HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Something brewing between Maple Leafs and Oilers?

Old
06-20-2013, 01:26 AM
hockeyjack89
Thrashers

vCash: 500
Edmonton shouldn't trade Eberle for at least 5 years. He's grown into more than anyone thought he was going to be at #22 in 2008. Eberle could've easily gone #5 in my opinion in place of Luke Schenn who went to you guessed it, the Leafs. All I'm trying to say is Eberle is a great player and is still growing. Grabovski has a bad contract anyway and won't fit in to the system.

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:30 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Well, Colborne is 23 and Gagner is 23...
Colborne has one goal and Gagner has 91 goals...
And Colborne has 16 points and Gagner has 258 points...

And considering the fact that Gagner has carried the bust label on these boards before, Colborne would be considered a super-mega-mondo bust.

So it would appear that once again, an HF poster has become confused when valuating draft picks and potential prospects against actual NHL players.
That's awesome.

"But but but Gagner is small and weak and soft and bad at face offs..."

Gagner will likely be extended by the Oilers because the Oilers are light in bodies at centre, due to them probably trading, buying out or not bringing back a few centres from last season and he's actually able to play the damn position.

And he's a 23 year old veteran and a leader on the team. God that looks weird.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Inverted

I doubt Nonis is stupid enough to trade Gardiner for 7th overall. Gardiner is already a proven impact player not only in the regular season but also in the playoffs and he's only 22. Even if he's traded it will be for a proven asset not for a pick which wont have an impact atleast for another two years. Leafs aren't rebuilding they need players who can help them now.

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:09 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
You think the Leafs are in on every trade. Got it.
Whenever Dave Nonis is talking to another NHL GM, I sure hope it has something to do with the Maple Leafs.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:25 AM
Atomos2
TheGrimLeafProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
You put in a good effort and there's lots of players Edmonton would want but this just isn't a good deal for the Oilers.

7th > Gunnarsson, Kulemin, McLaren
Eberle>21st, Grabovski

I like Grabovski but thats a bad contract and he isn't a type of player we need. The 7th overall part of the trade isn't bad value but none of the Toronto pieces are likely to be as good as the pick is. We lose the eberle part of the swap badly so chances are we give up the best two players in this deal for good but not great players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Why?

Gagner is a 24 year old 2C who scores 45pts a year, Colbourne isn't even an NHL regular player and #21 is a giant question mark.

Roster players have more value than draft picks...
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:37 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
Whenever Dave Nonis is talking to another NHL GM, I sure hope it has something to do with the Maple Leafs.
Why...

NHL GM's are a fraternity. I'm sure all kinds of general hockey gets discussed between familiar GMs at the meetings.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:49 AM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterCallSaul View Post
intriguing. i like it...

im guessing edm fans won't like it.
I dont like it for Toronto. Gagner is redunant, Hemsky is not needed. 7th overall is good but that is it

Leafsforlife98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 03:00 AM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Why? Colborne is career AHLer so basically that offer is Gagner <-> 21st overall. There is absolutely zero chance Oilers would make that deal. Hell, they probably would deal Gagner straight up only to a top-4 draft pick.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Leafsforlife98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 04:14 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I am not going to argue his trade value, because HF is rarely correct with player value.

I will say that that 3rd line C tied for 16th in C scoring this season.
He's definitely worth more than that. And I think he's coming into his own as a solid #2 centre on almost any team, I just doubt you'd find many teams willing to pay what he'd probably cost. You'd probably be better off keeping him. A 23 year old with as much experience as him is hard to come by.

His value probably lies somewhere in a 1st and a better prospect than Colborne and a 1st and an established top 9 forward/top 4 dman. I wouldn't really make an offer as the Leafs as I don't think he's a fit at this time though.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 04:38 AM
sommervr

Bernier to the leafs
Reimer to the Oilers

Might be something bigger than the 7th coming back and maybe more than Reimer going to Edm

Reimer seems to be a guy playing at his ceiling right now and maybe even overachieving. His ceiling is always going to be worse than the elite goalies in this league.

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Holymakinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
Bernier to the leafs
Reimer to the Oilers

Might be something bigger than the 7th coming back and maybe more than Reimer going to Edm

Reimer seems to be a guy playing at his ceiling right now and maybe even overachieving. His ceiling is always going to be worse than the elite goalies in this league.

LOL. The Leafs are not going to suddenly change up their Goalies like that. Reimer was JUST starting to become a nice Goaltender. Why would they get rid of him now, for a major question mark in goal? That would be a MASSIVE step backwards if it didn't work out.

As for the trade speculation......the Leafs need a Centre and the Oilers need some D.

I can see something like RNH for Gardiner and the Leaf's 1st(or a prospect like Colborne...). Or maybe Gagner for Gardiner, straight up.

Holymakinaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 05:44 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

just a guess, something around Hemsky and Liles

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 05:55 AM
sommervr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
LOL. The Leafs are not going to suddenly change up their Goalies like that. Reimer was JUST starting to become a nice Goaltender. Why would they get rid of him now, for a major question mark in goal? That would be a MASSIVE step backwards if it didn't work out.

