Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Your overall thoughts on the 6-5 OT loss

Old
06-20-2013, 09:57 AM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
We win this next game in Chicago we won't be denied in Boston. That atmosphere will be insane.

bruinswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

I mentioned this in the other Thread but what do you think about taking Both Daugavins and Thornton out of the lineup and replacing them with Soderberg and Caron?

Would you do it or would you wait until we have home ice and last change?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:01 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
Can't agree that Rask shares no fault in the other goals. Unlike the other games, his rebound control last night was not that great. A couple of the goals were due to poorly controlled rebounds. It sure would have helped if his defensemen had helped him out with clearing some of those rebounds, though.
There was one goal with a rebound right back to the shooter that he put back for a goal-but that first save was an amazing one to begin with.

Defense left Tuukka hanging out to dry too much- team gave up odd man rushes constantly and at least two of the goals were from odd man rushes-and the defense kept covering the shooter rather than eliminating the pass.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist

Overhead shot of Kelly's missed opportunity.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
It feels like a lot if missed opportunities. But that is what a close series is. Reminds me on Tampa in 2011

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

For the first time in my life my mind dwelled on a game and even now I can't shake this feeling. Seems like in games 1 and 4 there were sequences in OT that the Bruins could have simply ended it but the bounces and the shots weren't there. Marchand could have ended it.

Marchand, Seguin, Jagr, Horton, Krejci all need to wake up game 5. Better defense.

I guess the positives from last night are that it takes OTs for Chicago to beat us and our defense can't be this bad again.

Maybe this OT loss bothers me more than game 1s because its more pivotal and I now have a dislike for the hawks.

- 3 of them jump Horton in I believe period 1 but all scurry away when Lucic comes over
- Bunch of them go after Kelly but when McQuaid comes over and is ready to throw down all a sudden they don't want to fight
- Bickell pushes Chara from behind and when he turns around Bickell decides to engage Seidenberg

More that I can't remember.

Last edited by Bi Coastal Bawse*: 06-20-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
Can't agree that Rask shares no fault in the other goals. Unlike the other games, his rebound control last night was not that great. A couple of the goals were due to poorly controlled rebounds. It sure would have helped if his defensemen had helped him out with clearing some of those rebounds, though.
1st goal - 2-on-1 off a bad turnover, nicely placed shot by Handzus
2nd goal - tip, no chance
3rd goal - shot from the slot through traffic along the ice (is there even a way to control those rebounds?), makes a good effort on the rebound
4th goal - horrible pinch leads to a 2-on-1, Rask makes a ridiculous toe save which leads to a tap-in.
5th goal - another low shot through traffic that Rask makes a pad save on, Sharp pots the rebound
6th goal - partially screened, but he could have had it

Rebound control isn't about having the puck stick to your pads like Velcro. It's about catching or absorbing anything up high and redirecting the puck to the corners or to your teammates with your pads. With the three rebound control goals that Rask had, 2 of them were in way too close to worry about that; he just had to worry about making the save. The 5th one was a de facto 5-on-3. When you stop a shot with your pad on a 5-on-3, the odds are against you that the rebound will go to a good spot.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Game 5 will be very tough to win, but game 6 is an absolute must win regardless of the outcome in game 5... If we win game 5 and lose game 6 I think the series is going to the hawks. If we lose game 5 and win game 6 I think we can take the series
Just like 2011. I remember that before Game 5 in 2011 Kevin Weekes actually predicted that whoever lost Game 5 would win the last 2 games. The rest of the NHL Network panel laughed at him.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Marley

Chara played like crap. I don't think he'll have another game like that until next season.

Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:07 AM
TCL40

If the Bruins lose the series this is the game where they lost it.

I hope the team comes back more focused and does play like this again.

And Krejci himself didn't look that bad but Looch and Horton weren't creating much space and as a whole I thought that line was spending too much time in the defensive zone.

The line that was quiet last night was the new third line and I think partly because Seguin didn't have a great game-probably the worst of this series.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Killerbeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post

Ouch. He could have skated it in...

Killerbeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
If the Bruins lose the series this is the game where they lost it.

I hope the team comes back more focused and does play like this again.

And Krejci himself didn't look that bad but Looch and Horton weren't creating much space and as a whole I thought that line was spending too much time in the defensive zone.

The line that was quiet last night was the new third line and I think partly because Seguin didn't have a great game-probably the worst of this series.
Lucic either looked great or terrible last night. There wasn't much in-between. Horton didn't look good. Not sure if it was the injury or not. Krejci looks bad to me. I know he's still getting a few points here and there, but he's had a sub-par Final so far for sure.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
Rask should've had the OT goal, but the five others weren't his fault at all. Most of them were no-chancers due to the defense.

Seidenberg and Chara had an abysmal game, and Lucic's turnover was bad too.

But the positive trends are that we carried play from the mid-second period on (including OT), and Rask is clearly outplaying Crawford. If those things hold, we should win the series. Chicago's puck luck can't last that long.
Exactly how I feel. The OT was unfortunately a goal Rask probably should've had, but the previous 5, ESPECIALLY goals 2-5 were goals that unless Rask makes just some ridiculous save on, he had no chance because his defense hung him out to dry.

I fully expect Chara and Seids to be better in G5, the extra day off will help them immensely.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

I blamed this loss on my father last night.

2011 Game 2 OT he has company over for dinner they lose
2013 Game 4 OT he has company over and they lose AGAIN

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Habs killer

sloppy game, but entertaining. Bruins have to take the foot off the gas from defense man pinching down, there getting torched. I would have to believe hawks do the same, keith is a very solid D, but he was burned/out of position one to many times. i would anticipate a different flow Saturday night.

Habs killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Patty in Modesto
Rookie User

I'm pretty sure the winning goal deflected off Bergeron.

Patty in Modesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Chara getting man handled by Towes on the OT goal really bothered me as well. Get him the **** out of the crease, instead you allowed him to dictate his space. Absolutely unacceptable from Chara's POV.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:21 AM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold Barbarino View Post
Nah, not buying it. There is precisely zero game-to-game momentum in this series. Outside of the elimination games, each is just as "crucial" as the next.
I agree,the Bruins supposedly had the momentum after game 3. It's a 2-2 series, it's a clean slate,next game,particularly with the extra day's rest.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:25 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

The best team will win out in the end

The two days will be great for them (not so much for us )

Game 6 will be the most important game the bruins have played in two years, but game 5 will be where they can decide how to finish out this best of three

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post

just

But in all seriousness if our offense keeps firing like they did last night and our D is more productive, then 2 more wins will be easy.

Comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty in Modesto View Post
Here are my thoughts. Anyone claiming that Seidenberg had a bad game wasn't watching. He made ONE real mistake all game, the bad pinch leading to the fourth goal. Apart than that, he was a rock as usual. Only armchair experts expect a defenceman to play over 30 minutes of mistake-free hockey.

Bergeron was a man possessed in the second half of the game. It's just too bad we couldn't get it done for him. With Krejci looking so quiet the past 3 games, Bergeron should now be the main contender to Rask for the Conn Smythe.

While on that point, KREJCI has been invisible the past 3 games and needs to step it up. It appears that as Horton goes, so does Krejci - now that Nathan is being hampered by injury, Krejci is suddenly struggling out there. I think David really depends on his linemates to open up space for him.

For me, LUCIC is the goat of the game. That boneheaded pass which put us two men short and resulted in Sharp's goal was by far the worst mistake made by a Bruin all night. Simply inexcusable.

It's unfortunate that the series is all square at 2-2. This was the only game that Chicago even somewhat deserved to win, and they only managed to do so because we made some uncharacteristic mistakes. I will be furious if we lose this series.
Krejci is playing with one & half linemates. Horton has been very ineffective the last 3 games. Not sure why seguin can't play on that line. Then go with Pevs-Kelly-Paille on 3rd.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

vCash: 50
Another thing...Chicago played the game with 5 dmen!!!

We have to be more physical on Keith/Seabrook.

When Lucic dumped that puck from center and chased after it before it resulted in his goal was amazing. We need more of that....also...HORTON...you're not a small guy...start using your body and hit someone!

06-20-2013, 10:35 AM
KrejciMVP

tired, worn down, grumply and struggling to make it through work today. So many stupid issues with the IBM software quote Im working on.

Can`t wait to play again Saturday!!!! Go B`s

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:40 AM
nycpunk1

This loss was all about the top D-men. Watching Chara and Seids play like that was shocking.

That said, it was also about Chicago being much quicker. Not faster, quicker. Every time a Hawk touched the puck last night, they had zero doubt. Shooting, passing, moving to space--whatever they did, the decision was made long before the puck hit the tape. Not everything was one touch, but they knew where that first touch was going.

The B's looked like they were still deciding on the bench after the shift. If you're wondering D-to-D or outlet when you're making the pass, you're really choosing between a turnover and icing the puck.

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Bojakees*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty in Modesto View Post
Here are my thoughts. Anyone claiming that Seidenberg had a bad game wasn't watching. He made ONE real mistake all game, the bad pinch leading to the fourth goal. Apart than that, he was a rock as usual. Only armchair experts expect a defenceman to play over 30 minutes of mistake-free hockey.

Bergeron was a man possessed in the second half of the game. It's just too bad we couldn't get it done for him. With Krejci looking so quiet the past 3 games, Bergeron should now be the main contender to Rask for the Conn Smythe.

While on that point, KREJCI has been invisible the past 3 games and needs to step it up. It appears that as Horton goes, so does Krejci - now that Nathan is being hampered by injury, Krejci is suddenly struggling out there. I think David really depends on his linemates to open up space for him.

For me, LUCIC is the goat of the game. That boneheaded pass which put us two men short and resulted in Sharp's goal was by far the worst mistake made by a Bruin all night. Simply inexcusable.

It's unfortunate that the series is all square at 2-2. This was the only game that Chicago even somewhat deserved to win, and they only managed to do so because we made some uncharacteristic mistakes. I will be furious if we lose this series.
Will disagree on several points here. First SEIDS. He was lost on the KANE backhand where he lost 29 in front of the net and the puck and was very flatfooted got spun around as Kane passed him for the loose puck and bang...Also missed a couple hits he usually makes which resulted in some down low cycles. Game was not his fault but saying he was a rock makes me wonder how much you watched.

Secondly, while I agree Looch made a bonehead play...It was only one mistake. The rest of the game he was very solid in the hitting department again and he did score a goal. How you call him the goat of the game makes me wonder how much you watched ?

As for Krejci, while he has not scored I hardly think it is because Horton is injured. One thing has nothing to do with the other IMO and he is going against TOEWS mostly who is excellent defensively. Toews has been shut down most of the series as well and Krejci has been largely responsible for that. Sometimes you have to give credit to the other guy trying to shut you down. Obviously Chicago knew he was playing great coming in and is paying attention to the guy...Which is probably why our second and third lines have been pretty good. Next game is Saturday at 8:00PM

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote