HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis - Pittsburgh

Old
06-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

vCash: 500
St. Louis - Pittsburgh

PIT gets:
Jaroslav Halak
Chris Stewart

STL gets:
Marc-Andre Fleury
Dustin Jeffrey
Scott Harrington
PIT 2014 1st rd pick

I apologize if there has been enough "Stewart to the Pens" proposals already, but I thought I would try one that didn't involve asking for Bennett or Despres.

PIT seems to have Centers and D prospects (which STL needs), and STL has wingers (which PIT needs). Too many Blues fans get caught up trying to only deal Stewie for the "mythical #1C", whereas if a deal like this went down, that would give STL two 1sts to possibly use in a separate deal to land that 1C. At least, that was my thought...

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:08 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Doesn't fill a need. We don't need defensive prospects and we need scoring.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:09 PM
SirPaste

We need offense, not another inept goalie and prospects

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:09 PM
DrDangles

A Blues fan made this? Really?

DrDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:11 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDangles View Post
A Blues fan made this? Really?
By his posts recently I am questioning if he really is a Blues fan all of them are pretty horrible for the Blues.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:13 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
PIT gets:
Jaroslav Halak
Chris Stewart

STL gets:
Marc-Andre Fleury
Dustin Jeffrey
Scott Harrington
PIT 2014 1st rd pick

I apologize if there has been enough "Stewart to the Pens" proposals already, but I thought I would try one that didn't involve asking for Bennett or Despres.

PIT seems to have Centers and D prospects (which STL needs), and STL has wingers (which PIT needs). Too many Blues fans get caught up trying to only deal Stewie for the "mythical #1C", whereas if a deal like this went down, that would give STL two 1sts to possibly use in a separate deal to land that 1C. At least, that was my thought...
This is horrible you honestly should stop make proposals for the "blues". You really don't even seem to know what are needs are. You should visit the Blues forum and trade discussion thread and talk about your ideas there.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:25 PM
DeadGator401

Pens say yup.

DeadGator401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Waffle Fries

Well, obviously this deal will never take place.

But while we're here, Blues fans, what would it take for the Pens to get one of Jaskin or Rattie?

Waffle Fries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:29 PM
DrDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post

But while we're here, Blues fans, what would it take for the Pens to get one of Jaskin or Rattie?
More than we would be willing to pay.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:29 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:

Something you don't have, a comparable center prospect.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
More than we would be willing to pay.
Probably. One day we'll have forward prospects.. one day

Old
06-20-2013, 12:35 PM
DrDangles

Quote:
Probably. One day we'll have forward prospects.. one day
Meh, we have a few in the pipe that might end up being late bloomers. Zlobin is looking very promising, Kuehnhackl looks to be top 6 or bust, Bennett obviously. We have prospect depth where we really need it right now.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:40 PM
BlueDream

Your Blues proposals are absolutely awful.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
PIT gets:
Jaroslav Halak
Chris Stewart

STL gets:
Marc-Andre Fleury
Dustin Jeffrey
Scott Harrington
PIT 2014 1st rd pick

You want to rid the Blues of what may possibly be their largest trade chip for:

A 2nd/3rd line center (in the future)
A #3-4 left defenseman
A late 1st round pick
A goaltender who routinely puts up less than a .900 save percentage in the playoffs.

In essence you want the Blues to trade a goal scorer (plus Halak) for future depth.
Depth...the strength the Blues are always listed at that has won them lo these many, might Stanley Cups.

Sounds good. Sign me up.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Meh, we have a few in the pipe that might end up being late bloomers. Zlobin is looking very promising, Kuehnhackl looks to be top 6 or bust, Bennett obviously. We have prospect depth where we really need it right now.
Helps too that you have a pair of centers that can elevate an average player's game quite a bit.

I do like Zlobin...particularly if someone can send him to a powerskating class.

(Although ze German I am really really less than enthused on, but it's a 4th rounder...)

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 04:43 PM
N o o d l e s

St Louis doesn't need another goalie by giving up Halak, and they're not going to just give away Stewart

N o o d l e s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 04:49 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Blues are trading away the two better players for futures, when they are trying to win now.

Makes no sense in any way.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

To be honest, I was trying to gauge how attached the Pens fans were to Harrington and that '14 1st. And I want to give credit to MAF and suggest that he can rebound with a change in scenery. I was kinda hoping that some Pens fans would chime in and offer opinions about the players involved, etc.

It's easy to suggest that the Blues are in "win now" mode, but I kinda get tired of seeing the same proposals over and over again, so I thought I'd come from a different angle. I wasn't expecting it to be warmly received (especially from the STL fans), but I wanted to hear some opinions and get people talking.

We really have no solid LHD's in the system, and I fear that if we don't address the future, our "contending window" will close up too quickly.

Thanks for the responses!

Old
06-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Doesn't fill a need. We don't need defensive prospects and we need scoring.
Perron, Tarsenko, Schwartz, Steen, Oshie and Backes should be able to provide scoring. The system that Hitch puts in place just doesn't net a lot of goals. I am a little surprised that this is the need for the blues.
Although I MAF would do great in a hitch system, I think Elliott will continue to do well. There just isn't enough Quality coming back to the blues.

Perro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 05:45 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Perron, Tarsenko, Schwartz, Steen, Oshie and Backes should be able to provide scoring. The system that Hitch puts in place just doesn't net a lot of goals. I am a little surprised that this is the need for the blues.
Although I MAF would do great in a hitch system, I think Elliott will continue to do well. There just isn't enough Quality coming back to the blues.
Not many of our forwards did anything in the playoffs. We had a crapton of chances, but could never beat Quick, and they are all way too inconsistent.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
You want to rid the Blues of what may possibly be their largest trade chip for:

A 2nd/3rd line center (in the future)
A #3-4 left defenseman
A late 1st round pick
A goaltender who routinely puts up less than a .900 save percentage in the playoffs.

In essence you want the Blues to trade a goal scorer (plus Halak) for future depth.
Depth...the strength the Blues are always listed at that has won them lo these many, might Stanley Cups.

Sounds good. Sign me up.
Trading goal scorers for "future depth" doesn't seem so foreign to me - I can't help but go back to the Kessel trade. Boston was in virtually the same boat as STL, after finishing 1st in the East in '09. Kessel's contract was up, and he got traded for 3 draft picks. That foresight has allowed Boston to extend their window for several years (helped out by Toronto's failure, which made those picks rather high, of course). Now Stewart's contract is up and we have a decision to make. If the team feels that they need to move on, then then should look for the best possible trade option, and if they can't find a 1C in a Stewart trade, then why not go the "future depth" route?

So let's take the goalies out of my proposal then, and use your assessments of the players I suggested:

Stewart for:

Jeffrey: A 2nd/3rd line center (in the future)
- Is he really a "future"? He's the same age as Stewie, came into the NHL in the same season, and he's also an RFA this summer. On a team loaded at C, he still managed to play in 24 games this season, either at LW or at C when Malkin went down. I could conceivably see him slotted in at the STL 3C if we go with Backes and Berglund as our 1C and 2C next season (which seems very likely). I would REALLY love to hear some Pens fans' view of Jeffrey at this point in his career.
Harrington: A #3-4 left defenseman
- Yes, a lefty who could presumably replace Jackman in the lineup when his contract expires in 2 years. Or, if injuries come about, I hear that Harrington is NHL-ready at the moment for emergency purposes.
A late 1st round pick
- I guess we can't really assume how late this pick will be, but I see where you're coming from. Again, my thought is that it would give the Blues two first-round picks next year from which to assemble a package to possibly get that elusive 1C.

Like I said, I was expecting to get some heat from the proposal, but my hope was that someone might understand where I was coming from. Thanks for the feedback.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

No from Pittsburgh. Stewart would be a nice project, but soon to be expensive - we can't be giving up any more 1sts, and we need a prospect like Harrington more than any in hockey.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:04 PM
DrDangles

Quote:
Jeffrey: A 2nd/3rd line center (in the future)
- Is he really a "future"? He's the same age as Stewie, came into the NHL in the same season, and he's also an RFA this summer. On a team loaded at C, he still managed to play in 24 games this season, either at LW or at C when Malkin went down. I could conceivably see him slotted in at the STL 3C if we go with Backes and Berglund as our 1C and 2C next season (which seems very likely). I would REALLY love to hear some Pens fans' view of Jeffrey at this point in his career
If you expect Jeffrey to ever be 2nd line center you're going to be disappointed. He might pan out as a decent 3rd line center, most likely a solid 4th liner that can generate a little offense and doesn't have hands of stone.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
No from Pittsburgh. Stewart would be a nice project, but soon to be expensive - we can't be giving up any more 1sts, and we need a prospect like Harrington more than any in hockey.
Interesting. Does Harrington project higher than Dumoulin, Maatta or Pouliot? I'm very curious to see how these 4 are slotted by Pens fans.

Quote:
If you expect Jeffrey to ever be 2nd line center you're going to be disappointed. He might pan out as a decent 3rd line center, most likely a solid 4th liner that can generate a little offense and doesn't have hands of stone.
Oh no, I see him as bottom-6 only (I was quoting Multimoodia when I inserted the bold "2nd" part), specifically a #3C that would allow us to slide Sobotka back to LW.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Waffle Fries

Jeffrey can definitely be a solid 3C if given the chance. He'll never get that in Pittsburgh though.