HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question for people that don't live in Pittsburgh

Old
06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
specialized

vCash: 500
I have friends that went to Detroit to watch the pens play and it almost turned into a brawl...lol it was the girls that started it all,and I'm sure a little alcohol had something to do with it to.

specialized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 04:38 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
I live in philly and usually go to one of the games during the season here.. I luckily haven't had anything too bad happen.. some heckling.. that is to be expected, but overall nothing too out of hand.. actually have been lucky enough on a few occasions to have some friendly discussions with flyer fans at games..

I dont go looking to start stuff and I just laugh off the insults, i dont take them to heart or hate flyer fans.. for me we're all there to watch a sport we all love..

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 05:29 PM
End of Line
Human After All

It's pretty much a home game when the Pens come to Columbus. No issues that I've seen.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:59 PM
pensfan1991

Thanks for the answers guys! I'm feeling better now. I'm used to (and expect) good natured ribbing, I just don't want to encounter jerks. I'm just too sensitive. The Devils fans I've met in real life have been nice so I'm not worried about going to the Rock. The Rangers fans I've meet weren't very pleasant so I'm not sure about MSG. Not to say all Rangers fans are bad but still. Thanks again!

pensfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Flicktron

I used to live near San Jose. They're all super nice and fine with it. As you're walking along the concourse, you'll get names thrown at you but that's about it.

Plus, my Wife is a Sharks fan, she protects me.

Flicktron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Syrinx
RIP MW

No problems at all in Raleigh. Of course, when the Pens are here, the fans are evenly split (same with Detroit, Philly, Rangers). Fans here are passionate (contrary to popular belief) but they aren't idiots. They just want to have fun and appreciate good hockey.

Last edited by Syrinx: 06-17-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptanaka View Post
I used to live in Columbus and go to Nationwide for some of the games. I remember going to a Pens-Blue Jackets game during the '10-11 season, and the arena would literally like the Consol when the Penguins scored. We not only outnumbered the Columbus fans during those games, we outnumbered them by a considerable margin. Granted, some Penguins fans would make the drive over from Pittsburgh, but the spectacle was impressive nonetheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
It's pretty much a home game when the Pens come to Columbus. No issues that I've seen.
You will not find a more Pittsburgh-inclined "visiting" fan than yours truly, but these are a bit of hyperbole. The ratio is probably 1/3 Pens fans in Nationwide, and they're (feels weird to me to call Pens fans "they") really loud, of which they should feel rightly proud. Hell, I do the same basic thing when I go to Bengals game in Cincy.

Just DSL, repping OT for his C-bus homies.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:40 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
You will not find a more Pittsburgh-inclined "visiting" fan than yours truly, but these are a bit of hyperbole. The ratio is probably 1/3 Pens fans in Nationwide, and they're (feels weird to me to call Pens fans "they") really loud, of which they should feel rightly proud. Hell, I do the same basic thing when I go to Bengals game in Cincy.

Just DSL, repping OT for his C-bus homies.
Since we are switching to the Eastern Conference next season, and the fact that many CBJ fans were VERY annoyed with the Pens' fans that came in and acted like they owned the place, I'm not sure that the friendly confines of Nationwide Arena will stay that way.

I'm not saying that it will turn into Philly, but there is a difference between being a good visiting fan and a tool. Bus-fulls of drunken Buffalo fans have caused issues in Columbus. Don't be "that guy". Many of us were Pens fans before we got the CBJ, we understand cheering for your own team when good things happen, just don't be drunk and stupid.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post
No problems at all in Raleigh. Of course, when the Pens are here, the fans are evenly split (same with Detroit, Philly, Rangers). Fans here are passionate (contrary to popular belief) but they aren't idiots. They just want to have fun and appreciate good hockey.
Raleigh is towards the top of my list of places I'd like to go to a game. I hear they tailgate for hockey games which I am all for. I got kicked out of the parking lot at the Columbus arena last time we played there for drinking and having a grill going about 4 hours before the game. In December

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Since we are switching to the Eastern Conference next season, and the fact that many CBJ fans were VERY annoyed with the Pens' fans that came in and acted like they owned the place, I'm not sure that the friendly confines of Nationwide Arena will stay that way.

I'm not saying that it will turn into Philly, but there is a difference between being a good visiting fan and a tool. Bus-fulls of drunken Buffalo fans have caused issues in Columbus. Don't be "that guy". Many of us were Pens fans before we got the CBJ, we understand cheering for your own team when good things happen, just don't be drunk and stupid.
1. Its the old student rush college crowd that can't afford tickets in pittsburgh that show up to games in Columbus. Its going to be an annoying group. I won't even lie, I was one of them.
2. I expect it to be a pretty solid rivalry. Yinzers will jump at the chance to dislike a division rival from Ohio. I know I'm ready for it.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Syrinx
RIP MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Raleigh is towards the top of my list of places I'd like to go to a game. I hear they tailgate for hockey games which I am all for. I got kicked out of the parking lot at the Columbus arena last time we played there for drinking and having a grill going about 4 hours before the game. In December
Tailgating is huge here. It's an offshoot of being such a college area and tailgating for football.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:07 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post

Buffalo fans are awful. Simply awful. Obnoxious as anything. Not surprised to hear that. Haven't seen many at Consol, but they were idiots at Mellon.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:26 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Columbus is a fantastic experience, cheap tickets, great arena, fantastic service staff... You can order drinks from the bar in your seats via service staff that walk the stands with PDA's. The fans are not the most knowledgable... But for what they lack in knowledge they make up for with friendliness and just the correct amount of **** talking towards visiting fans.

The area around the arena is great also, easy parking, and a good set of bars that often players visit before games for sign n go's or after games for a drink occasionally.

I caught a lot of games in Columbus due to my family relocating just an hour out of Columbus.

I'd say to anyone to go to this arena if you ever have an opportunity for a game there.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:52 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Buffalo fans are awful. Simply awful. Obnoxious as anything. Not surprised to hear that. Haven't seen many at Consol, but they were idiots at Mellon.
What is it with Sabres fans, anyway? I've never had any issues with Flyers or Caps fans, beyond some good natured back and forth, but the Sabres fans I've been unlucky enough to sit by at games have been totally insufferable.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 05:30 AM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
What is it with Sabres fans, anyway? I've never had any issues with Flyers or Caps fans, beyond some good natured back and forth, but the Sabres fans I've been unlucky enough to sit by at games have been totally insufferable.
I lived in the Buffalo suburbs for four years and Sabres fans are really annoying. Bills fans are ALMOST as bad as Steeler or Redskin fans.

The arenas I have been to as a visiting fan have been pretty laid back for the most part.

Buffalo - Only went to a couple Pens games when I lived there, fans were annoying but it was never too bad. I am not a jersey person though. My wife generally wears her MAF jersey to games in Phoenix.

DC (old arena) - Was back when we owned their barn so it was always a blast.

DC (new arena) - Cap fans are a lot more into their team now. We always had a good time though, never felt unsafe or anything.

Phoenix - Games here are a blast. People give this area a bad rap but there are actually a lot of knowledgeable hockey fans here. Even if their team isn't that great they will give props to opposing players like Sid and Geno.

Vancouver - I didn't go to a Pens game but opposing fans weren't treated to badly, just the normal back and forth.

Pittsburgh - Some Sabres friends of mine went to a Pens Sabres game with us in Pittsburgh and I was embarrassed by how some of the fans were. 75-80% of the people were really cool towards them and fun but there were more than a few yinzer dicks.

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBennett View Post
Columbus is a fantastic experience, cheap tickets, great arena, fantastic service staff... You can order drinks from the bar in your seats via service staff that walk the stands with PDA's. The fans are not the most knowledgable... But for what they lack in knowledge they make up for with friendliness and just the correct amount of **** talking towards visiting fans.

The area around the arena is great also, easy parking, and a good set of bars that often players visit before games for sign n go's or after games for a drink occasionally.

I caught a lot of games in Columbus due to my family relocating just an hour out of Columbus.

I'd say to anyone to go to this arena if you ever have an opportunity for a game there.

But still... just so no one around here gets too chummy with CBJ.... F them. New division rivals. I hate them already and I'm not even sure why.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:38 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Did a game up in whatever Ottawa's barn is called now in the 300's and had no issues. I was in home colours, the now wife was wearing Flyer orange and didn't get any flak at all. Closest thing ot being annoying was some future burger flippers tried to razz the Flyers with a "Go Phillies" chant (Phillies? Really? WTF!)

Now for going to FLyer home games, I've been told we're never going if I'm bringing my Sens or Habs jersey. was told I'll probably end up in the hospital or jail.

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I was at the Winter Classic in Buffalo. Had a big group of people around us trash talking the Steelers because they had just lost to Jacksonville in the playoffs. Meanwhile, we're sitting in the Bills' home stadium watching a hockey game and I just couldn't help but laugh at them. Just some of the dumbest heckling I've ever heard in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
But still... just so no one around here gets too chummy with CBJ.... F them. New division rivals. I hate them already and I'm not even sure why.
Its because they're from Ohio. And they probably like Ohio State. That's why you hate them.

Old
06-24-2013, 07:16 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Yes they are soon to be a divisional rivalry... Which I think will do Columbus some good. Having regional rivalry that is more attune to the people of the city will help them. Columbus is a city, being from Ohio I can say this, considers themselves more in the mold of the Eastern cities than the Central or Western cities. And the travel structure will help them a lot. Etc... So on... The shift from West to East is nothing but positives for Columbus.

They are a division rival, but visiting that arena and town in the past has always been a positive experience for me. And having a lot of family from Ohio and me being anchored in the Ohio Valley most of my life via them, I have gone to nearly just as many hockey games in Columbus as I have gone to in Pittsburgh. Only 2 less in Columbus than Pittsburgh, and I have been to a hell of a lot of hockey games over the past 5 years in everywhere from Pittsburgh, Columbus, Philadelphia, Buffalo, LA, and Anaheim.

Even with Columbus becoming a rivalry, I view that arena and town as a good place to go as a overall hockey fan for reasons stated above. And the people of Columbus as I stated before, know how to do just the right amount of **** talking while also just talking to you. So I imagine the divisional rivalry will only make that experience better.

Columbus without a doubt in my mind as a overall great hockey experience for anyone that is a fan of the sport.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Sideline

vCash: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Montreal, ACC and in Ottawa and never had any problems. At the end of the day if you go looking for problems you'll find them. Mind your own business you will be fine
Really? I've gone to games in Montreal where people tried to fight me solely because I wasn't cheering for the Habs. I wasn't drink, swearing, wearing Penguins gear, or even really cheering for the Penguins. I just wasn't cheering for Montreal and guys tried to start **** with me.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:37 AM
BeerMe

I live in Columbus and don't really run into any problems. Granted, there may actually be more Pens fans in Columbus than Jackets fans. Usually it's Detroit fans (or the occasional Cleveland fan who doesn't care about hockey but just hates Pittsburgh) that say something and even that is uncommon. It will be interesting to see if that changes with Columbus moving east and potentially getting pretty good down the road.

I actually went to a Jackets/Wings game and saw no less than three Crosby jerseys.

BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
GermanTitov

no Problems when i seen the pens play in ATL but that was mostly becuase no one was there. it was kind of like my own private hockey game. few rows from the glass for about 10 bucks with no on infront of me.

I had Snowballs thrown at me after the first winterclassic in buffalo, i didnt really mind though considering we just sat outside while it snowed a few inches. it just kind of seemed appropriate at the time.

GermanTitov is offline   Reply With Quote