HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
There you have it folks, any argument for why always online will bring a better experience is tossed out the window. Clearly it was not in there for gaming purposes and MS just proved to us by removing it that it was for DRM.

That said, lets start a new debate now that always online is out of the way.

Xbox One = Get if you like shooters and don't play anything else.
PS4 = Get if you like RPG's/Adventure and almost everything else besides shooters.

I think thats a good oversimplification to be flamed on to get a debate going.
This is an old tired debate that simply isn't true.

Kingdom hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 15 are on the Xbox One. I'm having trouble thinking of a major RPG or Open World adventure game exclusive to either platform.

Old
06-19-2013, 05:17 PM
fysloc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
This is an old tired debate that simply isn't true.

Kingdom hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 15 are on the Xbox One. I'm having trouble thinking of a major RPG or Open World adventure game exclusive to either platform.
It comes down to the type of games. The way I see it is mostly asian developed games stay on the playstation, (exception konami and square enix) where the market is more of a niche and doesn't fit the north american market that well.

Take Demon's Souls for the PS3. Sleeper hit from a japanese developer that was more of a western type game. Valkyria Chronicles was also another sleeper hit with a new approach on JRPG genre that was only on PS3. Localization companies like Atlus primarily only release on consoles with dominant asian marketshare (which tends to be PS and Nintendo)

Its the type of games people like to play and their sub-genre in which you can make a generalization. I think its safe to say games from smaller studios in Japan and other parts of Asia will primarily be on PS4 over Xbox One and they have potential to make sleeper hits.

Old
06-19-2013, 05:25 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
Quote:
It comes down to the type of games. The way I see it is mostly asian developed games stay on the playstation, (exception konami and square enix) where the market is more of a niche and doesn't fit the north american market that well.

Take Demon's Souls for the PS3. Sleeper hit from a japanese developer that was more of a western type game. Valkyria Chronicles was also another sleeper hit with a new approach on JRPG genre that was only on PS3. Localization companies like Atlus primarily only release on consoles with dominant asian marketshare (which tends to be PS and Nintendo)

Its the type of games people like to play and their sub-genre in which you can make a generalization. I think its safe to say games from smaller studios in Japan and other parts of Asia will primarily be on PS4 over Xbox One and they have potential to make sleeper hits.
Yep there's no doubt that Sony is more indie friendly than MS. The PS4 will see more and more cool games from the smaller companies for sure.

Microsoft's insistence of charging publishers to release a game patch is great proof of that. There are already devs who will not make games for the Xbone, knowing that releasing a patch for it will cost them tens of thousands of dollars.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:56 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Much like last generation, I'd assume that a PC and a PS4 will have 98% of the gaming market covered. Between the two you'll only miss Halo and the Nintendo franchises.

And speaking of "smaller studios," I'm interested in seeing if anybody can ever get a handle on Japan's indie scene. There's some pretty crazy **** that just gets sold on the street in Akihabara... and since Steam and Xbox may as well not exist out there, Sony and Nintendo are the only ones with a shot to try and "professionalize" them.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:40 PM
fysloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Much like last generation, I'd assume that a PC and a PS4 will have 98% of the gaming market covered. Between the two you'll only miss Halo and the Nintendo franchises.

And speaking of "smaller studios," I'm interested in seeing if anybody can ever get a handle on Japan's indie scene. There's some pretty crazy **** that just gets sold on the street in Akihabara... and since Steam and Xbox may as well not exist out there, Sony and Nintendo are the only ones with a shot to try and "professionalize" them.
Japan has alot of big hit games that are never localized that I would love to play, or take forever to get to North America. With region free, you can play them but it sucks when you don't know the language and miss out on plot/story. It then comes down to how likely these niche games are going to be localized and sold.

In addition, since Asia is more or less all playstation, if they ever do get localized, it will be on playstation, with small chance the localizing company will port it to xbox.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:53 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/mi...-dr/1100-4673/

I never expected them to change their policies this quickly. Thought they'd have to get their ***** handed to them for a few months.
wow... they actually crumbled. I'm truly shocked, good work everyone.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:14 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

So they either assumed that the financial loss they'd take by restructuring their hardware this close to launch would be lower than the beating they'd have taken by leaving it in... or they were boldfaced lying to everybody for a couple months when they were telling us that it was all fundamental to the One's architecture and couldn't be changed.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Don't get me wrong, this is great news, but...the 'always on' idea had many benefits: seamless content updates, cloud processing to improve opponent AI, etc.. There were some really good ideas in place that they can hopefully salvage.

I'm all for this system:

1. Buy a game, install it with one-time online verification.
2. Keep the disc in case you need to re-install it on the same console.
3. Play the core game offline from the disc on any other console.
4. A $10 license-transfer fee on used games, paid through XBL upon installation to a new console hard drive, that goes exclusively to the devs/publishers, and also results in the game being deleted from the original owner's console hard drive.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:15 PM
InUtero
Oilers!

I'm disappointed by this news. Was really looking forward to the family sharing.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:28 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightEdge View Post
I'm disappointed by this news. Was really looking forward to the family sharing.
Same. it was the main reason I was thinking about getting one

06-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Japan has alot of big hit games that are never localized that I would love to play, or take forever to get to North America. With region free, you can play them but it sucks when you don't know the language and miss out on plot/story. It then comes down to how likely these niche games are going to be localized and sold.

In addition, since Asia is more or less all playstation, if they ever do get localized, it will be on playstation, with small chance the localizing company will port it to xbox.
I'd actually say just Japan is playstation.

Consoles are not allowed to be sold in China, and PC E-sports are all the rage in Korea/Taiwan.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22980973

Everyone can quit their outrage it seems. Power to the people.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
Look at WoW for instance, that has the largest subscriber base. Has around 15K people at peak peak peak times.
Doesn't require you to "always be online".

Look at EVE. ONE SERVER. Holds what... Up tp 100,000 people?
Doesn't require you to "always be online".

So talking about a server with 2mil pop is pretty ridiculous. And it won't happen in the lifetime of the Xbone.

Always online is DRM. Plain and simple. Don't eat the ******** that M$ feeds you.
Oh okay. I thought you meant that the machine could not do it, not that the online thing was what you were referring to. Bethesda is working on a Fallout MMO. Might be out, not sure about when it was supposed to be released (Fallout MMO )

Old
06-19-2013, 11:10 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22980973

Everyone can quit their outrage it seems. Power to the people.
There's still the Kinect thing. But good on MS for backing down on some of their extreme erosions of consumer's rights.

Last edited by s7ark: 06-19-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old
06-19-2013, 11:12 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
There's still the Kinect thing. But good on MS for backing down on some of their extreme erosions of consumer's rights.
Now imagine if they released the Xbone without the kinect as a secondary option while matching ps4's price... then it would be really interesting.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Yeah. Kinect, but think of it as a next gen Wii. That's how I will look at it. Maybe put a piece of tape over the camera when I am not using it.

It would not surprise me if they drop the Kinect. Then it would be pretty interesting to see who buys what.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:37 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Now imagine if they released the Xbone without the kinect as a secondary option while matching ps4's price... then it would be really interesting.
They'd probably win the console war in North America. Even allowing people the option of disconnecting it but selling it with the system would probably be enough.

It would even be an easy enough job to sell folks on the Kinect 2. They could pitch it as wanting developers to include some cool things using the new Kinect and developers only do that for peripherals with large install bases. Use phrases like immersive gaming. They could release some videos of things that are possible and try to convince people to use it. Show a horror game with a user selectable fear level. Kinect 2 can read the player's pulse and the game can decide when to have things jump out at you. Or some other, better ideas.

But making it mandatory makes it seem vaguely Orwellian and some people react poorly to that.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:03 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
That would be a smart idea, but I wonder from a practicality perspective, how many fundamental changes they can make to their strategy.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:42 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Long term, Kinect is more vital to their strategy than video games in general are. They want Kinect to dominate the living room and become as central to peoples entertainment habits as the DVR.

And if there's one lesson to be learned over the past three generations, peripherals that are not included with every console sold will never be properly supported.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Perfect_Drug

http://www.dorkly.com/article/52521/...e-announcement

Old
06-20-2013, 09:07 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
yeah im still anti-peeping tom

Old
06-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Hahahahaha! Awesome. I actually agree with the sentiment. Especially about the whole ridiculous Kinect spying thing. The same as people touting BlackBerry because your data will be military grade encrypted. Bloody stupid arguments.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:53 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Hahahahaha! Awesome. I actually agree with the sentiment. Especially about the whole ridiculous Kinect spying thing. The same as people touting BlackBerry because your data will be military grade encrypted. Bloody stupid arguments.
Why is it a stupid argument to be wary of a mic and camera in your house controlled by a company just caught supplying data to the nsa?

Old
06-20-2013, 11:56 AM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I laughed. But personally I hate Steam. I console game because I don't like PC gaming and it seemed that's what they were kind of turning the XBone into. At that point, I would just PC game

Old
06-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
I laughed. But personally I hate Steam. I console game because I don't like PC gaming and it seemed that's what they were kind of turning the XBone into. At that point, I would just PC game
Why do you hate Steam?

Closed Thread