HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kris Letang on the block?

Old
06-20-2013, 08:34 AM
dawkins121

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
Keeping Fleury and moving letang is a real head scratcher.. if that is what it amounts too.
I mean the two don't have to be connected. Maybe the Pens front office truly believes that Letang would be very overvalued at 7 per year and that they have enough options internally to replace a sizeable portion of his production at a fraction of the cost. If they can get a healthy return for him in a trade (which I'm sure they can) it might be enough of a hockey reason to pull the trigger.

But if the number 1 reason behind dealing Letang is purely cap considerations then yeah I don't understand why Fleury wouldn't be the first out the door.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Phil68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjack13 View Post
Letang for Yakupov, Paajarvi and a 2nd or 3rd round pick??
It's not bad of a trade at all!! Maybe you switch Paajarvi for Justin Schultz, and this deal is a go to me!

I would do Jussi Jokinen for Paajarvi or Kenedy for Paajarvi

Phil68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Keeping Fleury and moving letang is a real head scratcher.. if that is what it amounts too.
The Pens don't have anyone coming up right now and Vokoun can't be the starter playing 50+ games. I don't think Shero is going to let Fleury go and give the money to Mike Smith instead, would be a mistake

Wait and see what happens with the Canucks and Luongo, if they buy him out then maybe they will try to sign him and buyout Flower

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
....don't you notice a trend?

.27 PPG
.45 PPG
.37 PPG
.61 PPG
.82 PPG
1.09 PPG

Strangely enough, as he's developed and grown as a player, his offensive production has increased. He's 26 years old.

Dan Boyle is 36. Could more years in the league possibly have anything to do with having more 50 point seasons? Especially considering the fact that I don't know.. Dan Boyle's first 50 point season came at age 26, the same age Letang is now.
congrats, you just managed to prove in a short post why Letang should get 7M+ per multiple seasons...

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
congrats, you just managed to prove in a short post why Letang should get 7M+ per multiple seasons...
He will based on the market but he's not a 7m ranged dman. His all around game just isn't enough.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
He will based on the market but he's not a 7m ranged dman. His all around game just isn't enough.
oh yes he is. he is a 26 yo defenseman who just got better season after season. nobody expected Letang to develop like this, look at his last contract or look at the Pens board.

edit: I mean as a Flyers fan you should know better. if Homer ****ed up the market with that Streit contract, Letang definitely is worth at least 2M more per...

Old
06-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
oh yes he is. he is a 26 yo defenseman who just got better season after season. nobody expected Letang to develop like this, look at his last contract or look at the Pens board.

edit: I mean as a Flyers fan you should know better. if Homer ****ed up the market with that Streit contract, Letang definitely is worth at least 2M more per...
Still think he's not worth that money. It's market based and he will get it but he's just not a guy you pay that money to. You can build around him and hide those minuses and he'll be fine. He's a player your essentially paying that money to be elite off the rush and QB a pp but he's not to be matched up shutting down the other teams best player or anchoring a PK unit.

Also yes the Streit and Gonchar contracts inflated the market I don't deny that.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Curufinwe

Letang will get $7m+ in this market, but Holmgren didn't change the market with the Streit contract. Streit got the same as other offensive defensmen like Gonchar, Carle, Wisniewski, Wideman, and Markov.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Still think he's not worth that money. It's market based and he will get it but he's just not a guy you pay that money to. You can build around him and hide those minuses and he'll be fine. He's a player your essentially paying that money to be elite off the rush and QB a pp but he's not to be matched up shutting down the other teams best player or anchoring a PK unit.

Also yes the Streit and Gonchar contracts inflated the market I don't deny that.
he is definetely elite off the rush, just watch a game when he's not playing and see how the Pens' transition game suffers. plus he logs masive minutes in all situations. who's to say he can't become an elite PP QB? he's freaking 26 yo, that is really green for a defensman.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:43 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Fleury will be gone in no more than two years. A deal with Letang will be longer than that.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
he is definetely elite off the rush, just watch a game when he's not playing and see how the Pens' transition game suffers. plus he logs masive minutes in all situations. who's to say he can't become an elite PP QB? he's freaking 26 yo, that is really green for a defensman.
You misread. I never said he couldn't. I think he is an Elite QB. If he would shoot more from the point on the PP he would score more but with the offensive talent he plays with I see why he wants to be more of a passer.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:47 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective 45 View Post
The one main difference I see is that Carolina knew that they could sign Staal long term after the trade, so in their minds they weren't trading for a player with one year left, but for a player that was pretty much a lock to sign long term.

Can any team that trades for Letang have the same amount of confidence that they can sign him to a long term extension?
Conversely, no other team made a real bid for Staal knowing this. Works both ways.

