HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kris Letang on the block?

Old
06-20-2013, 12:38 AM
FeedingFrenzy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Isn't that the problem though? He's not a two-way dman. He's an elite offensive defensman. His defense isn't even close to elite.
The tough part in trading for Letang is he plays with the 2 best players in hockey. His offensive numbers SHOULD be elite..Yet looking at his stats

63-6-11-17
74-10-23-33
73-3-24-27
82-8-42-50
51-10-32-42
35-3-35-38

Those numbers are by no means Elite.
1-50pt season and a very good strike shortened season,you want to pay him
6.5-7mil????

If I am trading for Letang I'd be leery about paying him more than 6.
Dan Boyle has 6-50pt+seasons and a 48pt in the last 9yrs and makes 6.66m.Those are Elite #'s.

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:42 AM
Fin9*

Letang for Clarkson + ??

Fin9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
The tough part in trading for Letang is he plays with the 2 best players in hockey. His offensive numbers SHOULD be elite..Yet looking at his stats

63-6-11-17
74-10-23-33
73-3-24-27
82-8-42-50
51-10-32-42
35-3-35-38

6.5-7mil????

Dan Boyle has 6-50pt+seasons and a 48pt in the last 9yrs and makes 6.66m.Those are Elite #'s.
....don't you notice a trend?

.27 PPG
.45 PPG
.37 PPG
.61 PPG
.82 PPG
1.09 PPG

Strangely enough, as he's developed and grown as a player, his offensive production has increased. He's 26 years old.

Dan Boyle is 36. Could more years in the league possibly have anything to do with having more 50 point seasons? Especially considering the fact that I don't know.. Dan Boyle's first 50 point season came at age 26, the same age Letang is now.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:52 AM
gdsmack267

Quote:

63-6-11-17
74-10-23-33
73-3-24-27
82-8-42-50
51-10-32-42
35-3-35-38

6.5-7mil????

Yea literally all you did is show how improved Letang has become with each year and hes only 26. His PPG totals have increased at a dramatic pace each year. He was on pace for a 89 point full season.

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:59 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

I'd really like to have Letang on the Oilers, but I'd be hesitant to trade for him unless its a conditional deal based on him signing a new deal.

If the Oilers can agree to terms on an extension before the deal, I would be willing to pay a pretty penny for Letang. He's exactly the type of player the Oilers should target.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:06 AM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I'd really like to have Letang on the Oilers, but I'd be hesitant to trade for him unless its a conditional deal based on him signing a new deal.

If the Oilers can agree to terms on an extension before the deal, I would be willing to pay a pretty penny for Letang. He's exactly the type of player the Oilers should target.
As a pens fan id love to keep letang because hes only going to improve defensively but if he has to be moved id love to see him play in Edmonton. Would be really fun to watch with all the young talent there.

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:56 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:

Was the pick given up for Iginla, conditional?

Go with the answer to that question if the Pens would take a conditional pick.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:59 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:

63-6-11-17
74-10-23-33
73-3-24-27
82-8-42-50
51-10-32-42
35-3-35-38

6.5-7mil????

You do know that when he hit 50pts, Crosby & Malkin were nursing long term injuries, also, when he's injured, the transition game is basically non-existent, it takes someone to WATCH the team, to know that.

He was not only above a ppg this past year, in the playoffs, he was as well and for his career he's at better than .5ppg...for a defenseman that has played 80 games.

Make up as many excuses about how he supposedly needs Sid & Geno, all you want, to lessen his value in your ideal trade for him.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:04 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Ship James Neal, Marc-Andre Fleury and Kris Letang to St. Louis for Halak and Pietrangelo. Let's see some blockbusters!

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:06 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Was the pick given up for Iginla, conditional?

Go with the answer to that question if the Pens would take a conditional pick.
No, the pick wasn't conditional for Iginla.

Nor am I wanting to compare any potential Letang trade to the recent Iginla trade.

I'm only trying to point out that I'd be more than happy to trade tons of value to the Penguins for Letang if the Pens grant the Oilers the ability to negociate a new contract for Letang with the Oilers prior to the trade being finalized.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
No, the pick wasn't conditional for Iginla.

Nor am I wanting to compare any potential Letang trade to the recent Iginla trade.

I'm only trying to point out that I'd be more than happy to trade tons of value to the Penguins for Letang if the Pens grant the Oilers the ability to negociate a new contract for Letang with the Oilers prior to the trade being finalized.
And you are assuming that wouldn't be a part of the deal.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:21 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Ship James Neal, Marc-Andre Fleury and Kris Letang to St. Louis for Halak and Pietrangelo. Let's see some blockbusters!
Right, getting ripped off for the sake of a huge trade seems logical.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:24 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Right, getting ripped off for the sake of a huge trade seems logical.
I take it you don't get to see Pietrangelo play much. Maybe the Blues would have to add a forward to it, but who would you really have? Letang or Pietrangelo? Let me guess, you're going to go with Letang.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:39 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
I take it you don't get to see Pietrangelo play much. Maybe the Blues would have to add a forward to it, but who would you really have? Letang or Pietrangelo? Let me guess, you're going to go with Letang.
Right, because going with the guy that fits the Pens system and the guy that has chemistry in the line-up, is wrong.

He's about 3yrs into his career, even your beloved Dion Phaneuf was pretty damn impressive that many years in, but I would rather see how that works out. I think Alex is damn solid right now, he's definitely improved his game, but I usually like the guy that has the proven chemistry with a team and a more established resume than the guy that doesn't and the team is supposedly give up a damn good return for.

Also, the Pens should now trade Neal, a guy that is money in the bank for a given 20 goal season or more + a guy that gets you TO the playoffs in Fleury for a guy that barely stays in the line-up for the Blues?

You create 2 big holes to improve in one area. Not quite sure if you understand Shero, this isn't EA Sports GM'ing.

I think you are maybe under-valuing Letang and James Neal as a package duo. Also, if the new goaltending coach can turn MAF around, he's more valuable to keep around than to dump off and hope Halak is over his injury issues and can repeat that 2nd year he had with the Blues (Yeah, out of the 3yrs he's been there, he's had 1 damn good year, 2 forgettable ones).

Also, if Pietrangelo is that good, why on earth would the Blues ever entertain moving him?

And to answer the watching him play part, I do. I've watched a lot of Blues games over the last year and a half just to see the ranting and raving about Chris Stewart being justified or not. So far, hell no. And yes, I am very impressed with how good Pietrangelo is and I have an appreciation for how good Roman Polak is as well.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:52 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I would say that swapping Letang out for Pietrangelo would be a significant upgrade for the Penguins (and I'm sure the Blues wouldn't do it and would rather move Shattenkirk before they would consider moving Pietrangelo). Letang is a rover, you can't count on him to defend, his top assignment is to produce, just like Paul Coffey. Whereas Pietrangelo is the guy who could do it all, defend, lead an attack with a rush or pass, and he has a decent shot as well.

While losing Neal would be a significant loss on the wings, the way the Penguins are capable of generating offense leads me to believe that they could find other sources who could produce. But also, I was considering the cap situation and how the Pens could alleviate themselves while also making upgrades. Halak for Fleury could be viewed differently, some may say it is a big upgrade, others might think it is a lateral move. Either way, I'm not expecting fans from either team to like it.

Just throwing out an idea for fun, like the blockbusters of yesteryear with names like Turgeon and Malakhov being dealt for Muller and Schneider. Somehow, Shero has to get creative and clear some cap space as it appears that he has quite the dilema on his hands with so many upcoming UFAs to tend to over the next two summers. He has 17 UFAs in 2013 and 2014, and has Fleury and Martin in 2015. Going to be interesting to see what he does and how many of those players will be retained.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:56 AM
hockeyjack89
Thrashers

Letang for Yakupov, Paajarvi and a 2nd or 3rd round pick??

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 03:00 AM
hockeyjack89
Thrashers

Hey it's not that bad of a deal when you consider that Letang hasn't produced like he should

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 03:03 AM
Dylonus

Quote:
Because the difference between them is somehow a 40-goal scorer?

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 03:08 AM
Dylonus

Quote:

63-6-11-17
74-10-23-33
73-3-24-27
82-8-42-50
51-10-32-42
35-3-35-38

6.5-7mil????

He was 20, 21 and 22 for first three years. Then, he hit his potential very early; putting up 50 points and had to carry the team offensively when Staal, Malkin and Crosby were all out for the second half of the season. Then at 24, he was on pace for 68 points; if healthy. This year, he was on pace for nearly 90 points.

Yeah, that's not elite.

He's just entering the "prime" years of an NHL player and he's already doing this. If you honestly think he's a product of Malkin / Crosby; I encourage you to watch the games. It's not like he's just handing off the puck and letting them do the work. His abilities and work create chances for them as well. Anyone who thinks his numbers are a byproduct of those two is delusional.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 03:13 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjack13 View Post
Hey it's not that bad of a deal when you consider that Letang hasn't produced like he should
Regular Jerry Seinfeld here people.

T-Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 06:08 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
I would say that swapping Letang out for Pietrangelo would be a significant upgrade for the Penguins (and I'm sure the Blues wouldn't do it and would rather move Shattenkirk before they would consider moving Pietrangelo). Letang is a rover, you can't count on him to defend, his top assignment is to produce, just like Paul Coffey. Whereas Pietrangelo is the guy who could do it all, defend, lead an attack with a rush or pass, and he has a decent shot as well.

While losing Neal would be a significant loss on the wings, the way the Penguins are capable of generating offense leads me to believe that they could find other sources who could produce. But also, I was considering the cap situation and how the Pens could alleviate themselves while also making upgrades. Halak for Fleury could be viewed differently, some may say it is a big upgrade, others might think it is a lateral move. Either way, I'm not expecting fans from either team to like it.

Just throwing out an idea for fun, like the blockbusters of yesteryear with names like Turgeon and Malakhov being dealt for Muller and Schneider. Somehow, Shero has to get creative and clear some cap space as it appears that he has quite the dilema on his hands with so many upcoming UFAs to tend to over the next two summers. He has 17 UFAs in 2013 and 2014, and has Fleury and Martin in 2015. Going to be interesting to see what he does and how many of those players will be retained.
Play Pietrangelo with Eaton, as Letang did this year, and he'll struggle in his own end exactly the same way he did this season before the Blues traded for Bouwmeester to stabilize the pairing.

Why do people act like Pietro's infallible when this information is readily available to all?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 06:13 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:

63-6-11-17
74-10-23-33
73-3-24-27
82-8-42-50
51-10-32-42
35-3-35-38

6.5-7mil????

Brad Richards > Logan Couture.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:16 AM
dawkins121

I feel like offensive d-men with that much talent don't really figure out the defense part until they are in their late 20's. If the Pens trade Letang and keep Fleury I think they'll regret it in a couple years, no matter how many puck moving d-men they have in their system.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I feel like offensive d-men with that much talent don't really figure out the defense part until they are in their late 20's. If the Pens trade Letang and keep Fleury I think they'll regret it in a couple years, no matter how many puck moving d-men they have in their system.
I agree. Good post.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:18 AM
NastyNick

Keeping Fleury and moving letang is a real head scratcher.. if that is what it amounts too.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote