HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maple Leafs to buy-out Mike Komisarek.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:35 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerIsFuture View Post
Good guy or not, you do what's best for the team. Using a buyout on a player with only 1 year left at 4.5 cap hit is not wise. He's not even that bad of a player. It's just his paycheque doesn't justify.

A team with decent financial stability would definitely use a guy like Komisarek as a bottom 6 shut down guy. And he would come cheap. I'd take a 4th round pick for him. It's the best option for Nonis and Komi. Otherwise he endures another year in the AHL.
He's an awful player and there's a good chance he's riding pine for a good portion of the next contract he signs. A crease clearing defenseman who will do more harm than good; he'll rack up 2 minute minors and if he gets too far from the crease on the PK his brick laden skates won't allow him to get back in position quick enough, usually resulting in a goal against. He's terrible.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Ricky Bobby

If the Nucks are going to buy out Ballard what about:

Ballard (4.2 actual and cap hit x 2 years)
Conditional 4th (if he plays the 2nd year of the contract the pick goes away)

for

Komisarek (3.5 for the Nucks to buyout)

Leafs take a chance on a Dman regaining form that only has two years left on his deal. If he doesn't we just buy out Ballard or ship him elsewhere next off-season. The UFA D market isn't very good and 2 years is a shorter term that what Fernece, Scuderi, etc. will be looking for.

Nucks get a player that will cost less to buy out saving their owner a few million in the process.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Hawaiinleaf

Bad asset management if there buying him out with 1 year left..

Gives the Leafs enormous cap space this year now..but would have been better to trade for a bad contract and get an asset

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:29 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
fyi "rotting" in the ahl doesnt give a team cap relief any more

so Id say keeping his cap hit but not having him on the riser would be considerably more stupid
I think the most you can bury in the minors is 950k-1M per season, so we would save that much on our hit while he is down there.

To be honest, with only one year left on his deal, an average sized cap hit, lots of cpa space on the team and no good UFAs to spend the money on immediately right now I am in no rush to buy out Komi.

I'd much rather shop around to see if we can use our buyouts to gain assets from other teams looking to dump.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:07 AM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
If the Nucks are going to buy out Ballard what about:

Ballard (4.2 actual and cap hit x 2 years)
Conditional 4th (if he plays the 2nd year of the contract the pick goes away)

for

Komisarek (3.5 for the Nucks to buyout)

Leafs take a chance on a Dman regaining form that only has two years left on his deal. If he doesn't we just buy out Ballard or ship him elsewhere next off-season. The UFA D market isn't very good and 2 years is a shorter term that what Fernece, Scuderi, etc. will be looking for.

Nucks get a player that will cost less to buy out saving their owner a few million in the process.
I think the Leafs would be the last team to trade players for other teams to buy out. Leafs easily eat the money to erase Komisarek's cap hit with their compliance buy out.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Never Forget

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:10 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

I'd pay him 800k to be our 7th Dman. He'd get some heavy competition from mighty Drewiske however..

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeGoat View Post
I think the Leafs would be the last team to trade players for other teams to buy out. Leafs easily eat the money to erase Komisarek's cap hit with their compliance buy out.
But they might believe taking a chance on Ballard for 2 years and rebounding is a better option then giving 3+ years to free agent options.

They might also want to save that compliance buy-out to shop it around the league.

Ballard (5.628 million to buyout) vs. Komisarek (2.345 to buyout) so it'd be an easy sell to Vancouver. Vancouver might even have to retain a bit of salary.

Ballard still has the mobility and was a # 2/3 all purpose physical Dman prior to joining the Nucks so the Leafs might feel they can get him back on track.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Vitto79

yea its Wade Redden again basically. hes not very good anymore but can be a 3rd pair D in the league

duhhh the leafs are buying out Komisarek

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:24 AM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
But they might believe taking a chance on Ballard for 2 years and rebounding is a better option then giving 3+ years to free agent options.

They might also want to save that compliance buy-out to shop it around the league.

Ballard (5.628 million to buyout) vs. Komisarek (2.345 to buyout) so it'd be an easy sell to Vancouver. Vancouver might even have to retain a bit of salary.

Ballard still has the mobility and was a # 2/3 all purpose physical Dman prior to joining the Nucks so the Leafs might feel they can get him back on track.
Leafs already have six defenceman. Three are RFAs but I expect them to be resigned.

P.S. Can you shop around compliance buy outs? Just curious.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Petes2424

Edmonton bound for sure..

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:27 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post

Gives the Leafs enormous cap space this year now..but would have been better to trade for a bad contract and get an asset
Thats if you believe the Leafs were going to take Lecavalier and DiPietro to buy them out for a couple of assets. A move that would cost MLSE over $80mill. Get real guys

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeGoat View Post
Leafs already have six defenceman. Three are RFAs but I expect them to be resigned.

P.S. Can you shop around compliance buy outs? Just curious.
With Franson taking over the PP role from Liles, he's probably gone.

I'm only counting 5 Dmen with Phaneuf, Gardiner, Gunnarson, Franson and Fraser. But a team needs 7 Dmen. The UFA pool is also very weak. Ballard as poorly as he has played would still be better then Kostka, Holzer, O'Bryne.

Why can't you shop a compliance buyout to gain assets like we'll try to do to Florida with the JovoCop, Upshall contracts, Tampa with Vinny, Colorado with Jones, Columbus with Umberger, Islanders with Dipi.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Jot
P.Kane = Kessel

and holzer

Jot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:05 PM
MuchoMacho

I think this is an interesting situation to speculate on. If you're not one for conspiracy theories just humor and read this with an open mind.

Komisarek was ruined by Ron Wilson's run and gun style. Komisarek is a true stay at home defensemen that doesn't have good mobility but he's very strong and great at clearing the front of the net, along the boards and he's a great locker room guy, by all accounts. Ron Wilson's system had the offensive players leaving the zone as soon as they saw the defensemen were in control of the puck, instead of staying back for an outlet pass, this allows for a lot of offense because when that breakout pass is made, the opposing team's forecheckers are still well behind the blue line and so this leads to a lot of odd man rushes. The catch here is the defensemen needs to make that pass against the forecheckers to the forwards who aren't square to you waiting for a pass, but rather flying up through the neutral zone. It works great when you have great PMDs on the backend, but when you have guys like Komisarek trying to make those passes, it leads to turn overs galore, hence the hate on Komisarek.

Carlyle comes in and replaces that breakout system with something much more traditional and conservative. The forwards wait around the hashmarks until they break out, so instead of a 40+ foot pass, the defense just needs to dump the puck along the boards or make a quick 20 foot tape to tape pass. This is cohesive to Komisarek's game, and as you can see by several posters in this thread, he played well in this system. He wasn't in all star form, but he was gaining back his confidence and playing a solid brand of hockey.

This is where things take a turn, Komisarek is in practice and suffers an "unfortunate" injury - in the words of Randy Carlyle. The speculation at the time was that Komisarek got angry, broke a stick and got a piece of graphite in his eye. There was no speculation as to why he was angry or anything of the sort.

I need to digress for a moment to fully explain this situation. Randy Carlyle REALLY likes having players on their natural side. This was made obvious by Lupul's disagreements with him while in Anaheim. Lupul is right handed, but so is Corey Perry and Bobby Ryan. This left Lupul on the third line, and Lupul didn't like it. As soon as Lupul was traded to Toronto he was put on the top line with Kessel, on the left side, and immediately found success. He made a couple comments about it in the press. Another example being Randy Carlyle playing Korbinian Holzer and Mike Kostka for the majority of last season on the top pairing, despite the fact that neither had significant experience in the NHL at any level. Kostka was playing 23-25 minutes a night to start the season. Once he started showing he was clearly being over played, rather then putting Gunnarsson or Liles or any of the other (left handed) defensemen with Phaneuf, Carlyle elected to bring up Korbinian Holzer form the AHL to play on the top pairing. He played well for a couple games and then again proved he was in over his head. At this point, there were no other options and so Carlyle elected to play Gunnarsson on his off side along side Phaneuf. Under Ron Wilson, Phaneuf had played on his off side, while Gunnarsson played on the left. Carlyle saw improvements in Phaneuf's game and wanted to keep him on his natural side.

Back to Komisraek now, he was cleared to play from his injury and most people thought it was a matter of time till he was back in the game. At this same time Liles had also been a healthy scratch in favor of Kostka, Holzer, Franson, Fraser etc. So you had the two vets night in and night out being healthy scratches, for a long period of time. The team was winning, so everyone just chalked it up to a log jam on the defense. Eventually, as explained above, when the Kostka and Holzer experiments both came to an end, Liles was eventually brought in and started playing regularly. This left only Komisarek as the veteran healthy scratch. Keep in mind this is a Randy Carlyle type of player, a guy who wore the A on the team, and a right handed shot that Carlyle desperately needed for his top pairing. This is a perfect storm to turn Komisarek's career around and get him going again but night in and night out, he was consistently scratched.

At this point I thought it went back to the "unfortunate injury". Perhaps Komisarek and Carlyle got into a heated debate and really pissed off Carlyle and now he was paying for his mistake. At this point I thought that was the only logical conclusion. I don't remember exactly how many games it was but it was around 5-10 games after Liles had gone back into the line up and Komisarek was still in the press box, they announced that Komisarek would be sent down to the minors. I felt good for him, even though the team bus ain't the same as chartered flights and first class hotels, at least he's going to get a chance to play. But that wasn't the case, he was scratched for 8 games during the Marlies regular season (out of 15) and scratched for another 3 games in the playoffs.

Is Mike Komisarek really so bad that he's a healthy scratch on a depleted Marlies team? Frattin, Colborne, Kadri, Scrivens, Gardiner, Hamilton, Holzer, Kostka, Komarov, Fraser and Komarov were all on the Leafs roster while Komisarek was being scratched in the AHL. Is he really that bad? Did Carlyle have anything to do with him being a healthy scratch in the minors? I know that's a stretch but all I can do is speculate. There's plenty of HF posters who think Komisarek is just that bad, but that's why I went into detail above explaining why he was bad in Wilson's system but was by all accounts poised to turn things around playing for Carlyle.

Most Leafs fans would say the Leafs biggest needs are finding a stay at home right handed defensemen to play with Phaneuf... is Komisarek not even worth a look at this? I don't know what happened at that practice where the unfortunate injury took place, but I would speculate it was something that pissed off Carlyle something awful, and now out of spite, Komisarek is going to suffer.

My point? No chance Komisarek gets bought out. This rumor of him being bought are only because Nonis said to media in Boston yesterday that it is a "distinct possibility" and reporters are then squared in on Komisarek. However if I had to place a bet, I'd say buying out Komisarek is letting him off the hook and by the way he's been treated lately, I don't think that's in the cards.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
ShortSideFlick

I hope he doesn't get bought out simply because it's a waste of a buy-out.

I read your whole post (didn't want to quote it due to length ). I also thought it was odd he didn't get a shot since he's exactly the style of player we were looking for.

Consider though, that they were trying to change the culture. The players from the losing years that stayed on roster were guys that produced during the losing years. The guys that didn't: Armstrong was bought out, Connolly demoted, Lombardi traded, and Komisarek you just explained. Maybe it was more about moving on from the guys that under performed than giving them a chance to rebound.

O'byrne was traded for even though he's pretty much the same thing as Komisarek. The only reason I can think of for that is that he doesn't have any association with the leafs string of poor years.

Personally, if we ran with Kostka for that long I think we should have given Komi a shot. He had a great attitude and you kept hearing about how hard he trained. Ah well :/

ShortSideFlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Ho Borvat

If Vancouver can't re-sign Alberts I would take Komisarek on a 1 year deal for 1-1.2 million.

With Ballard and potentially Alberts gone, Van will need a couple guys to be #6/7

Ho Borvat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:43 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

I'm not surprised at this news because of the salary cap space the Leafs would be saving.

Although I kind of thought one team might have taken a chance and traded Komisarek, given that he only has 1 year left on his contract and the $4.5 million cap hit isn't that bad. There have been players with worse contracts that have been traded and they had a few years remaining. Best example is when the Rangers traded Scott Gomez to the Canadiens.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Give him less playing time and money and he can still be a serviceable dman imo.

I would welcome him back to Montreal.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I'm not surprised at this news because of the salary cap space the Leafs would be saving.

Although I kind of thought one team might have taken a chance and traded Komisarek, given that he only has 1 year left on his contract and the $4.5 million cap hit isn't that bad. There have been players with worse contracts that have been traded and they had a few years remaining. Best example is when the Rangers traded Scott Gomez to the Canadiens.
In all fairness Gomez was coming off of a ~60 point season. It would be like a team acquiring Brad Richards and hoping he continues to be a top-6 guy.

I know Komi has 1 year left, but I dont think theres enough upside to make teams bite.

Ho Borvat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post

I think the impact of the cap space to sign a free agent to bolster the team will be a lot greater then taking on a bad contract and getting like a 2nd or 3rd round pick as an asset.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Myself, and many, called that he would be a bad signing the day it happened. He was heading downhill ever since Lucic destroyed him. Markov made him seem better than he was, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazembiggs View Post
Stupid move there's no point in buying him out. Let him rot in the ahl.
This is NHL 13 thinking. What does this tell to free agents who are interested in the Toronto Maple Leafs? Buying him out is probably improving Toronto's free agents attraction.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:21 PM
CandianKingsFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
According to Nick Kypreos, the Maple Leafs will use 1 of their 2 compliance buy-outs on Mike Komisarek.

He deserves to go play somewhere, even though he's an average #6/7 defenceman on a mediocre team.

Good guy. I wish him all the best.
I disagree, I think hes a good 4-5 defenceman just didn't fit on the leafs. He was awesome in Montreal and could return to that player again on another team.

CandianKingsFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:49 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
This is NHL 13 thinking. What does this tell to free agents who are interested in the Toronto Maple Leafs? Buying him out is probably improving Toronto's free agents attraction.
If the Leafs wanted to keep Komiasrek playing in the AHL for next season to save the buyout, how is that any different then what they did with Jeff Finger? They didn't think of buying out his contract and giving him a chance to play for another NHL team. Instead he did his time with the Toronto Marlies and is now a UFA. Plus I know other teams like the Devils did that to Alexander Mogilny only a few months into the 2005-2006 season by sending him to the AHL, even though Lou Lamoriello had only signed him to a two year contract during the previous offseason.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:16 PM
nazembiggs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Myself, and many, called that he would be a bad signing the day it happened. He was heading downhill ever since Lucic destroyed him. Markov made him seem better than he was, too.

It tells free agents that they better perform or their buts gonna be in the ahl

nazembiggs* is offline   Reply With Quote