[Millions] Cammy wants out?

Old
06-20-2013, 05:29 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Sooo...

We are apparently looking at offers for Tanguay, Stempniak and Sarich. If we also moved Cammy.. anyone want to try and do a mockup roster without those guys?
I doubt we'd trade all 4. But here goes...

Glencross-Backlund-Hudler
Baertschi-#6-Horak
Bouma-Stajan-Hanowski
Byron-Reinhart/Knight/Jones-Jackman
McGrattan

Brodie-????
Giordano-Wideman
Smith/Butler/Cundari/Breen/Wotherspoon

We need more at RW. Which is why I think they will probably hold onto Stempniak for next season unless they get a mindblowing offer. Stajan is less essential to our lineup than Stempniak. Stempniak, McGrattan and Jackman are our only right shooting wingers. Hudler, Horak and Hanowski are all lefties. We need more at top pairing D.

Pretty terrible looking lineup LOL. Presumably we'd sign somebody or deal for guys that some teams can't afford to keep.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 05:36 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
With the new lottery system, its foolish to tank. The quicker you can turn things around the better
Finishing last in the league is still a 100% chance of landing a top two pick.
Finishing second last in the league is still a 100% chance of landing a top three pick.
and so on

Old
06-20-2013, 05:39 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Would be smarter to hold on to Cammalleri and Stempniak until next years trade deadline. Ideally with a new GM in place, it's a better opportunity to create a bidding war, especially since Cammalleri's NTC is limited.

Right now, teams will struggle to fit in Cammalleri's 6M cap hit, and we all know the Flames aren't going to retain salary. Both his and Stempniak's cap hits at the deadline will be small enough to ensure just about every playoff team looking for scoring will be interested. Cammalleri especially should draw a lot of calls given his playoff performance with Montreal a few years back.

Even if Cammalleri demands a trade now, there's no need to immediately oblige him. Better to tell him to play well, and at the deadline, he can be traded to a contender.
I could easily see the Flames eating some of Cammalleri's cap hit. It would only be for one year. He's moveable now. But definitely even more moveable at the deadline.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:26 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I doubt we'd trade all 4. But here goes...

Glencross-Backlund-Hudler
Baertschi-#6-Horak
Bouma-Stajan-Hanowski

We need more at RW. Which is why I think they will probably hold onto Stempniak for next season unless they get a mindblowing offer. Stajan is less essential to our lineup than Stempniak.
I think it's more likely that #6 spends a year in the A (Feaster probably takes Monahan) and Stajan is the second line center with Glencross. Unless they get someone who for some reason drops a few spots, and /or the guy they get blows everyone away at camp. Alternatively, if Feaster takes Nurse, it doesn't affect the forward lineup. I think Lindholm plays the wing if he gets picked, and perhaps the Flames make a stronger effort to go out and get guys like Filppula (and keep Cammy until the deadline). That makes the top nine look like this (in parentheses are the ages as of October 1st, 2013):

Cammalleri (31)/Filppula (29)/Hudler (29)
Baertschi (20)/Backlund (24)/Lindholm (19)
Glencross (30)/Stajan (29)/Stempniak (29)

Average age of the top nine: 26.7

Assuming solid chemistry, the top two lines switch in a couple years as the second line surpasses the first in performance (pending a Cammalleri replacement, such as Gaudreau, Hanowski, or Reinhart).

That's one signing, who has well-established chemistry with arguably the team's most talented all-around offensive forward. Lindholm is a right-hander, so Calgary could keep that center lineup for a few seasons if they chose to (perhaps down the line replacing Stajan and/or Filppula with Reinhart and/or... JAAAANKOOOOOWSKIIIII!!!!)

Add in another signing of a solid top four defensive defenseman in the next two years, and strong play from Ramo/MacDonald, and Calgary is set up for (if nothing else) some seasons in the playoffs, and perhaps even a couple series wins.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
I think it's more likely that #6 spends a year in the A (Feaster probably takes Monahan) and Stajan is the second line center with Glencross. Unless they get someone who for some reason drops a few spots, and /or the guy they get blows everyone away at camp. Alternatively, if Feaster takes Nurse, it doesn't affect the forward lineup. I think Lindholm plays the wing if he gets picked, and perhaps the Flames make a stronger effort to go out and get guys like Filppula (and keep Cammy until the deadline). That makes the top nine look like this (in parentheses are the ages as of October 1st, 2013):

Cammalleri (31)/Filppula (29)/Hudler (29)
Baertschi (20)/Backlund (24)/Lindholm (19)
Glencross (30)/Stajan (29)/Stempniak (29)

Average age of the top nine: 26.7

Assuming solid chemistry, the top two lines switch in a couple years as the second line surpasses the first in performance (pending a Cammalleri replacement, such as Gaudreau, Hanowski, or Reinhart).

That's one signing, who has well-established chemistry with arguably the team's most talented all-around offensive forward. Lindholm is a right-hander, so Calgary could keep that center lineup for a few seasons if they chose to (perhaps down the line replacing Stajan and/or Filppula with Reinhart and/or... JAAAANKOOOOOWSKIIIII!!!!)

Add in another signing of a solid top four defensive defenseman in the next two years, and strong play from Ramo/MacDonald, and Calgary is set up for (if nothing else) some seasons in the playoffs, and perhaps even a couple series wins.
Has Filppula ever played in the top-6, let alone the top line? Is there any evidence to support him being a top line centre?

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Without Tangs and Stemps yes. But that doesn't include what we get in return if we get a player like Michalek for Tanguay and get a player like Booth for Stemps then I think we are better off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
We'd be getting players in return as well; it wouldn't be purely for picks. And all trading them does is ensure that instead of 26th/27th worst in the league, we'll be dead last and be guaranteed Ekblaad/Reinhart.
Based off the last two trades Feaster has made, players might be coming back, but they might not be NHL ready. Or they might be bought out. Or they might just be terrible.

Even if no trades are made prior to the start of the season, I could still see Nemisz cracking the lineup on the 4th line. (Bouma - Reinhart - Nemisz). Maybe not full time (sharing a spot with McGrattan) but part time.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Based off the last two trades Feaster has made, players might be coming back, but they might not be NHL ready. Or they might be bought out. Or they might just be terrible.

Even if no trades are made prior to the start of the season, I could still see Nemisz cracking the lineup on the 4th line. (Bouma - Reinhart - Nemisz). Maybe not full time (sharing a spot with McGrattan) but part time.
I know that Nemisz has a big body, but is he really a fourth line kind of player? Does he play with high energy? I always thought he was more of an (albeit bad up to this point) offensive player; the kind of player who lets the game come to him.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
I know that Nemisz has a big body, but is he really a fourth line kind of player? Does he play with high energy? I always thought he was more of an (albeit bad up to this point) offensive player; the kind of player who lets the game come to him.
He's more of a two way forward, and while his offense has stagnated he's still pretty responsible defensively.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Noori

vCash: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Nothing is guaranteed.
True, but I think over the course of an 82 game season, there will be more separation among the bottom five. It won't be a race to tank like it was this year, more of long (and sad), drawn-out marathon.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:

I think Nemisz is a bust at this time. He isn't even a top 9 forward a lot of the time in Abbotsford. I really doubt he gets re-signed especially now that we have more prospects than we did. Nemisz, Cameron and Patterson all probably aren't going to be in our system next year.

Double Dion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
He's more of a two way forward, and while his offense has stagnated he's still pretty responsible defensively.
But does he provide energy. Does he go out there and drive his legs and finish checks? That's what I want on my fourth line, not a guy who is overly responsible, plays as the third guy high in the offensive zone, dumps the puck in and changes. I'm perfectly ok with a fourth liner who slips their coverage to make a big hit. They're only out there for 6 minutes against the other fourth line. Most of their mistakes aren't going to be converted against them. I would put responsible guys on the third line.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:16 PM
MarkGio

I don't understand the notion that an entire line is sent out to bang against another 4th line, and that's it. Its 6 mins a night of two barbaric lines hitting each other and that's it?

No, coaches want to get an upper hand on match ups. And coaches want guys to wear out the opposition for the next match up. Having skill on the 4th line helps the match up, and having guys who can wear guysout helps the next match up

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I don't understand the notion that an entire line is sent out to bang against another 4th line, and that's it. Its 6 mins a night of two barbaric lines hitting each other and that's it?

No, coaches want to get an upper hand on match ups. And coaches want guys to wear out the opposition for the next match up. Having skill on the 4th line helps the match up, and having guys who can wear guysout helps the next match up
Sure, yeah. There are more ways than hitting that a fourth line can inject energy. Stajan was great on our fourth line because he's a relentless skater, and he retrieves the puck well, and he can keep possession and wear down opponents by making them defend. My problem with Nemisz on the fourth line is that he wouldn't be high energy enough to really make a difference.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Sure, yeah. There are more ways than hitting that a fourth line can inject energy. Stajan was great on our fourth line because he's a relentless skater, and he retrieves the puck well, and he can keep possession and wear down opponents by making them defend. My problem with Nemisz on the fourth line is that he wouldn't be high energy enough to really make a difference.
Agreed with you and the previous poster. I just don't see Nemisz as particularly good at anything. Not a great skater, not overly physical, not a puck possession/retrieval guy. Sometimes prospects just flop.

Double Dion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:18 PM
bloggerfanthe*

The hell? From thefanblogger yesterday.

Basically #flames will listen to offers on almost every player including Bartschi.exploring all there options

bloggerfanthe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Agreed with you and the previous poster. I just don't see Nemisz as particularly good at anything. Not a great skater, not overly physical, not a puck possession/retrieval guy. Sometimes prospects just flop.
I wouldn't give up on him yet, though. If he is defensively responsible and shows us something in training camp, then by all means he could be a third line player. If Stempniak's gone, there's a good chance for him. He just needs to take it. If he doesn't seize the opportunity, though, good riddance. Feaster expects him to come prepared, though.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7venbarschi View Post

Basically #flames will listen to offers on almost every player including Bartschi.exploring all there options
Technically speaking, that possibly means they're almost listening to offers on Baertschi, but not quite. They're listening to offers on almost every player including Baertschi, but not exactly every player including Baertschi.

The only reason I would want to trade Baertschi would be for two Baertschis.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:24 PM
nik-

Quote:

thefanblogger is just some dude, no connections. He has no inside information or insight.

Basically, nonsense.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:26 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Technically speaking, that possibly means they're almost listening to offers on Baertschi, but not quite. They're listening to offers on almost every player including Baertschi, but not exactly every player including Baertschi.

The only reason I would want to trade Baertschi would be for two Baertschis.
Beartschi should not go anywhere. It will look very bad on this organization if we trade our one true, possibly elite prospect in years.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:26 PM
bloggerfanthe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
thefanblogger is just some dude, no connections. He has no inside information or insight.

Basically, nonsense.
okay thanks. Going to unfollow him. Thought he had some sources.

bloggerfanthe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

You guys should all know jay feaster and ken King will always make sure this team will be competitive. If we trade these guys away you can bet we will be bringing in a lot also in FA and in trades, no way the flames have 10+ Mil in cap space when the season starts. Last year Feaster spent big on wideman and hudler and I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same thing this year just with younger players, and if not in free agency than through trade

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
You guys should all know jay feaster and ken King will always make sure this team will be competitive. If we trade these guys away you can bet we will be bringing in a lot also in FA and in trades, no way the flames have 10+ Mil in cap space when the season starts. Last year Feaster spent big on wideman and hudler and I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same thing this year just with younger players, and if not in free agency than through trade
Last year we were trying to make the playoffs, this year we're in rebuild mode. You are right, we may be spending to the cap, but the way we get there is not likely to be through free agency. Feaster's plan is to take horrible contracts off other teams' hands, and acquire youth in the process. We are not looking for veterans unless they come packaged with promising youth.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

Quote:
Last year we were trying to make the playoffs, this year we're in rebuild mode. You are right, we may be spending to the cap, but the way we get there is not likely to be through free agency. Feaster's plan is to take horrible contracts off other teams' hands, and acquire youth in the process. We are not looking for veterans unless they come packaged with promising youth.
I realize this. That is why I wrote FA OR trades

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
I realize this. That is why I wrote FA OR trades
I know. You said that you wouldn't be surprised if Feaster did the same thing this year as he did last year. I replied that I, in fact, would be surprised, and he has basically said that he isn't terribly interested in free agency.

Trades are something we can both agree on, but not in the same way that trades would have gone down in previous years. Again, my main point was that Feaster is not going to treat this off-season the same way as previous ones.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:37 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:

Nonsense. This guy is a hack.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote