HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 12.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Fozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If you'd been here enough, you'd know that I'm a big Beaulieu fan. Still is. Just wondering what we could have at that spot that could make this draft just totally memorable.
Reading this makes me wonder if folks here are hockey fans or just draft fans. I know the drafting process is fun and all but it's really just a mean to an end.

Last edited by Fozz: 06-20-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old
06-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
McKenzie estimated he'd be on the air continuously for 7 hours in one of his tweets, so I think 3-10 is a pretty reasonable guess.

Has TSN confirmed yet how they're going to present the draft? I saw RDS is showing the first 2 rounds and then moving to RIS...I expect TSN to do a similar thing, hopefully switching to TSN2 instead of NHL Network since I dropped the latter.

In any event the coverage of the later rounds is terrible and I always wind up ignoring it and refreshing HF/NHL.com like a madman anyway. But I'm hoping if TSN sticks with it we'll get better than what we got from the NHL Network...
I believe bobby Mac just said they will cover it all. At least I hope so.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I believe bobby Mac just said they will cover it all. At least I hope so.
That would be draft junkie heaven. I mean, they can't be worse than NHL Network, right?

Old
06-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
That would be draft junkie heaven. I mean, they can't be worse than NHL Network, right?
I hope Tsn does. I'd be prepared for it. My body is ready.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:51 AM
otto bond

Quote:
I'd trade him to Boston if the return was good enough, no sense limiting your trading partners like that.
I get this but that proposal was IMO not good enough. Dman are at there prime in terms of value. We drafted Beaulieu 2 summers ago, progress well and has loads of potential and could perhaps play some key minutes starting next year. The 11th pick would be nice but not at Beaulieu's expense.
Philly is in dier need of Dman and I would ask for the mother return for any of our Dman and especialy Beaulieu.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Reading this makes me wonder if folks here are hockey fans or just draft fans. I know the drafting process is fun and all but it's really just a mean to an end.
Seriously...the goal is to draft players so they can help you win at some point, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Fish View Post
Okay here's ANOTHER scenario.....Let say Montreal is really interested in Drouin. If Kristo could net the 28th pick from Calgary, then why not take it one step further and do Kristo + our first for Calgary’s first (6th overall). What do you think Tampa would want for moving down 3 spots?
The only way CGY trades 6th overall to us is if a name like Subban, Galchenyuk or Pacioretty is involved. This is their highest pick in forever, they aren't trading down 19 spots for a good prospect and a late 1st. Would you have traded 3rd overall last year for a late 1st and a Kristo level prospect?

Old
06-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
The draft being all on one day is exciting. I might order a pizza.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:02 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Will TSN be streaming it on their website?

Old
06-20-2013, 09:03 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I get this but that proposal was IMO not good enough. Dman are at there prime in terms of value. We drafted Beaulieu 2 summers ago, progress well and has loads of potential and could perhaps play some key minutes starting next year. The 11th pick would be nice but not at Beaulieu's expense.
Philly is in dier need of Dman and I would ask for the mother return for any of our Dman and especialy Beaulieu.
I don't think Beaulieu is quite as close as that. I'd put him behind Tinordi for sure and would like to see him play at least another full year in the AHL. We already have 8 signed defensemen ahead of him (including Tinordi) so it's not a pressing need to rush him into the lineup. We're not hurting for a D, basically.

And similarly, Laughton played a few games in the NHL and AHL last year and almost made the team out of camp...I wouldn't be surprised if he started this year with the Flyers. So we wouldn't be setting ourselves back necessarily, we'd just be setting ourselves up in a different area (an area of need, I'd argue).

Furthermore I think you could make the case that, if we pick a D at 11, he (a) won't be that much further off from the NHL than Beaulieu is now, maybe an extra year of waiting, and (b) could easily wind up as good as or better than Beaulieu.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Seriously...the goal is to draft players so they can help you win at some point, isn't it?
Of course it is but not at the expense of already drafted players that are developping well and close to having an impact.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:15 AM
otto bond

Quote:
I don't think Beaulieu is quite as close as that. I'd put him behind Tinordi for sure and would like to see him play at least another full year in the AHL. We already have 8 signed defensemen ahead of him (including Tinordi) so it's not a pressing need to rush him into the lineup. We're not hurting for a D, basically.

And similarly, Laughton played a few games in the NHL and AHL last year and almost made the team out of camp...I wouldn't be surprised if he started this year with the Flyers. So we wouldn't be setting ourselves back necessarily, we'd just be setting ourselves up in a different area (an area of need, I'd argue).

Furthermore I think you could make the case that, if we pick a D at 11, he (a) won't be that much further off from the NHL than Beaulieu is now, maybe an extra year of waiting, and (b) could easily wind up as good as or better than Beaulieu.
Perhaps the role Beaulieu is being groomed for has something to do with it. I also put Tinordi ahead of Beaulieu and I would say an other year in the AHL would be nice for Beaulieu. Also tat trade is like giving up 2 first rounder and not moving in the top 10.
There's no dought that the 11th pick is gonna be intriging but I also find Beaulieu a very, very interesting prospect for us. I will admitt that there are a few players(aside from the obvious ones) if avaible at 11 I would consider moving Beaulieu. One name comes to mind and that's Nichushkin but that would be very unlikely. Add Zadorov

Old
06-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Of course it is but not at the expense of already drafted players that are developping well and close to having an impact.
I was actually agreeing with your post. I guess the way I worded that can be confusing and interpreted both ways. Couldn't agree more with you. You trade Beaulieu for a 2nd and that player may not be NHL ready until 2017. Then maybe it takes that player 1 year to be comfortable in the NHL. Then maybe another year before he breaks out. It can be a long wait. Meanwhile, Beaulieu could be in the NHL fulltime in 2014.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...prospects.html

Old
06-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...epechage.shtml

Quote:
L'exercice était particulièrement éprouvant avec l'armée d'intervieweurs des Sabres de Buffalo. C'est de cette équipe qu'Anthony Mantha, seul marqueur de 50 buts dans la LHJMQ la saison dernière, s'est fait demander LA question qui tue.

- Si tu avais plus soigné ton jeu défensif, combien de buts aurais-tu marqués?, lui demande un responsable des Sabres.
- Cinq ou dix de plus. Si je récupère des rondelles plus rapidement dans mon territoire pour relancer l'attaque, on obtiendra plus d'occasions, ce qui donnera 5-10 buts de plus.

La réponse n'a visiblement pas bien passé au Conseil. « Tu en aurais marqué 30 », lui rétorque le dirigeant. Un long silence a suivi.
During the interview, the Sabres asked Mantha how many goals he would have scored if he paid more attention to his D.

Mantha says 5 to 10 more, getting pucks out of the zone helps generate offence.

Sabres guy tells him he would have scored 30. A long silence followed.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
We've seen management types make positive statements about certain players, only to see them getting traded at an opportune time. Beaulieu is not an untouchable.
Nobody is untoucheable, but Beaulieu has the tools/potential to be as good as Subban, is that something you want to gamble on trading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
How many Ds in this draft are defensively responsible? It's never been a part of his game. They've tried to address it at several stages of his development and it's always lagged. Can it be fixed -- who knows. If we have an opportunity to convert him for an asset we really want, why not. No one is suggesting that we should just give him away. All a matter of what the return would be.
Beaulieu was above average defensively in junior, but it came easy because he is big, highly mobile and has great hockey sense, so he could "cheat" on offense and still not get burnt. Getting polished defensively is something that needs to happen in the pros, simily because guys like that don't get challenged much by junior forwards. He made big strides in that area last year, his positionning in his NHL cameo was good, another half year to full year AHL should do him more good.

Quote:

The only way CGY trades 6th overall to us is if a name like Subban, Galchenyuk or Pacioretty is involved. This is their highest pick in forever, they aren't trading down 19 spots for a good prospect and a late 1st. Would you have traded 3rd overall last year for a late 1st and a Kristo level prospect?
Yeah, no way in hell they trade that pick for 3-4 smaller pieces. Even Feaster isn't taht bad a GM. Milbury is the only guy I can think of that could do it.

Quote:

Tinordi plays a style that is easier to transition to the pros, mostly because he handles the puck a lot less than Beaulieu, plus he is a bit older(being a 2010 draft pick). I see both guys having huge upsides but in different roles.

Swapping a 20 year old like Beaulieu for an 18 year old brings in more risk though.

Old
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
I'm especially interested to see where the following rank:

- Mueller

- Mantha

- Morin

- McCarron

- McCoshen

M's galore.

1-Morin - mighty
2-McCarron - muscular
3-Mueller - mobile
4-McCoshen - minute munching
5-Mantha - mouse-man

Maybe Morrissey? -mover many mumble may mirror Markov, most mentioned may monitor Moutrey, Murphy, Muir, MacAdam.

Old
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...epechage.shtml

During the interview, the Sabres asked Mantha how many goals he would have scored if he paid more attention to his D.

Mantha says 5 to 10 more, getting pucks out of the zone helps generate offence.

Sabres guy tells him he would have scored 30. A long silence followed.
So they are basically saying that if he played a pro game, he wouldn't be scoring as much?

Old
06-20-2013, 09:41 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
I dont get why people arent into Morin as much if not more than Tinordi? He sure looks to have some raw potential even offensively could be a 2 way dman from some reports i read more speciffically hockeynews. 6'7" and a tough fighter... from quebec.. a defense with tinordi and morin along subban emelin and beaulieu... talk about intimidation factor in 2-3 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
We are talking about Feaster here...If he really likes Kristo, I could see him trading #22 straight up for him. To be honest, it might not even turn out to be that horrible of a deal for Calgary.

I think Kristo for #22 is actually pretty even considering that I think Kristo could very well be better and is lower risk since he has already improved for 4 or 5 years than anyone else we could get at 22.

Ultimately I think I would do it since I think MB has decided that we have to build the team a different way, and altough Kristo has tons of skill and speed, he does not have as much grit as MB may desire.

I would be drooling if we had 22, 25, 34, 36, 55, 71, 86. But would definitely being keeping my eye on Kristo in Calgary since I think he could be good.
Quote:
Mack, Drouin, Nichushkin and Lindholm. Rather, I have those 4 rated higher talent-wise. Whether or not I'd actually draft Nichushkin over Barkov is another story. KHL risk is undeniable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
If you're talking about a guy who is also capable of being a legit heavyweight, while being a productive player, their isn't a forward in this draft who's that player. Those players don't come around very often.

Rychel could be a 30 goals a season Ryan White.

Zadorov has alot of Chara in him though. I could see him becoming the dominatn physical force in the league, while also being a good all situations type of Dman.

London Knights GM Mark Hunter said it best, "He’s a big guy that can skate and drive the net and do things offensively that a lot of other players are not capable of doing. He’s an intelligent kid. He’s grown so much — he’s so big. We knew he was going to figure it out. He’s not scared. He hits people, he finishes his checks. There’s so much to like about him it’s ridiculous.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yeah, moving Beaulieu and Kristo for maybe picks are just really really bad ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Perhaps the role Beaulieu is being groomed for has something to do with it. I also put Tinordi ahead of Beaulieu and I would say an other year in the AHL would be nice for Beaulieu. Also tat trade is like giving up 2 first rounder and not moving in the top 10.
There's no dought that the 11th pick is gonna be intriging but I also find Beaulieu a very, very interesting prospect for us. I will admitt that there are a few players(aside from the obvious ones) if avaible at 11 I would consider moving Beaulieu. One name comes to mind and that's Nichushkin but that would be very unlikely. Add Zadorov
Quote:
I was actually agreeing with your post. I guess the way I worded that can be confusing and interpreted both ways. Couldn't agree more with you. You trade Beaulieu for a 2nd and that player may not be NHL ready until 2017. Then maybe it takes that player 1 year to be comfortable in the NHL. Then maybe another year before he breaks out. It can be a long wait. Meanwhile, Beaulieu could be in the NHL fulltime in 2014.
Feaster and Bergevin could be quite close to making that deal for the 6th OV.Whose to say that Seth Jones or Samuel Morin couldn't be available at that point, Sakic has real doubts about it and being a HOF forward, who am I to argue with that. It appears that isn't a secret only Colorado is aware. So don't think Bergevin wouldn't like to be choosing at 6th, in the deepest draft since 2003. Marc will try to accomplish what is best for the Habs in the long term, I have no doubt about that.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:42 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
So they are basically saying that if he played a pro game, he wouldn't be scoring as much?
Basically. Mantha is saying he would have scored 5-10 more, the Sabres are saying he would have scored 20 fewer.

Without reading too much into a single quote, it seems to show that Mantha thinks about his play in the context of his own stats, as opposed to the greater good of the team (e.g. Mantha's response was "I would score more" as opposed to "I might score less but I would help the team more").

Old
06-20-2013, 09:48 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Stupid answer by the Buffalo crew.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:51 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Feaster and Bergevin could be quite close to making that deal for the 6th OV.Whose to say that Seth Jones or Samuel Morin couldn't be available at that point, Sakic has real doubts about it and being a HOF forward, who am I to argue with that. It appears that isn't a secret only Colorado is aware. So don't think Bergevin wouldn't like to be choosing at 6th, in the deepest draft since 2003. Marc will try to accomplish what is best for the Habs in the long term, I have no doubt about that.
To clarify Jones isn't in the ballpark of those first five forwards as some of us think. I believe that Morin and Seth Jones could be available at the 6th position and that Kristo and Beaulieu could be in a package deal for the 6th OV.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:52 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well I understand your point...yet, tons of 2nd rounders have become great solid players in the NHL and not just junior prospects. Most are saying that our 2nd rounders feels more like 1st rounders. Again, though, it was mostly in respond to people who would have wanted to see Kristo going....I mean, if we have to consider it, we also have to consider other options. And if that option means for Timmins to be more at ease to go with a d-man at 25 seeing how many other picks he has after....I do wonder if it's not worth it....but again....depending who is out there. This is not a trade I would consider to make right now.....but during draft day IF the players we want are still there...

Whitesnake,

Beaulieu was drafted as a top 1st rounder and so far he has played as a top prospect. He gets his defensive game to where the rest of his game is and you have a top pairing d-man.

Now you want to trade that for a 2 rounder-late 1st rounder because Timmins has the reputation for turning 2nd rounders nto first round talent.

You know how much I admire Timmins but even he misses on more than half his 2nd rounders. We have a sure thing in Beaulieu. People want him, well they better pay through the nose. Make that two noses. I hope we've seen the last of The Gainey & Gauthier days where we presented gifts to other teams.

By the way this proposal of yours makes me want to play poker with you. I'm guessing you're the kind of player that will leave behind a bird in the hand to chase two in the bush.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I would shoot myself in the face if we traded for the 6th pick and took Morin(is this what you're insinuating we do?). I'd even be slightly annoyed if we took him at 25.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:55 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
I would shoot myself in the face if we traded for the 6th pick and took Morin(is this what you're insinuating we do?). I'd even be slightly annoyed if we took him at 25.
We agree whole-heartedly there.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:58 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I'm not the biggest Beaulieu fan, but he would get more than the 32nd pick.

If we did the trade, who would we then take at that pick? A slick skating offensive dman like Shea Theodore? But Beaulieu's proximity to the bigs makes him worth more than that. Think we could get a pick around 20 or so for him.
Beaulieu was a #$%^$%^ 17 pick. He is showing signs of being a first pair dman. Bergeron trades him for a 20 and I'll call for his head on a platter the way I did for Gainey when he made that dumb ass Gomez trade.

Closed Thread