HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2013, 04:40 PM
  #876
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg
 
Ser Woof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 11,053
vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
There you have it folks, any argument for why always online will bring a better experience is tossed out the window. Clearly it was not in there for gaming purposes and MS just proved to us by removing it that it was for DRM.

That said, lets start a new debate now that always online is out of the way.

Xbox One = Get if you like shooters and don't play anything else.
PS4 = Get if you like RPG's/Adventure and almost everything else besides shooters.

I think thats a good oversimplification to be flamed on to get a debate going.
This is an old tired debate that simply isn't true.

Kingdom hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 15 are on the Xbox One. I'm having trouble thinking of a major RPG or Open World adventure game exclusive to either platform.

Ser Woof is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 05:17 PM
  #877
fysloc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
This is an old tired debate that simply isn't true.

Kingdom hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 15 are on the Xbox One. I'm having trouble thinking of a major RPG or Open World adventure game exclusive to either platform.
It comes down to the type of games. The way I see it is mostly asian developed games stay on the playstation, (exception konami and square enix) where the market is more of a niche and doesn't fit the north american market that well.

Take Demon's Souls for the PS3. Sleeper hit from a japanese developer that was more of a western type game. Valkyria Chronicles was also another sleeper hit with a new approach on JRPG genre that was only on PS3. Localization companies like Atlus primarily only release on consoles with dominant asian marketshare (which tends to be PS and Nintendo)

Its the type of games people like to play and their sub-genre in which you can make a generalization. I think its safe to say games from smaller studios in Japan and other parts of Asia will primarily be on PS4 over Xbox One and they have potential to make sleeper hits.

fysloc is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 05:25 PM
  #878
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
It comes down to the type of games. The way I see it is mostly asian developed games stay on the playstation, (exception konami and square enix) where the market is more of a niche and doesn't fit the north american market that well.

Take Demon's Souls for the PS3. Sleeper hit from a japanese developer that was more of a western type game. Valkyria Chronicles was also another sleeper hit with a new approach on JRPG genre that was only on PS3. Localization companies like Atlus primarily only release on consoles with dominant asian marketshare (which tends to be PS and Nintendo)

Its the type of games people like to play and their sub-genre in which you can make a generalization. I think its safe to say games from smaller studios in Japan and other parts of Asia will primarily be on PS4 over Xbox One and they have potential to make sleeper hits.
Yep there's no doubt that Sony is more indie friendly than MS. The PS4 will see more and more cool games from the smaller companies for sure.

Microsoft's insistence of charging publishers to release a game patch is great proof of that. There are already devs who will not make games for the Xbone, knowing that releasing a patch for it will cost them tens of thousands of dollars.

SeriousBusiness is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 06:56 PM
  #879
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,680
vCash: 500
Much like last generation, I'd assume that a PC and a PS4 will have 98% of the gaming market covered. Between the two you'll only miss Halo and the Nintendo franchises.

And speaking of "smaller studios," I'm interested in seeing if anybody can ever get a handle on Japan's indie scene. There's some pretty crazy **** that just gets sold on the street in Akihabara... and since Steam and Xbox may as well not exist out there, Sony and Nintendo are the only ones with a shot to try and "professionalize" them.

syz is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 07:40 PM
  #880
fysloc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Much like last generation, I'd assume that a PC and a PS4 will have 98% of the gaming market covered. Between the two you'll only miss Halo and the Nintendo franchises.

And speaking of "smaller studios," I'm interested in seeing if anybody can ever get a handle on Japan's indie scene. There's some pretty crazy **** that just gets sold on the street in Akihabara... and since Steam and Xbox may as well not exist out there, Sony and Nintendo are the only ones with a shot to try and "professionalize" them.
Japan has alot of big hit games that are never localized that I would love to play, or take forever to get to North America. With region free, you can play them but it sucks when you don't know the language and miss out on plot/story. It then comes down to how likely these niche games are going to be localized and sold.

In addition, since Asia is more or less all playstation, if they ever do get localized, it will be on playstation, with small chance the localizing company will port it to xbox.

fysloc is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 07:53 PM
  #881
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/mi...-dr/1100-4673/

I never expected them to change their policies this quickly. Thought they'd have to get their ***** handed to them for a few months.
wow... they actually crumbled. I'm truly shocked, good work everyone.

SephF is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 08:14 PM
  #882
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,680
vCash: 500
So they either assumed that the financial loss they'd take by restructuring their hardware this close to launch would be lower than the beating they'd have taken by leaving it in... or they were boldfaced lying to everybody for a couple months when they were telling us that it was all fundamental to the One's architecture and couldn't be changed.

syz is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 08:59 PM
  #883
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,338
vCash: 500
Don't get me wrong, this is great news, but...the 'always on' idea had many benefits: seamless content updates, cloud processing to improve opponent AI, etc.. There were some really good ideas in place that they can hopefully salvage.

I'm all for this system:

1. Buy a game, install it with one-time online verification.
2. Keep the disc in case you need to re-install it on the same console.
3. Play the core game offline from the disc on any other console.
4. A $10 license-transfer fee on used games, paid through XBL upon installation to a new console hard drive, that goes exclusively to the devs/publishers, and also results in the game being deleted from the original owner's console hard drive.

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 09:15 PM
  #884
InUtero
Oilers!
 
InUtero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmonton AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 50
I'm disappointed by this news. Was really looking forward to the family sharing.

InUtero is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 09:28 PM
  #885
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,729
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightEdge View Post
I'm disappointed by this news. Was really looking forward to the family sharing.
Same. it was the main reason I was thinking about getting one

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 09:33 PM
  #886
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
Japan has alot of big hit games that are never localized that I would love to play, or take forever to get to North America. With region free, you can play them but it sucks when you don't know the language and miss out on plot/story. It then comes down to how likely these niche games are going to be localized and sold.

In addition, since Asia is more or less all playstation, if they ever do get localized, it will be on playstation, with small chance the localizing company will port it to xbox.
I'd actually say just Japan is playstation.

Consoles are not allowed to be sold in China, and PC E-sports are all the rage in Korea/Taiwan.

Perfect_Drug is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 10:57 PM
  #887
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,497
vCash: 50
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22980973


Everyone can quit their outrage it seems. Power to the people.

Seedling is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 11:01 PM
  #888
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,497
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
Look at WoW for instance, that has the largest subscriber base. Has around 15K people at peak peak peak times.
Doesn't require you to "always be online".

Look at EVE. ONE SERVER. Holds what... Up tp 100,000 people?
Doesn't require you to "always be online".

So talking about a server with 2mil pop is pretty ridiculous. And it won't happen in the lifetime of the Xbone.

Always online is DRM. Plain and simple. Don't eat the ******** that M$ feeds you.
Oh okay. I thought you meant that the machine could not do it, not that the online thing was what you were referring to. Bethesda is working on a Fallout MMO. Might be out, not sure about when it was supposed to be released (Fallout MMO )

Seedling is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 11:10 PM
  #889
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22980973


Everyone can quit their outrage it seems. Power to the people.
There's still the Kinect thing. But good on MS for backing down on some of their extreme erosions of consumer's rights.


Last edited by s7ark: 06-19-2013 at 11:22 PM.
s7ark is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 11:12 PM
  #890
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
There's still the Kinect thing. But good on MS for backing down on some of their extreme erosions of consumer's rights.
Now imagine if they released the Xbone without the kinect as a secondary option while matching ps4's price... then it would be really interesting.

SephF is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 11:32 PM
  #891
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,497
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
There's still the Kinect thing. But good on MS for backing down on some of their extreme erosions of consumer's rights.
Yeah. Kinect, but think of it as a next gen Wii. That's how I will look at it. Maybe put a piece of tape over the camera when I am not using it.

It would not surprise me if they drop the Kinect. Then it would be pretty interesting to see who buys what.

Seedling is offline  
Old
06-19-2013, 11:37 PM
  #892
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Now imagine if they released the Xbone without the kinect as a secondary option while matching ps4's price... then it would be really interesting.
They'd probably win the console war in North America. Even allowing people the option of disconnecting it but selling it with the system would probably be enough.

It would even be an easy enough job to sell folks on the Kinect 2. They could pitch it as wanting developers to include some cool things using the new Kinect and developers only do that for peripherals with large install bases. Use phrases like immersive gaming. They could release some videos of things that are possible and try to convince people to use it. Show a horror game with a user selectable fear level. Kinect 2 can read the player's pulse and the game can decide when to have things jump out at you. Or some other, better ideas.

But making it mandatory makes it seem vaguely Orwellian and some people react poorly to that.

s7ark is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 12:03 AM
  #893
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Now imagine if they released the Xbone without the kinect as a secondary option while matching ps4's price... then it would be really interesting.
That would be a smart idea, but I wonder from a practicality perspective, how many fundamental changes they can make to their strategy.

SeriousBusiness is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 06:42 AM
  #894
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,948
vCash: 500
Long term, Kinect is more vital to their strategy than video games in general are. They want Kinect to dominate the living room and become as central to peoples entertainment habits as the DVR.

And if there's one lesson to be learned over the past three generations, peripherals that are not included with every console sold will never be properly supported.

SK13 is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 08:31 AM
  #895
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,055
vCash: 500
http://www.dorkly.com/article/52521/...e-announcement

Perfect_Drug is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 09:07 AM
  #896
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,424
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
There's still the Kinect thing. But good on MS for backing down on some of their extreme erosions of consumer's rights.
yeah im still anti-peeping tom

CornKicker is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 11:46 AM
  #897
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Hahahahaha! Awesome. I actually agree with the sentiment. Especially about the whole ridiculous Kinect spying thing. The same as people touting BlackBerry because your data will be military grade encrypted. Bloody stupid arguments.

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 11:53 AM
  #898
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Hahahahaha! Awesome. I actually agree with the sentiment. Especially about the whole ridiculous Kinect spying thing. The same as people touting BlackBerry because your data will be military grade encrypted. Bloody stupid arguments.
Why is it a stupid argument to be wary of a mic and camera in your house controlled by a company just caught supplying data to the nsa?

s7ark is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 11:56 AM
  #899
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets
 
EchoesoftheEighties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cosmic
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 19,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I laughed. But personally I hate Steam. I console game because I don't like PC gaming and it seemed that's what they were kind of turning the XBone into. At that point, I would just PC game

EchoesoftheEighties is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 12:07 PM
  #900
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
I laughed. But personally I hate Steam. I console game because I don't like PC gaming and it seemed that's what they were kind of turning the XBone into. At that point, I would just PC game
Why do you hate Steam?

Turrican* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.