HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

All-Purpose Jonathan Bernier Thread (All Bernier Talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
The Kings former Hockeybuzz blogger, basically an Eklund for the Kings with pretty much the same hit and miss chance when it comes to trade rumors. But the mod on sportsnet is interesting, can't say I know too much about him as a source.

Still, I doubt the Kings get a promising young player like Frattin AND a first rounder.
Not even close. He's worth a late first or an above avg prospect.

There's NO goaltender market. It's that simple.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Don't seem like its such a far fetch for a young and high potential player like Bernier to fetch...a young and high potential player back. If all 3 reach their potential and become all-stars, Bernier would be worth the most out of the 3

If the Philly's team scouts think that Bernier is likely to become franchise goalie and secure the position for the team for the next 10 years, do you think that Philly would be hesitant to give up Schenn or Couturier? I doubt it

For some reason, people believe the Kings has no leverage that Bernier is a RFA and that there are lots of goaltender available. But it seems that the Kings are getting quiet an interests for him. This is essentially a blind auction and GM don't know what others are offering. If a team thinks Bernier is the man then they will overpay to win the auction

Worst thing is that Bernier becomes a franchise goalie with another franchise and a team, say Philly, could have gotten him but fail to offer no more than Matt Read
It is very hard to predict who will become all stars though, and right now none of them are but an argument could be made that Couturier is closest.
What about a scenario where LA loses Bernier to an offer sheet and he becomes an all star. It won't happen as he will be traded before he is eligible to sign elsewhere. Just pointing out there are two sides to the coin.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:03 PM
SR1919

I think Kings fans need to reel in their expectations for this trade, if you look at recent talented young unproven backup goalie trades you're not going to get that much.

Halak coming off his amazing playoffs got Lars Eller and Ian Schultz
Bobrovsky got a second rounder and two fourths
Bishop got Conacher and a fourth

Considering Bernier is an RFA and has zero starting/playoff experience, his value isn't as high some may think.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Im still part of the L.A. Kings and its been a great ride, but I feel really confident and I want to get to the next level to get a real chance to hopefully be a No. 1 somewhere, Bernier told ESPN.com over the phone Wednesday. Im sure the Kings will make the right decision. If Im staying there, Im staying there. If not, Im ready for the challenge.

General manager Dean Lombardi indicated to Bernier that he would try to accommodate him if its a deal that makes sense for the Kings. The whole trade talk scenario is a new experience for Bernier.

Its actually exciting, Bernier said. But I really cant control anything. Its up to Dean. If theres the right trade for him, Im sure hell make the right call.

"I spoke with Dean at the end of the season, and he told me he can keep me there but also feels he kind of owed me the chance to be somewhere else [as a starter]. So I guess well know in the next few weeks.

Wow Trade Bernier!,... this guy wants out of LA so fast...lol
DL can take his time and get the MAX value. Seems some of you don't know the relationship Deano has with his players. He'll sign with LA if the right deal is not there and now our window is open until training camp to deal him.

If Read for Bernier was rejected at the trade deadline, I think Deano has better offers now on the table. Or at least something was added.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Really poorly researched article.

The Islanders will not have any problem reaching the floor. They are less than $10M away and need 8 players, including a starting goalie.

They aren't going to overpay, especially on a long-term deal, to reach the cap floor.
Agreed, I am not even an Islanders fan.

Bailey alone is going to get 3.5-4 mil a year.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1919 View Post
I think Kings fans need to reel in their expectations for this trade, if you look at recent talented young unproven backup goalie trades you're not going to get that much.

Considering Bernier is an RFA and has zero starting/playoff experience, his value isn't as high some may think.
....lol love these threads...ok here is my 2 cents.

I rather have Eller and keep Price woudn't you?

Wow...look who won the vezina...lol

Read the boards, everyone though it was an overpayment for Bishop.

Point being is you win some trades and you lose some. As the King's GM you want to win this one because Bernier is the best young goalie in the NHL right now ready for a shot.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:19 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Ok people Kings won't be asking for scheen or jake or nino not because bernier isn't worth it It more they cant afford it. The player in the trade for bernier won't be making more then 1.5 max. This is why people like read frattin and martin are rumour to be pieces in this deal There cheap and easy to fit in la cap situation. Still saying its a 1st + The + is however getting more and more interesting.
Sorry, I don't buy this at all. Could it be that Bernier's value isn't as high as some people expected and that his value (right now) isn't enough to warrant getting a Schenn, Gardiner, Neidereitter, Couturier? If any of them were offered at all, I'm pretty sure Lombardi would jump on it rather than saying 'I don't think I can fit these guys under the cap'.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:27 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Agreed, I am not even an Islanders fan.

Bailey alone is going to get 3.5-4 mil a year.
I think Hamonic will be getting the $3.5M-4M/year LTC rather than Bailey. If Snow sticks to tradition, I would think Bailey's contract will be more in the $2.5M-$3M/year range - more similar to the Okposo/Grabner/Nielsen contracts. With several other RFA's and signing a goalie (or two?), the Isles should be right around the cap floor even if they do amnesty/buyout DiPietro. There's plenty of money left over to actually pursue a couple of UFA's - with the condition that Wang actually greenlights more spending. The Isles are in great cap shape regardless.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:43 PM
SR1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats26 View Post
....lol love these threads...ok here is my 2 cents.

I rather have Eller and keep Price woudn't you?

Wow...look who won the vezina...lol

Read the boards, everyone though it was an overpayment for Bishop.

Point being is you win some trades and you lose some. As the King's GM you want to win this one because Bernier is the best young goalie in the NHL right now ready for a shot.
I think every GM wants to win every trade no? unfortunately the market value for unproven goalies with potential is pretty much set and Bernier's value falls in between Halak and Bishop at the time of their trades. Expecting an early first rounder or a player like Couturier, Schenn, or Voracek is not going to happen.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:45 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Sorry, I don't buy this at all. Could it be that Bernier's value isn't as high as some people expected and that his value (right now) isn't enough to warrant getting a Schenn, Gardiner, Neidereitter, Couturier? If any of them were offered at all, I'm pretty sure Lombardi would jump on it rather than saying 'I don't think I can fit these guys under the cap'.
What a gm who is more concerned with resigning and keeping players then adding pieces that are to expensive. He want to keep expenses low so he can resign brown and greene not adding players he can't afford. Belive it or not some gms look to what adding players means to the future with there team Adding more then 1.5 million would mean we would have to loose players important to our team, Cap space is very important to this trade wheather outsiders (non king fans) belive or not. This is the reason I want a 1st (have since i started commenting really in bernier trade threads) over a player like nino The 1st gives us a top player we can afford for a long time over one getting raises in a year or so. Couturier is someone that can fit 1.375 for next year and personally if we re dealing with flyers I would be asking for but hes the upper limit cash wize.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:45 PM
MeatCat

Everyone who keeps questioning whether there is a market for Bernier needs to read the Lebrun article and this bit from LA Kings Insider Jon Rosen:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/06/19...t-for-bernier/

Not sure if its been discussed, but I am very intrigued by Florida being a possible player in this. What does that mean for Markstrom moving forward?

I get the feeling Quinton Howden would be a perfect fit for the Kings on the left side. Bernier for Howden and #32 overall seems like a fair deal to me.

Still can't figure out why Florida would be one of the top 5 interested teams unless they're playing with the idea of moving Markstrom.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Unstable

Jeff Merek is on hockey central saying JB would be the best fit in NJ. But I don't know what NJ would be offering. Anyone have any insight?

Old
06-20-2013, 12:54 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
What a gm who is more concerned with resigning and keeping players then adding pieces that are to expensive. He want to keep expenses low so he can resign brown and greene not adding players he can't afford. Belive it or not some gms look to what adding players means to the future with there team Adding more then 1.5 million would mean we would have to loose players important to our team, Cap space is very important to this trade wheather outsiders (non king fans) belive or not. This is the reason I want a 1st (have since i started commenting really in bernier trade threads) over a player like nino The 1st gives us a top player we can afford for a long time over one getting raises in a year or so. Couturier is someone that can fit 1.375 for next year and personally if we re dealing with flyers I would be asking for but hes the upper limit cash wize.
Oh please. Weren't you one of the more vocal ones insisting that Lombardi would match any 2nd round compensation offer sheet no matter what the circumstance? Fitting a potential $3M cap hit for a backup goalie because Lombardi would rather keep him than settle for a measly 2nd round pick? Where was this concern over the salary cap then?

If sticking by the mantra of getting the best possible return, Lombardi will find a way to fit one of those 'big name' young guys into the lineup, we've been hearing how great a GM he is and how he'll get it done. His job is to improve the team first and foremost and obtaining any of those names for Bernier would be doing just that.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Jeff Merek is on hockey central saying JB would be the best fit in NJ. But I don't know what NJ would be offering. Anyone have any insight?
NJ makes sense but I don't see the assets.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:

Bernier relieved Quick in a game in the Chicago series, after Quick gave up 4 goals and Bernier was stellar, giving up 0 goals in the last 30 minutes. He was totally poised and looked awesome. Only 30 minutes of playoffs, but his 1.88 GAA and 9-3 record was superior to Quick...by a good margin. Every time I see him play, his poise and technique is about as flawless as I have ever seen. It shows in his performance and results.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
I think every GM wants to win every trade no? unfortunately the market value for unproven goalies with potential is pretty much set and Bernier's value falls in between Halak and Bishop at the time of their trades. Expecting an early first rounder or a player like Couturier, Schenn, or Voracek is not going to happen.
If that's the cost of acquiring Bernier, I'm fine seeing if Mason can regain his Calder form.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:06 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Oh please. Weren't you one of the more vocal ones insisting that Lombardi would match any 2nd round compensation offer sheet no matter what the circumstance? Fitting a potential $3M cap hit for a backup goalie because Lombardi would rather keep him than settle for a measly 2nd round pick? Where was this concern over the salary cap then?

If sticking by the mantra of getting the best possible return, Lombardi will find a way to fit one of those 'big name' young guys into the lineup, we've been hearing how great a GM he is and how he'll get it done. His job is to improve the team first and foremost and obtaining any of those names for Bernier would be doing just that.
Yes I am one of the more vocal of the people saying he would match a 2nd compensation offer sheet. Dean was very vocal on the subject of offer sheets. I belive it was when drew was rfa he stated he would match any sheets and would return the favour. The concern is he isnt getting a fair return on his value. Also hes stated moving him would have to make sence long term for the kings. Adding salary of a scheen or Voracek doesnt make any sence long term. They dont play lw the postion of need for the kings. We have at rw willliams and carter no way there spending 4 million on a 3rd line player. Yes they would be good players just dont make sence for the kings to try and other for a want not a need doesnt make sence. Adding the a pick makes alot more finacial sence. Coultier is at least a left shot and could in theory play lw. Dean isnt adding salary in this trade wait and see

Old
06-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Quote:
You forgot to mention that the cap went down by almost 6 million making Bernier a very affortable starter in a tandom role or lone starter on an up and comming team. That alone increases his overall value.

Never asked for any of those players, but since you brought them up.
Coots or Schenn would mean we need to move salary, and probably part ways with Stoll. We would still need a LW after that trade.

Voracek...it would cost picks and another roster player for sure. Not going to happen.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
KingsCrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaces View Post
Ben Bishop for a 2nd round pick

Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher

Lindback for essentially two 2nd round picks, and a 3rd

Bobrovsky for a 2nd round pick, and two 4th rounders

All of these goalies are better than Bernier, and you want Frattin + 1st rounder!

Can you really give LA more than what Bobrovsky got? Who even at the time of the trade was a better goalie than Bernier, and has now emerged as a veznia goalie?!

Give your head a shake, your not getting Matt Frattin and a 1st rounder.

Maybe a one-for-one Matt Frattin for Bernier swap

OR a 2nd + a couple of 4th's - that's it!
Of course there are variables in each trade situation but I think when youre doing comparables on recent trades for goalies like Bernier (i.e. Bishop, Bobrovsky, Lindback) you also have to take into account the lower cap space for next year. Tampa and Columbus has no problem fitting those types of contracts into their cap, teams like Philly/Pitt close to the cap would need those low cost contracts to go along with their high end ones. They could sign Bernier to a cap friendly RFA contract for a few years and potentially have a #1 starting goaltender. I think people are forgetting valuable that is. People get bought out or traded for a late round pick, but those players are normally worth more than that, its the cap space that has more value.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:13 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Yes I am one of the more vocal of the people saying he would match a 2nd compensation offer sheet. Dean was very vocal on the subject of offer sheets. I belive it was when drew was rfa he stated he would match any sheets and would return the favour. The concern is he isnt getting a fair return on his value. Also hes stated moving him would have to make sence long term for the kings. Adding salary of a scheen or Voracek doesnt make any sence long term. They dont play lw the postion of need for the kings. We have at rw willliams and carter no way there spending 4 million on a 3rd line player. Yes they would be good players just dont make sence for the kings to try and other for a want not a need doesnt make sence. Adding the a pick makes alot more finacial sence. Coultier is at least a left shot and could in theory play lw. Dean isnt adding salary in this trade wait and see
If were trading scheen and/or Coultier we better be getting back Rickhards and/or Corter or no deal.

Closed Thread