HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Video Games III

Old
06-20-2013, 09:06 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
Ha! Thanks to Microsoft for being little *****es and hiding in the corner like a beaten dog. *******.

Still getting the PS4.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:32 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
http://www.geek.com/games/the-new-xb...tters-1559532/

Another article about the features that are going away. Kinda bummed TBH. I'll probably still get one though.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:35 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

Another article about the features that are going away. Kinda bummed TBH. I'll probably still get one though.
This hits everything I'm pissed about perfectly:
Quote:
Microsoft attempted to bring new features to a digital ecosystem in the hopes of making a bigger and better version of systems people use all day every day with Steam, Google Play, the Apple App Store, and countless other digital storefronts that peddle content you only own a license to. The users, or at least a huge collection of people who were told to feel offended by these policies, lashed out and convinced Microsoft to see the error of its ways. In return we get a beefier Xbox 360 to compete with Sony, whose current console has somehow managed to survive with its reputation intact after being offline for 24 days*after being hacked twice, bricking consoles*with bad updates, and issuing updates that flat out*removed features that were offered at launch.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Just goes to show you...trying to be heavy handed dicks to your buyers doesn't pan out well.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Theu weren't being heavy handed dicks to their buyers. Another perfect example of being uninformed. Read the geek.com article.

This is a case of where a large portion of the buyers really di nt know what's goos for them.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:34 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
This hits everything I'm pissed about perfectly:
Quote:
Theu weren't being heavy handed dicks to their buyers. Another perfect example of being uninformed. Read the geek.com article.

This is a case of where a large portion of the buyers really di nt know what's goos for them.
It's not even the only article of its type. Multiple articles are coming out now about all the features that had to get nerfed because of the changes.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Chokers Unite!

Quote:

Eh, none of those features seem that cool or innovative to me. So discs aren't going to be tied to my account. I guess that means I'll still have to take care of the discs, put them in the Xbox to play them, and take them with me if I go somewhere else. Big deal. I'm happy to deal with that if it means I can lend a game to a friend for free without having to be part of a "family circle," which I'm also not crazy about. Maybe that's because I don't really game with people I don't know IRL, but I don't see a lot of benefits from it besides the ability to demo a game before buying it. Which Microsoft could still easily allow if they're going to have a digital marketplace.

On another note, NBTW, you were talking about cloud computing possibly being used to handle backgrounds and such. This would require a constant, stable internet connection, right? So what would happen to someone like me, who has a ****** modem which drops its connection for 30 seconds once or twice an hour? It's hard for me to imagine cloud computing becoming a serious part of gaming when there are still a lot of people like me who don't have a stable connection.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Agreed. I'm highly disappointed

This is bad for gamers in general.

Thanks a lot, people who *****ed about the features they didn't even understand.
I wouldn't go that far. There are plenty of people who understood those features, but didn't desire them. There are still many proponents of physical media out there. Just because something is "forward thinking" and different than the current standard doesn't make it an improvement.

I don't need to tie in ten family members to the game I buy if I have a disc. I don't need to stream my game from "the cloud" (is there a more misappropriated term in technology than "the cloud" right now?) at my friend's if I can simply bring a disc with me.

I get the idea of a steam-like marketplace, but this halfway there concept that they were proposing with the XB1 seems like the worst of both worlds, not the best.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I read it....I don't give a crap about being able to loan out games to family members. The article was a thinly veiled MS support piece, looking for a chance to take any shot it could at Sony.

I do love the Xbox 180 comment....funny.

"The users, or at least a huge collection of people who were told to feel offended by these policies, lashed out and convinced Microsoft to see the error of its ways. In return we get a beefier Xbox 360 to compete with Sony, whose current console has somehow managed to survive with its reputation intact after being offline for 24 days after being hacked twice, bricking consoles with bad updates, and issuing updates that flat out removed features that were offered at launch."

This comes across as smug and suggesting that users don't have a clue, which is incorrect all the while taking what limited shots they can at Sony. Stop being so defensive. MS failed, but someone maybe even them will try again and get it right somewhere in the future.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 06-20-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old
06-20-2013, 01:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Eh, none of those features seem that cool or innovative to me. So discs aren't going to be tied to my account. I guess that means I'll still have to take care of the discs, put them in the Xbox to play them, and take them with me if I go somewhere else. Big deal. I'm happy to deal with that if it means I can lend a game to a friend for free without having to be part of a "family circle," which I'm also not crazy about. Maybe that's because I don't really game with people I don't know IRL, but I don't see a lot of benefits from it besides the ability to demo a game before buying it. Which Microsoft could still easily allow if they're going to have a digital marketplace.

On another note, NBTW, you were talking about cloud computing possibly being used to handle backgrounds and such. This would require a constant, stable internet connection, right? So what would happen to someone like me, who has a ****** modem which drops its connection for 30 seconds once or twice an hour? It's hard for me to imagine cloud computing becoming a serious part of gaming when there are still a lot of people like me who don't have a stable connection.
If I remember a certain FORMER MS employee's position, it was tough cookies, move to a better place with a better Internet connection!

