[Millions] Cammy wants out?

Old
06-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

vCash: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
With the new lottery system, its foolish to tank. The quicker you can turn things around the better
That's only really true if there's one elite player and then it drops off.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Noori

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Sure, but keep a sick bag handy.

Bärtschi - Backlund - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Nichushkin
Um...
Bouma - Knight - Nemisz
McGrattan - Reinhart - Jackman

Giordano - Butler
Wideman - Brodie
Cundari - Smith

Ramo/Berra/MacDonald

I miss anyone?
Horak and Byron would slot in before Nemisz. Jones is also probably a better fit for the fourth line / extra man than Reinhart, who should develop his offensive game in the AHL.

Bartschi - Backlund - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Nichushkin
Byron - Knight - Horak
Bouma - Jones - McGrattan

Jackman (13th forward)
Rieinhart, Granlund, Hanowski, Nemisz (callups)

Giordano - Butler
Wideman - Brodie
Cundari - Smith

Breen, Ramage, Wotherspoon (callups)

Ramo/MacDonalad/Berra

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Jones will likely not be with the Flames. He was only recalled when there was no choice. I expect him to be loaned somewhere and not even be in Abbotsford.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Jones will likely not be with the Flames. He was only recalled when there was no choice. I expect him to be loaned somewhere and not even be in Abbotsford.
I expect him to be given a chance in training camp. We are kind of thin on fourth line centres, and he can do it. Last year was awful, but the year before he showed that he had real value.

Remember, Jones is one of Feaster's 'smart pickups.' He probably would rather he stays.

Also, is it not a little presumptuous to assume that we get no roster players out of any of those trades? I think it would be unlikely for Feaster to trade away that many NHLers and not receive any back to plug the holes.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
I expect him to be given a chance in training camp. We are kind of thin on fourth line centres, and he can do it. Last year was awful, but the year before he showed that he had real value.

Remember, Jones is one of Feaster's 'smart pickups.' He probably would rather he stays.

Also, is it not a little presumptuous to assume that we get no roster players out of any of those trades? I think it would be unlikely for Feaster to trade away that many NHLers and not receive any back to plug the holes.
Jones is a borderline NHLer who clearly made the coaching staff not want to play him. There are the guys we need to get rid of. The Flames are much better off trying to trade for Konopka or trying to sign a 4th line UFA, or hell even Bouma at center is preferable to Jones being in Calgary next year.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Noori

Quote:
Beggars can't be choosers. Jones on the 4th line or as the 13th forward is a much better option than letting Reinhart or Hanowski stagnate on the 4th line. At the very least, he should be kept in the AHL as a depth player.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Beggars can't be choosers. Jones on the 4th line or as the 13th forward is a much better option than letting Reinhart or Hanowski stagnate on the 4th line. At the very least, he should be kept in the AHL as a depth player.
I agree. AH, if we sign someone I'm all for it, but I don't think it helps our team to hold a grudge against a player. If Jones comes into training camp and earns back his spot, then is it not in our best interest to keep him?

Old
06-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
I agree. AH, if we sign someone I'm all for it, but I don't think it helps our team to hold a grudge against a player. If Jones comes into training camp and earns back his spot, then is it not in our best interest to keep him?
It`s not in the best interest of anyone to keep him. If he isn`t going to do as asked. Which is clearly why he was benched and demoted.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:58 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 500
Quote:
With the new lottery system, its foolish to tank. The quicker you can turn things around the better
If even we didnt win the lottery next year we get second choice of Nylander, Reinhart or Ekblad.

2nd overall is still a great player. Lets just hope we win the Lottery and get Mcdavid

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
It`s not in the best interest of anyone to keep him. If he isn`t going to do as asked. Which is clearly why he was benched and demoted.
Sorry, but I simply don't understand this attitude. I believe it is in our best interest to give him a chance in the preseason. Two things result:

1) He performs like he did a couple of years ago and we keep him on the roster as fourth line centre. Nobody's development is hampered and he helps our team. This is positive.

2) He performs like he did last year, and we trade him or send him away somewhere. We bring someone in to replace him. This isn't positive or negative, so I'll call it a break even.

Way I see it, the average of the two possible outcomes weighted by their probability is still positive. Hence I would argue that we should have him come out to camp.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
Quote:
Horak and Byron would slot in before Nemisz. Jones is also probably a better fit for the fourth line / extra man than Reinhart, who should develop his offensive game in the AHL.
I think a 100% healthy Nemisz makes the team next season in the bottom six, call it a hunch.

Still, the takeaway point is without Tangs, Squid, and Stempniak, the team is even worse.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:30 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 862
Quote:
I think a 100% healthy Nemisz makes the team next season in the bottom six, call it a hunch.

Still, the takeaway point is without Tangs, Squid, and Stempniak, the team is even worse.
Thats if Nemisz is even qualified, I think he is as good as gone

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Sorry, but I simply don't understand this attitude. I believe it is in our best interest to give him a chance in the preseason. Two things result:

1) He performs like he did a couple of years ago and we keep him on the roster as fourth line centre. Nobody's development is hampered and he helps our team. This is positive.

2) He performs like he did last year, and we trade him or send him away somewhere. We bring someone in to replace him. This isn't positive or negative, so I'll call it a break even.

Way I see it, the average of the two possible outcomes weighted by their probability is still positive. Hence I would argue that we should have him come out to camp.
I do not like Blair Jones.

He is not a good hockey player. Even when he was good, he wasn`t.

I would prefer ANYTHING to him being on this team.

I would personally would be fine with a compliance buyout wasted on him just to get him away from this team.

That`s all you need to understand about my views.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Wasn't that addressed in the season ticket holder meeting?

Old
06-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
I do not like Blair Jones.

He is not a good hockey player. Even when he was good, he wasn`t.

I would prefer ANYTHING to him being on this team.

I would personally would be fine with a compliance buyout wasted on him just to get him away from this team.

That`s all you need to understand about my views.
Right, but I'm not sure how not liking a player lends itself to objective analysis. I don't like losing. I would rather win with anyone on this team than lose.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Feaster stated at the season ticket holder meeting he would be qualified.

Quite frankly not qualifying him would be stupid and poor asset management.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:39 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:

Without Tangs and Stemps yes. But that doesn't include what we get in return if we get a player like Michalek for Tanguay and get a player like Booth for Stemps then I think we are better off.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Noori

Quote:

We'd be getting players in return as well; it wouldn't be purely for picks. And all trading them does is ensure that instead of 26th/27th worst in the league, we'll be dead last and be guaranteed Ekblaad/Reinhart.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
We'd be getting players in return as well; it wouldn't be purely for picks. And all trading them does is ensure that instead of 26th/27th worst in the league, we'll be dead last and be guaranteed Ekblaad/Reinhart.
Nothing is guaranteed.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:02 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Nothing is guaranteed.
Agreed if we move Tangs, Stemps, Cammy along with Kipper retiring we have over 35 million cap space you can expect us to throw mad money at Horton,Bickell,Clowe etc to replace the lost players.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:11 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Yeah. Letang may have had the value of 6th + Cammy + young player before the playoffs but the guy was a disaster defensively in the playoffs. No way his value is that high now.

But that's likely still what the Pens would want so no dice.
That's a bad deal for the Flames regardless; at #6 you can get a high-end center. Calgary hasn't had one of those since Nieuwendyk's prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
If Cammy is traded, Tangs (who's likely gone to) is our best offensive player. Without Iggy here, Tangs is probably a 50ish point player at best? IMO Glencross and maybe Backlund are the only other players next season capable of getting close to the 50 mark and Backlund hasn't even played a full season.
Hudler was on pace for 50+ this year, and had 50+ two of his previous three NHL seasons. He's a pretty good bet for 50+.