As for the trade speculation......the Leafs need a Centre and the Oilers need some D.

I can see something like RNH for Gardiner and the Leaf's 1st(or a prospect like Colborne...). Or maybe Gagner for Gardiner, straight up.
Mock me all you want. I sense a disturbance in the force. ;-)

This would be buying low on Bernier and selling high on Riemer

Selling Gardiner right now would be selling low.

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 06:01 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
He's not available.
i heard RNH is what the leafs want .....just sayin

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 06:03 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Get off your high horse.
You were fast asleep for 100% of his games until he put on a blue and white jersey.
You're ignorant if you think I've never seen him play outside of Nsh vs Edm, and you're ignorant if you think western Canada isn't forcefed 90% of the Leafs regular season schedule as well.
Franson was a player that many Oilers fans have scouted high and low for a few years, before he was traded out east.

Franson scored a whopping 1 goal that wasn't on the PP this season, and he shot 20% in the playoffs and scored 3 goals in 7 games. Not to mention it was a shortened season. In other words, he's a bottom pairing guy who's great on the PP and played above his head in the post season.

Thanks for educating me though
You are NOT fed 90% Leaf games I know that cause I live in the west you get HNIC and a couple on TSN

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 06:05 AM
tikkanen5rings*

Nonis: you know Craig, we should go fishing some time this summer.
MacTavish: You bet Dave, did I ever tell you about that monster pike I caught with bare hands?

etc..

Later on that evening...

Kypreos: Kessel, Kadri,Reimer + 2nd round pick for Hall, Eberle and 1st

Dne deal!

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 06:48 AM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
???? Seriously??? It's four freaking spots. You're not talking about dropping from the 7th spot to the 21st spot (or wherever the Leafs are picking). It's four spots and a high 3rd is more than fair. The difference between 7th and 11th isn't worth much more than that. As for an actual roster player worth that difference, you'd be looking at a 4th liner or 7th dman, not anything exciting.

Again, this only would happen if the guys the Oilers had targeted at the top of their board are gone and they are "okay" with moving back four spots in the draft AND if the Flyers see someone they like and don't feel he'll be there at #11.
The going rate to trade up in the 1st round is a second based on recent draft history (where only picks are being dealt):

2012: Buffalo gets #14, Calgary gets #21, #42
2011: Toronto gets #22, Anaheim gets #30, #39
2010: LA gets #15, Florida gets #19, #59
2010: Montreal gets #22, #113 Phoenix gets #27, #57

And while these moves trade up by 4 spots or more, the value going 11 to 7 trumps moving up 6 or 7 spots to get to the middle of the round.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:40 AM
blueNwhite89

Quote:
Probably not, Oilers probably have something thrown in with #7.

But (just my opinion here) Gardiner is the Dman that Nonis will deal if he does ... Rielly is knocking on the door and it seems like Carlyle is sour on Gardiner.
Who knows.
"The bottom line is Jake's a puck-moving NHL elite-level defenceman."

Carlyle said this just over a month ago. Why is he sour on Gardiner again?

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:07 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Probably not, Oilers probably have something thrown in with #7.

But (just my opinion here) Gardiner is the Dman that Nonis will deal if he does ... Rielly is knocking on the door and it seems like Carlyle is sour on Gardiner.
Who knows.
Not after the series against Boston...

He played more than anyone else on the entire team outside of Phaneuf.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:09 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Why?

Gagner is a 24 year old 2C who scores 45pts a year, Colbourne isn't even an NHL regular player and #21 is a giant question mark.

Roster players have more value than draft picks...
please remember you said that when people are offering on pick #7

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:17 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
Bernier to the leafs
Reimer to the Oilers

leafs havent had a goalie since how long? we had to deal with toskala, monster, and raycroft. we finally get a goalie how is dare i say it respectable and you want to trade him so we can replace him with a young goalie with upside but even more unproven then reimer? also, what makes you think reimer is an upgrade on dubnyk? imo reimer = dubnyk in terms of ability. dubnyk might actually be better considering edmontons defensive situation.

if reimers is "only" able to achieve a 924 save percentage and a 2.46 goals against and its still not good enough for you then you have impossible expectations of what a goalie should provide. im not calling reimer elite by any stretch but at the very least he is a serviceable average to slightly above average starting goalie who is young and cheap and highly likeable.

bottom line, i cant see reimer being moved unless a significant upgrade is brought in to replace him.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:26 AM
OilerFan4Life

Gardiner certainly has more flare and upside but Gunnarrsson is the guy I'd want from Toronto's backend.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
That's the Oiler's equivalent of JSchultz for Kessel
And you wouldn't do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Komisarek for Horcoff

A switch of 2 potential buyouts
What is the point of this?

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:35 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Gardiner certainly has more flare and upside but Gunnarrsson is the guy I'd want from Toronto's backend.
I don't think Gunnarsson is the one in play. If he goes our defense starts to look very thin and we don't have anyone ready to step in and replace him.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I don't think Gunnarsson is the one in play. If he goes our defense starts to look very thin and we don't have anyone ready to step in and replace him.
I love Gunnarsson, but if they want him over Gardiner that is good for us, IMO.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote