HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Something brewing between Maple Leafs and Oilers?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2013, 10:49 AM
  #176
Slatsmsg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 669
vCash: 500
It will be Gardiner + Toronto's first for 7th overall, book it

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:50 AM
  #177
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
ChuckWoods has already debunked that whole thing. If Ranger plays in the NHL next year, it's going to be in Toronto.
Do you have a link to that? I kind of liked the Ranger possibility so if that is not going to happen, I'd like to read about that.

As for those arguing that the 7th isn't worth much more than Franson+, one of these names will be there at 7 : Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin, Lindholm or Monahan. If a GM really wanted one of those guys the Oilers pick is probably the last spot they could get one. It isn't like only the leafs are interested in trading up. The 7th has very good value, and if it is to be moved value needs to be coming back.

Leaf fans may not like it, but the organization may not view Gardiner as highly as they do. They called up other players and played them over Gardiner all season. It's very possible the team may see him as a valuable trading chip not that they have Reilly in the system.

As for these leafs proposals, if I am MacT it's very simple. Unless Gardiner is involved, the 7th isn't on the table. Not Gunnar, not Franson, Gardiner. If the leafs won't move him, then the Oilers should take whichever of Lindholm or Monahan falls to 7. They could use a 1B center anyways.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:51 AM
  #178
7even
Go on, do your duty
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Ranger and kulemin for gagner signing
Ranger isn't Leafs property.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:53 AM
  #179
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slatsmsg View Post
It will be Gardiner + Toronto's first for 7th overall, book it
You highly overrate a 7th overall pick. No way that happens. If Gardiner was an RFA and the Leafs were up against the cap and needing to move him, then maybe.

It's just not going to happen...

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:54 AM
  #180
Fogelhund
Registered User
 
Fogelhund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

Leaf fans may not like it, but the organization may not view Gardiner as highly as they do. They called up other players and played them over Gardiner all season. It's very possible the team may see him as a valuable trading chip not that they have Reilly in the system.
No, it isn't that. He had the second highest ice time in the playoffs for us, so clearly he is valued quite highly. The regular season was a two part thing, one to work on his D game, and an issue with passing through waivers if we sent people down.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:55 AM
  #181
Paradoc
6-8-5-13
 
Paradoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,847
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Every Leaf fan complained because we all know how good Gardiner is, Carlyle for whatever reason is hellbent stubborn on playing certain guys.

When you have Kostka / Fraser playing 22+ mins a night with Gardiner watching from the bench the coach is being an asshat.

Once Gardiner was inserted into the lineup the entire series shifted. He was our best D in the series along with Franson.
No true at all. Gardiner was a turnover machine when he got called up to leafs. It wasn't until the playoffs where he earned his spot, something he hasn't done during regular season.

Paradoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:57 AM
  #182
Maxxed Out
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 97
vCash: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I wouldn't even do Gardiner for the 7th overall pick in a straight swap.
Good. Glad to find something in common between two different fan's. I wouldn't do it either from Edm's perspective.

Maxxed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:58 AM
  #183
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
No true at all. Gardiner was a turnover machine when he got called up to leafs. It wasn't until the playoffs where he earned his spot, something he hasn't done during regular season.
It took Gardiner a while to get up to speed after his concussion. He did put it together in the playoffs and will be an NHL regular from here on out.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:00 AM
  #184
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxed Out View Post
Good. Glad to find something in common between two different fan's. I wouldn't do it either from Edm's perspective.
Why on earth is a 7th overall pick whom will have an impact in at least 2 years probably 3 have more value than an elite skating offensive D man still on his ELC?

Any GM would make that trade. What exactly is a 7th going to do for Edmonton next season? The goal is to improve right?

Don't worry, the Leafs are going to hang on to Gardiner anyway.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:00 AM
  #185
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
He gets plenty of attention as one of the analysts on a very popular daily hockey show so he hardly needs to drum up attention.
He's OK but you are over rating him he's hit and miss with his rumors and while he is the best hockey guy on SN he's on a Network that employs John, Shannon, John, Garett, Brad May and Doug Maclean.

Yes he's the best among them but that's like saying he's the coolest kid riding the short bus. It might be true but it's not an achievement.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:02 AM
  #186
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,980
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slatsmsg View Post
It will be Gardiner + Toronto's first for 7th overall, book it
One of the worst proposals I've seen on here. You are over valuing a 7th overall pick to the extreme.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:02 AM
  #187
beer123
Registered User
 
beer123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmen 1 View Post
Hemsky + 7th overall for Gardner + Fratten + 21 overall.... BOOK IT
Hemsky is too injury prone. The Leafs already have their own in Lupul.. can't have 2 highly paid (but skilled) wingers who get injured at least 25% of the year.

beer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:02 AM
  #188
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 500
In the video from the OP Kipper states that he doesn't believe that MacT has any interest in dropping below #20 in this years draft..

Because of this I doubt that #7 is at play, maybe it is something based around Gagner, Hemsky or Horcoff?

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:03 AM
  #189
CreeksideStrangler
Registered User
 
CreeksideStrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
No true at all. Gardiner was a turnover machine when he got called up to leafs. It wasn't until the playoffs where he earned his spot, something he hasn't done during regular season.
Not true

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:03 AM
  #190
Kyle Doobas*
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,662
vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Really? Lupul plays mostly with Kessel when healthy and when he does he plays LW JVR is also LW so yes this team needs a top 6 RW
Kulemin and Frattin can both play RW, plus it's been heavily rumoured that the Leafs will be signing Clarkson in July. A top six RW really isn't a pressing need right now at all.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:04 AM
  #191
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,980
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
No true at all. Gardiner was a turnover machine when he got called up to leafs. It wasn't until the playoffs where he earned his spot, something he hasn't done during regular season.
If you watched him play you could clearly tell he was still getting back into form after his concussion, but got better and better as he got more games under his belt. He was amazing in the playoffs

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:05 AM
  #192
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Do you have a link to that? I kind of liked the Ranger possibility so if that is not going to happen, I'd like to read about that.

As for those arguing that the 7th isn't worth much more than Franson+, one of these names will be there at 7 : Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin, Lindholm or Monahan. If a GM really wanted one of those guys the Oilers pick is probably the last spot they could get one. It isn't like only the leafs are interested in trading up. The 7th has very good value, and if it is to be moved value needs to be coming back.

Leaf fans may not like it, but the organization may not view Gardiner as highly as they do. They called up other players and played them over Gardiner all season. It's very possible the team may see him as a valuable trading chip not that they have Reilly in the system.

As for these leafs proposals, if I am MacT it's very simple. Unless Gardiner is involved, the 7th isn't on the table. Not Gunnar, not Franson, Gardiner. If the leafs won't move him, then the Oilers should take whichever of Lindholm or Monahan falls to 7. They could use a 1B center anyways.
Gardiner was recovering from an injury. It's the very reason some Oiler fans were not interested in him at all, probably until they saw the playoffs.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:06 AM
  #193
beer123
Registered User
 
beer123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 705
vCash: 500
What if the Oilers are targeting Phaneuf instead since they need a player like him more than someone like Gardiner?

7th overall pick for Phaneuf - which team needs to add?

beer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:08 AM
  #194
SnipeCheeseAllDay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
I wouldn't do Gardiner straight up for the 7th. Monahan/Lindholm are not worth Gardiner, at least not right now.

Only way I trade Gardiner (+) is for the 3rd overall. Barkov/MacKinnon or keep Gardiner.

SnipeCheeseAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:09 AM
  #195
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
No, it isn't that. He had the second highest ice time in the playoffs for us, so clearly he is valued quite highly. The regular season was a two part thing, one to work on his D game, and an issue with passing through waivers if we sent people down.
Ok, I guess we'll see how it all plays out. I think the Leafs may not be as big on Gardiner as HFleafs is. But I very well could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
It took Gardiner a while to get up to speed after his concussion. He did put it together in the playoffs and will be an NHL regular from here on out.
Well unless he gets another concussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Gardiner was recovering from an injury. It's the very reason some Oiler fans were not interested in him at all, probably until they saw the playoffs.
I don't remember too many Oiler fans being down on Gardiner. That's why he's the only guy we're even discussing in a deal around the 7th.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:10 AM
  #196
SnipeCheeseAllDay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer123 View Post
What if the Oilers are targeting Phaneuf instead since they need a player like him more than someone like Gardiner?

7th overall pick for Phaneuf - which team needs to add?
Phaneuf ain't going nowhere. He gets so much hate on these boards (including from Leafs fans) but he's a top 10 dman in the league who plays against the best forwards in the world night in and night out. And he still puts up good points, hits like a truck and is a leader.

Again, same as Gardiner, Monahan/Lindholm are not enough.

SnipeCheeseAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:11 AM
  #197
Leafs For Life*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
Gunnar for Smid?

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:14 AM
  #198
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Gunnar for Smid?
Pointless trade for both teams.
Smid is a fan favourite, loves the city, just signed a team friendly contract extension, and if Horcoff moves is a legitimate replacement captain.

Gunnar likely has similar appeal to the Leafs, I don't know how personally involved he is in the Toronto community though, so I can't comment on that.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:16 AM
  #199
MCDAVIDISH
Registered User
 
MCDAVIDISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Gunnar for Smid?
I don't think this makes much sense for the Oilers, Smid is pivotal for us.

MCDAVIDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:19 AM
  #200
gabeliscious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer123 View Post
What if the Oilers are targeting Phaneuf instead since they need a player like him more than someone like Gardiner?

7th overall pick for Phaneuf - which team needs to add?
are you serious?

1. leafs arent moving phaneuf
2. leafs arent moving gardiner
3. i doubt edmonton moves the 7th


if edmonton needs defenseman toronto should be the last place they come looking considering we had on any given night 3 ahl defenseman playing for us last season.

gabeliscious is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.