Quote:
If Kipper retires, things do not look good at all especially with a suspect defence.
Quote:
This is exactly what concerns me about this rumour and the lack of effort from Tangs at the end of the year. Its not a good idea to expect the young guys to burden the offense. Hudler and Stemps could be good for 40pts each in a best case scenario, as are Stajan and Glencross, but that tells me that these guys are more expendable than Tangs or Cammy. And there's no high end talent in the free agency pool.

I think we need to give Tangs and Cammy a reason to stay, compete, and help the transition towards younger talent (rebuild). I think if we can provide them with a number one centre, they'd want to play.
Quote:
^^ Quality of competition. Putting up points is easier when you're not facing the opposition's best players. That's why I don't think they can put up 60+ points.
How much does QoC compare to ToI though? To continue with Hudler, he scored 57 points playing mostly third-line with 2nd PP time in 2008-09, and had 25-25-50 in under 16 minutes in 2011-12 (one of only three players to hit 25 goals with that little time), with 23-17-40 at ES in under 14 minutes ES (one of only three players to hit 20 in that little; and the only one to do both). He also played the point on the PP, and likely would have been closer to 60-70 points if he had been at forward on the PP.

Quote:
And this year's pace is not representative given it was a shorter season. A lot of guys were playing at pretty high paces
Stajan has cleared 50 multiple times. So has Hudler. Stempniak has been there once (52), and then close a couple other times (48, 44). Glencross scored 47 points per-82 games in his first four seasons as a Flame, and had 48 in 2011-12.

All of those guys could be 50+ next season, especially with Iginla gone.

Forwards who won't be Flames next season who ate up PP minutes:
PlayerPPTOIPPTOI/GP
Jarome Iginla98:563:11
Roman Cervenka63:251:37

Possible non-Flame forwards:

PlayerPPTOIPPTOI/GP
Alex Tanguay120:423:01
Mike Cammalleri125:562:51

Players likely to get a PP time increase:
PlayerPPTOIPPTOI/GP
Jiri Hudler109:502:36
Lee Stempniak79:291:41
Sven Bartschi30:251:31
Mikael Backlund44:411:23
Matt Stajan10:480:15

Hudler and Stempniak were 50+ pace despite having second-unit duties and time. Stajan was pace for 40+ on ES alone, with almost no PP time played. Backlund was fairly effective on the PP (and in general) and likely sees his PP time doubled (which in 82 games gives him about 20 points at the rate he was scoring) in addition to his ES scoring (projected to 30 points). So Backlund could hit it also. And of course there's Glencross. Bartschi is hard to predict but he had 10 in 20 at ES, which is already most of the way to 50.

Better competition if one or both of Tangs/Cammy are gone doesn't stop ALL of these guys from doing it, especially if you factor in the increased ice time. Expect at least three of them to clear 50.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Would be smarter to hold on to Cammalleri and Stempniak until next years trade deadline. Ideally with a new GM in place, it's a better opportunity to create a bidding war, especially since Cammalleri's NTC is limited.

Right now, teams will struggle to fit in Cammalleri's 6M cap hit, and we all know the Flames aren't going to retain salary. Both his and Stempniak's cap hits at the deadline will be small enough to ensure just about every playoff team looking for scoring will be interested. Cammalleri especially should draw a lot of calls given his playoff performance with Montreal a few years back.

Even if Cammalleri demands a trade now, there's no need to immediately oblige him. Better to tell him to play well, and at the deadline, he can be traded to a contender.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:42 AM
BVicious

If this is true and we are setting around the cap floor, Flames best be the first Canadian NHL city to lower ticket prices. Can't expect fans and casual fans to pay NHL Ticket prices when we're watching a WHL/AHL level home team.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:47 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
If this is true and we are setting around the cap floor, Flames best be the first Canadian NHL city to lower ticket prices. Can't expect fans and casual fans to pay NHL Ticket prices when we're watching a WHL/AHL level home team.
People will still pay to watch no matter what. It's Calgary and it's Canada. I'd still pay full price to go watch.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 03:53 AM
Sean Monahan
Daz One

plus it's the rebuild. We have to support the rebuild since it's the right thing to do

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote