HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Discussion Thread - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 10:00 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
I'll be honest and say that I think our best scenario is anything that involves getting Barkov. Need a player like that to win championships
Agreed. If Jones is off the board, Barkov fills our biggest organizational need and center depth happens to be the clear recipe for success among SC contending teams. Drouin may be my favorite prospect in the draft, but he's more of a luxury than a need, so it just depends on what our scouting staff thinks is BPA.

We know Mac will 100% gone by the time we pick, so in order of need my list goes:

1. Jones
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. Nichushkin

I don't think we're considering anyone else aside from those 4.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:07 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Agreed. If Jones is off the board, Barkov fills our biggest organizational need and center depth happens to be the clear recipe for success among SC contending teams. Drouin may be my favorite prospect in the draft, but he's more of a luxury than a need, so it just depends on what our scouting staff thinks is BPA.

We know Mac will 100% gone by the time we pick, so in order of need my list goes:

1. Jones
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. Nichushkin

I will love and tolerate the hell out of any of the those

Old
06-19-2013, 10:12 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
I will love and tolerate the hell out of any of the those
As I said before, if Jones is off the board, the logical choice is Barkov. So many teams below us are desperate for a center with his size and high two-way potential. Ruining the draft plans for teams like Nashville, Calgary etc. is another benefit in selecting Barkov, but not a recommended strategy. Fortunately for us, center is also a need .

Old
06-19-2013, 10:19 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Imagine this as our roster for next year:

St.Louis-Stamkos-Connolly
Killorn-Barkov-Purcell
Palat-Lecavalier-Panik
Labrie-Thompson-Crombeen
Pyatt

Hedman-Hjalmarsson
Carle-Salo
Aulie-Gudas

Bishop
Lindback

We could then package TJ, Pouliot + for a defenseman like Hjalmarsson considering Chicago have been looking for a 2C for quite some time.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Putting Barkov into that kind of role starting out is going to ruin his development. IF we pick him (we should still take whichever of the Big 3 falls), give him a year in the AHL to get used to the NA game and grow a bit more without having to take faceoffs against Bergeron and Datsyuk.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:51 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Putting Barkov into that kind of role starting out is going to ruin his development. IF we pick him (we should still take whichever of the Big 3 falls), give him a year in the AHL to get used to the NA game and grow a bit more without having to take faceoffs against Bergeron and Datsyuk.
Another benefit to drafting Barkov or Nichushkin is that they can play in the AHL right away, though the latter claimed that he would just go back to the KHL if he didn't make the NHL line-up.

I do agree with you that it is likely more beneficial for Barkov to have one more season of development, but there is something to be said about many scouts claiming all of the top 5 to technically be NHL-ready. That's what makes our draft position so intriguing - not only are we potentially getting a franchise player, but possibly a NHL-ready one at that.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:23 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Imagine this as our roster for next year:

St.Louis-Stamkos-Connolly
Killorn-Barkov-Purcell
Palat-Lecavalier-Panik
Labrie-Thompson-Crombeen
Pyatt

Hedman-Hjalmarsson
Carle-Salo
Aulie-Gudas

Bishop
Lindback

We could then package TJ, Pouliot + for a defenseman like Hjalmarsson considering Chicago have been looking for a 2C for quite some time.
Barkov wouldn't take over the 2C spot like that and Johnson would be centering that 3rd line. Barkov would be on the top-2 lines in the AHL.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Cigar City

Quote:

1. Jones
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. Nichushkin

And now you've gone to the Bark side on me...

Old
06-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Barkov wouldn't take over the 2C spot like that and Johnson would be centering that 3rd line. Barkov would be on the top-2 lines in the AHL.
Agreed.

Although I have to admit, I'm starting to kind of come around to the Barkov pick. I still prefer Drouin, but Barkov would definitely fill an organizational void.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:39 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar City View Post
And now you've gone to the Bark side on me...

If my avatar and custom user title were not obvious indicators of who I want Tampa to draft, then I don't know what would be.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:47 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Quote:

If my avatar and custom user title were not obvious indicators of who I want Tampa to draft, then I don't know what would be.

Copycat. I made that meme damn it.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:52 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
Copycat. I made that meme damn it.

Last edited by The Wyzerhood: 06-20-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old
06-20-2013, 01:03 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Agreed.

Although I have to admit, I'm starting to kind of come around to the Barkov pick. I still prefer Drouin, but Barkov would definitely fill an organizational void.
If we pick either Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov, or Nichuskin(my personal order) I will be thrilled. All 5 of those players have the tools to be all-stars and franchise players for years to come. The thing that interests me most about Barkov and Nichuskin though is that they're both tall(6'2" and 6'3" respectively) and they're both heavy for a forward in their draft year(both ~205lbs). Both of them could step into the NHL if need be and it would be harder to push them around than Drouin or MacKinnon. It also goes good with Barkov's tag of being a power forward/2-way forward.

Old
06-20-2013, 05:14 AM
ikelechien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Well done, only things I disagree is your lineup (at least if this should be for next year) and Ohlund will never play again so you could just leave him out and I don't like the top10 prospects. Right now, the HF top20 is the best version. At least up to the point boltprospects.com reveals his summer edition, which is always the best source and ranking IMO.

On a side note Namestnikov is spelled with an T and Kucherov wasn't the 148 overall pick

But after all really great work. And I like your picks.
Gee, it is usually his first name I get wrong, I keep wanting to call him Vladimir. Got to watch him by accident on Tuesday when the Crunch lost the AHL Championship to Grand Rapids (Detroit's farm team). He was one of the better forwards for the Crunch. However, it was the D that stole the show for the Crunch, Barberio and a guy that I was not familiar with before, the 6'8, 225 lb Andrej Sustr, +11 in 18 playoff games - a monster of a shot, mobile for an ogre sized defenseman - played college hockey at Nebraska-Omaha and signed March 21st as a free agent, I guess. Played two games for the Lightning. My first viewing of him, if he continues to play like he did on Tuesday, wow, U got yourself a real find.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:54 AM
sillystring

Quote:
Barkov has said in finish media that he will not play next season in ahl. It is Tappara or NHL for him.
If Tampa is drafting him he will probably get the 9 games and go back to sm-liiga.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:39 AM
2 Weekes Notice

My draft board (accounting for MacK going top 2) is:

1. Jones
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. Trade/package for a top-pair D-man
5. Trade down (ALL the Calgary picks???)
. Nichushkin

Unlike Lil Wayne, I'm not about that chush.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:33 AM
LightningStrikes

Anywhere you look people want size, speed and grit but for some reason HFB/TB doesn't want Nichushkin.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:56 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Anywhere you look people want size, speed and grit but for some reason HFB/TB doesn't want Nichushkin.
I think it's more that no one wants a winger, and if they are to go for a winger, they'd prefer one with sublime skill, vision and you know, is rated higher by every scouting bureau and is one of the most decorated CHL prospects to ever enter a draft.

Nichushkin is at the bottom of my list too on who I'd want on Tampa in the top 5. I'd be able to live with it, but I'm confident he's the wrong pick of the 5 at 3rd overall.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:15 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Possible character issues aside (bombing the combine, interviews, etc), I just don't think he's an organizational fit whatsoever. From what I've seen he doesn't really pass. He doesn't make his teammates better. On a team devoid of offense he might be a fit because he can be offense by himself, but we already have the best goalscorer in the game. So assuming all players are close/even in talent I'd rather add:

Defense to...improve a terrible defense (Jones)
2-way Center to make a team harder to play against (Barkov)
Playmaker to complement a franchise player (Drouin)

than

Goalscorer to ignite a stagnant offense (Nichushkin)

I tried to talk myself into the idea of drafting him but I just can't. Too many red flags and the worst org. fit out of any of those 4 remaining players.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:30 AM
NHLeitner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
Goalscorer to ignite a stagnant offense (Nichushkin)
Hellooooooooooooo Calgary!

ALTHOUGH! If Carolina doesn't trade down, I rather like the thought of not having to play against a second line of Skinner-Staal II-Nichushkin in like 2 years....

Old
06-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Pontius Palat
Liam Neeson's mentor

For me it's

1. Mackinnon
2. Drouin
3/4. Barkov/Jones
5. Murray + CLB 1st

1076. Grabovski + Komisarek
1077. Nichushkin

Old
06-20-2013, 10:46 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLeitner View Post
Hellooooooooooooo Calgary!

ALTHOUGH! If Carolina doesn't trade down, I rather like the thought of not having to play against a second line of Skinner-Staal II-Nichushkin in like 2 years....
Well, lucky us, we don't have to play against Carolina any more than we'll play against Vancouver or Anaheim.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:11 AM
AllAbout813

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
My draft board (accounting for MacK going top 2) is:

1. Jones
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. Trade/package for a top-pair D-man
5. Trade down (ALL the Calgary picks???)
. Nichushkin

Unlike Lil Wayne, I'm not about that chush.
Lmao

I'd take Jones all day if he manages to fall to us. As others have said that's two elite defenders Hedman-Jones. Would be so awesome to have those two on the same squad. But if he's not there, I say we go Drouin. I totally understand wanting another elite center but we all know how frustrating a scoring slump is and with Drouin it will minimize those greatly. Once St. Louis retires, we need someone to fill that role. That role to me is more important than another center behind Stamkos. Imagine our team with Patrick Kane, that's what most say Drouin has potential to become. It'd be crazy to me not to take that kind of player.

I want to freeze myself (cartman style) until draft day because I can't take this wait anymore. It's literally killing me.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:28 PM
HoseEmDown

I don't get everyone saying Barkov fits an organizational need. We have 2 elite centers already and a few solid prospects in the pipe. If we buy out Vinny next year then yes we would need a replacement but that's not guaranteed. Namestnikov if he continues to develope can be a solid 2C, Johnson a solid 3, Paquette looks like he can be a good pest and potential shut down player. We don't have any top 6 LW's in the system, Palat can potentially be a 2nd line winger but great 3rd. Drouin and Nish would be our best LW right away not just best prospects. We obviously need another top D but I don't see Jones being there at 3, so either LW would work for me.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:31 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Why would Joe Sakic say that if the Colorado Avalanche keep the first overall pick in the NHL Draft, they are leaning towards passing on defenceman Seth Jones?

Bob McKenzie:
"There are two schools of thought out there on Sakic's comments. No. 1 is maybe it's a sincere and honest declaration in that quite frankly, they don't have the Denver kid who grew up there who has a high profile name because he's Popeye Jones' son. They don't have him ahead of any of the forwards that are available and therefore they want to start cushioning the blow and don't want it to be a big backlash if, all of a sudden, they surprise everybody on draft day by taking Nathan MacKinnon or Jonathan Drouin.

The flip side is, there's some people out there who thinks it's posturing; that Sakic is merely saying this because he believes the Florida Panthers or the Tampa Bay Lightning really want MacKinnon or Drouin. And if they think that those players are going to be gone to Denver with the number one pick, they might offer something. I don't believe that. I think the Panthers are going to sit there and say 'we're content to sit in the number two slot and take whoever's there according to our rankings.'"
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425894

Closed Thread