The situation with Letang and the Penguins, IMO, will be as much about a full NMC as the money when all is said and done.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
The Pens don't have anyone coming up right now and Vokoun can't be the starter playing 50+ games. I don't think Shero is going to let Fleury go and give the money to Mike Smith instead, would be a mistake

Wait and see what happens with the Canucks and Luongo, if they buy him out then maybe they will try to sign him and buyout Flower
The only way I see Flower leaving is if Luongo is interested on a low contract, say $3m-$4m or Bernier somehow is landed by us.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
You misread. I never said he couldn't. I think he is an Elite QB. If he would shoot more from the point on the PP he would score more but with the offensive talent he plays with I see why he wants to be more of a passer.
I did misread. I'm sure he would do fine anchoring a first PK unit, he's part of the second unit and I believe Bylsma prefers not to expose him in that situation that much with other guys that can handle it pretty good. also he will develop into a shutdown guy, his brain will eventually cacth up with his athleticism and he will learn to use that asset in his favor...

Old
06-20-2013, 09:55 AM
KIRK

Back to the subject at hand . . .

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425894

Here's the part on Letang:

Was there any progress in Wednesday's meeting between Kris Letang's agent Kent Hughes and Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ray Shero?

Pierre LeBrun: It was a preliminary discussion really setting the barometers of what is this conversation they're having. They're going to meet again over the next week, and again and again until there's a resolution. One thing Shero said Wednesday afternoon was that he knows all the media are speculating that he has to trade Letang this summer if he doesn't get him signed. Not necessarily. They can wait until the trade deadline while they try and sign him. On the other hand, I can tell you that I believe the message that Hughes parlayed to Shero Wednesday at that meeting is not a dime less than $7 million for Letang, which might be a tough pill to swallow for the Penguins. If you ask me, I still believe that the best package for Shero, if you can't sign him, comes this summer and not waiting until the trade deadline, although Shero said he spoke to Nashville Predators general manager David Poile about the kind of packages he got for Ryan Sutter a year-and-a-half ago and that made him think. We shall see.

Darren Dreger: I believe that Letang wants to stay with the Penguins. Why wouldn't you? You have an annual shot at winning the Stanley Cup. There are some who believe that as long as this deal has a six in front of it, 6.5 million instead of seven-plus times eight years the maximum, that he'll take that deal and he'll stay.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:56 AM
KIRK

Quote:
I think calling Letang an elite PP QB is a little generous.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
I did misread. I'm sure he would do fine anchoring a first PK unit, he's part of the second unit and I believe Bylsma prefers not to expose him in that situation that much with other guys that can handle it pretty good. also he will develop into a shutdown guy, his brain will eventually cacth up with his athleticism and he will learn to use that asset in his favor...
I don't think he ever will be a shutdown guy. He just doesn't have the defensive hockey sense to do it.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I think calling Letang an elite PP QB is a little generous.
You think so? I always felt he was so dangerous when watching him play on the PP. My gripe is why the hell doesn't be shoot more? Lol.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:03 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Shero said this morning that he hopes to have a deal with Letang done by next week

DoctrSteveBrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
He has 6 seasons under his belt. To state straight up that he will develop into a shutdown guy is absurd. It's possible, but far from a certainty.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:06 AM
KIRK

Quote:
You think so? I always felt he was so dangerous when watching him play on the PP. My gripe is why the hell doesn't be shoot more? Lol.
Have you ever seen his shot?

Actually, his wrist shot is pretty good. His slap shot, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired.

Only other issue is that his passing often is telegraphed once the PP is set up in the offensive zone. Also, the day he puts a perfectly paced and disguised one time pass into Malkin's wheelhouse will be the day that I die of shock.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:07 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
Shero said this morning that he hopes to have a deal with Letang done by next week
He said the same thing yesterday. He'll say the same thing tomorrow. He said the same stuff earlier this summer about Malkin and last summer about Staal. I wouldn't read anything into it one way or the other.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:08 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
He has 6 seasons under his belt. To state straight up that he will develop into a shutdown guy is absurd. It's possible, but far from a certainty.
No, but he could, especially with the right coach.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:08 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
He said the same thing yesterday. He'll say the same thing tomorrow. He said the same stuff earlier this summer about Malkin and last summer about Staal. I wouldn't read anything into it one way or the other.
you seem to be the one doing the reading into haha

All I did was pass along a quote from Shero. I don't care what anyone does with it

DoctrSteveBrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Have you ever seen his shot?

Actually, his wrist shot is pretty good. His slap shot, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired.

Only other issue is that his passing often is telegraphed once the PP is set up in the offensive zone. Also, the day he puts a perfectly paced and disguised one time pass into Malkin's wheelhouse will be the day that I die of shock.
Well you've seen him in action a helluva lot more than me. I'm actually shocked at your scouting report.