Old
06-20-2013, 03:33 PM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

My PS3 lasted about 5 years, my 360 died twice in that time - granted they were replaced for free, but also Sony gave an orgy of freebies for their network being hacked. The point is it's easy to take shots at these companies but they're all in it to make money and not piss off consumers.
Now gamers taking shots at other gamers for not wanting an Xbox One - "uninformed," "don't know what's best for them" - Microsoft isn't a charity. They don't produce art for arts sake. The DRM and daily check in features were added to make them more money, Sony didn't add them to make more money, Microsoft took them away to make more money. The fact that they were removed a week after preorders started is concrete proof that it's about money and not some evolutionary leap.
Also, the 10 people family lending was just going to be a half hour demo, not real lending.

cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 04:45 PM
hb11xchamps

I don't really care too much about the family sharing thing being taken away but the whole not having to use a disc because your game was in the cloud thing would have been sweet. I hate lugging around games everywhere or having them damaged. It would have saved time and packing space if you went on vacation, which our family does a lot since we have a place at the beach.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Cush
-inator

My launch era 360 lasted until Jan 2011. Never had it repaired or replaced

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
I don't really care too much about the family sharing thing being taken away but the whole not having to use a disc because your game was in the cloud thing would have been sweet. I hate lugging around games everywhere or having them damaged. It would have saved time and packing space if you went on vacation, which our family does a lot since we have a place at the beach.
I certainly agree with you....eventually not being forced to have the physical disk will be nice... never have to worry about it getting damaged, etc...

It will come without the other draconian stuff...

Old
07-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Cush
-inator

Steam Summer Sale:

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 02:47 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...-gold-account/

Game DVR functions on Xbox One require an Xbox Live Gold account

Skype and "TV Guide" features also need $60/year subscription.

I think someone was skoffing at the Sony subscription idea in the past....not sure...

Microsoft recently confirmed that its gameplay DVR system records a rolling sample of the last five minutes of gameplay, compared to 15 minutes of buffer on the PlayStation 4. That footage is recorded at 720p and 30 frames per second on the Xbox One, Microsoft told IGN, regardless of the source resolution and frame rate.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 08-07-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old
08-07-2013, 03:34 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that any online gaming features required XBL Gold.

Can't imagine this would be a deterrent for anyone. $5/month is nothing when you're paying $500 for a system and $60 for games.

Old
08-08-2013, 02:20 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:

I don't give a single **** about any of those features.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Xaroc

Quote:
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that any online gaming features required XBL Gold.

Can't imagine this would be a deterrent for anyone. $5/month is nothing when you're paying $500 for a system and $60 for games.
I agree, aside from the fact you can get Xbox Live heavily discounted if you bother to look around, $5 a month for how much I use Xbox Live for multiplayer is a bargain.

Oh and you are paying for multiplayer on PS4 now too.

I am irritated we still have to use discs and the family sharing thing is gone but people couldn't see the future so I guess they get what they deserve (Discs and no easy digital sharing). Give me the Steam+ vision Microsoft had lined up every day and twice on Sunday.

Xaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 10:36 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaroc View Post
I agree, aside from the fact you can get Xbox Live heavily discounted if you bother to look around, $5 a month for how much I use Xbox Live for multiplayer is a bargain.

Oh and you are paying for multiplayer on PS4 now too.

I am irritated we still have to use discs and the family sharing thing is gone but people couldn't see the future so I guess they get what they deserve (Discs and no easy digital sharing). Give me the Steam+ vision Microsoft had lined up every day and twice on Sunday.
Completely with you.

I can't recall any other time one company was so widely panned for its attempt at innovation while another was so widely praised for an incremental upgrade, especially by a community like gamers, who one would think would be much more forward-thinking.

I blame the 16 year olds on /r/gaming.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 08-09-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old
08-09-2013, 12:58 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Uhhhhh Microsoft already announced you will be able to have a disc or digital copy.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Devil Dancer

The attitude of MS as a whole toward gamers up to and through E3 was so cynical and greedy, I think I'm getting a PS4. I know Sony isn't any better at its core, but at least they pretended not to be total *******s effectively.

Also, Sony isn't going to charge for multimedia features I'll actually use, and I don't game online, so my choice is pretty clear.

And for the record, i came into E3 expecting to stick with MS this generation.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

"See the future"

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 01:50 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

I'm curious to see which platform will have the worst launch issues.

Old
08-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Xaroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Uhhhhh Microsoft already announced you will be able to have a disc or digital copy.
Yes you can have a digital copy but now you want to share it with your kid who is away at college? Too bad you are out of luck. Before they could have had access to it via the family sharing plan.

Now if you want to share you need to have a physical disc and hand it to whoever you are sharing it with. So that means you can't play it while they have it and when you can play it you have to have a disc in the drive.

Xaroc is offline   Reply With Quote