HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 08:37 AM
windycity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
You don't have to take it personally...not every Saskatoon Blade will be a star. :-)

Fact is that Thrower underachieved last season..there are several flaws in his game that may or mat not be corrected. One of the issues is his size. He's able to get away with being a physical dman at the junior level, but in the pros his lack of size will hurt him. He can throw big hits and such, will likely always be able to do that, but in front of the net and in the corners, that lack of size becomes a problem.

Of bigger concern is his defensive play...poor reads and positioning, inconsistent effort, brain cramps, but there wasn't a development in his offensive game last year either. Skating is also a concern, in particular his pivoting and lateral agility. 6-0 dmen in the pros are usually pretty mobile.

I think Dietz is the better pro prospect at this time, and that Thrower will struggle to make the NHL. That's not the end of the world - there are only 7 spots available...not all of our drafted dmen will make it.
Grant, what are your thoughts about possibly converting him to forward? Kind of a gritty forward like Prust (obviously work ethic not there yet)

Old
06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Grant, what are your thoughts about possibly converting him to forward? Kind of a gritty forward like Prust (obviously work ethic not there yet)
Thrower could find himself playing forward under Don Hays, he's the type of innovative coach that will think of where Thrower is best suited on his team.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:18 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

FYI... Habs prospect Josiah Didier will have a new coach at Denver next season. Turns out it will be former Hab Jim Montgomery ('94-'95). He was coaching in the USHL where he won the league championship this past season. Congrats to Montgomery (I think I had his hockey card back in the day), Denver is one of the top programs in the NCAA so it should be a great experience for him plus he's a local so he can inform Didier all about the city etc....

Old
06-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
FYI... Habs prospect Josiah Didier will have a new coach at Denver next season. Turns out it will be former Hab Jim Montgomery ('94-'95). He was coaching in the USHL where he won the league championship this past season. Congrats to Montgomery (I think I had his hockey card back in the day), Denver is one of the top programs in the NCAA so it should be a great experience for him plus he's a local so he can inform Didier all about the city etc....
Montgomery was at Dubuque right? He really cemented that program as a powerhouse in recent years.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Somehow, when Habs fans think Montgomery, they automatically think Guy Carbonneau and his middle finger...

Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-21-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old
06-21-2013, 09:02 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
Montgomery was at Dubuque right? He really cemented that program as a powerhouse in recent years.
correct, it was a bit of a surprise that Denver fired their coach, so he's going to be under pressure to win so it should be interesting to see how he does. Plus he's a former teammate of Brisebois so they should be able to get a lot of good info on Didier.

Old
06-21-2013, 09:08 AM
S Bah

Quote:
correct, it was a bit of a surprise that Denver fired their coach, so he's going to be under pressure to win so it should be interesting to see how he does. Plus he's a former teammate of Brisebois so they should be able to get a lot of good info on Didier.
Center Quentin Shore is draft eligible for 2013 and he could be a good pick for the 3rd round also.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
It might be an option, but junior teams don't usually trade for players who they plan on converting. I suspect Hay is hoping for him to bounce back with a solid season on the blueline.

Old
06-23-2013, 06:18 AM
S Bah

Quote:
It might be an option, but junior teams don't usually trade for players who they plan on converting. I suspect Hay is hoping for him to bounce back with a solid season on the blueline.
That certainly makes sense and Hays has produced some pretty good defencemen out of the Giants over the last decade. Vancouver Giants and Hays is one of the best options for Thrower, if he doesn't make the Hamilton lineup out of the Habs training camp. After his last season in the WHL, another year there will probably be help build his confidence.Just a question about players selected from the USHL and College teams, can they play in the AHL at 18 & 19 yrs. old or are the rules the same as the CHL? Thanks ahead of time Grant, if you're not too busy this week already.

Last edited by S Bah: 06-23-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old
06-23-2013, 08:32 AM
HCH

Quote:
Grant, what do you think Thrower's chances of playing in the pros are next season. I was also thinking of the forward option, don't ask me way. Maybe it's because we seem to have an abundance of defense prospect. But if that was in the plans do you think they would bring him the pros and begin the conversion early rather have him play defense for another year before trying that.

As far as style of play on defense goes, who would you compare him to? Wisniewski with a little more grit?

Old
06-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Grant McCagg

I think the best option for him next season is to play defence under Don Hay.

There are going to be plenty of young prospects at forward in addition to young defencemen on Hamilton....and in my opinion he still needs to do some maturing before he's ready for the pros.

Maybe I'm wrong and he figures it out this summer and grabs a spot in Hamilton, but I have no issues with him going to learn some things under Hay as a 19-20-year-old. As was stated, the Giants have a strong history of developing young dmen..I wouldn't say the same for Molleken.

Old
06-23-2013, 03:43 PM
HCH

Quote:
I think the best option for him next season is to play defence under Don Hay.

There are going to be plenty of young prospects at forward in addition to young defencemen on Hamilton....and in my opinion he still needs to do some maturing before he's ready for the pros.

Maybe I'm wrong and he figures it out this summer and grabs a spot in Hamilton, but I have no issues with him going to learn some things under Hay as a 19-20-year-old. As was stated, the Giants have a strong history of developing young dmen..I wouldn't say the same for Molleken.
Thanks

Old
06-23-2013, 04:05 PM
windycity

Quote:
Thanks Grant, I was thinking more long-term if he doesn't fix his defensive and other deficiencies in Vancouver (or elsewhere) but helpful to know.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Thanks Grant, I was thinking more long-term if he doesn't fix his defensive and other deficiencies in Vancouver (or elsewhere) but helpful to know.
It may be the best position for him long-term, but making the switch is never easy.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:40 PM
S Bah

I was just reading about a couple of overage QMJHL's, that have been invited to camp by the Habs.
Center - Ben Duffy - RH - 39g + 71a = 110 pts 5'10" - 175 lbs.

LW - G Desjardins - LH - 32g + 42a = 74 pts 6'0" - 204 lbs.

These could be good players for the Hamilton Bulldogs, they have need for both in their lineup.

Last edited by S Bah: 06-24-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old
06-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I was just reading about a couple of overage QMJHL's, that have been invited to camp by the Habs.
Center - Ben Duffy - RH - 39g + 71a = 110 pts 5'10" - 175 lbs.

LW - G Desjardins - LH - 32g + 42a = 74 pts 6'0" - 204 lbs.

These could be good players for the Hamilton Bulldogs, they have need for both in their lineup.
And Stephen MacAuley who provides something we don't already have; size with the ability to finish it seems.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Team Canada Summer Camp

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Tea...er-Camp/Roster

Old
06-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Matteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
It looks like Morin is too green to get an invitation to summer camp?

Old
06-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus View Post
It looks like Morin is too green to get an invitation to summer camp?
Weird that Morin wasn't invited after a strong U18, plus he will possibly go top 15 on Sunday.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Hey everybody, not sure if this is the place to ask about Brady Vail, because he plays in the AHL, but anyways, I just wanted to ask if you guys think he has any future in the NHL. Also, what do you guys project of him? The reason I want to know this is because I live in Florida, & I used to play roller hockey at this place out of town called Thunderskate. Anyways, the place closed down years ago, and I searched it online & I stumbled upon this page:
http://www.orgsites.com/fl/thunderbl...nor/_pgg7.php3
I went to this page because I was just looking at some old friends, but I was shocked when I was scrolling down & I found Brady Vail!

Old
06-29-2013, 08:51 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvp Lord View Post
Hey everybody, not sure if this is the place to ask about Brady Vail, because he plays in the AHL, but anyways, I just wanted to ask if you guys think he has any future in the NHL. Also, what do you guys project of him? The reason I want to know this is because I live in Florida, & I used to play roller hockey at this place out of town called Thunderskate. Anyways, the place closed down years ago, and I searched it online & I stumbled upon this page:
I went to this page because I was just looking at some old friends, but I was shocked when I was scrolling down & I found Brady Vail!
He's actually in the OHL with the Windsor Spitfires. And that is quite the find. I remember reading an interview that he started with roller hockey like most Cali/Florida kids.

Old
06-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
He's actually in the OHL with the Windsor Spitfires. And that is quite the find. I remember reading an interview that he started with roller hockey like most Cali/Florida kids.
I know he played with Windsor, but I thought he played with Hamilton now, oopsie. Most kids that start with roller hockey usually turn out to be pretty good hockey players, I find. Like Emerson Etem & I think Bobby Ryan too.

Old
06-29-2013, 09:09 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
I know he played with Windsor, but I thought he played with Hamilton now, oopsie. Most kids that start with roller hockey usually turn out to be pretty good hockey players, I find. Like Emerson Etem & I think Bobby Ryan too.
He joined Hamilton for the final few games after Windsor's season was over. He should be back in junior by all accounts.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:27 AM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Somehow, when Habs fans think Montgomery, they automatically think Guy Carbonneau and his middle finger...
Montgomery was one of many players in that period who got hammered for being horribly worse than the player the habs traded for him. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't Carbonneau.

As a small, low-talent NHL defensive forward he's probably a great coach.

Old
06-30-2013, 12:44 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Quote:
Yes, I think he has a shot in the NHL. He can play on offense and on defense. His potential is probably a two-way 3rd center in the NHL.

Closed Thread