play allowing not only the first shot, but a player to come out from behind the net and score on his second chance. Rask was furious and had every right to be. As in Where the hell is my team?

Another, Lucic with simply the worst giveaway, in ownzone, while last man back, handing the puck right to Patrick Kane. Kane miraculously didn't score but the hairbrained Lucic play(he looks confused out there) resulted in a GA on the ensuing 5 on 3.

Heres another Bruin miscue that hardly anybody will notice. Seidenberg makes a pinch, a well advised one to maintain puck support and pressure in Chicago end as Crawford is suddenly looking shaky on everything. Then Krejci, right beside his pinching D somehow figures its a good idea to make a blind pass to the slot which of course Hawks turn into an oddman break.

So many mistakes in this game. OT won't last long at this rate. Next indescribable screw up loses.
Worst from a coaching stand point, but as a fan... I don't care. As good as game one and as good as any other game in the playoffs.

You were crapping on Toews big time early, he scored a big goal and was key on the game winner. Guy has had a bad playoffs offensively, but he was good out there tonight.

Heck of a series right now. Tonight the Blackhawks best players were better than the Bruins best players. It's rare you lose a game when that happens.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:44 PM
harpoon

Good game. As a fan I want to see this type of game rather than the 2-1 games that seem so common in today's NHL.

Gotta give some credit to the Hawks surviving some shaky goaltending. Patrick Sharp is one hell of a player.

Best play for me was the never die cycle between Jagr and Bergeron and the way they gradually worked the puck perfectly into a shooting area. Lightning quick release and no mistake by Bergeron when Jagr made the final pass. On a side note, Jagr is looking tired and not capable of making the kind of plays he used to make at will in the past. But I have to wonder how long he can be held off the score sheet. I'm thinking he has some some heroics left in him.

Go Bruins.

And wow ... RIP James Gandolfini. Huge fan.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Good game. As a fan I want to see this type of game rather than the 2-1 games that seem so common in today's NHL.

Gotta give some credit to the Hawks surviving some shaky goaltending. Patrick Sharp is one hell of a player. For his age I think he's playing very well and doing the best he can, without question.

Best play for me was the never die cycle between Jagr and Bergeron and the way they gradually worked the puck perfectly into a shooting area. Lightning quick release and no mistake by Bergeron when Jagr made the final pass. On a side note, Jagr is looking tired and not capable of making the kind of plays he used to make at will in the past. But I have to wonder how long he can be held off the score sheet. I'm thinking he has some some heroics left in him.

Go Bruins.

And wow ... RIP James Gandolfini. Huge fan.
He's 40 years old man, what do you expect? Not to mention, he's made some incredible plays, some incredible passes on occasion even though he's not scoring goals. I think many people are recognizing this.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

There's a reason Jagr is playing top 6 and Seguin isn't.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:37 PM
N5991989
Sad Oilers Fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Better beard.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:55 PM
harpoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
He's 40 years old man, what do you expect?
My expectations aren't the point. I wonder what the Bruins management expectations were for playoff goals for Jagr. Somehow I think zero wasn't the number they had in mind. Anyway, I think you're looking for an argument where there isn't one. My post above was mostly praising Jagr and suggesting that in spite of what has at times been a sluggish performance I can see him scoring a huge goal yet.

Quote:
Not to mention, he's made some incredible plays, some incredible passes on occasion even though he's not scoring goals. I think many people are recognizing this.
Yes. Kind of like the play I highlighted in my post above. Again, I wonder why you are reading my post so negatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yes. He's not soft.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

About the only way Bruins were going to lose this game is by forgetting what got them here. Absolutely hopeless performance by the Bruins. The one and only thing you don't do with the Hawks is trade chances with them.

If Bruins lose this series its because they screwed up in this game. Several uncharacteristic mistakes because too Many Bruins went off the chart and were adlib today. Not a team.

If Bruins leaned on the Hawks and play airtight hockey like they did in game 3 this series is over.

That said Bruins deserved to lose.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-20-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old
06-20-2013, 12:05 AM
harpoon

Quote:
Absolutely hopeless performance by the Bruins. The one and only thing you don't do with the Hawks is trade chances with them.
Ironically, the woeful Oilers have been able to beat the Hawks handily and multiple times in recent memory by employing just that strategy.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Ironically, the woeful Oilers have been able to beat the Hawks handily and multiple times in recent memory by employing just that strategy.
I know, but I can't believe that the Hawks were bringing anything close to the game they are now when that occurred.

Do you dispute that an airtight team effort and Bruins continuing to play their checking system would not have worked tonight. Bruins had gone several home games without giving up a single goal before tonight.

Claude Julian is going to be tearing strips off the entire Bruins club after this fiasco. The play by Lucic alone is the single worst turnover I've seen all year on an incomprehensible brain fart.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
And the pendulum of momentum swings back to the Hawks. This series is shaping up to be an absolute classic. Looks like a Game 7 OT is inevitable, wouldn't that be something.
Yet a constant in this series is Hawks starting games well and ending poorly. Bruins, despite playing from behind all night were the better team in the 3rd, and in OT, and had been taking the game over. Bruins had 5 chances to win it in OT before Hawks scored the winner off a routine point shot.

Being that the Bruins are outlasting the Hawks in every game of the series I see this going the Bruins way. We've seen the Bruins best in only one game in the series so far. We know that the Bruins can entirely shut the hawks down when the Bruins play their game.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
My expectations aren't the point. I wonder what the Bruins management expectations were for playoff goals for Jagr. Somehow I think zero wasn't the number they had in mind. Anyway, I think you're looking for an argument where there isn't one. My post above was mostly praising Jagr and suggesting that in spite of what has at times been a sluggish performance I can see him scoring a huge goal yet.

Yes. Kind of like the play I highlighted in my post above. Again, I wonder why you are reading my post so negatively.

Yes. He's not soft.
I wasn't trying to honestly. I'm not even cheering for Boston. I simply found your choice of words to be an accusation of sorts, when common sense dictates the man is old, worn down and has a lot of miles on him so therefor he won't be as fast or as "dominant". I think it's fairly obvious, that's all. You're probably right that BOS management was hoping for some more goal scoring from him, but they didn't give up much and as I said I think he's playing well, to me it's actually quite remarkable. But he's a generational talent.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:19 AM
harpoon

Quote:
I know, but I can't believe that the Hawks were bringing anything close to the game they are now when that occurred.
Oh absolutely. And trading chances is a game that requires the player to finish on the chance. A couple of misses by one side and the score can get lopsided fairly quickly. Plus we had Gagner so it isn't really fair to compare ....

Quote:
Do you dispute that an airtight team effort and Bruins continuing to play their checking system would not have worked tonight. Bruins had gone several home games without giving up a single goal before tonight.
Maybe they were a bit guilty of wanting to give the home fans a show tonight? Not likely they would be that stupid I guess. But they did go down 3-1 which probably forced them into opening it up a bit.

Quote:
The play by Lucic alone is the single worst turnover I've seen all year on an incomprehensible brain fart.
Didn't see it. I was only able to start watching midway through the game. Still, Lucic has been good imo, and I'm not one to forget all the good plays a player makes and focus only on the few giveaways.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:27 AM
harpoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I wasn't trying to honestly. I'm not even cheering for Boston. I simply found your choice of words to be an accusation of sorts
No accusation intended I assure you. Jagr has been one of my favorite players for a long time.
Quote:
when common sense dictates the man is old, worn down and has a lot of miles on him so therefor he won't be as fast or as "dominant". I think it's fairly obvious, that's all.
Yeah. My comment was probably needless, but I'm such a fan of this player that I get excited out of force of habit everytime he gets the puck on his stick in the corner or along the wall. I'm expecting a vintage Jagr move to the front and its just not happening for him. I don't think its all on his age. I think he's getting some bad rolls and bounces right now. I'm going to go ahead and predict that he scores a big goal before this series is over.
Quote:
You're probably right that BOS management was hoping for some more goal scoring from him, but they didn't give up much and as I said I think he's playing well, to me it's actually quite remarkable. But he's a generational talent.
That he is. And while he may not have been all that the B's were secretly hoping, I agree with you that they can't be too disappointed. He's eating big minutes and wearing opponents down with his board work. Wonder what happens to him next season?

Old
06-20-2013, 08:25 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
A bit of a LOL. While these guys do have a really sweet gig, it must suck to miss x-mas every year.

Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN 3m
When people have Christmas at home, is it true that they put up a tree and put gifts under it? I'll have to read up about this. #2015WJC

Old
06-20-2013, 08:26 AM
joestevens29

Seeing as I watched anchorman the other day yesterday's game had me wondering if the d-men and goalies were thinking about this

Old
06-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Tw0Shoes

Chara looked bad last night. Slow.
Hawks played a speed game and the Bruins couldn't keep up. They're lucky that crawford couldn't catch a thing.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:57 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
Chara looked bad last night. Slow.
Hawks played a speed game and the Bruins couldn't keep up. They're lucky that crawford couldn't catch a thing.
Chara has looked slow and banged up all playoffs. Kessel bumped into him in round one and he went flying.

But when you have that much reach and smarts you can play slow and banged up and still be effective.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:20 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

So, I take it someone told Corey Crawford he's actually Corey Crawford and not Ed Belfour...

But what happened to Tuukka Rask?!

Old
06-20-2013, 12:23 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
So, I take it someone told Corey Crawford he's actually Corey Crawford and not Ed Belfour...

Think it was just one of those games both goalies just want to forget and re-group.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post

The worst game from the Boston Bruins since the Leafs series happened. Bruins completely abandoned Rask for most of the night. Both goalies were rattled in the cage by nights end. Crawford looked really shaky by the 3rd but then rebounded in the OT to help his club get the W.

Still though, the Bruins have obviously outed the glove hand and are beating Crawford there consistently. For the Hawks the prescribed medicine is as many players in front as possible and bumping and impeding Rask as much as possible.

The way I look at is is two very bright teams, orgs, groups of players learning on the job and figuring out more ways to produce.

Although I expect a tighter game in Chicago.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:43 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Think it was just one of those games both goalies just want to forget and re-group.
Quote:
The worst game from the Boston Bruins since the Leafs series happened. Bruins completely abandoned Rask for most of the night. Both goalies were rattled in the cage by nights end. Crawford looked really shaky by the 3rd but then rebounded in the OT to help his club get the W.

Still though, the Bruins have obviously outed the glove hand and are beating Crawford there consistently. For the Hawks the prescribed medicine is as many players in front as possible and bumping and impeding Rask as much as possible.

The way I look at is is two very bright teams, orgs, groups of players learning on the job and figuring out more ways to produce.

Although I expect a tighter game in Chicago.
Yeah, missed most of the game, was at a party, only got updated scores and was being more and more shocked as the periods went on.

Whatever it is, I'm happy the score's high. Puts this new version of crush and grab in doubt, just a little.

And I agree. It's a bad idea to go chance for chance with the Blackhawks.

Closed Thread