HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

All-Purpose Jonathan Bernier Thread (All Bernier Talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
Not saying Bernier should garner a ransom, but I expected a bit more than Frattin type players. Maybe I'm underselling Frattin.
You're not the only one. What's the hype about Frattin? This guys never even cracked 20 points. Maybe Leaf fans can school me.

Last edited by Alchemy: 06-20-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old
06-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I don't want Bernier in Philly

Let him go the the Isles, Nino + 1st for Bernier
Who do you want as the other goalie besides Mason?

Old
06-20-2013, 09:07 AM
smitty10

I wouldn't mind if Frattin is traded. But why do we get Bernier? Is Reimer on the way out?

Old
06-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
You're not the only one. What's the hype about Frattin? This guys never even cracked 20 points. Maybe Leaf fans can school me.
The same could be said about the hype machine that is Bernier.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:20 AM
crazyaces**

Ben Bishop for a 2nd round pick

Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher

Lindback for essentially two 2nd round picks, and a 3rd

Bobrovsky for a 2nd round pick, and two 4th rounders

All of these goalies are better than Bernier, and you want Frattin + 1st rounder!

Can you really give LA more than what Bobrovsky got? Who even at the time of the trade was a better goalie than Bernier, and has now emerged as a veznia goalie?!

Give your head a shake, your not getting Matt Frattin and a 1st rounder.

Maybe a one-for-one Matt Frattin for Bernier swap

OR a 2nd + a couple of 4th's - that's it!

Old
06-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
He has the potential though, just like Bernier. Frattin's game can be translated as a PF capable of 20+ goals a season.

06-20-2013, 09:22 AM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

I'll be happy when this is all done and over with and the team can move forward. I just hope Bernier goes East. The rumors and such have been intriguing, but I can see both sides of the argument. In the end, market conditions will dictate the return, probably more than any previous trade comparisons will.

My take on the potential return for Bernier is a little different. Many are using the argument of what Bob and Lindback fetched as some sort of barometer that Bernier's value cannot exceed it because a precedent was set. I would argue that prior to both of those goaltenders being traded, Bernier was more highly regarded. Also, I think that Bob's success actually increases Bernier's value. For example, do you think that when Kevin Garnett (5th overall) and Kobe Bryant (13th overall) came into the NBA as high schoolers, that set the ceiling of how high a non-collegiate player could be drafted? Those guys turned into HOF'ers and then GMs started drafting high schoolers even higher than them, some turned out great, some horrible. It's not what you give up to get said player, it's what said player projects/turns into.

GMs see what Bob did and hope that Bernier can do something similar and it's not totally outlandish to think he can. Bernier has shown throughout his career and at every level that when he gets steady work (not 1 start every 2 weeks), he's outstanding. Couple in the fact that he's young and will be cheap contractually for a number of years, and that's potentially more attractive than Luongo or Miller.

Regardless of what happens, I won't be surprised at the return. Just make sure Bernier doesn't end up in our division and preferably conference, DL.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:24 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Lombardi manufactured this 'auction' because he knows he has little leverage and is trying to drive up the price. Where are all the participants though? The entire ruse may work out in the end, but the other GM's should see right through it since it's completely transparent.

Where has this phantom + 1st rounder come from? The last thing I heard was the Bobby Mac tweet about Frattin + prospect/pick. If that + was really a 1st or even a 2nd, it would have been mentioned. Nonis and any other GM involved has the ability to walk away if the price is too high which further lowers Lombardi's leverage.
Yeah and the leverage only lasts until the draft. In fact you could look at the flip side of the coin and say the pressure is on Lombardi to make the deal sooner rather than later since July 1st is sneaking up and somebody will throw an offersheet his way if the situation isn't resolved by then.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:26 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
He's an NHL regular. I wouldn't be concerned about having to develop him and move him between your AHL affiliate and big club like his stat-line suggests. He has great speed, is built like a tank and has a hard, accurate shot. Problem is he lacks vision to utilize his teammates and is below average defensively. If I'm running fantasy team I'm taking this guy late in the rounds because of his potential to break out and score 20+ goals, or he could get injured and score 30 points

Old
06-20-2013, 09:37 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Yeah and the leverage only lasts until the draft. In fact you could look at the flip side of the coin and say the pressure is on Lombardi to make the deal sooner rather than later since July 1st is sneaking up and somebody will throw an offersheet his way if the situation isn't resolved by then.
I don't think anyone wants to go the offer sheet scenario, but it is indeed a possibility... yet another reason why Lombardi needs to get a done deal sooner rather than later. Add in potential buyouts and cap casualties, the goalie market is suddenly more robust around draft time and UFA time. That's not going to help Lombardi either.

In a vacuum, Bernier is worth a fair bit. Add in all the other factors, Lombardi is not dealing from a position of strength. With what's been reported/speculated, the Frattin + type of deal is right in line with Bishop's return which was Conacher + 4th. I would think that's the neighborhood of the value probably being discussed. Thoughts of prying away some names such as Couturier, Neidereitter, etc. are more etched in fantasy than reality IMO.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Perro

If somehow LA gets a 1st and a player then great deal!
Still think Read plus mid round pick in 2014 conditional on Read re-signing is most likely.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:55 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Can we get a Mod to merge the two Bernier threads please? Flipping back and fourth is annoying and it's the same conversation 2X.
I asked this about 500 posts ago an it was deleted so i think its to late now.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:58 AM
PhilaFlyers

Why would the Flyers trade Schenn for Bernier? Is that guy kidding?

Old
06-20-2013, 10:10 AM
bluechipbonzo

The biggest issue for the New York Islanders may be reaching the salary cap floor of $44 million.

The Islanders have a payroll of $34.8 million and the only goaltender under contract is Anders Nilsson, who went 8-11-0 with AHL Bridgeport last season.

Itís believed the Islanders are pursuing Jonathan Bernier of the Los Angeles Kings in a trade. Bernier is a restricted free agent and could receive big dollars because of the salary floor problems.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...#ixzz2WlkqJKXE

Old
06-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Perro

Man this is getting ridiculous. I am a huge bernier homer but some of the returns people are throwing our there are insane. Maybe if it is a package deal wit the kings adding. But Bernier alone will not get some of the returns on here.
As many others have said I am looking forward to it being done. This off season is going to be crazy.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:21 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
The biggest issue for the New York Islanders may be reaching the salary cap floor of $44 million.

The Islanders have a payroll of $34.8 million and the only goaltender under contract is Anders Nilsson, who went 8-11-0 with AHL Bridgeport last season.

It’s believed the Islanders are pursuing Jonathan Bernier of the Los Angeles Kings in a trade. Bernier is a restricted free agent and could receive big dollars because of the salary floor problems.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...#ixzz2WlkqJKXE
Really poorly researched article.

The Islanders will not have any problem reaching the floor. They are less than $10M away and need 8 players, including a starting goalie.

They aren't going to overpay, especially on a long-term deal, to reach the cap floor.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:29 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I think this is a situation where everyone knows that Bernier is gonna be dealt for the best offer before or at the draft, any team planning to wait around to offer sheet is gonna miss out completely. Lombardi and other general managers are smart enough to realize that the Kings don't have anything to gain by waiting around until then. Now you could say that translates into leverage for the teams trying to trade for Bernier but that's only if they all collectively hold back on their offers until then.

Regarding the Frattin+1st discussion, it's coming from bigmouthbarry and that's a notoriously bad source for trade rumors. I'd be over the moon if the Kings somehow got a 1st and a decent player/prospect for Bernier, but I'm holding back on my expectations.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Accelleratii

Can I just say Philly's media and second-rate defense will eat Bernier alive. Just my opinion.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:36 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
I think this is a situation where everyone knows that Bernier is gonna be dealt for the best offer before or at the draft, any team planning to wait around to offer sheet is gonna miss out completely. Lombardi and other general managers are smart enough to realize that the Kings don't have anything to gain by waiting around until then. Now you could say that translates into leverage for the teams trying to trade for Bernier but that's only if they all collectively hold back on their offers until then.

Regarding the Frattin+1st discussion, it's coming from bigmouthbarry and that's a notoriously bad source for trade rumors. I'd be over the moon if the Kings somehow got a 1st and a decent player/prospect for Bernier, but I'm holding back on my expectations.
bigmouthbarry?????????? who is that

Old
06-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Kingler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Lol suggesting Schenn or Couturier for Bernier is asinine.
Don't seem like its such a far fetch for a young and high potential player like Bernier to fetch...a young and high potential player back. If all 3 reach their potential and become all-stars, Bernier would be worth the most out of the 3

If the Philly's team scouts think that Bernier is likely to become franchise goalie and secure the position for the team for the next 10 years, do you think that Philly would be hesitant to give up Schenn or Couturier? I doubt it

For some reason, people believe the Kings has no leverage that Bernier is a RFA and that there are lots of goaltender available. But it seems that the Kings are getting quiet an interests for him. This is essentially a blind auction and GM don't know what others are offering. If a team thinks Bernier is the man then they will overpay to win the auction

Worst thing is that Bernier becomes a franchise goalie with another franchise and a team, say Philly, could have gotten him but fail to offer no more than Matt Read

Old
06-20-2013, 10:41 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
The Kings former Hockeybuzz blogger, basically an Eklund for the Kings with pretty much the same hit and miss chance when it comes to trade rumors. But the mod on sportsnet is interesting, can't say I know too much about him as a source.

Still, I doubt the Kings get a promising young player like Frattin AND a first rounder.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
He's the Kings version of Eklund, used to be our hockeybuzz writer, he was on point with injuries but is bad with trades, I think most Kings fans know we aren't getting Schenn back for Bernier like he suggested, I don't even see the Isles giving up Matt Martin for Bernier.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:44 AM
KingCanadain1976

Ok people Kings won't be asking for scheen or jake or nino not because bernier isn't worth it It more they cant afford it. The player in the trade for bernier won't be making more then 1.5 max. This is why people like read frattin and martin are rumour to be pieces in this deal There cheap and easy to fit in la cap situation. Still saying its a 1st + The + is however getting more and more interesting.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:47 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
The Kings former Hockeybuzz blogger, basically an Eklund for the Kings with pretty much the same hit and miss chance when it comes to trade rumors. But the mod on sportsnet is interesting, can't say I know too much about him as a source.

Still, I doubt the Kings get a promising young player like Frattin AND a first rounder.
I'm a member at SN LA rider is OK

Old
06-20-2013, 10:49 AM
DPSNAGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
I don't buy those proposals.

Islanders have no reason to be tossing Martin in the convo and they have 'better' pieces to trade.
matt martins also too important to this team. I would be extremely upset to see him go. Can see him being a big leader and protector for this team for years to come. This locker room is also tightly knit so i wouldnt want to deal him but you gotta give to get.

Closed Thread